IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Voucher for help with cat/dog vaccinations
Closed Thread
Views: 66,227
# 21
Nomad25
Old 01-03-2008, 6:58 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

elvis girl: I checked this a.m. and nope as usual we [NI] are at the ar** end of nothing. Mind u I don't think I'd qualify as mine are done on an annual basis.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad25 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 22
elvis girl
Old 02-03-2008, 8:37 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

No I didn't think so either but just thought i would check if anyone knew different.
# 23
alison240
Old 04-03-2008, 11:30 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

National Vaccination Month - 10 per injection at ALL Vets4Pets practices until 31st March
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alison240 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 24
humpy999
Old 05-03-2008, 8:22 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

>>I dont have my pets done every year as i have seen so much research that it is unnecessary as the protection does not run out for a good few years, and can also cause more problems by over-vaccinating.

>>I have not had her vaccinated since 2001 until today and then that will probably last her another 6-7 more years.

Sorry, this just isn't true for Feline Leukaemia and it's not true either for Canine Leptospirosis. These components need boosting every year.

Futhermore there is no treatment for either of these diseases, by the time a diagnosis is made it is often too late so rushing your pet to the vet won't help. I frequently hear of dogs dying from suspected cases of Lepto although cat deaths related to FeLV seem to be less frequent I am not aware of current figures. It used to be quoted as the second biggest killer of cats.

Last edited by humpy999; 05-03-2008 at 8:27 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humpy999 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 25
bexnste
Old 05-03-2008, 1:03 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I've got 3 little kittens that need the full course of vaccinations which works out very expensive!

Does anyone know why they have to be over 18 months old to use the voucher???
I got a letter from my vet telling me the offer would save me 25 each & the website isn't letting me have one :-(

Great for all the animals who will benefit though! :-)
# 26
Bob63
Old 05-03-2008, 2:57 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by divadee View Post
I have not had her vaccinated since 2001 until today and then that will probably last her another 6-7 more years.

.... so we are responsible pet owners!!!

.....but i personally feel over-vaccination can cause problems.
Bar-room science and complete piffle. You are irresponsible pet owners IMHO.

Not vaccinating your animals puts them and other people's animals at risk. Please tell us where you got your veterinary degree from or cite the research you have studied which definitively states over vaccination causes problems.

Mike
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob63 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 27
wendy73
Old 05-03-2008, 5:17 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi, just to let you all know that if you go to Vets4Pets during March you can get vaccinations for 10 per injection regardless of whether it's a booster, first course or restart course i.e. full course of 2 injections = 20

No vouchers required.

The Following User Says Thank You to wendy73 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 28
davefromwales
Old 05-03-2008, 7:21 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiuLoong View Post
At our practice we have had no contact to be involved in this particular scheme, this is the first I've heard of the vouchers! We have been aware of the vaccination month and we are running a scheme so that people whose older animals have missed vaccinations can restart for the price of a normal booster.

My point is just that vets on the list are not necessarily better or more caring.. they've just been invited to join!! I think its related to which brand of vaccinations you use but thats irrelevant really.
Yes, it's Intervet that are running it, so unless you're using Nobivac I don't suppose you'd be able to participate.

D
# 29
divadee
Old 05-03-2008, 8:18 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy.mike View Post
Bar-room science and complete piffle. You are irresponsible pet owners IMHO.

Not vaccinating your animals puts them and other people's animals at risk. Please tell us where you got your veterinary degree from or cite the research you have studied which definitively states over vaccination causes problems.

Mike
i will state some science research projects later when i have more time.

but i dont have to justify myself to you or anyone else. What we do with my vets knowledge and advice is up to us.

We are very responsible pet owners, it is not an issue of cost but over vacination can cause numerous problems, one mainly being cancer of the injection site, which kills within weeks.

Humans are not vaccinated every year against various illness/disease. my vet and us both agree that it is not necessary to be vaccinated every year.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to divadee For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 30
snowman2
Old 05-03-2008, 11:05 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Some facts about the scheme from someone who's has 2 surgery's running it:
  • It is available only to practices that use Intervet or Schering Plough vaccines (Nobivac or Procyon)
  • Dogs or Cats have to be over the age of 18 months and not be vaccinated in over 18 months
  • You pay for a booster price and the 2nd vaccine 2 - 3 weeks later is free. You should get a health check included in the price
  • It shouldn't cost more than 50 according to Intervet - we don't charge anywhere near that amount so I don't know if that is a hard and fast rule.
  • Log on to www.vaccinationmonth.co.uk - download your voucher, check your nearest participating vet, book appointment and take in your voucher
  • The voucher only asks for your pets name and post code
  • If you can't print the voucher, ask your vet to print one off. This is officially approved by the organisers.
  • The web site will list all local practices on a map and whether they are participating or not
  • You must have the first vaccine done in March and the second by the end of April (end of September for Rabbits)
  • Vets4Pets are not in this scheme, they use vaccines from Pfizer. Any offers are part of their marketing campaign to take advantage of the publicity. Check for any small print. I don't know the details of this.
I hope this helps clarify the offer. Over 70% of cats are not up to date with their vaccines, over 50% of dogs (can't remember exact figures) and over 90% of rabbits aren't protected against Myxo. I think the campaign is a good idea although we lose money as a practice (we only get the cost of the vaccine back, not any lost consultation fee). What we are promoting is good, preventative healthcare and a thoughtful approach to looking after your pet.
The Following User Says Thank You to snowman2 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 31
maisie_debs
Old 21-03-2008, 1:25 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Thank you very much for this post standingupformyself. We took Sylvester the cat on Saturday for his jabs using this offer, it would have been 40.50 with out the voucher but we paid just 29.??, so thank you very much for the saving

Maisie & Sylvester!

Weebles wobble but they don't fall down!
# 32
continualdiamond
Old 21-03-2008, 8:12 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Thanks for the post about vets4pets. My dog was due his booster in January, so he's not that much over, so couldn't of used the original voucher. But OH is recently unemployed, so wondered when and how we'd afford his booster jab. 10 is great and a vets4pets is within a good distance.

Thank you sooo much for posting, it has (well will) help us out a lot
Met online in 2000
Moved from Australia - UK 2003
Got married 26.08.11
Lost 8 stone & appeared in a magazine in 2012
Featured in a weight watchers booklet in 2013 + 2014
Mummy to Scarlett - October 2013
# 33
bravobeastie
Old 06-02-2009, 10:10 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

http://www.vaccinationmonth.co.uk/

The voucher will be available to print out in May 2009
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravobeastie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 34
stphnstevey
Old 07-02-2009, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman2 View Post
Some facts about the scheme from someone who's has 2 surgery's running it:
  • You pay for a booster price and the 2nd vaccine 2 - 3 weeks later is free. You should get a health check included in the price
  • It shouldn't cost more than 50 according to Intervet - we don't charge anywhere near that amount so I don't know if that is a hard and fast rule.
So this is not free? You have to pay for the booster?
# 35
UKTigerlily
Old 07-02-2009, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stphnstevey View Post
So this is not free? You have to pay for the booster?
Snowman said the second part of the course is free, the whole lot won't be free no
# 36
cattie25
Old 25-02-2009, 5:32 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default help with vouchers

When i go the website it tells me i cant download a voucher until June. I also can't find the list of particpating vets. Please help as i just lost my job and to oget my 2 cats done is gonna set me back 94.......of which i have none!!
# 37
iluvjohnsarg
Old 27-02-2009, 10:02 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by humpy999 View Post
>>I dont have my pets done every year as i have seen so much research that it is unnecessary as the protection does not run out for a good few years, and can also cause more problems by over-vaccinating.

>>I have not had her vaccinated since 2001 until today and then that will probably last her another 6-7 more years.

Sorry, this just isn't true for Feline Leukaemia and it's not true either for Canine Leptospirosis. These components need boosting every year.

Futhermore there is no treatment for either of these diseases, by the time a diagnosis is made it is often too late so rushing your pet to the vet won't help. I frequently hear of dogs dying from suspected cases of Lepto although cat deaths related to FeLV seem to be less frequent I am not aware of current figures. It used to be quoted as the second biggest killer of cats.

I don't wish to put the cat amongst the pigeons and become Mrs Unpopular, but I find this whole article rather worrying.

As humpy said in her post (quoted) a responsible owner should be getting their cat vaccinated annually for it to be continually effective. I care for my cat like I would a human. They're semi-wild and come into contact with all sorts of less cared for and feral cats, so require protection against diseases. When you take on a cat you're taking on a life, so please don't treat it like a play thing and when the costs mount up abandon it or get it put to sleep. Treat it like you would a child, and if you can't afford to do that get a fish or small caged animal.

I'd rather this money was spent on neutering or educating owners than people using it for overdue vaccinations.

These are my views and some people may not agree, but this is a forum for opinions and I'm an animal lover.

x
The Following User Says Thank You to iluvjohnsarg For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 38
sammy10
Old 27-02-2009, 12:16 PM
MoneySaving Convert

We have had a letter from intervet at our practice to say that this is now going to be running in June instead of March due to the shortage of Lepto vaccs
The Following User Says Thank You to sammy10 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 39
clipboard2
Old 08-04-2009, 10:05 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by divadee View Post
I have just had mine done!!!! my registered vet was doing this promotion anyway. The first lot of jabs cost me 47 as i went for everything + feline lukemia, and then the next lot in 3 weeks is free.

I dont have my pets done every year as i have seen so much research that it is unnecessary as the protection does not run out for a good few years, and can also cause more problems by over-vaccinating.

My vet has never had a problem with this, and he treats my cat no differently.

I have not had her vaccinated since 2001 until today and then that will probably last her another 6-7 more years.

If she has ever been unwell she is taken straight to the vet, and treated immediately so we are responsible pet owners!!!

Each owner has to make there own decision but i personally feel over-vaccination can cause problems.
Thanks for this divadee. I am very interested in the research you mention. Any chance you could post some links soon?

I've long suspected I'm being fleeced with this 'requirement' for annual vaccinations business; its well known that veterinary practices have among the highest profit margins of any business.

Anything to do with the health of your child or your pet and people are happy to fork out the money on the say so of a (vested interest) expert without considering the independent scientific evidence. ....vaccinate every year and you can feel you are a responsible owner is the implicit message.

Meanwhile, my cat was vacinated last April, and I'll now wait until I qualify for a discount www.vaccinationmonth.co.uk thanks to posters for this link. CB2
# 40
celticchick
Old 03-05-2009, 3:57 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Smile

looks like this is being repeated for June 2009 though not live yet - but looks as if link will take you to right page.
Closed Thread