Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Who & Where are You? > Student Money Saving > university grant through parents occupation? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
university grant through parents occupation?
Closed Thread
Views: 11,337
# 1
fluffy-feet
Old 16-02-2008, 3:06 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default university grant through parents occupation?

Someone mentioned to me recently that there are uni grants available depending on parent's occupation. Does anyone know where I can get this info?
# 2
Nicifer_noonoo
Old 16-02-2008, 3:18 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

The Student Loan company. Different grants are available depending on your circumstances and your status as dependent/independent.

# 3
paperclip4201
Old 16-02-2008, 3:30 PM
MoneySaving Convert

if you come from a low income background then you get a grant that varies depending on what uni you go to

if you go to the 'finance' section of the website of the university your interested there should be information there

EDIT:
see:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...ents/index.htm

http://www.studentfinancedirect.co.u..._schema=PORTAL - this calculator will tell you how much funding you get

Last edited by paperclip4201; 16-02-2008 at 3:48 PM.
# 4
Nicifer_noonoo
Old 16-02-2008, 4:13 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

It does all depend on your status though. I'm 22 years old, full time student, pregnant with my first child, live alone with a mortgage but because I can't produce 3 years payslips I am classed as dependent, and therefore receive no grant because my parents earn just above the threshold. They're trying to tell me that my parent's should be paying my living costs and for my degree!!

If you pop down to the children's services at your local council, they'll be able to talk you through what you're entitled to and what the thresholds are, the criteria for dependent/independent status and even help you fill out the form Hope this helps.

# 5
tinkerbel
Old 16-02-2008, 4:31 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

At my uni there is a scolarship grant thing for the children of grocers, chemists of commercial travellers... maybe ask the uni itsself as well as I found out about that via an email from the university!
# 6
DrFluffy
Old 16-02-2008, 8:39 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

You need to have a look on FunderFinder (computer based search programme) or in the EGAS catalogue (usually found in any council library)...

There are a lot of charitable bursaries out there dependent on parental occupation (and sometime dependent on course too)...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DrFluffy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
mrhenry1
Old 16-02-2008, 9:08 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Cheers for the links people. I love having divorced parents, maximum grant thank you
# 8
feesh
Old 19-02-2008, 3:09 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

There are some weird grants out there - try http://www.hotcourses.com/pls/mon/hc...01&y=&a=220707
Some of them have really specific criteria, it's quite bizarre. It takes a long time to work through them all, but there are some real gems hidden in there.
# 9
robi1966
Old 30-01-2010, 9:52 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

hi, I'm divorced (but remarried) and my daughter is now looking into university grants. I already have debt management and pay CSA as required but am worried I'll be forced to fork out for her university. this isn't an option as I am not even coping with the current bills particularly as my employee isn't (for the 2nd consecutive year) increasing my salary. thanks.
# 10
MrsManda
Old 30-01-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robi1966 View Post
hi, I'm divorced (but remarried) and my daughter is now looking into university grants. I already have debt management and pay CSA as required but am worried I'll be forced to fork out for her university. this isn't an option as I am not even coping with the current bills particularly as my employee isn't (for the 2nd consecutive year) increasing my salary. thanks.
Does your daughter live with you or her other parent? She will be assessed for funding on the basis of the household income where she lives. A lot of students don't get anything from their parents even when they lose out on grants because of their household income. There is no way anyone can force you to pay for her university.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrsManda For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
The One Who
Old 31-01-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFluffy View Post
You need to have a look on FunderFinder (computer based search programme) or in the EGAS catalogue (usually found in any council library)...

There are a lot of charitable bursaries out there dependent on parental occupation (and sometime dependent on course too)...
This. It really depends on the occupation (I think there are some for firefighters or police force) but it tends to be quite specific. There are also some for different areas and the like. Might be worth having a look at your prospective university's scholarship section.
The Following User Says Thank You to The One Who For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Oldernotwiser
Old 31-01-2010, 1:01 PM
PPR
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by robi1966 View Post
You may well find that the CSA payments cease when she starts university but, if they don't, many people start to make these payments to the child rather than the ex partner and so help support them at university this way.
# 13
exil
Old 31-01-2010, 2:40 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Students do get a maintenance loan if they don't qualify for a grant.
# 14
ultimatedingbat
Old 02-02-2010, 11:05 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Try buying the Student Funding Guide its around about 4. Through that I found I was entitled to a grant from where my Dad works, and anotehr grant from my local council
Closed Thread