Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Littlebean
    The Knitters Thread
    • 1st Oct 07, 5:55 AM
    The Knitters Thread 1st Oct 07 at 5:55 AM
    Following on from the recent thread about handknitting it is apparent that many of us OS'ers are also keen knitters. The idea of this thread is to give us a place to post comments/suggestions, to be able to chat about our current work in progress (WIP), share patterns/tips/tricks, and post pictures of our completed work (I'm nosy and love seeing piccies ).

I'll get the ball rolling: I've now finished knitting the sweater that sparked the original post. Now I've remembered just how much I disliked making up the finished garment -definately the worst part of knitting. I've managed to pick up and knit around the neck and I've done the collar, but now I have to work out how to set in the sleeves - hmmmmmm. Any suggestions/tips would be gratefully received. I've never knitted a sweater with shaped armholes before - having stuck to straight seams - but having splurged on the yarn I really want the finished product to look nice.
Page 461
    • berrybug
    • By berrybug 10th Oct 17, 2:33 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    berrybug
    Pintrest is another great place for free patterns
    I pray for patience as strength might just get me in trouble !!!!
    • Patricia01
    • By Patricia01 13th Oct 17, 4:46 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Patricia01
    Get them online - you'll have to wait for them to arrive, but I got 3 bunches of circular needles for about £5 on ebay, and they're great for taking your current project out and shoving it into your bag half-way through a row!
    • kittie
    • By kittie 8th Dec 17, 6:58 AM
    • 11,378 Posts
    • 64,886 Thanks
    kittie
    I have been doing a re-think of how I knit, not the method but the sizing and patterns. I recently gave away five bulky hm pure wool items, also home spun, all good but made me look like a very warm whale. Too shapeless and quite honestly too big. It was that old thing of me remaining stuck in my old size, in my head. In actual fact I have lost over 8kg and that is only the start

I have to finish my last afterlight drapey top, in red, this is waist shaped with 2/3 length sleeves. I wish I had made them a size smaller as they hang lower on the shoulders, look nice but not bare for winter, not for me. I want them as layering tops for winter so have bought a couple of black silk ss t shirts to go underneath and that works

So from now on I will be making smaller sized knitwear, smaller than I think I need. I already use a size smaller needle to get tension. I won`t generally be making jumpers but I will be making some cardigans as my aim now is to wear layers, which fits in with all the KM clearing that I have done. I will continue to make ss summer wear as I can use very luxury fibre eg silk/cashmere blends and get pleasure also from spinning them. At the moment, I have grey falkland wool on my wheel and am steadily spinning that up as a 3 ply, destined to be a very useful cardigan, one day
    Last edited by kittie; 08-12-2017 at 7:02 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

215Posts Today

1,325Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin