Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Littlebean
    The Knitters Thread
    • 1st Oct 07, 5:55 AM
    The Knitters Thread 1st Oct 07 at 5:55 AM
    Following on from the recent thread about handknitting it is apparent that many of us OS'ers are also keen knitters. The idea of this thread is to give us a place to post comments/suggestions, to be able to chat about our current work in progress (WIP), share patterns/tips/tricks, and post pictures of our completed work (I'm nosy and love seeing piccies ).

I'll get the ball rolling: I've now finished knitting the sweater that sparked the original post. Now I've remembered just how much I disliked making up the finished garment -definately the worst part of knitting. I've managed to pick up and knit around the neck and I've done the collar, but now I have to work out how to set in the sleeves - hmmmmmm. Any suggestions/tips would be gratefully received. I've never knitted a sweater with shaped armholes before - having stuck to straight seams - but having splurged on the yarn I really want the finished product to look nice.
Page 456
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 17th May 17, 7:45 PM
    • 1,618 Posts
    • 21,054 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    I learned to knit at the age of 4. My aunt taught me a completely different method to what my mum used. My aunt only stayed with us for one week so I must have learned fast.

If you get her started she will soon find out how long it takes. When my teacher started teaching me she realised knitting squares was not for me so she taught me to use DPNs. I then spent the next two years kitting nothing but gloves for my extended family and a few friends of mums too I think.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 17th May 17, 8:13 PM
    • 2,604 Posts
    • 32,912 Thanks
    monnagran
    I think that is impressive nursemaggie. To learn to knit in a week at the age of 4 must be some sort of record. I don't know how old I was when I was started on the dishcloths but I do remember sitting up in bed and knitting when I was recovering from measles, so I must have been 5 or 6.
    Funnily enough I don't remember knitting anything else between the dishcloths and knitting myself a jumper when I was about 14. Presumably I must have progressed in the intervening years.

I taught lots of children to knit and to crochet, although my crochet skills are bit dodgy to say the least. I think it is incredibly important to teach children these crafts. One little girl, who was very academic and very pressured by her parents, was extremely tense and stressed. I taught her to crochet, just a granny square and she loved it. This granny square grew and grew as she sat in lessons crocheting like mad. As it grew she relaxed more and more and the staff said that they could watch all the tension leaving her. They also said that if she went on much longer they would be able to carpet the classroom with her granny square.. I wonder if she is now some high powered executive and still crocheting granny squares.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • THIRZAH
    • By THIRZAH 17th May 17, 10:12 PM
    • 1,281 Posts
    • 5,864 Thanks
    THIRZAH
    My DD2 was very academic and gets very stressed .She took up lace making in her teens and now crochets. I've always tried to encourage her with craft work as it does seem to reduce her stress levels.
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 18th May 17, 3:44 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 1,842 Thanks
    YorksLass
    My granddaughter, aged 4, is desperate to learn to knit. Now I have been bitten by this before, trying to teach small children at school to knit. I don't suppose it is part of the curriculum these days. If it ever was! It scarred me for ever. However, I'm about to cave in, against my better judgement. To add to the mix she is left handed.

I was wondering if the continental style of knitting would be easier for her. It's something that I've never done so I would have to learn first.
    Originally posted by monnagran
    Age 4 is possibly a bit young, but the continental style is supposed to be better for left-handed knitters. I have tried it but, being right-handed, just can't get the hang of it! You can get shorter, fatter needles that would suit a young child's smaller hands, and wooden ones might be better as the stitches don't slip off quite so easily. I'm also wondering if crochet might be easier for now?

Have you thought of starting her off with an old fashioned Knitting Nancy?
    Originally posted by anakat
    Good idea.

I too remember learning to knit at school when I was about 6 years old - a red scarf with white tassles for teddy. Oh how I hated it! It never seemed to "grow" and I would pull the work in an effort to stretch it, all to no avail. Also, a jumper when I was about 13 or 14 that turned out well (with help from DM to sew up). Strange, I don't remember doing anything else inbetween! Now in my late 60s, I'm hardly ever without some knitting project on the needles, usually in the evenings while watching TV, so I must have persevered and improved over the years!
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

May GC: 160 - 149.63 = 10.37 / NSDs 20/28
    June GC: 200 - 0 = 200 / NSDs 0/35
    • carlislelass
    • By carlislelass 18th May 17, 6:01 PM
    • 1,526 Posts
    • 3,711 Thanks
    carlislelass
    Gran taught me to knit when I was 5, 60 yrs later I still can't crochet
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

194Posts Today

1,215Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just leaving Manchester after the funeral of my beloved grandma Gladys who passed away last night. https://t.co/nuC9ry5mP6

• The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Follow Martin