Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Littlebean
    The Knitters Thread
    • 1st Oct 07, 5:55 AM
    The Knitters Thread 1st Oct 07 at 5:55 AM
    Following on from the recent thread about handknitting it is apparent that many of us OS'ers are also keen knitters. The idea of this thread is to give us a place to post comments/suggestions, to be able to chat about our current work in progress (WIP), share patterns/tips/tricks, and post pictures of our completed work (I'm nosy and love seeing piccies ).

I'll get the ball rolling: I've now finished knitting the sweater that sparked the original post. Now I've remembered just how much I disliked making up the finished garment -definately the worst part of knitting. I've managed to pick up and knit around the neck and I've done the collar, but now I have to work out how to set in the sleeves - hmmmmmm. Any suggestions/tips would be gratefully received. I've never knitted a sweater with shaped armholes before - having stuck to straight seams - but having splurged on the yarn I really want the finished product to look nice.
Page 464
    • Seakay
    • By Seakay 12th Feb 18, 12:42 PM
    • 4,157 Posts
    • 10,014 Thanks
    Seakay
    Hello SIRENS, welcome to the thread, hope you managed to get your ds' cowl finished in time.
    I haven't done much recently but I have been using up small bits of leftover yarn to make simple Innocent Smoothie hats ready for the next collection
    • kittie
    • By kittie 13th Feb 18, 7:19 AM
    • 11,323 Posts
    • 69,468 Thanks
    kittie
    Has anyone ever made any alan dart patterns? Fantastic quirky things like dickensian mice and knitting sheep. I loved his designs and collected over 60 patterns over the years, now many are out of print. I keep them all in a file but only ever made one. I am quietly trying to downsize. Should I get rid of them? Advise me please
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Feb 18, 11:00 AM
    • 15,570 Posts
    • 131,376 Thanks
    JackieO
    No ,I hang on the good patterns especially of toys etc as there are always charities that welcome things made with oddments of wool. I have a Jean Greenhowe pattern for a set of tiny dressed mice which I have made for lots of charities There is a mouse for every season.I am making some already for the Christmas 'Making Miracles' charity. Great way to use up odds and ends of wool and children love them
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    2018 Food spend so far this year
    Jan; £29.22. Feb so far £12.44
    • babs 103
    • By babs 103 13th Feb 18, 11:40 AM
    • 54 Posts
    • 528 Thanks
    babs 103
    I have made a few Alan Dart patterns, am currently doing the Owl and the !!!!!cat as It's my favourite poem. I have them on my laptop and dropbox but a few years ago I lost all my files and emailed Alan, he was kind enough to send them to me again so you will never really lose them if you did rehome them, not sure if you can sell them tho because of copyright. x
    SPC #11 025
    • kittie
    • By kittie 16th Feb 18, 9:04 PM
    • 11,323 Posts
    • 69,468 Thanks
    kittie
    some of his patterns will never be available again because the copyright is owned by other companies. This is the one I made
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alan-Darts-Simply-Knitting-Knitting-Sheep-Doll-Toy-KNITTING-PATTERN-/122755438125

Tbh, it really is nice. I am so glad I still have all those patterns, I think I will sit and make a list of them in front of the file. I wonder how many I actually do have? I too have jean greenhowe patterns, could never bear to get rid of them

About 30 years ago I made a lovely thing, it was a tinker woman with a tray held from her neck of miniature things like little balls of wool and needles and specs. I wish I had kept it
    • kittie
    • By kittie 16th Feb 18, 9:11 PM
    • 11,323 Posts
    • 69,468 Thanks
    kittie
    Babs are you making night owl? It is lovely. I have two full and heavy files, just taken them out to look at
    • babs 103
    • By babs 103 17th Feb 18, 11:20 AM
    • 54 Posts
    • 528 Thanks
    babs 103
    Actually I am doing the owl and the cat one but forgot that the actual word would not work on this site as it could be rude! it rhymes with wossy. They are sitting in a pea green boat but I'm having trouble getting the right colour at the moment.

I love that poem xx
    SPC #11 025
    • lynseydee
    • By lynseydee 18th Feb 18, 5:52 PM
    • 1,658 Posts
    • 7,554 Thanks
    lynseydee
    I'll try and explain this as well as I can, hopefully someone will know what I mean.

When you knit in the round do you knit your stiches away from you or against you i.e. the needles you're working on are in front of you or are the needles you're not working on in front of you?

I hope you know what I mean. Just didn't know if there was a proper way of holding your work.

Thanks
    Did owe £9,951.96

Now helping hubby pay off loan. Finally paid off

Owe Virgin £5,950.00 at 0% til June 2009 £3,427.89. Owe HSBC £5,460.78 2.9% til May 2010 £3,703.07. Owe Post Office £1,676.62 at 0% til September 2010
    • kittie
    • By kittie 18th Feb 18, 6:11 PM
    • 11,323 Posts
    • 69,468 Thanks
    kittie
    knit stitches are on the outside of the circle all the time, so you knit in the round and the 2 needles in use are always nearest to you
    • lynseydee
    • By lynseydee 18th Feb 18, 6:52 PM
    • 1,658 Posts
    • 7,554 Thanks
    lynseydee
    knit stitches are on the outside of the circle all the time, so you knit in the round and the 2 needles in use are always nearest to you
    Originally posted by kittie
    Thanks Kittie

That is one thing I like about knitting in the round is that it's all knit stitch, just wasn't sure whereabouts the needles should be. As I don't do lots of knitting in the round sometimes I end up knitting with the needles away from me and vice versa. Didn't know if there was actually a "right" way.
    Did owe £9,951.96

Now helping hubby pay off loan. Finally paid off

Owe Virgin £5,950.00 at 0% til June 2009 £3,427.89. Owe HSBC £5,460.78 2.9% til May 2010 £3,703.07. Owe Post Office £1,676.62 at 0% til September 2010
    • kittie
    • By kittie 19th Feb 18, 7:29 AM
    • 11,323 Posts
    • 69,468 Thanks
    kittie
    Actually I am doing the owl and the cat one but forgot that the actual word would not work on this site as it could be rude! it rhymes with wossy. They are sitting in a pea green boat but I'm having trouble getting the right colour at the moment.

I love that poem xx
    Originally posted by babs 103
    I found it, I have that one I also have shaun the sheep and friends and muffin the mule amongst lots of others. I`ll definitely go back to making these toys in the future
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

927Posts Today

6,992Users online

Martin's Twitter