Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Benefits & Tax Credits > holiday s whilst on jobseekers allowance? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
holiday s whilst on jobseekers allowance?
Views: 226,875
# 1
voddyman
Old 13-07-2005, 4:40 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default holiday s whilst on jobseekers allowance?

my son is on jobseekers allowance and we would like to take him on holiday with us for a week...however we fly out on the day he is due to sign on...because he cant sign on does he lose his benefit for that week because he is unavailable for work,please help :confused:
voddyman
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
Mango
Old 13-07-2005, 5:13 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Yes - this happened to me last year - I was due to go on holiday and so the jobcentre cancelled my allowance. I think it even applies if you are out of your local area/the area you are looking for work in, but still in the UK? Could he ask that his sign-on date be changed but use an excuse (naughty I know)? This is what I did but then made the mistake of saying I was out the country that day!
# 3
Kimberley
Old 13-07-2005, 5:19 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

If he says that Mango the Job Centre may think it's because he has got a job and needs to change his day..This is why Job Centres always frequently change signing on days every now and again.

Voddyman your son could say he has an interview set up for that day..
Australia 2016
# 4
Mango
Old 13-07-2005, 5:30 PM
MoneySaving Convert

That's a good point - hadn't thought of that!
# 5
Realist
Old 13-07-2005, 5:56 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

You are allowed to go on holidays while receiving JSA. Inform the office and they will make arrangments for him to sign early.
The Following User Says Thank You to Realist For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Mango
Old 13-07-2005, 6:06 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Really Realist? I was told by the jobcentre that I could not claim JSA while on holiday as during that time I could not be actively seeking work. :confused:
# 7
Kimberley
Old 13-07-2005, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango
Really Realist? I was told by the jobcentre that I could not claim JSA while on holiday as during that time I could not be actively seeking work. :confused:
Your right Mango :rolleyes: When your claiming you have to be available for work at all times
Australia 2016
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kimberley For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
voddyman
Old 13-07-2005, 7:43 PM
MoneySaving Convert

thanks to all that have replied...one further point to my question...will he just lose the week that he;s away or will he lose the whole 2weeks...i.e. till the next signing on date...thanks
voddyman
# 9
millie
Old 13-07-2005, 8:06 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I was told in May that I could go on holiday and still get paid as long as I was still actively seeking work, I made a sarcastic comment that I would look in the Bournemouth newspapers, and got the impression that was OK. Iwas told it was OK as long as I was in this country but could not go on holiday abroad or I would not be paid because I would be unavailable to start work straight away. I would just tell them you are going away somewhere in England, they said I would have to leave a contact Number in case a suitable job became available, as if they are looking at every job that comes in to match up to a certain person. I told them that was fine I would leave them my mobile number, which seemed to be accepable. Fortunately I found a job myself before my holiday. If they did ring I would have not answered it, because I would recognise the number, then say I must have missed the call, but it is highly unlikely to happen anyway.
# 10
Kimberley
Old 13-07-2005, 8:35 PM

To be honest wouldn't they wonder how you can afford an holiday whilst claiming to be out of work :confused:
Australia 2016
# 11
tiger
Old 13-07-2005, 8:45 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

a friend of mine works injobcentre and he informs me that you are allowed to go on holiday (he reckons about 2 weeks in a year) you need to tell the jobcentre plus if you are going abroad you may be asked how you gonna finance your trip. so as long as you sponsoring him that you should be fine. speak to the jobcentre. if they dont accept, talk to the manager (after all every one is entitled to holiday) goodluck and let us know the outcome.have nice trip
are you thinking what iam thinking
# 12
jenpoptab
Old 13-07-2005, 8:58 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

If you are going abroad you are required to sign off, even if it is for a day or more. You then need to make a new claim when you return, remember to book new claims appointment before you go away so ther is no delay for appointment.

If you are staying in UK you can complete a holiday form. This allows you up to two weeks away and then you need to sign on the day after you get back ( as agreed with jobcentre ), If your son goes into jobcentre they will get him to complete ES674 form. N.B. He will need to complete a full address of where he is staying in this country and address of someone he will be in touch with whilst on hols.

This information should be correct unless any of it has changed in last 13 weeks, as I am currently on maternity leave from working at a Jobcentre.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jenpoptab For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
viktory
Old 14-07-2005, 9:24 AM
PPR
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I took a much needed (free) break to Spain whilst claiming JSA, I simply arranged the flights around my signing on days. If this is not possible, phone them on the morning that your son is due to sign and say that he is ill in bed with flu (or some such). I do think it is unfair that he should have to go through the rigmarole of signing off and on again (especially as this will probably delay any payments) if he is merely taking a family holiday for a week.
# 14
BenefitMaster
Old 14-07-2005, 11:34 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Send a message via ICQ to BenefitMaster Send a message via AIM to BenefitMaster Send a message via MSN to BenefitMaster Send a message via Yahoo to BenefitMaster Send a message via Skype™ to BenefitMaster

ok

The JSA rules say you are allowed 2 weeks holiday a year as a jobseeker. This is enshrined in the Social Security Regulations.

You ARE allowed to go abroad for your holiday without loss of benefit, provided you stay within the European Economic Area.

You ARE allowed to be deemed actively seekign work for this period, and therefore do not need to sign on.

you MUST ensure you can make yourself available for work, if work is offered, within 48 hours of the offer.

HTH, HAND
My use of a Parody of the logo of ParkingEye Ltd is explicitely permitted under section 30A of the Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1984.

Declaration of Interest - something will change soon.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BenefitMaster For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
voddyman
Old 15-07-2005, 6:36 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default final words from dss

my son has been back at the dss today and has been told that he will definetly have to sign off and then do a rapid resign back on when he returns from holiday i have phoned them up myself and been told the very same...when i said that i thought you were allowed to go abroad and still be able to stayed signed on...i was told thats not the case anymore as the rules have changed...you are only allowed to holiday in the uk....just thought i'd let you all know incase anyone else was in a similar situation....but a big thankyou to all who replied to my post
voddyman
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to voddyman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
camper
Old 16-07-2005, 11:52 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Sorry Benefitmaster but you are wrong.

JSA rules state that all claims MUST be closed if the claimant goes abroad UNLESS it is for an interview, of which proof is given beforehand, and three days max allowed. Two weeks are allowed in the UK, only if an address and telephone number is given. And I can confirm that in my jobcentre all phone numbers given are rang during the first week, this may not be the case in all jobcentres though.
You can refuse the have the claim closed if going abroad, in that case the papers are sent to the Jobcentre Decision makers to decide if benefit should or could be paid. Its never happened in my Jobcentre, so have no idea on the result.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to camper For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
jenpoptab
Old 17-07-2005, 10:09 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Yes benefit master, you can go for interview abroad but not holiday.

I've worked at Jobcentre for 8 years and this has always been the case, and I've worked in more than 1 JCP.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jenpoptab For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
reelcrazy
Old 17-07-2005, 10:06 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I used to say I was going camping in Wales for a few days and was phoning home daily to see if any jobs were in the local papers / interview letters had arrived etc. I never had any trouble.
# 19
Peter-Pan
Old 17-07-2005, 10:19 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Well if you cant go on holiday,why dont you go on the sick,and you can do what you want if you have a Doctors line or do you have to tell the DWP that to !!!
A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
El sabio muda el consejo, el necio no.
# 20
nearlyrich
Old 17-07-2005, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realist
You are allowed to go on holidays while receiving JSA. Inform the office and they will make arrangments for him to sign early.
You used to be able to go on holiday for a week in the UK but if you were going for longer or going abroad you had to sign off, that was in the mid 80's when I worked for the Dept of Employment, not sure if things have changed but it seems fair, if you are not available for work you don't get JSA.
NEW to the Forum? I'm the Board Guide on
Debt-Free Wannabe

I can move and change posts but I don't have time to read everything. If you spot a reportable post please use the button below.

Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange