Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Littlebean
    The Knitters Thread
    • 1st Oct 07, 5:55 AM
    The Knitters Thread 1st Oct 07 at 5:55 AM
    Following on from the recent thread about handknitting it is apparent that many of us OS'ers are also keen knitters. The idea of this thread is to give us a place to post comments/suggestions, to be able to chat about our current work in progress (WIP), share patterns/tips/tricks, and post pictures of our completed work (I'm nosy and love seeing piccies ).

I'll get the ball rolling: I've now finished knitting the sweater that sparked the original post. Now I've remembered just how much I disliked making up the finished garment -definately the worst part of knitting. I've managed to pick up and knit around the neck and I've done the collar, but now I have to work out how to set in the sleeves - hmmmmmm. Any suggestions/tips would be gratefully received. I've never knitted a sweater with shaped armholes before - having stuck to straight seams - but having splurged on the yarn I really want the finished product to look nice.
Page 454
    • plumduff55
    • By plumduff55 27th Feb 17, 2:28 PM
    • 365 Posts
    • 2,981 Thanks
    plumduff55
    Hi everyone, I'm just back from the Knit and Natter event in Watt Bros, Glasgow and I am super happy because I won the main prize in the raffle which was a £50 gift voucher to buy wool in any of their stores.

I never win anything - well, I did win a Christmas cake about 15 years ago after I had just baked one !!! But to win wool is the best thing ever

Watts have a store about 7 miles from me which has a better wool dept than Glasgow so I shall go there to spend voucher.

The best tip of the day was to.... WAIT FOR IT ........... vacuum pack your wool so that it takes up less storage space. WOW why didn't I think of that. Seemingly Poundland sell the bags for a pound - of course 🤑.

Happy knitting from a very happy knitter xx
    SPC 10 Member 045 Target £250
    • plumduff55
    • By plumduff55 10th Mar 17, 7:09 PM
    • 365 Posts
    • 2,981 Thanks
    plumduff55
    Hi, where is everyone ????

Today I went and spent my £50 prize voucher from Watt Bros. Can't believe how difficult it was 😐. Most of their wool was 100% acrylic and I don't like knitting with that. So after spending about an hour trying to decide I eventually chose 7 x 400gram balls of Aran wool. These were an acrylic and wool mix and cost £6.99 each. I also bought a knitting pattern booklet which I forgot to put in my bag . I phoned the shop and they are keeping it for me.

I must now buy some vacuum bags to store all this wool. Happy knitting everyone xx
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 10th Mar 17, 7:56 PM
    • 1,648 Posts
    • 21,331 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Maybe everyone is struggling with knitting like me at the moment. I have gone back on my cancer treatment, it came back and it makes my hands feel sore. I have temporarily abandoned the dead fish hats. Still waiting for measurements for GDS's hands as he is big for his age. His mum was wearing age 6 -7 at 3 so I expect him to be the same.

Have restarted the jumper I was knitting before but it is painful knitting so I keep putting it down. This ones smaller size needles so I think that may explain not being able to hold them so well. I think I have left a knitting pattern behind in a shop before.

I would look for some better quality storage bags than poundland I bought some a few years ago they leaked.

I wish I could buy wool instead of acrylic but I am allergic to it. I am sightly worried I may struggle with the "Pure New Wool I bought to make DD some gloves but could not resist it for £2 in a charity shop. For 100gm.

I also got some for SiL 200gm for £3 it is mixed but 25% wool. I thought it was blue/grey in the shop but when I put it against something grey it turned out to be green. I hope to get two pairs from that.
    • plumduff55
    • By plumduff55 10th Mar 17, 10:59 PM
    • 365 Posts
    • 2,981 Thanks
    plumduff55
    Hi nursemaggie, sorry to hear about your treatment affecting your hands but good that you're still able to knit a bit. Would other needles help you. I've never knitted with circular needles but I've heard a lot of people saying they're great. I knit with bamboo needles. They're lighter in weight, more pliable and warmer. I started knitting with them several years ago when I had shoulder pain and now I couldn't go back to the metal needles. I don't know if any of this will help you but hope so.

I am also allergic to wearing wool next to my skin but can get away with a small percentage of wool mixed with acrylic. I know I could wear cashmere (cause I tried my friends cardigan) but it is so expensive. I love an acrylic and nylon mix for babies clothes as it is so soft.

I've got two things on the go at the moment. A deep red chunky cable cardigan for myself and a chunky fishermans rib scarf to put by for a Xmas present. Fishermans rib is lovely to look at but takes ages to knit and it is so boring. That's why I'm doing 2 things otherwise the scarf would drive me mad.

Nice to hear from you nursemaggie xx
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 10th Mar 17, 11:26 PM
    • 1,648 Posts
    • 21,331 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    I agree about the fishermans knit and if you go wrong you have to pull back to much. It does make a nice thick scarf though.

Thanks for the suggestions but actually using my hands at all hurts. They feel like grazed knees do if you can remember the pain from childhood. I do so much and then rest them. If I don't knit when watching TV I fiddle with things. I just get irritable. It's things that need to be gripped or things that have edges like knives, forks and spoons that hurt the most, switching things on and off too. I think having warm needles would be worse than cool metal ones.

I would rather have painful hands than keep fiddling with things. It still hurts.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 11th Mar 17, 8:03 AM
    • 13,787 Posts
    • 127,521 Thanks
    mardatha
    I've put my knitting on hold - got so much new energy now that I'm making the most of it. Spring cleaning and decluttering like mad. Not been able to do much at all since Oct 2015 so it's long overdue. I will eventually circle back to knitting when my batteries run out lol
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 12th Mar 17, 12:13 AM
    • 526 Posts
    • 3,255 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    Nursemaggie, do you crochet? Because you use your hands differently when you crochet, I was wondering if it would be less painful. Either way, good luck with your cancer treatment.

I'm currently knitting "Young and Pretty" from A Stitch In Time, in Lidl's finest "Crelando Anika" 4-ply sock yarn. The yarn has been in my stash for 4 years. It was sold in packets of 2-multi-coloured balls, 2-plain blue. I knitted several pairs of socks with the multi-coloured yarn but the plain blue languished. (At the time, I bought 3 packs for £24, so this jumper will cost me £12.)

Does anyone else knit with Lidl's yarn? I like it. I have knitted 2 jumpers in their Zettle Alina bulky 100% wool, as well as the above mentioned socks. It's good quality and cheap. Annoyingly though, you never know when they will carry it and the colours are usually a weird selection.
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. #47 Official Brain Harvesting Body Counter
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 12th Mar 17, 6:03 PM
    • 15,219 Posts
    • 194,530 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    Sorry not been in for a while hope all are as well as can be and hugs to those who need them
    Nurse Maggie I hope your treatment is going well.

Im on the third of three blankets I've knitted recently, I did a green one, a white one and am now on a variegated pink/red one I've knitted this blanket in four corner to corner squares that I crocheted together I'm now doing a crochet edging to finish it off.
    grocery challenge June budget £400 spent £164.76
    SPC~10 No100 : : X4 £2,150 o/t fund so far
    read your books challenge-currently on magic of tidying up
    xstitch challenge 63 Celtic Christmas
    17in 2017 challenge 3/17
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 12th Mar 17, 9:19 PM
    • 1,648 Posts
    • 21,331 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Thank for wishing my treatment goes well. There is no way of telling yet until I can have a scan. There is a limit to how many you can have in a year, I think it is five or six. I had one at the beginning of February, when they found the cancer was growing again. I think I will have to wait a few more weeks perhaps the middle of April, for the next.

We do have a knowledge that it did stopped it growing for three years before they stopped the treatment. I shall have to stay on the treatment for life now.

I don't think crocheting would help that uses some of the parts of the hand that hurts most. Typing is the most painful. I am thankful I am not working and I don't have to type all day.

The jumper I was struggling to get the stitches the right number for the size I have got right now. I have done quite a bit and the cable is interesting. The two bits you twist are 5 st ss and 5 st moss st. It really looks nice. I may use it some time for another hoodie for DGS.

PipneyJane I have never seen Lidl's wool, I used to shop there. I find it easier to go to Ald! now. We have three of them here and they are all easier to get to than Lidl. I will have to keep an eye out for some online and then go and get it.

I did like Ald!'s because it knitted up nice but now I have had a couple of things over a year I am finding it goes bobbly very quickly. It too has some problems with odd colours.
    • purpleybat
    • By purpleybat 25th Mar 17, 1:26 AM
    • 188 Posts
    • 1,439 Thanks
    purpleybat
    hooray!!
    I finally finished the short sleeved top I started this time last year I had to stop for about 5 months cos I woke up in agony one morning and was eventually diagnosed with 2 prolapsed discs in my neck which gave me evil arm pain and a numb right hand.
    when it was a bit better I couldn't get back into the pattern for a while, but I kept at it and its finally finished and sewn up.
    when shopping for more yarn online I saw that bulk packs on LoveKnitting was cheaper than if I bought the amount I strictly needed, and as I like the idea of a multi-coloured sweater using all the odds I decided to buy a pack. the downside was I couldn't decide on the colour I wanted so bought dark purple, dark pink and black.
    I've spent 2 weeks of cig money on it and so far its keeping me from smoking (as well as chewing nicotine gum like a demon) so a brilliant buy as far as i'm concerned.
    the very plain cardi i'm making is from a pattern in an ancient woman's weekly magazine, is a nice quick knit in contrast to the pain in the a**e 'counted' pattern of the last one, and am looking forward to finishing and wearing it in a month.
    gc jan 148.59/150 feb 134.58/150 mar 148.35/160 apr 139.24/160 may 165.78/160
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 25th Mar 17, 1:49 AM
    • 1,648 Posts
    • 21,331 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Congratulations on finally finishing your short sleeved top, and even better on stopping smoking. You have just done the best thing you could ever do for you and your families health. You have also given your bank balance a boost if you stick to it you will save a lot of money and no longer be a slave to tobacco.
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 25th Mar 17, 1:50 AM
    • 1,648 Posts
    • 21,331 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Hope everyone is OK.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 25th Mar 17, 6:57 AM
    • 13,787 Posts
    • 127,521 Thanks
    mardatha
    I'm kicking myself for buying cotton that I hate. It looked lovely on the website, really delicate pale blue and pink... got it and its bright staring in-yer-face awful blue and sickly pink. I started knitting a hitchhiker with the blue, cutting it with stripes of pale blue-grey silk, but I still don't like it. I'm so desperate not to waste it that I'm thinking to try a teatowel with the damn stuff. At least it will be absorbent for the dishes
    I fell in love with Katia yarns, they have some truly gorgeous cotton mixes and Katia Air Lux is stunning, but it seems to be hard to get here.
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 25th Mar 17, 11:06 AM
    • 1,648 Posts
    • 21,331 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Will be an expensive teatowel Mar. DS did comment that my scarves looked like teatowels. I can't think what the pattern was but I think I put it on here. Won't you still hate the colours when you dry the pots?

Next times I would send them straight back if you don't like the colours. I have only had the one lot of yarn from a website, still buying yarn from Age UK. It was Patons yarn and one ball had 15 knots in it. It did not wash very well either. It has put me off buying yarn on line.

I do vaguely remember I was not keen on Patons yarn when I was young. My dad wanted a fairisle sweater and we could not find a pattern he liked. I designed one for him.

I remember when I took him to choose the wool I told him, " You can have any wool you like except Patons." He chose an expensive yarn but it was worth it because it still looked new after 20 years.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 25th Mar 17, 2:57 PM
    • 13,787 Posts
    • 127,521 Thanks
    mardatha
    I got the cotton really cheap, it was this stuff -
    http://www.purplesheepyarns.co.uk/love-you-6.html
    • purpleybat
    • By purpleybat 27th Mar 17, 9:00 PM
    • 188 Posts
    • 1,439 Thanks
    purpleybat
    I got the cotton really cheap, it was this stuff -
    http://www.purplesheepyarns.co.uk/love-you-6.html
    Originally posted by mardatha

its 4ply? i prefer cotton stuff, it doesn't irritate my skin, maybe we could sort somehow that I buy it off you?
    gc jan 148.59/150 feb 134.58/150 mar 148.35/160 apr 139.24/160 may 165.78/160
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 27th Mar 17, 10:01 PM
    • 13,787 Posts
    • 127,521 Thanks
    mardatha
    It's DK, I put on the wrong link. It's this stuff PB:
    http://www.purplesheepyarns.co.uk/cotlgt33.html
    5 balls of Blue Bonnet and 5 balls of Light Pink. Would 5 balls of DK be enough to knit anything though?
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 27th Mar 17, 10:42 PM
    • 1,648 Posts
    • 21,331 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Now those do look nice colours sorry they turned out so horrible.
    • lovecrafting
    • By lovecrafting 13th Apr 17, 10:15 AM
    • 1,701 Posts
    • 13,616 Thanks
    lovecrafting
    hi all, i am currently knitting santa sacks for december, in my brain i thought yes, one each for the kids will work... uhuh i had forgotten just how long they will take, and i had planned matching stockings and bed blankets to match
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Apr 17, 5:02 PM
    • 14,776 Posts
    • 119,037 Thanks
    JackieO
    Nursemaggie hope your treatment is progressing OK, I have lymphodema which is a left over from my cancer treatment and found that if I don't knit then my right arm siezes up as its twice the size of my left one.

I knit blankets for The Linus Trust which donates them to children all over the world who have nothing often than the clothes on their backs. I have been doing it for the past 8 years and have lost count of the amount I have knitted over the years, but I like to think that somewhere on this planet a child goes to sleep a little warmer for one of my 'blankies' as my DGS used to call them I find wool from all sorts of sources, often handknitted stuff at a boot sale which I will unravel and wash and reknit up (very handy for plain white wool which I use for edging the blankets.)

I am always on the look out for inexpensive websites for DK wool and if anyone knows of any I would be grateful for a heads up. I have never seen wool in my local Aldi's or Lidl's but sometimes there is wool in Wilkos but for some reason never any yellow

My friend crochets for the same charity and any left over bits of balls I knit in stripes to use them up nothing is ever wasted

My grandchildren are now past the age for knitting things for and I am hoping I live long enough to have some gt.grandchildren then my needles will be clicking away again I did for awhile knit prem baby things for the local hospital in 3 and 4 ply as they were always looking for bits for the tiny little early babies.

I really enjoy knitting, as I like to be doing something useful when watching TV

Nice to see that there are other enthusiasts who like it as well

JackieO xx
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,801Posts Today

6,388Users online

Martin's Twitter