Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Praise, Vent & Warnings > Parking in front of driveways (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Parking in front of driveways
Closed Thread
Views: 53,650
# 1
s1clark
Old 05-02-2008, 2:33 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Parking in front of driveways

We specifically bought a house with a driveway because we didn't want street parking. Ever since we have lived here, people have continually parked in front of the driveway. What annoys me the most is there is a parking laybay outside the houses, so why do people continue to park in front of an open driveway, which is use frequently throughout the day. Then when you find the person, the abuse you get is unbelivable.
The Following User Says Thank You to s1clark For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
tamarto
Old 05-02-2008, 2:52 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

is a parking laybay a dropped curb?

My neighbours seem to think parking infront of my house is far preferable to parking infront of their own :rolleyes:

If their car was ever stolen and i saw it happen i'd not feel compelled to let the police know as if they cared that much surely it'd be parked in front of their own house!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tamarto For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
pinkshoes
Old 05-02-2008, 3:19 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1clark View Post
We specifically bought a house with a driveway because we didn't want street parking. Ever since we have lived here, people have continually parked in front of the driveway. What annoys me the most is there is a parking laybay outside the houses, so why do people continue to park in front of an open driveway, which is use frequently throughout the day. Then when you find the person, the abuse you get is unbelivable.
If the people parking in it are friends of a specific neighbour, could you not park infront of that neighbours drive?

Have you put a sign up politely asking people not to obstruct your drive way?

Could you not park a car in the driveway?? Or could you somehow block in the person that's parked infront of your driveway.

Someone (a friend of a neighbour) keeps parking in our private (numbered) parking space, which is fine if it's just for a few minutes to drop something off and we're not in, but often it means my OH has to street park when he gets back from work (I have no idea why this other guy can't park his precious 4x4 jeep thingy on the street like everyone else - there ARE plenty of spaces). I've told my OH next time this guy is parked in our space, he's to park directly behind this guy's car, then when they ring our doorbell to ask us to move, we'll tell them we've cracked open a bottle of wine and are over the drink-drive limit, so he'll have to wait until the morning .
It's a shame when the right to freedom of speech is not honoured...
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to pinkshoes For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
daveboy
Old 05-02-2008, 3:26 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

The only way around this, I would have thought, would be to have a solid white line painted over the drop-kerb (assuming there is one). But, unless I am mistaken, this will cost money.

Not advocating criminal damage but if someone does park over your drive.....your keys, their car door......
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to daveboy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
whatatwit
Old 05-02-2008, 3:30 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Is the parking layby time restricted?
In our area, unless you pay the council to come and paint a white l------l in front of your driveway, anyone can park there, and the parking people can't do anything about it.
If they park for more than 1 hour in the residents bit, or don't have a pass, then they get ticketed, outside someones drive, they can stay there all day.
Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
# 6
hollydays
Old 05-02-2008, 3:38 PM

People are actually totally blocking you in your drive? Is there a school nearby or something? Have you tried putting a sign up if you have gates?
The Following User Says Thank You to hollydays For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Poppycat
Old 05-02-2008, 3:40 PM

Found this on the net although its for Scotland not sure if it applies here

http://www.dumfriesandgalloway.polic...ng/parking.htm

Someone has parked on the road outside my house and is blocking my driveway. I cannot get in or out. What can I do?

If the vehicle is causing an obstruction you should call us on xxxxxxxx and we will check whether the vehicle is stolen or not. If necessary we will send an officer.
Please note: In normal circumstances this is not an emergency and therefore it may take some time for the officer to attend. In the meantime, try to trace the owner of the vehicle by making local enquiries with your neighbours, etc.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Poppycat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
hollydays
Old 05-02-2008, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveboy View Post
The only way around this, I would have thought, would be to have a solid white line painted over the drop-kerb (assuming there is one). But, unless I am mistaken, this will cost money.

Not advocating criminal damage but if someone does park over your drive.....your keys, their car door......
Although i thanked your post-i was thanking the bit re the lines-not the bit re the keys.Mind you,I know of an office where they would "reward" people who parked in their parking spaces by gluing an A4 notice asking them not to do it,with very sticky glue,right over the drivers window..naughty..Or what if you put up a sign that say access requred for ambulance..well thats naughty too..but there is a grain of truth in it..

Last edited by hollydays; 05-02-2008 at 3:47 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hollydays For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
red devil
Old 05-02-2008, 3:43 PM

people dont look at signs and sometimes dont care either. We have massive signs on the gate and also a white line they dont care still park. often put cones out they get moved or stolen too.

hope someone does it to them sometime thats the only way some people will realise?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to red devil For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
pinkshoes
Old 05-02-2008, 3:48 PM

Actually, I think it's only an offense to prevent someone leaving their property, and not entering i.e. if your car was in the driveway and they blocked it in, THAT would be illegal, but if they block your driveway when there's no car in it, then that's OK.

Ohh, I just found a bbc article that says something about new parking laws starting 31st March 2008 (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7184510.stm) which states:

Quote:
Councils will also be able to penalise actions such as parking next to a dropped kerb or parking too far away from the kerb.
It's a shame when the right to freedom of speech is not honoured...
The Following User Says Thank You to pinkshoes For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
s1clark
Old 05-02-2008, 4:18 PM
MoneySaving Convert

There is no resctrictions on the parking lane,but for some reason our driveway just attracts drivers to sit in front of it. Just before Christmas one my neighbours had vistors, they pulled up reversed in front of my neighbours drive them pulled back in front of mine and got out of the car, there was no other cars on the road. When we asked them to move it, they said they didn't see the drive way? These people shouldn't be driving if they don't know the rules of the rude. Again this afternoon, I came back from shopping only to have a car park across the driveway and there attitude was there was no one in so it didn't matter, all they had to do was reverse 20 yards and could have easily parked the car without blocking the driveway, but this was too much of a problem for them. I think I will try and contact the council and see if we can have a white line painted over the drive.
# 12
Butlers1982
Old 05-02-2008, 4:23 PM

I just think its rude and lazy when people park infront of a house thats not theirs

Especially when they park over the driveway- Lazy and ignorant

Quote:
know the rules of the rude.
Thats my point exactly ! ! ! good typo error!
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Butlers1982 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
RadoJo
Old 05-02-2008, 4:26 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Sorry, I'm still not clear - have they blocked you in, or blocked you out?
Is teh kerb dropped in front of the access to your driveway?
# 14
s1clark
Old 05-02-2008, 4:43 PM
MoneySaving Convert

They blocked me from coming in and yes it is a drop kerb. Sometimes i get blocked in aswell.
# 15
RadoJo
Old 05-02-2008, 5:10 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I think you would need to contact the Highways department of your local council if there is a dispute which is not on council property ie you aren't talking about a council house. Check your local council website to see if they have a process for dealing with these matters.
# 16
sillyvixen
Old 05-02-2008, 6:00 PM

it is a problem where i live, parking is a problem, my car is often blocked in by strangers vehicals. once i was even told by the driver that it was ok to park his car there as the person he was visiting told him i hardly ever used my car (this is true) so it was alright to park there (this is not true) but i was sitting in my car with my reversing lights on at the time the only reason i had not pulled out into the street was this 4x4 was coming driving by, he then reversed in behind me blocking off my drive. i have tried leaving polite notes on window screens but it does not work its often the same cars - i have even considered the key thing (but this is criminal damage) i have not tried it. it would not be such a problem if people asked and let me know which house they were visiting so i could get it moved if i needed to go out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sillyvixen For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
clutterfrazzled
Old 05-02-2008, 6:17 PM
MoneySaving Convert

We tried explaining to one neighbour until we were blue in the face that they really shouldn’t block our drive but it didn’t seem to sink in. Unfortunately, though they were very nice and apologetic about it the amoral anal cavity kept doing it.

In the end the only thing that got through to him was whenever he did this we made the point of ‘needing’ to use the car. This was usually about the time we judged he had just about settled down after getting in. - For sheer satisfaction the best times though were when we knew he had gone to bed or early in the morning. (Need good excuses for these times though.)

It hasn’t been a problem for a long time.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to clutterfrazzled For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
MrsE
Old 05-02-2008, 6:27 PM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollydays View Post
Although i thanked your post-i was thanking the bit re the lines-not the bit re the keys.Mind you,I know of an office where they would "reward" people who parked in their parking spaces by gluing an A4 notice asking them not to do it,with very sticky glue,right over the drivers window..naughty..Or what if you put up a sign that say access requred for ambulance..well thats naughty too..but there is a grain of truth in it..
Like the sticky signs idea, serves them right. No lasting damage, just a pain in the neck, a bit like their parking

My brother in law used to work odd hours, typically he came home about three am. One night some neighbours had blocked his drive, he got them up he got the whole house/street up. He kept his hand on the horn till they came out to move it. Hes lived there over 20 years, it's never happened again. The rest of the street had the hump with them too, as the parking rules are well observed by everyone on their road.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MrsE For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
kittycatty
Old 05-02-2008, 7:56 PM

Wink

I had a similar problem when I was in my previous property.
My drive had a dropped kerb and a lay-by parking area. People always parked over the drive blooking me in and out or parked just a little over so you could barely get in/out. I gave up asking them to move so I badgered my local council and they agreed to paint the white lines free of charge.

Ask the council it's worth a try.
The Following User Says Thank You to kittycatty For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
steveo3002
Old 05-02-2008, 8:17 PM

find a few big blokes and drag the car sideways to clear the drive....3 big blokes can move a average car...or one and a trolley jack
The Following User Says Thank You to steveo3002 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread