Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    kitkat240
    Advice - compensation for no heating/hot water
    • 14th Feb 08, 9:23 AM
    Advice - compensation for no heating/hot water 14th Feb 08 at 9:23 AM
    Just wondering how much compensation (i.e. return of rent money) I should expect when my rented house was without heating and hot water for 3 weeks during January. It was practically unliveable - well certainly very unpleasant and not what you want from your home which you pay good money for. All of us who had the option to, actually moved home for most of the time as it was horrible.

The rent is 200 a month each and the landlady so far has offered us 50 each and then 75. I'm thinking 100 would be much more fair due to the fact that we found it too difficult to live there and incurred loads of extra expense through things like travel costs from our parents houses to work etc.

If it had been a family renting the house with a young child they certainly would not have been able to take 3 weeks to sort it out.

Do we have good grounds for negotiation on this? How much is acceptable to request?

Thanks!
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,922Posts Today

5,726Users online

Martin's Twitter