Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving > Knock down wall between seperate bathroom & t... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Knock down wall between seperate bathroom & toilet?
Closed Thread
Views: 9,312
# 1
KiwiB
Old 01-03-2008, 11:00 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Knock down wall between seperate bathroom & toilet?

Evening all,

This is my first post, so please be gentle with me!

We bought a 3 bed house last year with a very small bathroom, right next to a very small seperate toilet.

Both rooms need work, but we are unsure of whether or not it would be worthwhile knocking down the dividing wall. I am of the opinion that it maybe cheaper and easier to keep the rooms seperate, however my partner thinks that it would add value to the house if we had one larger combined room rather than two pokey rooms.

We are not planning to stay in this home forever, so I am not keen to spend unnecessary cash on large projects like knocking down walls unless it will add value to our home...

What are your thoughts?
# 2
sutwam
Old 02-03-2008, 2:16 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi

We knocked down our dividing wall between the bathroom and toilet and stole a little of the landing to create a large room, and for us it is well worth it.

Perhaps you could speak to local Estate Agents and get their opinions as they know the housing market in your area and what would help your house sell.

Good Luck!
# 3
martin1018
Old 02-03-2008, 7:24 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Hello KiwiB, and welcome to MSE,

I would guess that your new house is fairly old. We have a 1930s house which had the same layout and we did exactly as you are planning.
Expect to do more than just knock the wall down and patch up - although if thats all you have to do thats a bonus.
When I did it I had to replace the ceiling as the join would never have looked anything and would have annoyed me. All you need to do is put new plasterboard over the old ceiling and skim over. Likewise the join where the wall came down, but in my case all the plaster came off in the entire room as it had 'blown' and come away from the bricks in many places. Whilst this gave a good finish it was a messy job which caused many trips to the local tip with plaster and brick rubble. However the resulting job was spot on and it does give you a great opportunity to rearrange the room and fit it out to its best potential.

Have fun!
# 4
chuckles1066
Old 02-03-2008, 7:29 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiB View Post
Evening all,

This is my first post, so please be gentle with me!

We bought a 3 bed house last year with a very small bathroom, right next to a very small seperate toilet.

Both rooms need work, but we are unsure of whether or not it would be worthwhile knocking down the dividing wall. I am of the opinion that it maybe cheaper and easier to keep the rooms seperate, however my partner thinks that it would add value to the house if we had one larger combined room rather than two pokey rooms.

We are not planning to stay in this home forever, so I am not keen to spend unnecessary cash on large projects like knocking down walls unless it will add value to our home...

What are your thoughts?
Well, first of all you want to be checking whether the wall you're proposing to knock down is load-bearing or not, otherwise your whole world could come crashing down around you.......literally
You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky

Any advice that you receive from me is worth exactly what you paid for it. Not a penny more or a penny less.
# 5
hardpressed
Old 02-03-2008, 11:53 PM

I would say it depends if you have another toilet. If you do then go ahead, but a three bedroomed house with the only toilet in the bathroom is going to be awkward for a family if someone is having a bath and someone else needs the loo.
# 6
hardpressed
Old 03-03-2008, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Mac View Post
Most people over the age of 40 probably grew up in houses with only one toilet. We survived.
Well yes I agree with you, in fact we had an outside loo, and it didn't flush! But I still prefer a separate loo if it's the only one in the house.
# 7
KiwiB
Old 03-03-2008, 8:08 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks all for your replies! I think we will probably go ahead... after we have priced everything up and checked that it's not a load bearing wall (I don't think it is). BTW, we are also putting in a downstairs loo... so hopefully will tick all the boxes...
Closed Thread