Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Littlebean
    The Knitters Thread
    • 1st Oct 07, 5:55 AM
    The Knitters Thread 1st Oct 07 at 5:55 AM
    Following on from the recent thread about handknitting it is apparent that many of us OS'ers are also keen knitters. The idea of this thread is to give us a place to post comments/suggestions, to be able to chat about our current work in progress (WIP), share patterns/tips/tricks, and post pictures of our completed work (I'm nosy and love seeing piccies ).

I'll get the ball rolling: I've now finished knitting the sweater that sparked the original post. Now I've remembered just how much I disliked making up the finished garment -definately the worst part of knitting. I've managed to pick up and knit around the neck and I've done the collar, but now I have to work out how to set in the sleeves - hmmmmmm. Any suggestions/tips would be gratefully received. I've never knitted a sweater with shaped armholes before - having stuck to straight seams - but having splurged on the yarn I really want the finished product to look nice.
Page 462
    • kittie
    • By kittie 7th Jan 18, 8:39 AM
    • 11,577 Posts
    • 66,888 Thanks
    kittie
    I always weave ends then block.
    You just wash very gently in something like eucalan or wool wash, really just a soak and squeeze, then roll in a big towel and squeeze, it will end up almost dry. Wool needs to be treated differently than acrylic, acrylic goes floppy and lifeless with steam heat, so wrt acrylic, I would lay out a bit at a time on the ironing board and steam from a height and pat gently with my fingers. You could do the full works ie lay out and pin on a blocking board, I have jigsaw floor tiles in white for this and large pins and wires for edges but would only really bother for something like a shawl. You can lay on a board and then spray with water mist too, then just leave to dry

Wool is much more robust to block and I use steam much closer and pat. The ironing board is enough for me for most things. I am thinking cot blanket size but if bigger then I would probably look at using the tiles and a spray. Avoid pressing hard on the cables, esp if acrylic

Re socks, I did 5 inches on a small 9" circular with bent needles and I had to push every single time to take a stitch off the left needle, it left my r hand sore. I changed to dpns and the knitting flew and was so much more comfortable. It was a good test but I will never use the small circulars for socks. My dpns are karbonz in 2.25. I don`t need socks for me but dd has a birthday next month and they all love hand made knits
    • babs 103
    • By babs 103 7th Jan 18, 8:42 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 225 Thanks
    babs 103
    You don't need to do that, just keep copying your previous rows. Just make a pattern with the stripes.
    Originally posted by nursemaggie

I see what you mean nursemaggie but I only have one ball of each colour so will have to make sure I have enough left to do the sleeves if I don't do it all at once, thanks for the idea x
    SPC #11 025
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 7th Jan 18, 12:22 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 529 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    Hi All
    I've knitted a beautiful blanket for my youngest son which I need to block and also weave in the ends - which do I do first, block and then weave in ends or weave in ends and then block?

Also any tips on how best to block - it is knitted in Aran and is about 100cm by 80cm

Thanks in advance
    Originally posted by europe2014
    For me, it depends - which isn't much help to you For crochet-lace shawls, I weave in the ends after aggressively blocking, but for smaller knitted items I would weave in first and then block.

We are in a tiny flat, so I use the bed for blocking - strip the covers off, spread towels onto mattress, soak the item and pin it well through the towels into the mattress.
    It works well and we've never hd any sensation of the bed being damp that night either! Mind you, after soaking I do spread it onto another towel, roll that tightly and then walk on the roll so that does take a lot of moisture out, whilst leaving the fibres relaxed enough to block.
    • europe2014
    • By europe2014 8th Jan 18, 6:49 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    europe2014
    Thank you Kittie and Laura_Elsewhere - I will now motivate myself to doing the last bit as I really enjoyed knitting it so would be nice to see my son using it

I also need to sew the ears on to my daughters rabbit hat and continue knitting my eldest son blanket too.

I am however tempted to start some socks too as I've had the wool for a few years and all this talk about them is making me feel guilty
    • kittie
    • By kittie 8th Jan 18, 8:29 AM
    • 11,577 Posts
    • 66,888 Thanks
    kittie
    It is cold outside, I don`t want to shop for something to do. The allotment is sleeping, I have plenty of food in store. I could be bored but am completely immersed in my knitting just now.

I sit in a recliner, I bought a slightly wider one, so that it was comfy for knitting. I like my 14" lantern moon or karbonz needles but prefer circulars and dpns these days. The long needles make me lift my arms, so I get shoulder ache, they need to be higher than the armrest. The other needles, stay low in my lap and there is enough width in the chair to accomodate the wool as well as me. I have a small trolley next to me with bits and bobs on the top, radio remote, a tablet to play audible books, notebook, tissues and knitting paraphernalia and a coaster for a mug. The sun shines low and I put one blind a bit lower to shield my face but I sit in the sun, in the window and it feels so uplifting

I finished one sock yesterday and have started the rib on the other. I am casting on, one stitch at a time, on the tiny circular and making the cast on loose, so it stretches all the way around. I will do the rib on the circular and then transfer to dpns. This is giving me a very nice and loose rib.

Talking about circulars, I have an endless supply and keep them in a long pocketed hanger on the back of the door. Each space is labelled and the needle ends hang down, it clatters when I shut the door. Still that is not enough for the multiple size combinations ie needle size and length and I often like to use 2 circulars instead of straight needles. The good ones are so easy to hold and on the fingers. I also have chiaogoo interchangeable sets and use them a lot. I gave all my old needles to a cs, had some for over 50 years

Once this pair of socks is finished, it will be today, I intend to make another to put away for another birthday. I have been told that the most prized present that one person had was a pair of hm socks. I know because I love to wear mine and they are beyond comfortable
    Last edited by kittie; 08-01-2018 at 8:31 AM.
    • Well Preserved
    • By Well Preserved 8th Jan 18, 9:37 AM
    • 174 Posts
    • 1,015 Thanks
    Well Preserved
    Kittie, I see a Norwegian knitting Facebook page (a Norwegian friend ‘joined’ me) & while I struggle to understand Google translate I made out that they were enthusiastic about some Addi needles called Crasytrio, where you have stitches on 2 needles and use the third to work with. They look a bit like those cable needles with a bend in them. Apparently short row heels are a doddle because there’s half the stitches on each of the two. I’m no expert, having only done a couple of pairs of socks, but they look interesting although expensive at just over £12 a pair. Oh and each needle has a sharp and blunt end. Have you come across these?
    • kittie
    • By kittie 8th Jan 18, 10:01 AM
    • 11,577 Posts
    • 66,888 Thanks
    kittie
    never WP, maybe you can find a forum on ravelry. I do my socks with 4 of my dpns, each side of the heel on one needle and all the front on one. Its very easy this way. The needles make a triangle shape, I make sure to put a stitch marker, safety pin type, in the centre back as all the rows start and finish there
    • Well Preserved
    • By Well Preserved 8th Jan 18, 11:57 AM
    • 174 Posts
    • 1,015 Thanks
    Well Preserved
    Didn’t think to look on Ravelry - thanks!
    • blackcatsx2
    • By blackcatsx2 8th Jan 18, 6:23 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 800 Thanks
    blackcatsx2
    Kittie - the environment you have described for your knitting sounds idyllic!
    • Seakay
    • By Seakay 8th Jan 18, 8:52 PM
    • 4,154 Posts
    • 10,001 Thanks
    Seakay
    WP apparently these are the same as Crasytrio but the version sold in N America https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcNK0xCFXNc

Here's AddiCrasytrio https://youtu.be/YKt6kXr3nIA

lots of other demonstrations on YouTube as well
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 8th Jan 18, 10:01 PM
    • 1,906 Posts
    • 24,492 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Those look very interesting.
    • Well Preserved
    • By Well Preserved 9th Jan 18, 12:00 AM
    • 174 Posts
    • 1,015 Thanks
    Well Preserved
    Thank you, I’ll have a proper look tomorrow. I thought they might be good if the Norwegian ladies like them - I love seeing the work they produce.
    • hiddenshadow
    • By hiddenshadow 9th Jan 18, 4:55 PM
    • 2,393 Posts
    • 10,855 Thanks
    hiddenshadow
    I saw a demo on youtube for them the other day and have been contemplating them. (They're available at Loop if anyone orders from/visits there http://www.loopknittingshop.com/p/7639/Addi-CraSy-Trio-Needles) I'm trying my first set of socks on DPNs (usually I do magic loop), so far it's different but I don't totally hate it, lol. I might like the CrasyTrio needles better, though, since they're more like magic loop.
    MFW: £197,100 (2013) to £103,848 (Jan '18)
    2018 MFW #56: £798/£105,000 0% / MFiT-T4 #15: £55,652/£90,000 61%
    • kittie
    • By kittie 9th Jan 18, 5:16 PM
    • 11,577 Posts
    • 66,888 Thanks
    kittie
    I finished my socks, the present for dd and am just about to make a pair for someone else with a birthday middle of february. It is such a nice small item to make, satisfying knitting. Its all about arranging the stitches on the dpns, in an order and putting a safety pin-type marker in the middle of the back. The order helps so much with the shaping and you hardly need to look at a pattern after the first sock.

I am only using stash, still have plenty left, opal and regia and two full balls of noro, which will be more tricky to knit and makes firmer socks. I made scarves with noro sock yarn a few years ago, they were firm and scratchy but they took much bashing in water and then soaking in conditioner. Open lace stitches, so those scarves are now lovely, drape and colours. I must go and examine the noro socks I already made, otherwise I can make two more scarves for presents

I am getting some shoulder ache in my left shoulder. I need to sit in a slightly different position, I think I unconsciously raise my left shoulder slightly, even if my hands are working in my lap. It is either that or the constant dreary damp weather
    • kittie
    • By kittie 10th Jan 18, 6:14 PM
    • 11,577 Posts
    • 66,888 Thanks
    kittie
    I made a complete sock today and have started the second one, regia 6 ply yarn and it is making a nice soft sock, bigger dpns ie 3mm. I think I have solved the shoulder ache problem, it was caused by my back being further back than my head, a back roll behind my lower back has sorted it and I also found that sometimes sitting in a different seat with my feet flat on a pouffe, was very comfortable. That chair is a zero gravity chair but is still slightly back when locked upright and my head was straight. The arm rests on the seat are very low and was actually more comfortable than the recliner. I shall have to put a light behind it, had to stop as it was getting too dark
    • kittie
    • By kittie 14th Jan 18, 5:28 PM
    • 11,577 Posts
    • 66,888 Thanks
    kittie
    The best thing about winter is the stopping of the tail wagging the dog wrt the allotment, so I have had time to knit and it is so enjoyable with the radio or audible on. I have just finished my third pair of socks, size 8, first 2 pairs were size 6. I have foot shapes for blocking and the size 6 are completely ready for dd for her birthday. The size 8 is for a sil for his birthday and are hanging on foot shapers, strung up on the corners of a heated towel rail

I have tidied up and got the hat leftovers out, ready to make another hat. I am ripping through stash at the moment, long may it last
    • hiddenshadow
    • By hiddenshadow 15th Jan 18, 2:37 PM
    • 2,393 Posts
    • 10,855 Thanks
    hiddenshadow
    Sounds lovely, kittie.

I'm struggling a bit on the sock front. Working on a lacy pair for myself, but I may have started the gusset/heel turn too early. Going to cast on the second sock and knit a bit further before ending the foot and see which I prefer.

Need to cast on a pair for my mum but the pattern I picked only has one size and it's too big. Have found a new pattern but need to see how well it will work with the yarn.
    MFW: £197,100 (2013) to £103,848 (Jan '18)
    2018 MFW #56: £798/£105,000 0% / MFiT-T4 #15: £55,652/£90,000 61%
    • kittie
    • By kittie 16th Jan 18, 6:10 PM
    • 11,577 Posts
    • 66,888 Thanks
    kittie
    HS, I don`t bother with any patterned socks, I like the plain vanilla pattern and love using the different yarns to see what colour combos appear as if by magic. I am careful to pull wool out of the ball before the second sock, so that the colout combo matches in each sock. I do have lots of sock patterns but vanilla (plain) are favourite

I finished the second hat and still have shetland wool left but I have thrown the remnants out, I am really fed up of fair isle and the concentration needed for almost every row. I could have made fingerless gloves but that was a step to far and would have put me off my knitting mood

I have just spent £7 . and downloaded a pattern that I think would be perfect for a box of stash

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/al-fresco-3

by all accounts it is an easy fast knit from wrist to wrist. I have noro hanabatake colour 14, seems to be mostly purples, burgundy, dark green and is self striping, hence me wanting to knit something with stripes going downwards. I hope it is like hitchiker ie mindless knitting so I can concentrate on my audible detective story
    • Seakay
    • By Seakay 16th Jan 18, 7:47 PM
    • 4,154 Posts
    • 10,001 Thanks
    Seakay
    The best thing about winter is the stopping of the tail wagging the dog wrt the allotment, so I have had time to knit and it is so enjoyable with the radio or audible on. I have just finished my third pair of socks, size 8, first 2 pairs were size 6. I have foot shapes for blocking and the size 6 are completely ready for dd for her birthday. The size 8 is for a sil for his birthday and are hanging on foot shapers, strung up on the corners of a heated towel rail

I have tidied up and got the hat leftovers out, ready to make another hat. I am ripping through stash at the moment, long may it last
    Originally posted by kittie
    I've never come across foot shapers before. I've just Googled them but i was wondering if you could tell us what type you use and if you have to have the exact size of the sock being made, or if approximate is ok, and how they help with making socks?
    • kittie
    • By kittie 17th Jan 18, 7:58 AM
    • 11,577 Posts
    • 66,888 Thanks
    kittie
    I have wooden ones, obviously hand made with a scroll saw. They are called sock blockers. The ones I own have large holes in them so the socks dry properly. I use them every time I make socks, wash, roll in a towel, put the blocker in and leave to dry. You don`t need a blocker but they give a lovely finish when making socks for presents. You will find them if you google. I used 5-6 earlier this week and lately 7-8

I spent a fair bit of time working out gauge for my new pattern last night. It is a top with a lot of positive ease ie 16-20" bigger than actual measurements, so gauge is not absolutely crucial but I could not get it to match, tried 4 times, so decided to use the size which gave me a nice texture. 6 was nearest to gauge but texture was too open, so I settled on 5 and will make the largest size as gauge was smaller than the pattern. I only did a rough measuremet btw, only enough to give me a quick idea. So I started but am using the smallest measurements for length ie 7" not 9.5. I often find that I can alter length but width is harder.

I am loving how the yarn is turning out, almost finished one ball, beautiful feel, drape and colour. Noro makes the most beautiful random colours but their yarns are always very different to start with, some are twisty ie single ply and hard to work with. This yarn is textured and I am thinking how glad I am that I snaffled enough in a sale. I had been putting off using it, could not find an appropriate pattern
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,231Posts Today

9,773Users online

Martin's Twitter