IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
What age do you stop paying?
Closed Thread
Views: 56,019
# 1
scotlass99
Old 07-02-2008, 4:23 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default What age do you stop paying?

Hi

This seems to be a grey area which no-one is really sure about?

Can someone in the know tell me when CSA payments stop?

ie. If they leave school and start work? If they leave school and go to College? If they leave school and go to Uni?

I am looking for ages applicable in Scotland

Thanks

Heather
# 2
enemes
Old 07-02-2008, 4:34 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

My understanding is that a NRP is liable for the maintenance of their child while they are still in full-time education, however this does not include going to university. Obviously, liability ceases if the child leaves school/some college courses for employment/JSA.

There is a clause in Section 7 of the CSA Act which is applicable to Scotland only, which enables a child to claim maintenance of both or either parents if they are in Uni.

Hope this helps. BTW, not too sure how it works if the NRP is living outside Scotland though.
The Following User Says Thank You to enemes For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
iluvfreebies
Old 09-02-2008, 2:07 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

csa runs along the same eligiblity criteria as child benefit so maintenance should be paid until the child is 19 or when they leave full time non advanced education. Up to A level grade education or equivilant.
Comp Wins 2011 : Cant wait to start listing everything
The Following User Says Thank You to iluvfreebies For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Scousebird
Old 28-02-2008, 7:08 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Yeah-maintenance has to be paid the same grounds as child benefit is-until the qualifying child leaves full time education or until the child reaches his/her 19th birthday, even if they are in full time ed (for example going to uni)-any arrears due to the Parent With Care, that has accumulated (either when the case was being calculated or if the Non-Resident Parent fell into arrears by missing payments, then payments will continue to be paid past this date as they are due to the parent who has the child, however the regular maintenance will cease.

In relation to the comment about Scottish Law and the CSA-they have different legislation (eg, a child over the age of 12 can claim against their own NRP, the parent who looks after the child doens't have to/is not required to)-so there are certain things that are different so be careful not to get confused by other sites when looking for information.
# 5
kittiej
Old 01-03-2008, 9:02 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Child benefit stops once a child goes to uni, it doesn't continue until they are 19.
Sealed pot challenge member number 18
Karma - the consequences of ones acts.
"It's OK to falter otherwise how will you know what success feels like?"
1 debt v 100 days 2000
The Following User Says Thank You to kittiej For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
kelloggs36
Old 01-03-2008, 9:09 AM

Kittiej is right - child benefit (and therfore cSA) stops on the first Monday in September of the term that the child starts uni.
# 7
scotlass99
Old 02-03-2008, 11:27 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelloggs36 View Post
Kittiej is right - child benefit (and therfore cSA) stops on the first Monday in September of the term that the child starts uni.
Is that applicable in Scotland too?? Can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone at CSA...
# 8
Prudent
Old 13-03-2008, 9:18 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Yes, its applicable in Scotland too. If a child wants support from the non resident parent to continue at uni they have to apply through the courts in their own right.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prudent For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
steps40
Old 13-03-2008, 11:31 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default hmmm

Ive heard a whisper that the law in the UK has changed and means you have to pay until aged 20 (this cant be right can it )??????????????????
# 10
kelloggs36
Old 14-03-2008, 12:30 AM

Not for CSA - that would be tax credits if child is not at university or in work.
# 11
Mr Green Genes
Old 17-03-2008, 6:44 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by steps40 View Post
Ive heard a whisper that the law in the UK has changed and means you have to pay until aged 20 (this cant be right can it )??????????????????
It's in the Child Maintenance and Other Payments Bill (the one that will introduce C-MESS) that's going through Parliament. So it's not law (yet).
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is the best.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Green Genes For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
fgaughan
Old 27-09-2008, 2:33 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Send a message via AIM to fgaughan Send a message via MSN to fgaughan Send a message via Yahoo to fgaughan Send a message via Skype™ to fgaughan

What about if the child has a disability and unable to go to college or uni?:confused:
Is it different rules apply to children with disabilities ?
While I breathe.... I hope
# 13
andy5700
Old 04-03-2010, 2:36 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default What if my daughter is claiming benefits

Hi does anyone know if my daughter is claiming benefits in her own right does this mean child support is over?

I dont mean i want to stop supporting her just want to stop the money going straight to her mum who doesn't spend it on her

She is 18 and in part time education not sure if its more than 12 hours though and she has a part time job at the weekend and she is now pregnant (joy of joys)

Thanks in advance
# 14
chriszzz
Old 04-03-2010, 3:02 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy5700 View Post
Hi does anyone know if my daughter is claiming benefits in her own right does this mean child support is over?

I dont mean i want to stop supporting her just want to stop the money going straight to her mum who doesn't spend it on her

She is 18 and in part time education not sure if its more than 12 hours though and she has a part time job at the weekend and she is now pregnant (joy of joys)

Thanks in advance
Sorry cant give you advice on the maintenance but there are posters on here who are in the know.
Reading your post brought to mind Child Maintenance for a daughter who s pregnant and recieving CM, doesnt seem to be right that a child is classed as a child when they are in the process of becoming a parent themselves.
Surely that just states that children of 18 are adults and should fend for themselves.
The Following User Says Thank You to chriszzz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Blonde Bint
Old 04-03-2010, 5:21 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Send a message via AIM to Blonde Bint

Dont bet on it Chrizzzz, lol, he may just find that he is eligible to make child maintenance payments for his childs child .

Though it does open up a whole new can of worms doesnt it. With payments of CM going up to age 20. can just see a new generation of parents in recipt of CM for themselves as well as their child
# 16
chriszzz
Old 04-03-2010, 6:01 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde Bint View Post
Dont bet on it Chrizzzz, lol, he may just find that he is eligible to make child maintenance payments for his childs child .

Though it does open up a whole new can of worms doesnt it. With payments of CM going up to age 20. can just see a new generation of parents in recipt of CM for themselves as well as their child
Haha

I just carnt get my head around child mainenance being paid to a child (so to speak) who is going to be a mother, so she could be recieving cm whilst she is a mother herself just sounds a bit ?????? . Its acceptable having a child at 18 but the government are still classing them as children in respect to maintenance, looks a bit silly now tho
# 17
DUTR
Old 04-03-2010, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszzz View Post
Haha

I just carnt get my head around child mainenance being paid to a child (so to speak) who is going to be a mother, so she could be recieving cm whilst she is a mother herself just sounds a bit ?????? . Its acceptable having a child at 18 but the government are still classing them as children in respect to maintenance, looks a bit silly now tho
Or a father, wonder if the CS authorities would take their CS reciepts into the equation for the liability
The Following User Says Thank You to DUTR For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
Blonde Bint
Old 04-03-2010, 9:40 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Send a message via AIM to Blonde Bint

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTR View Post
Or a father, wonder if the CS authorities would take their CS reciepts into the equation for the liability
pmsl

thats one for ole Kelloggs then. cos I cant get my head round that.

So 18 yr old child living with mum becomes a mum to be honest thinking about it, no it wouldnt affect what she was entitled to for her little un because the money the granny receives is due to granny not mummy. So would have no bearing on what mum would recieve for the grand-daughter. does that make sense. Kelloggs what do you think? I am interested now. Because I think this is going to become a bigger issue as time goes on.
# 19
chriszzz
Old 04-03-2010, 10:02 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

What if the 18 yr old daughter did not live at home and moved in with her boyfriend, can she claim benefits?? If not does then the nrp pay direct to the daughter??
BB........It does open can of worms!!!!
# 20
kelloggs36
Old 04-03-2010, 10:30 PM

If a 'child' is claiming benefits under their own rights then they cease to be a child under Child Support law, but that doesn't mean that arrears due whilst they were a child would not be collected.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kelloggs36 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread