Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
  • Conor
    • 21st Feb 08, 1:28 PM
    • 21st Feb 08, 1:28 PM
    No, don't let it run until May no matter what the temptation.

What you need to do is to tax it at your local DVLA office, not the post office. Fill in the V5 notifying change of keeper and taxation class to PLG and give them that at the same time you're taxing the car. Tell them what you're doing, i.e changing from disabled to PLG and taxing it. They'll do the lot at once in the right order.
    • cyclonebri1
    • By cyclonebri1 21st Feb 08, 2:31 PM
    • 11,727 Posts
    • 4,792 Thanks
    cyclonebri1
    • 21st Feb 08, 2:31 PM
    • 21st Feb 08, 2:31 PM
    No, don't let it run until May no matter what the temptation.

What you need to do is to tax it at your local DVLA office, not the post office. Fill in the V5 notifying change of keeper and taxation class to PLG and give them that at the same time you're taxing the car. Tell them what you're doing, i.e changing from disabled to PLG and taxing it. They'll do the lot at once in the right order.
    Originally posted by Conor
    Agree, its effectively not taxed at present
  • Inactive
    • 21st Feb 08, 4:02 PM
    • 21st Feb 08, 4:02 PM
    Agree, its effectively not taxed at present
    Originally posted by cyclonebri1

Agreed, you may end up with a prosecution if you do not do the change quickly.
    • hartcjhart
    • By hartcjhart 21st Feb 08, 7:11 PM
    • 8,547 Posts
    • 10,724 Thanks
    hartcjhart
    • 21st Feb 08, 7:11 PM
    • 21st Feb 08, 7:11 PM
    as said you cannot legally use the disabled tax,go to the local DVLA office to you look on this site

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Dl1/Directories/UsefulContactsByCategory/MotoringContacts/DG_10012974
    • flutterbyuk25
    • By flutterbyuk25 22nd Feb 08, 2:05 PM
    • 6,578 Posts
    • 34,457 Thanks
    flutterbyuk25
    • 22nd Feb 08, 2:05 PM
    • 22nd Feb 08, 2:05 PM
    Firstly please accept my condolences on your father's death.

Secondly do as above in relation to changing tax class. If the vehicle was in your late father's name and you are changing it into your name then you also need to submit a letter stating that the registered keeper is deceased and that you are taking over the vehicle.

Also, you need to return the DLA 404 Disabled Tax Exemption certificate that was used to claim free road tax to the DLA in Blackpool, address is on the form.

HTH

x
    100 years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like, but the world may be a little better because I was important in the life of a child.

279 251
    • custardy
    • By custardy 22nd Feb 08, 3:37 PM
    • 30,667 Posts
    • 25,140 Thanks
    custardy
    • 22nd Feb 08, 3:37 PM
    • 22nd Feb 08, 3:37 PM
    sorry for your loss.
    it is a pain you cant retax at a post office.i bought a car that was on disabled tax and stood in a very long PO queue to find out i couldnt tax it
    • cyclonebri1
    • By cyclonebri1 22nd Feb 08, 3:57 PM
    • 11,727 Posts
    • 4,792 Thanks
    cyclonebri1
    • 22nd Feb 08, 3:57 PM
    • 22nd Feb 08, 3:57 PM
    Sorry, I meant to say sorry too, but was tying to address your initial Q,
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 22nd Feb 08, 9:57 PM
    • 5,164 Posts
    • 3,768 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 22nd Feb 08, 9:57 PM
    • 22nd Feb 08, 9:57 PM
    Sorry to hear of your loss.

As a point of interest you can change the taxation class from PLG to disabled at a local post office however they can't do it the other way around.You need to visit a regional DVLA office for this.
    Imagination is a mental faculty that serves as a coping mechanism for those who can't or won't accept reality - unicorns and dragons and wives who don't nag, are all figments of the "imagination".
    • lil_me
    • By lil_me 22nd Feb 08, 11:30 PM
    • 13,031 Posts
    • 114,296 Thanks
    lil_me
    Sorry to hear of your loss.

Unfortunately you do need to visit the DVLA to have this changed. The tax is no longer valid as soon as your father passed away and it was not being used for him unfortunately.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

77Posts Today

3,680Users online

Martin's Twitter