PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Knitters Thread

Options

Comments

• kinkine
    kinkine Posts: 119 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good morning everyone, not been on for a while!

Lidl are doing their wool in my neck of the woods from Thursday and I was just wondering if this http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/index_18053.htm is sock wool - I'm thinking not because it doesn't actually say so.

Does Lidl usually do specific sock wool?

Thanks in advance.
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    kinkine wrote: »
    Good morning everyone, not been on for a while!

Lidl are doing their wool in my neck of the woods from Thursday and I was just wondering if this http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/index_18053.htm is sock wool - I'm thinking not because it doesn't actually say so.

Does Lidl usually do specific sock wool?

Thanks in advance.

I had sock wool from there and it said 'sock wool' on it, wonder if this is just 4ply or DK ?
    Nothing like that coming to our store.
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• La_escocesa
    La_escocesa Posts: 3,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Think it's DK - just did a quick search for it on Ravelry - looks like it knits up quite nice actually. Good find! :beer:
  • lambanana
    Options
    PepPop sock wool usually has some nylon in it to make it more durable, generally about 25% nylon to 75% superwash wool. It needs to be tougher if you're walking around on it all day and putting it through the washing machine :) I have socks made with more "luxury" hand dyed sock yarns and whilst they're beautiful colours and ever so soft I am a bit scared of wearing them out as they don't have that nylon and are more likely to be 100% merino wool.

lynseydee I only usually rib for 15 rounds before switching to plain stockinette (all knit stitches) for the rest of the sock, an inch or so of ribbing is enough to keep the sock up and they go faster when they're all knit stitch. It's pure laziness on my part!

I'm working on another cardigan, a top down seamless one this time. It's knit in Rowan Felted Tweed which I got in the sales after Christmas. It's coming along nicely and it's great to think the only sewing I'll have to do is sewing the buttons on at the end!

5409824485_98b0a35396.jpg
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member #398 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts :T
    CC: £6412.95 (0% APR until Feb 2015 which I'm hoping is also my DFD!)
    Currently awaiting the outcome of a PPI claim which may bring forward my DFD, fingers and toes crossed!
  • PepPop
    PepPop Posts: 1,790 Forumite
    Options
    kinkine Thanks for the Lidl wool link - I've bought their wool before, I get some on Monday :beer:

lambanana Thanks for the sock wool explanation. I'm looking forward to trying some out now. Your cardigan's looking good - love the colour.
  • lambanana
    Options
    Thank you, it's a bit more green than that picture shows, green is my favourite colour so I love it too!
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member #398 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts :T
    CC: £6412.95 (0% APR until Feb 2015 which I'm hoping is also my DFD!)
    Currently awaiting the outcome of a PPI claim which may bring forward my DFD, fingers and toes crossed!
  • OrkneyStar
    Options
    lambanana wrote: »
    Thank you, it's a bit more green than that picture shows, green is my favourite colour so I love it too!

It really is lovely.
    I looked at your blog pictures too :).
    I am still doing my swing cardi, if it works out ok in this cheaper wool I might go for something similar to yours (do they do purples ?) as the texture looks really nice.
    x

• kinkine
    kinkine Posts: 119 Forumite
    Options
    OrkneyStar wrote: »
    I had sock wool from there and it said 'sock wool' on it, wonder if this is just 4ply or DK ?
    Nothing like that coming to our store.

Hi OrkneyStar, I seem to remember that during the period before Christmas when I was snowed in Ireland Aldi and Lidl were doing wool and I got all excited, so they must take turns doing the rounds. I suppose that makes sense from a stock point of view. Hopefully it will come your way soon.

I reckon it isn't sock wool then, since it doesn't specifically say. Still nice wool though - worth trying I think.
  • OrkneyStar
    Options
    kinkine wrote: »
    Hi OrkneyStar, I seem to remember that during the period before Christmas when I was snowed in Ireland Aldi and Lidl were doing wool and I got all excited, so they must take turns doing the rounds. I suppose that makes sense from a stock point of view. Hopefully it will come your way soon.

I reckon it isn't sock wool then, since it doesn't specifically say. Still nice wool though - worth trying I think.

LOL, probably better it stays out of my reach for now anyway- got some things on the go and not really needing any more yarn right now :eek::eek:.

• lovecrafting
    Options
    I am a bit of a lurker on here. no much time to post often etc, but just wanted to say thank you to the person who posted the spiral scarf I have done 4 now and am working on a long chunky one for the little one for school.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback