Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Benefits & Tax Credits > how do i cancel working tax credit ? *newbie* (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
how do i cancel working tax credit ? *newbie*
Closed Thread
Views: 14,117
# 1
overdrawnjim
Old 12-02-2008, 12:08 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default how do i cancel working tax credit ? *newbie*

Hi everyone i hope someone can help ? I have been claiming working tax credits for the last 7 months but as from the end of january 2008 i finished my employment and called to cancel my working tax credit but they are still paying me every week ? i am at the minute having to sign on and claim jobseekers allowance of which i have not yet received anything and ive called now 3 times to cancel my working tax credit payments and they say thanks and we have now sorted out your claim and you wont be payed again but they ARE still paying me ? Will this effect my claim for income support and jobseekers allowance and how can i get thme to stop paying me ?

Thanks to anyone that can help !
# 2
NAF
Old 12-02-2008, 12:21 AM
MoneySaving Convert

If you have tried three times and they still havent stopped then that is terrible service. I dunno how helpful your local office is but they should have a priority line through to Tax Credits which is available only to Benefit offices. Try getting them to call on that priority line and see if that gets the job done.

I have done this for people recently and it is instantaneous.

Unfortunately, while the HMRC continue to pay WTC it will be taken in as income against your JSA, which may knock you out until it is stopped. If it is stopped from the original date you made contact and HMRC raise an overpayment inform JSA of this and they should re-assess your claim.

You may also have qualified for a WTC Run-on which means that you get paid for another four weeks after you finish work.
# 3
subsoniccoyote
Old 12-02-2008, 9:55 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Your change of circumstances could be stuck in a processing que.

Do you receive child tax credit at all? Maybe that's why you are getting payments.

Keep a note of the dates you have called and information given, if you have an overpayment you can dispute against it as you have notified TCO on a number of occasions.

A WTC run on is paid as a GIRO if you are entitled to it.
# 4
Karensteps
Old 12-02-2008, 10:14 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I thought that WTC and CTC was based on last tax years income? So maybe thats why you are still being paid?
Win 2008 in 2008 no #49 601.91/2008
Latest win - Cashmere scarf

Murphys no more pies club member
# 5
subsoniccoyote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:57 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Yes it would be, but if you only claim WTC and you stop working, you need to stop claiming WTC in order to get JSA or IS.
# 6
overdrawnjim
Old 12-02-2008, 11:48 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

hi and thanks everyone for your help im currently on the phone as i type to a lady at the working tax credits helpline, i was self employed have no kids and was claiming the low income working tax credit award which is about 47 weekly, she has told me that my calls are logged and that my change of circumstances have been noted but they still have me on a payment plan and shes trying to sort this out for me now but like i say i have been through this now several times and whilst i have been trying to claim jobseekers allowance from the end of january i am now worried that my claim will be affected and i will end up owing inland revenue money i cant afford and will not get any payments for the period i have been trying to claim income support and jobseekers, oh shes of the phone and has told me that shut down of my payments is in process and that i need to any overpayments so i can pay them back as im not entitled to them ! So i asked about my claim at the DSS and she said when they call someone from working tax credits will tell them im NOT working and my claim should be ok.....

Pheeeeeew seems really rubbish to me i think this is going to cause me a few headaches and cant see it being as easy as they say it is.

Again thanks for your advice and i will keep in touch with what happens with my claim and overpayments.
Closed Thread