Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 5th Mar 08, 11:06 AM
    • 1,872Posts
    • 5,996Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Cheaper Water Bills Article Discussion
    • 5th Mar 08, 11:06 AM
    Cheaper Water Bills Article Discussion 5th Mar 08 at 11:06 AM

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

Slash The Cost Of Water Bills

To discuss or ask a question about this article: click reply
    Last edited by MSE Researcher; 14-06-2010 at 4:19 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 22
  • water man
    For those in the Severn Trent Water region, there will be a very cheap shower head offer at the beginning of February.
    • anotheruser
    • By anotheruser 18th Feb 15, 6:51 AM
    • 2,547 Posts
    • 1,503 Thanks
    anotheruser
    I think a lot of the "tips" are simply awful and not really worth doing.

Don't flush if it's just a wee?
    Okay, but then enjoy a honking toilet area after a while. Plus, if you're ill, you want something clean rather than something that is likely to make you throw up even more, surely?

Take showers:
    I'm sure most people do this already these days. I take more baths in the winter, however I am one of the increasingly small numbers of people who still have a bath! A lot of modern houses only have showers - converted by "investors" who want to keep costs down.

Turn off the tap when brushing your teeth:
    Seriously... who lets the water run while brushing teeth? That's simply laziness.

Steam your veggies:
    I would say only old school people boil vegies these days. I don't know anyone who does; they stir-fry or steam. And with the advent of "steam in the bag microwave" becoming more and more popular, boiling really is a thing of the past.

Clean the car using waterless valeting products:
    You've tried this yes?
    They are awful and don't clean anything, especially at this time of year.

Fill up empty bottles while you wait for [the water] to heat up:
    I didn't think of this one, but 1) I don't have spare plastic bottles around for this 2) My tap takes only a few seconds to heat up

Fish tank water is good for plants:
    Perhaps the only good tip so far...

Use rainwater for flushing the loo:
    But spend lots setting a system up, or spend time doing it all manually. Both of which a lot of people don't have, especially with the eco flushes of today.

Fix leaky taps:
    Why anyone wouldn't is beyond me. If it's broken, FIX IT! Not just for the 500ml you might save over the year, but because it's broken!

Turn off the tap when you shower:
    I spend less than 5 mins in the shower as it is, but having water constantly soaking me, I feel is cleaner as it's washing away dirt straight away.

-------

I don't understand people who are paying 500 a year!
    I pay 200. In the past I have paid 143 for the year - non metered. Perhaps my local water company is just cheap as chips.

Personally, water isn't something that will save me mega bucks, so the extra 20 I may spend over the year, if I was metered, isn't worth the hassle.

Just my opinion, of course :P
    Last edited by anotheruser; 18-02-2015 at 6:53 AM.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 18th Feb 15, 9:07 AM
    • 27,099 Posts
    • 13,217 Thanks
    Cardew
    I don't understand people who are paying 500 a year!
    I pay 200. In the past I have paid 143 for the year - non metered. Perhaps my local water company is just cheap as chips.

Personally, water isn't something that will save me mega bucks, so the extra 20 I may spend over the year, if I was metered, isn't worth the hassle.

Just my opinion, of course :P
    Originally posted by anotheruser

Your points in the post above about your situation are negated by this last statement. If you are non-metered it doesn't matter how much water you use - you pay the same.

To only pay 143 a year non-metered simply means your property has a low rateable Value(RV) which was probably assessed as long ago as 1973 based on the rent the property could then command.

You are correct that there is a huge disparity between water costs in UK with some areas(the South West) paying over 3 times as much as some other areas.

On your point about not understanding 500 bills, The average consumption in UK is approx. 55 cubic metres per person per year. So for a family of four, 220 cubic metres.

The average cost in UK is 2.50 to 3.50 per cubic metre for water/sewerage. So that would cost 550 to 770 pa and on top of that are standing charges for both water and sewerage and Surface Water Drainage(if applicable)

In the South West that would cost over 1,000.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 18th Feb 15, 9:09 AM
    • 9,939 Posts
    • 4,091 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    (Don't flush if it's just a wee?
    Okay, but then enjoy a honking toilet area after a while. Plus, if you're ill, you want something clean rather than something that is likely to make you throw up even more, surely? )

A number of toilet blocks are available from the Ezypeezy to Aldi 99p for 3 that keeep the water a nice smell free blue .
  • andferdav
    Why is water so expensive in Scotland?
    We pay a fortune in Edinburgh for water and sewerage. I looked at what it would cost to be metered and it seems it would be no, or not much, cheaper.

We used to live in Kew and had Thames Water, meter already installed as it was a new build property and paid a LOT (hundreds of s/year!) less than we do in Scotland.

Water shortages in the S.E. but plenty of water in Scotland so why so expensive? and why are they discouraging water meters with such high prices?
  • trcy1066
    Smelly wee
    I follow the 'if its yellow, let it mellow'. I close the loo lid and keep the bathroom window open all year. My bathroom never smells.
    Actually, as of yesterday, I now wee in a pot by the loo to use on my compost. Less than 24 hours into this experiment I have already noticed a mild aroma so will have to find an eco friendly way to counter this.
    • MontyWolverine
    • By MontyWolverine 30th Sep 15, 4:17 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MontyWolverine
    Why have you not listed Welsh Water???
    • bangon
    • By bangon 28th Dec 15, 9:41 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    bangon
    Affinity Water charges query
    Hi - Just got my metered water bill from Affinity and looked back at charge increases since May 2013 when I switched to metered supply - which I estimate has saved my family of 4 (medium-water users)at least 200 per year We use approx 3.5 cubic meters per week, essentially 4 adults in the house as my children are both 18 or over and living at home.

The reason for this post is I noticed the sewerage charges have increased by over 6% in each of the last 2 years. Thames Water provide the sewerage services for Affinity in my area (central). I have 2 main questions:

1. I thought the water companies were regulated and could not raise charges by more than a set amount (6.26% in June '14 and 6.16% in June '15 for sewerage seems excessive to me?).

2. Affinity currently charges me 0.7943 per cubic meter for waste water - whereas Thames Water charges their own customers only 0.5233 per cubic meter??? Why such a HUGE discrepancy???

Any insight would be appreciated on both counts.

Note that water charges have increased at a much lower (headline) rate of
    0.56% in June '14 and 2.73% in June '15.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 28th Dec 15, 11:53 PM
    • 27,099 Posts
    • 13,217 Thanks
    Cardew
    Hi - Just got my metered water bill from Affinity and looked back at charge increases since May 2013 when I switched to metered supply - which I estimate has saved my family of 4 (medium-water users)at least 200 per year We use approx 3.5 cubic meters per week, essentially 4 adults in the house as my children are both 18 or over and living at home.

The reason for this post is I noticed the sewerage charges have increased by over 6% in each of the last 2 years. Thames Water provide the sewerage services for Affinity in my area (central). I have 2 main questions:

1. I thought the water companies were regulated and could not raise charges by more than a set amount (6.26% in June '14 and 6.16% in June '15 for sewerage seems excessive to me?).

2. Affinity currently charges me 0.7943 per cubic meter for waste water - whereas Thames Water charges their own customers only 0.5233 per cubic meter??? Why such a HUGE discrepancy???

Any insight would be appreciated on both counts.

Note that water charges have increased at a much lower (headline) rate of
    0.56% in June '14 and 2.73% in June '15.
    Originally posted by bangon

I think you are incorrect about Thames water sewerage charges

https://www.thameswater.co.uk/tw/common/downloads/literature-water-waste-water-charges/Our_Charges_2015-16_(web).pdf
    For 2015/16, the volume charge

for water is 126.29 pence per cubic

metre, and for wastewater is 79.43

pence per cubic metre.

The 0.5233 you quote is per RV for those unmetered properties( in certain areas)

To put things in perspective look at the charges for South West Water customers:

https://www.southwestwater.co.uk/media/pdf/3/n/Household_Charges_Scheme_2015-2016.pdf

Water costs 1.9810 per cubic metre and Sewerage 3.3436 per cubic metre + standing charges for both.

The reason for the discrepancy in charges was that when water was (stupidly) privatised, the number of properties/businesses and commitments were totally unbalanced.

So the Thames area(including London) has a huge amount of customers and a small area. Compare that with the South West(Devon and Cornwall) with a sparsely populated, but huge area with a commitment to look after the long coast line - so Londoners can holiday there in clean water!

• bangon
    • By bangon 29th Dec 15, 12:26 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    bangon
    Thanks for the reply - missed the 'RV' bit :O). Appreciate the vast differences in regional charges - think it has a lot to do with captive markets - we should all pay the same for water we use.
    • Welshlassie
    • By Welshlassie 3rd Feb 16, 4:34 PM
    • 1,723 Posts
    • 2,983 Thanks
    Welshlassie
    Hi just realised that I can get 1.5% discount on my DCWW water bill if I pay the full amount up front by on 1 April. As I still have a couple of months before this is due and they run annual bills on a 10 months payment basis I also have Feb and march payments (and Feb and March council tax payments) to put towards this and then can save up each month thereafter to be ready for next years - thereby giving me a monthly outgoings saving of about 10 per month.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 3rd Feb 16, 7:06 PM
    • 27,099 Posts
    • 13,217 Thanks
    Cardew
    Hi just realised that I can get 1.5% discount on my DCWW water bill if I pay the full amount up front by on 1 April. As I still have a couple of months before this is due and they run annual bills on a 10 months payment basis I also have Feb and march payments (and Feb and March council tax payments) to put towards this and then can save up each month thereafter to be ready for next years - thereby giving me a monthly outgoings saving of about 10 per month.
    Originally posted by Welshlassie

Not clear if you are saying you get 1.5% discount for paying water bills up front or 1.5% on water charges and council tax.

If 1.5% saves you 120 a year, it means your total annual bill is 8,000!!
    • Welshlassie
    • By Welshlassie 4th Feb 16, 2:17 PM
    • 1,723 Posts
    • 2,983 Thanks
    Welshlassie
    Not clear if you are saying you get 1.5% discount for paying water bills up front or 1.5% on water charges and council tax.

If 1.5% saves you 120 a year, it means your total annual bill is 8,000!!
    Originally posted by Cardew
    I get 1.5% on my DCWW bill if paid in fill on 1 April instead of monthly over 10 months - which is the DD rate.

To ensure I have this money available on 1 April without dipping into my savings my monthly water bill (for 10 months) is 44.66, which I won't be paying in Feb and March - 89
    I won't be paying Council Tax in Feb and March 354.
    Total 443.32 which is about how much my annual water bill is, ready to pay on 1 April. I can then put 36 per month aside for the next 12 months to be ready for 1 April 2017. Thereby having about 10 extra a month for other things.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 4th Feb 16, 6:39 PM
    • 27,099 Posts
    • 13,217 Thanks
    Cardew
    I get 1.5% on my DCWW bill if paid in fill on 1 April instead of monthly over 10 months - which is the DD rate.

To ensure I have this money available on 1 April without dipping into my savings my monthly water bill (for 10 months) is 44.66, which I won't be paying in Feb and March - 89
    I won't be paying Council Tax in Feb and March 354.
    Total 443.32 which is about how much my annual water bill is, ready to pay on 1 April. I can then put 36 per month aside for the next 12 months to be ready for 1 April 2017. Thereby having about 10 extra a month for other things.
    Originally posted by Welshlassie

I am not sure if you are joking or serious!

If you are serious then you have a serious case of creative accounting!

Your 1.5% saving on your water bill for paying 'up front' on 01 April would have saved you 6.70 a year.
    • surfsister
    • By surfsister 9th Mar 16, 7:28 AM
    • 7,234 Posts
    • 10,694 Thanks
    surfsister
    cheaper h20 bills
    tips

wash the car when it rains & the rain rinses the car
    collect leftover boiling water in kettle for later
    fill bottles at mates who has no water meter!!
    collect excess water in pipes when running hot water to water plants/fill kettle/soak washing up
    re-use hot water bottle water for house plants
    pay direct debit for bill on santander account get cashback
    Last edited by surfsister; 09-03-2016 at 7:31 AM.
    • Kerensamad
    • By Kerensamad 9th Mar 16, 9:26 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Kerensamad
    Save shower and condenser dryer water for use around the house
    We keep a water butt in the bath to catch the water that runs cold before getting into the shower. It's cold for 30+ seconds before it reaches a reasonable temperature. The water saved is used to wash up (boiled first in an old kettle), pet drinking water, water the plants, etc. We save the water from the condenser dryer too (we don't give that to the pets as it may have detergents in it). The small electricity cost increase to heat the water is off set by the huge water cost saving, and we're helping the environment in not being water-wasters.
    • Davesquire
    • By Davesquire 10th Aug 16, 10:46 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Davesquire
    Slash money by fitting a meter
    Thank-you Martin and team for continuing to save us money. You have been a great help over the years.
    Unfortunately, in this particular instance I have to disagree with the advice provided on water meters.
    When we moved home we automatically had a meter fitted, despite my protestations - I had two young children and a baby.
    The water company (for the Bedfordshire area) LIED to us, stating that it was legislation forcing them to fit water meters. I actually checked on this and legislation had been passed to offer the water companies the option. My understanding is that the water companies were then leaned on to fit meters, but it was still not compulsory, contrary to the LIE that I was told by their customer services.
    My water costs shot up!
    If we are forced into privatisation of our water source (something that, unlike mobile phones, we really cannot do without) then we at least ought to be offered competition. My own view is that this was a cynical attempt by greedy businessmen to profiteer out of an essential service. I bet a pound to a penny that the majority of politicians have shares in the various water companies - Kerrrchhinnng!
    I really feel that this is one area that the MSE collective out to be fighting on - a fairer system, including competition. I appreciate that providing clean water costs money, but disagree with the business model.
    Any thoughts?
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 11th Aug 16, 9:52 AM
    • 27,099 Posts
    • 13,217 Thanks
    Cardew
    Thank-you Martin and team for continuing to save us money. You have been a great help over the years.
    Unfortunately, in this particular instance I have to disagree with the advice provided on water meters.
    When we moved home we automatically had a meter fitted, despite my protestations - I had two young children and a baby.
    The water company (for the Bedfordshire area) LIED to us, stating that it was legislation forcing them to fit water meters. I actually checked on this and legislation had been passed to offer the water companies the option. My understanding is that the water companies were then leaned on to fit meters, but it was still not compulsory, contrary to the LIE that I was told by their customer services.
    My water costs shot up!
    If we are forced into privatisation of our water source (something that, unlike mobile phones, we really cannot do without) then we at least ought to be offered competition. My own view is that this was a cynical attempt by greedy businessmen to profiteer out of an essential service. I bet a pound to a penny that the majority of politicians have shares in the various water companies - Kerrrchhinnng!
    I really feel that this is one area that the MSE collective out to be fighting on - a fairer system, including competition. I appreciate that providing clean water costs money, but disagree with the business model.
    Any thoughts?
    Originally posted by Davesquire
    Several thoughts!

Firstly The Water Act that brought in metering was, and is, a disaster in many respects. Not least that the companies are in a win/win situation - which has been reflected in their ever increasing share price.

The Water Act made meters compulsory for all new properties in April 1990 and the aim was that eventually all existing properties would be metered.

The Act contained a concession that existing properties could elect to remain charged on the basis of their Rateable Value(RV) but water companies could insist on a meter being fitted on change of occupant. Some companies enforced that provision - others didn't bother.

The RV of a property was calculated on the notional rent(not value) it could command when last assessed - which for most properties was in 1973(or up to 1990 for properties built after 1973)

The RV assessment was an archaic system that depended on size, location and modernisation of property(e.g. Central heating, modern bathroom/kitchen, garage etc.).

The Water Act also decreed that any substantial improvement to the property, that would have affected its RV should entail a meter fitted. Naturally owners did not bother notifying the water companies, and the water companies don't bother checking; so properties continue to be charged on a RV that is often a nonsense. I have posted before that I know of an old cottage with a peppercorn RV, that was demolished and a huge 7 bedroomed house built - with full planning permission - and it still retains the same RV.

You need to understand how water companies have their finances controlled by the Regulator(Ofwat). Under a 5 year plan companies can raise XXX million and make yy million profit provided they meet certain targets.

The reason water companies largely didn't bother the enforce meter in older houses was that it made no difference to the revenue they could raise. If you, and thousands of others, continued to pay less on RV rates, then they can raise charges for metered customers to compensate - a cross-subsidy.

The surely can be no justification for you(and thousands of others) to remain on RV based rates potentially using unlimited amounts of water simply on the basis of a 1973 rental valuation.

The costs water companies incur is governed by the commitment placed upon them by the Regulator. This is why the South West with a large area and long coastline and relatively low population pay up to 3 times as much as other areas. Competition will do little to reduce those costs.
    • cazscash
    • By cazscash 14th May 17, 10:57 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    cazscash
    Had a water meter fitted about 9 months ago. 2 people in a 3 bed semi. Bill has gone from 57 per month to 21. We use a water butt in the back garden as much as possible and keep a small bucket in bathroom to catch the cold shower water, we collect a bucket a day and water the garden with it.
    Worth persuing if you're in a similar situation.
    Also received a cheque as they took too long to install it had to chase it up 3 times.
    Last edited by cazscash; 14-05-2017 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Extra added
    • catus
    • By catus 13th Jun 17, 12:02 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    catus
    Business water comparison
    Is there any easy way to compare prices?

Than
    ks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,677Posts Today

7,285Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Interesting result so far in my Twitter Poll double header... While 50% prefer GIVING gift vouchers to cash, 70% pr? https://t.co/zKgxQfLNAb

• Today's twitter poll PART 2: Some feel giving cash is a bit gauche, so prefer to go with a gift voucher (GV). If? https://t.co/YMr1VUflay

• Today's twitter poll PART 1: Some feel giving cash is a bit gauche, so prefer to go with a gift voucher (GV). If? https://t.co/OfKhh4pF2w

• Follow Martin