Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Phones & TV > Utility Warehouse - account cancellation (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Utility Warehouse - account cancellation
Closed Thread
Views: 5,827
# 1
Adrew
Old 27-02-2008, 9:14 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Utility Warehouse - account cancellation

Hello, I am in the process of cancelling my UW account in full which included home phone.I have ben a member for about 5 years which included a call diverter in the form of a pink pig (shape of their logo), however these were made obsolete when new technology routed the calls without the diverters.Consequently I removed it and I think got binned. They are asking for it back or £29.99... in the era of free 'throwaway' routers,(usually after fulfilling a contract period) it seems a bit over the top for something that is only fit for the bin. Is it worth speaking to offcom or are they as useful as the pink pig. Is there any way around the fee? I would be grateful for any sensible suggestions...thanks
# 2
billsavings
Old 28-02-2008, 2:05 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...lus+router+pig
# 3
BexTech
Old 28-02-2008, 2:29 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

That's UW for you.
It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
(OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
# 4
Heinz
Old 28-02-2008, 9:41 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BexTech View Post
That's UW for you.
Here's what Martin had to say about them:
Quote:
"Utility Warehouse. The multi-utility provider (also called Telecom Plus) has sometime been the cheapest energy provider. It is a ‘network marketing’ organisation, which means it's sold by current customers, who are paid commission, to their friends and family.

This means its customers often evangelise about its pricing unbeatability, based on marketing info. Yet, this simply isn’t true. The pricing structure involves discounts the more utility services are taken. However, Telecom Plus’s home phone service especially should be avoided as it is uncompetitive (see Cheapest Home Phones)."
Much of the advice on residential telephony I have given over the past 9 years or so is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
I will continue to help with Orchid programming whenever possible.
# 5
Quentin
Old 28-02-2008, 10:14 AM

The only silver lining to all this is that you will recoup the £30 in next to no time in the savings you are now going to make by moving everything previously with uw to proper utility companies. (You save at least £21 a year by not paying their "membership" fee).

Also use quidco or energyhelpline etc for as many switches as you can to get some cashbacks to offset the £30.

And make sure you tell everyone to avoid the uw!
# 6
jhp
Old 28-02-2008, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinz View Post
Here's what Martin had to say about them:
Didnt Martin write that ages ago ? ,before they changed their homephone prices.

Leaving aside the dreaded membership fee for one moment.

BT Connection Fee £125 . Telecom Plus £99.99p
BT Calling Feature,s apart from caller display £1.50p. Telecom Plus Calling Features. £1.
BT Line Rental Paper Billing £11.00. Telecom Plus Line Rental Paper Billing £9.99p.
BT Peak Geo Call 3.25p a min. Telecom Plus 2.5p a minute.
BT Off Peak Geo 4.5p a call 60 minutes. Telecom Plus 3.5p a call for 75 minutes.

Same 0845/0870 rates as BT and Free 01/02 calls to other members.

Home Phone Prices not as bad as you might think,reading your quote.

Last edited by jhp; 28-02-2008 at 5:03 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jhp For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Adrew
Old 28-02-2008, 6:32 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

thanks everyone
# 8
Quentin
Old 28-02-2008, 8:08 PM

Peak calls via T+ 6p connection fee then 2.5p/min (All plus VAT)

Peak calls via BT with 1899 5p (inc VAT) connection fee then free for as long as you talk.

Off peak calls via BT and Primus are totally free.

T+ won't allow you to use Primus or 1899!

And you left aside the membership fee "for one moment", then forgot to return to it.

It's at least £1.76/month.
# 9
Heinz
Old 28-02-2008, 8:52 PM

Didn't I read somewhere that their customer contact departments recently all changed to 10p/minute 0871 numbers too?
Much of the advice on residential telephony I have given over the past 9 years or so is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
# 10
jhp
Old 29-02-2008, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinz View Post
Didn't I read somewhere that their customer contact departments recently all changed to 10p/minute 0871 numbers too?
According to their site they now use 0844 5p numbers,or its free if you pay a bit more for your membership.

https://www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk/s...tact.taf?exref=

Last edited by jhp; 29-02-2008 at 2:14 AM.
# 11
jhp
Old 29-02-2008, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post

Peak calls via BT with 1899 5p (inc VAT) connection fee then free for as long as you talk.

Off peak calls via BT and Primus are totally free.

And you left aside the membership fee "for one moment", then forgot to return to it.

It's at least £1.76/month.
Yes i am fully aware that that their are cheaper suppliers if you mix and match, and dont move your line rental away from BT. My point was their Home Phone Prices were not as bad as you might think reading the very old quote.

Last edited by jhp; 29-02-2008 at 2:31 AM.
# 12
Mike by the Sea
Old 29-02-2008, 2:08 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Send a message via Skype™ to Mike by the Sea

OK Guys

Let's not cloud the issue with facts.

Quote:
They recently changed to 0844 numbers and calls to customer services and tech support are included if silver or gold membership is taken out.

Quote:
I thought that BT was also 6p connection and UW does include VAT.

Quote:
Since when? I have no problem using either.

As for call costs, their pricing structure is different to providers such as BT and, if you wanted to have an equivalent to Option 2 3, it will be cheaper than BT.

I could go on, but the original thread was asking for sensible suggestions with regard to the pig.

Hi Adrew

I would go back to UW and explain that, although the pig was required initially when it was a call diverter, it wasn't required when the system converted over to CPS (3 years ago?).

Unfortunately, at that time, UW didn't request the return of the pig and I assumed that it wasn't required. My wife / husband / partner / significant other and I have search the whole house from top to bottom but can only assume that must have been thrown out.

Good luck

Mike

As a note, the pig's are still used for cable customers and are a re-usable piece of kit in this disposable world.
Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught - Sir Winston Churchill

Last edited by Mike by the Sea; 29-02-2008 at 2:16 AM.
# 13
jhp
Old 29-02-2008, 2:21 AM

MIke.

I think Quentin is referring to BT,s Free Evening and Weekend Call Offer if you sign a 12 month rolling contract. Not the one you pay £3.45p a moment for.

Have you moved your line rental to UW,if so how do you manage to use Primus, i thought only BT allowed you to CPS your calls to another supplier.

A friend of mind uses them and whenever i raise the membership fee,he says its worth that just to get everything on one bill,and the free 24/7 geographical calls.So you do have your fans.

Last edited by jhp; 29-02-2008 at 2:29 AM.
# 14
Mike by the Sea
Old 29-02-2008, 2:42 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi jhp

You got in before me with some of the comments. I was in draft for so long.

You are right about Primus, but I have customers using that route - as you can use another CPS with UW - they charge an extra £3 line rental. Or, use BT and CPS your calls through UW.

We do have some fans out there, somewhere. I still think it's hard to argue with the independent reviews of their products and customer service in relation to the vast majority of other providers in the market. (hides under desk).
Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught - Sir Winston Churchill
# 15
Quentin
Old 29-02-2008, 8:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhp View Post
According to their site they now use 0844 5p numbers,or its free if you pay a bit more for your membership.
It is more than "a bit".

The cheapest membership is £1.76 every month.

To get the free calls to contact them you pay either £2.35 or £3 every month.

So where do you see any savings with them?
# 16
Quentin
Old 29-02-2008, 9:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike by the Sea View Post
I could go on, but the original thread was asking for sensible suggestions with regard to the pig.
But you mislead us with the matters you have gone on about:

You say you have no problems using Primus or 1899.

If uw customers want to use another cps (eg Primus), then they must pay an extra £3 every month on their line rental. You "forgot" to mention that until prodded.

But in fact it would be £4 wouldn't it? You also never mentioned the £1 minimum charge every month from uw. Then add in the membership fee - how can it possibly compare with BT for cost?

So what would be the possible reason money savers would want to use uw for their landline?

You say uw is cheaper than BT for options 1 and 2 - but there is no monthly minimum call charge with BT. And as already shown all off peak calls are free via Primus with BT, and peak calls are only 5p each via 1899. (UW charge 6p for each connection plus the 2.5p per minute).

So where is there any saving at all?

As always, don't forget the monthly membership fee on top at uw.

Remind us, what is the membership fee for?
# 17
Mike by the Sea
Old 29-02-2008, 11:51 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi Quentin

With regard to 1899 and Primus, I was just pointing out that it was possible, I didn't make any claims regarding value for money with Primus. I agree that it is more costly, but your statement was that UW didn't allow it, which was inaccurate.

Also, I said that UW would be cheaper than BT for Options 2 and 3 - and as regard call costs, there is a written guarantee. Quote "Every month we compare the prices we have charged for each call against BT current prices, and we will give you an additional credit if necessary to ensure we are cheaper". - That's good enough for me.

At the end of the day, it is horses for courses and it is always interesting that every time UW is mentioned, these types of things come up, but the original question from the OP wasn't about joining UW, it was looking for some suggestions regarding the pig, which I responded to with something to try. At the end of the day we are on here to learn and support and I, for one, will be interested to see if this, or any other approach works.

Mike
# 18
Quentin
Old 29-02-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike by the Sea View Post
Hi Quentin

With regard to 1899 and Primus, I was just pointing out that it was possible, I didn't make any claims regarding value for money with Primus. I agree that it is more costly,...........

Also, I said that UW would be cheaper than BT for Options 2 and 3 - and as regard call costs, there is a written guarantee. Quote "Every month we compare the prices we have charged for each call against BT current prices, and we will give you an additional credit if necessary to ensure we are cheaper". - That's good enough for me.
You seem easily satisfied, then.

But this site is for moneysavers (not uw reps to push their products).

So what is the point of joing the uw for your homephone if you want to have the cheapest set up.

And what is the point of joining uw and then using Primus (at an extra £3 a month) when you then have to pay uw more than you would have to pay BT?

You even admit yourself that this is more costly via uw!

Comparing prices of calls with BT is another useless feature for moneysavers.

Moneysavers don't pay BT for their calls! As already pointed out the way to do it is to have free calls off peak via primus, and free calls during the peak period for just 5p connection fee via 1899.

UW charge 6p connection fee plus 2.5p per minute as you know.

Post here to help moneysavers, not to try and justify your own company.

Who, just to remind everyone, charge the following on top of the monthly rental:

At least £1.76 membershio fee.

And 6p connection fee plus 2.5p per minute for every call made during peak periods.

And at least £1 every month minimum charge

And £3 every month if you want to use primus (which you can use free if you use bt for your line rental)

And £10 in advance when you sign up.

And £30 for a "free" pig if you leave, and don't return it.

Why not help us save money instead of trying to take advantage of this platform to advertise your company all the time? You could easily have pointed out the extra cost involved in using primus with uw instead of just trying to score points - which now has backfired anyway, as no-one (except a uw rep) would pay an extra £3 every month to be able to use a free service)
# 19
Mike by the Sea
Old 29-02-2008, 12:39 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Just responding to innaccuracy.

Quote:
Why not help us save money instead of trying to take advantage of this platform to advertise your company all the time?

L & K

Mike
# 20
Heinz
Old 29-02-2008, 12:43 PM

Quentin, since he started posting in May 2006, MBTS has been regularly sailing close to the wind with posts which many view as blatant promotion of UW/Telecom Plus (of which he is a 'distributor').

I clearly touched a nerve when I posted Martin's opinion of the company (from 2006 IIRC) and, unfortunately, he went into attack mode again. Sorry. My fault.
Closed Thread