Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    diddlydi
    Which iron is best -ceramic or stainless steel
    • 16th Feb 08, 2:16 PM
    Which iron is best -ceramic or stainless steel 16th Feb 08 at 2:16 PM
    I want to buy a good iron for my elderly Mother,it needs to be light in weight but also a good quality to cut down the ironing time.

Has anyone any advice in what I should look for,as there are blooming hundreds available.

I was wondering which is best between a cermanic & stainless plate & what sort of wattage & steam output I should look for.

The big steam generator irons would be no good unfortunately as they would be too heavy.

Any iron experts out there?
    thank you
Page 1
    • jackieb
    • By jackieb 16th Feb 08, 2:18 PM
    • 26,922 Posts
    • 78,557 Thanks
    jackieb
    • 16th Feb 08, 2:18 PM
    • 16th Feb 08, 2:18 PM
    I have a Tefal steam generator. It's a great iron, but it has a ceramic plate, and it gets quite black, and it's hard to get clean. I would have preferred if it had a stainless steel plate.

Are the steam generator irons heavier than the normal ones? The water is held in a tank, not in the iron itself.
  • diddlydi
    • 16th Feb 08, 2:30 PM
    • 16th Feb 08, 2:30 PM
    I have a Tefal steam generator. It's a great iron, but it has a ceramic plate, and it gets quite black, and it's hard to get clean. I would have preferred if it had a stainless steel plate.

Are the steam generator irons heavier than the normal ones? The water is held in a tank, not in the iron itself.
    Originally posted by jackieb
    Thanks jackieb
    The problem of the steam generator ones for my Mum,would be the weight of lifting it unto the iron board,storing etc,as she has a bad arm.

Thanks for the info re the stainless steel plate
  • MrsE
    • 16th Feb 08, 2:40 PM
    • 16th Feb 08, 2:40 PM

Originally posted by jackieb
    Me too after a couple of Tefals I switched to a Phillips one.

I was going to say that too, to set up is heavier, but once in place the actual iron is lighter.
    • maypole
    • By maypole 16th Feb 08, 4:56 PM
    • 1,801 Posts
    • 1,871 Thanks
    maypole
    • 16th Feb 08, 4:56 PM
    • 16th Feb 08, 4:56 PM
    I read somewhere a while ago that ceramic was the better surface. I don't have one so I couldn't say.
    • alanobrien
    • By alanobrien 16th Feb 08, 6:47 PM
    • 3,176 Posts
    • 1,788 Thanks
    alanobrien
    • 16th Feb 08, 6:47 PM
    • 16th Feb 08, 6:47 PM
    Ceramic is lighter for sure and correctly finished the surface will be more resistant to picking up muck. It also has lower friction meaning it should move across the surface easier. This is why ceramic is often used in pump seal faces.
    • adandem
    • By adandem 16th Feb 08, 8:42 PM
    • 3,282 Posts
    • 4,515 Thanks
    adandem
    • 16th Feb 08, 8:42 PM
    • 16th Feb 08, 8:42 PM
    I had a few tefals, none of which lasted that long. My latest Philips Azur is about 3/4 years old and is fab.No discolouring, sticking or leaking.
  • diddlydi
    • 16th Feb 08, 8:55 PM
    • 16th Feb 08, 8:55 PM
    I had a few tefals, none of which lasted that long. My latest Philips Azur is about 3/4 years old and is fab.No discolouring, sticking or leaking.
    Originally posted by adandem
    Is the philips a stainless steel plate? & is it an easy ironer?
    thanks
  • MrsE
    • 16th Feb 08, 8:57 PM
    • 16th Feb 08, 8:57 PM
    Is the philips a stainless steel plate? & is it an easy ironer?
    thanks
    Originally posted by diddlydi
    Phillips do both, but most of them stainless steel.
    I made sure to get a stainless steel one after owning Tefals for years.
  • diddlydi
    Phillips do both, but most of them stainless steel.
    I made sure to get a stainless steel one after owning Tefals for years.
    Originally posted by MrsE
    Thanks for that MrsE,I think I will definately go for stainless steel plate,is your iron quite lightweight?
  • MrsE
    Thanks for that MrsE,I think I will definately go for stainless steel plate,is your iron quite lightweight?
    Originally posted by diddlydi
    No mines a big steam generator (I love them).

But I picked it for the soleplate as till them I'd only ever had Tefal, but once they start sticking they get harder & harder to clean. They seem to be like saucepans, the non-stick seems to wear away with use.

I'm loving the Philips stainless steel soleplate. Make sure you check though as they do one they call cezera (sp?) & its like the Tefal.

I think Argos say the weight in their ads.
    • withabix
    • By withabix 16th Feb 08, 9:19 PM
    • 8,960 Posts
    • 7,908 Thanks
    withabix
    Go for Philips ones with the Careeza (ceramic) soleplate.

Very good irons. Much easier than stainless and the Careeza coatings don't seem to wear out.

Previous ones have only stopped working through getting smashed from dropping on the floor!! :rolleyes:

Tefal irons are coated with Teflon (PTFE), which is actually quite a soft material and very prone to scratching, whereas the Philips Careeza coating is a very hard wearing ceramic product.

Tefal teflon (PTFE) coatings ARE rubbish by the way. With pans, once you've used Meyer/Anolon pans you'll wonder why you EVER bought Tefal ones.
    Last edited by withabix; 17-02-2008 at 8:17 AM.
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • MrsE
    Tefal teflon (PTFE) coatings ARE rubbish by the way. With pans, once you've used Meyer/Anolon pans you'll wonder why you EVER bought Tefal ones.
    Originally posted by withabix
    I was thinking of trying Myer pans, do they do a nice large wok?
    • withabix
    • By withabix 16th Feb 08, 9:32 PM
    • 8,960 Posts
    • 7,908 Thanks
    withabix
    I was thinking of trying Myer pans, do they do a nice large wok?
    Originally posted by MrsE
    Probably do one in most of their ranges.
  • diddlydi

Very good irons. Much easeier than stainless and the Careeza coatings don't seem to wear out.

Previous ones have only stopped working through getting smashed from dropping on the floor!! :rolleyes:

Tefal irons are coated with Teflon (PTFE), which is actually quite a soft material and very prone to scratching, whereas the Philips Careeza coating is a very hard wearing ceramic product.

Thank you for that info withabix - do you also happen to know which phillips I should go for,for best steam & power,or should I just for the highest in both,for easy ironing?
    • saving-grace
    • By saving-grace 17th Feb 08, 8:25 AM
    • 292 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    saving-grace

Very good irons. Much easier than stainless and the Careeza coatings don't seem to wear out.

I'd agree with all that. I had a tefal iron which got scratched easily and the surface became quite rough.
    Now onto my second Philips Careeza (dropped first one) with ceramic soleplate and its great. Feels nice to iron with and the surface has not a mark on it, v hardwearing.
    There are a few to choose from, could you get to a shop to see how they feel in the hand. Mine is a philips Azur 4340 and its quite heavy.
  • diddlydi
    I'd agree with all that. I had a tefal iron which got scratched easily and the surface became quite rough.
    Now onto my second Philips Careeza (dropped first one) with ceramic soleplate and its great. Feels nice to iron with and the surface has not a mark on it, v hardwearing.
    There are a few to choose from, could you get to a shop to see how they feel in the hand. Mine is a philips Azur 4340 and its quite heavy.
    Originally posted by saving-grace
    Thanks for that -off to lakeside now to lift irons!!
    • withabix
    • By withabix 17th Feb 08, 9:53 AM
    • 8,960 Posts
    • 7,908 Thanks
    withabix
    Would also recommend a mesh ironing board rather than a solid-top one. The newer steam irons which produce a large amount of steam tend to do a 'hovercraft' impression on solid boards!!
    • burnsguitarman
    • By burnsguitarman 17th Feb 08, 3:01 PM
    • 679 Posts
    • 394 Thanks
    burnsguitarman
    I back up what has been said about the philips careeza soleplate, definately the best irons I have used!
  • Homecare Pro
    Which iron is best - ceramic or stainless steel
    If your Mum has trouble carrying the steam iron to the ironing board, make sure she carries it there empty and then fills it with water from a large measuring cup. She can then plug it in and it will heat up fast.

I don't like ceramic soleplates myself, as the iron is not heavy enough to make crisp creases in wool or heavy canvas or denim pants. You have to press down hard on a ceramic soleplate iron to make good creases.

Hope you find this advice helpful.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,027Posts Today

6,907Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Urgent. Are you a British Gas customer? Hidden trick cuts bills by typically £300ish/year... https://t.co/GG0QhLjPYw RT

• RT @jbchips: @MartinSLewis HURRAH.... MY SWITCH IS NOW IN PROGRESS. ????. from BG to Sainsubrys for a saving of over £400 a year. Next is the?

• Just out of interest, has your employer sent out a statement on the Brexit impact on your firm? Poll

• Follow Martin