Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Littlebean
    The Knitters Thread
    • 1st Oct 07, 5:55 AM
    The Knitters Thread 1st Oct 07 at 5:55 AM
    Following on from the recent thread about handknitting it is apparent that many of us OS'ers are also keen knitters. The idea of this thread is to give us a place to post comments/suggestions, to be able to chat about our current work in progress (WIP), share patterns/tips/tricks, and post pictures of our completed work (I'm nosy and love seeing piccies ).

I'll get the ball rolling: I've now finished knitting the sweater that sparked the original post. Now I've remembered just how much I disliked making up the finished garment -definately the worst part of knitting. I've managed to pick up and knit around the neck and I've done the collar, but now I have to work out how to set in the sleeves - hmmmmmm. Any suggestions/tips would be gratefully received. I've never knitted a sweater with shaped armholes before - having stuck to straight seams - but having splurged on the yarn I really want the finished product to look nice.
Page 437
    • plumduff55
    • By plumduff55 14th Oct 16, 7:28 PM
    • 330 Posts
    • 2,758 Thanks
    plumduff55
    Hi everyone, I've finished the blue lacy mohair scarf at last - it measures 64" and the last few inches took forever to knit. There's something very demotivating about knitting a long scarf

Being a glutton for punishment I have now started a red lacy scarf the exact same.

I had a moan last week about my state pension and would like to thank the lurkers who de-lurked to give me advice. I phoned the pension agency who were extremely helpful. Because I had an NHS pension I was contracted out so part of my ni contributions were going to my NHS pension so I had not paid enough to het the full state pension at 66. For each £733 I pay now I will have £4.54 added weekly to my pension for life. I would have to pay 5 x £733 to give me the full pension. I don't have to rush to pay but the amount of £733 will increase in 2019. I can pay this money weekly, monthly, quarterly or in a lump sum. I'm not rushing into anything but will take time to weigh up my options.

I have given all the above information as it may help others in the same situation as myself.

Back to knitting the red scarf - they will need to be for presents as I can't wear mohair next to my skin xx
    SPC 9 Member 045 Total 2016 £624.75
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 20th Oct 16, 9:08 AM
    • 13,287 Posts
    • 122,636 Thanks
    mardatha
    Just found this thread and joined - need some nagging and pushing to get the xmas knits all finished. I cannot multi task any more, my brain has died on me and I keep making really stupid beginner mistakes. Last night I managed to do the heel of a sock inside out!! because I was watching iPlayer at the same time as knitting
    So things are getting behind schedule and I'm under pressure here.. Have done 4 prs socks and 4 HitchHiker shawls but still got a few things to do. Bedsocks for a DIL in lovely soft merino and angora next, after I fix this heel.
    • plumduff55
    • By plumduff55 20th Oct 16, 8:00 PM
    • 330 Posts
    • 2,758 Thanks
    plumduff55
    Welcome Mardatha, our little thread is quite quiet just now, I'm hoping everyone is just too busy knitting to post

Today is my birthday and myself, twin brother, 2 little sisters ( not so little - both in their 50s) and our mum all went for a day trip on the Jacobite steam train from Fort William - the one that goes over the viaduct in the Harry Potter films. It was brilliant, the scenery was unbelievable especially on the return journey when the sun was shining.

Back home now and trying to finish the red mohair scarf although I think I'll be going to bed soon as I was up at 6am. On top of that I had several birthday drinks during the day

Happy knitting xx
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 20th Oct 16, 8:08 PM
    • 13,287 Posts
    • 122,636 Thanks
    mardatha
    That sounds lovely plumduff, I can mind once I was in the tearoom in Crianlarich as it went through and wow it looked amazing.Wonder if they offer knitting breaks on it! lol
    • plumduff55
    • By plumduff55 20th Oct 16, 8:41 PM
    • 330 Posts
    • 2,758 Thanks
    plumduff55
    I was thinking I should have taken my knitting and finished the scarf but might have missed some of the beautiful scenery. PRIORITIES !!!

There were many Chinese and American tourists on board the train and it makes you realise we have so many beautiful attractions here and just taken them for granted. This was a late birthday present for mum who was 85 in August and had always wanted to go over Glenfinnan a Viaduct.

We had a brilliant time even if my knitting was at home
    • babyblooz
    • By babyblooz 20th Oct 16, 8:50 PM
    • 1,061 Posts
    • 2,328 Thanks
    babyblooz
    Gruffalo pattern
    Don't know if anyone is interested but there is a pattern for a Gruffalo sweater in this weeks Wo Mans Weekly magazine. Lots of little people like the Gruffalo so I thought it might come in handy.
    please play nicely children !
    • Dustyblinds
    • By Dustyblinds 21st Oct 16, 7:45 AM
    • 210 Posts
    • 356 Thanks
    Dustyblinds
    Hi ladies, I've been asked to knit some socks for the local homeless charity. I can vaguely remember my nana knitting socks when I was younger but I have never made them myself. I've thought about trying before but usually end up making them hats and buying socks, but one of the ladies that organise the outreach says woolly socks are more beneficial for warmth at night. Can I just ask how easy these are to knit? Is it better to use a circular needle or a set of double ended needles? I have no problem with buying either as I will just get them from the charity shop. Also, if anyone can point me in the direction of a free pattern, either Pinterest or google, I did a search and most say they're easy, but I would like a recomendation from anyone that's actually tried them and can say they really are easy
    Many thanks
    • westcoastscot
    • By westcoastscot 21st Oct 16, 8:09 AM
    • 1,261 Posts
    • 15,468 Thanks
    westcoastscot
    Hi Dusty, others will be along later I'm sure, but when knitting for the homeless I usually knit tube socks as they are suitable for lots of different sized feet. Lots of patterns for these on ravelry.
    I prefer 4 pins rather than circulars, but tubes can also be knit on 2 and seamed.
    hth WCS
    • spirit
    • By spirit 21st Oct 16, 8:12 AM
    • 2,457 Posts
    • 5,153 Thanks
    spirit
    Plumduff
    Happy Birthday for yesterday!

I'm currently making some baby things for my nephew's wife - niece in law?

I'm working with Debbie Bliss baby cashmerino. Cash being the operative word! It's not cheap but lovely to work with.

Does anyone else knit with it? I've found loads of shades out of stock in places like loveknitting and woolwarehouse. There's a new John Lewis opened in town yesterday so might nip in tomorrow to see if they have any. Shame though as I like the voile bags the wool comes in from aforementioned suppliers!
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 21st Oct 16, 8:23 AM
    • 13,287 Posts
    • 122,636 Thanks
    mardatha
    Dustyblinds Here is a good absolute beginner sock page with full instructions and pics:
    http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Start.htm
    Also if you're on Facebook then look for Winwick Mum Sockalong group.
    I don't like knitting socks but it's the only thing I knit nowadays since my family inc GK are hooked on handknitted socks. I use DPNS but as WCS says there are also patterns out there for 2 needle socks. I personally hate circular needles but everybody is different. I've not tried tube socks WCS are they a decent fit?
    spirit I love really good wool, the difference in feel and look is well worth it!
    • Dustyblinds
    • By Dustyblinds 21st Oct 16, 9:09 AM
    • 210 Posts
    • 356 Thanks
    Dustyblinds
    Thank you WCS and Mardatha for the quick replies. I'll definitely look into the tube socks. I'm going to take a walk down to the charity shop now to see what needles they have in stock at the moment.
    Thanks again
    • westcoastscot
    • By westcoastscot 21st Oct 16, 3:59 PM
    • 1,261 Posts
    • 15,468 Thanks
    westcoastscot
    Mar tube socks are great for wellies and boots, less great for fitted shoes where you really need a heel. I use a spiral pattern - there's loads on ravelry, and they do cling to your feet and legs well. I think they're probably a better fit than the "wrong" sized ones with heels, iykwim.

Following on from issues with arthritis and knitting, I'm test driving some cubic needles as they're supposed to help. I'm currently on 2mm ones and suspect that it won't make much of a difference with tiny sizes - might try some 3.5's or 4's, see how they are??? Still haven't tried crochet socks but found loads of patterns.
    • twiglet98
    • By twiglet98 21st Oct 16, 11:13 PM
    • 773 Posts
    • 3,734 Thanks
    twiglet98
    Dipping a toe in here tentatively as I'm NOT a knitter... I used to be a knitter, 40-plus years ago, simple knits in one colour and strictly only two needles - pride and joy was a chunky polo-neck jumper for myself, knitted entirely during my commute to work by train. Last time I knitted it was a pair of white mittens on the evening that I was in labour with youngest DD... almost 25 years ago.

Now my eldest DD and SIL are expecting (my first grandchild HURRAH!) and someone at work has lent me a book, Baby + Toddler Knits Made Easy, and there are such gorgeous blankets and toys and little things, I'm looking forward to starting again. I'm not at all sure DD would welcome knitted clothes, but we'll see.

I've found a pair of No 4 needles tucked in a drawer, and nothing else, so I'll be shopping for supplies. Does anyone buy yarn etc online? I can get to all the big supermarkets in a half-day out, and department stores incl J0hn Lew!s in town - is there anywhere the experienced and current knitters particularly recommend to buy, or crucially, to avoid?

I actually still have my very ancient Ladybird book of knitting, and am remembering my first squares knitted as a little girl. I hope it's like riding a bike, and it all comes back quickly with practice!
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 22nd Oct 16, 9:33 AM
    • 13,287 Posts
    • 122,636 Thanks
    mardatha
    Speaking personally I find a far greater choice online, I use Loveknitting.com mostly. John Lewis wool dept has shrunk lol. So many woolshops have closed.
    • lynseydee
    • By lynseydee 22nd Oct 16, 1:32 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 7,243 Thanks
    lynseydee
    Kemps woolshop online is a good place that has previously been mentioned. I have only used them once but found them to be ok.
    Did owe £9,951.96

Now helping hubby pay off loan. Finally paid off

Owe Virgin £5,950.00 at 0% til June 2009 £3,427.89. Owe HSBC £5,460.78 2.9% til May 2010 £3,703.07. Owe Post Office £1,676.62 at 0% til September 2010
    • lynseydee
    • By lynseydee 22nd Oct 16, 1:35 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 7,243 Thanks
    lynseydee
    Hi ladies, I've been asked to knit some socks for the local homeless charity. I can vaguely remember my nana knitting socks when I was younger but I have never made them myself. I've thought about trying before but usually end up making them hats and buying socks, but one of the ladies that organise the outreach says woolly socks are more beneficial for warmth at night. Can I just ask how easy these are to knit? Is it better to use a circular needle or a set of double ended needles? I have no problem with buying either as I will just get them from the charity shop. Also, if anyone can point me in the direction of a free pattern, either Pinterest or google, I did a search and most say they're easy, but I would like a recomendation from anyone that's actually tried them and can say they really are easy
    Many thanks
    Originally posted by Dustyblinds
    Dustyblinds Here is a good absolute beginner sock page with full instructions and pics:
    http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Start.htm
    Also if you're on Facebook then look for Winwick Mum Sockalong group.
    I don't like knitting socks but it's the only thing I knit nowadays since my family inc GK are hooked on handknitted socks. I use DPNS but as WCS says there are also patterns out there for 2 needle socks. I personally hate circular needles but everybody is different. I've not tried tube socks WCS are they a decent fit?
    spirit I love really good wool, the difference in feel and look is well worth it!
    Originally posted by mardatha
    Dustyblinds, I would second the page that mardatha has recommended. I used this pattern when I made socks for the first time and, although I've not followed any other sock pattern, found it to be a really easy pattern to follow.
    Did owe £9,951.96

Now helping hubby pay off loan. Finally paid off

Owe Virgin £5,950.00 at 0% til June 2009 £3,427.89. Owe HSBC £5,460.78 2.9% til May 2010 £3,703.07. Owe Post Office £1,676.62 at 0% til September 2010
    • RicardaRacoon
    • By RicardaRacoon 22nd Oct 16, 1:38 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 3,788 Thanks
    RicardaRacoon
    Afternoon everyone

Feeling very organized at the moment as I wrote down my to do list for the weekend and also added how much I want to knit until Sunday evening :-) Sounds silly but I just have to get myself to knit instead of just pottering about all weekend... If I won't finish the jumper until Mid November it will have to hibernate until I have done all the Christmas pressies and the baby blanket... So I'm knitting as fast as I can. Unfortunatelly the yarn is a bit uneven, so I struggle to get it as neat as somehow possible...

Twiglet, as much as I love a nice yarn shop I often order online as I find it so much easier to find something when you're looking for a specific type of yarn, plus if you need bigger quantities it is more likely to get enough.
    If you want to knit baby things the Nr 4 needles might be a bit big.. Unless you want to knit a very warm jumper in which the baby will not be able to move :-) I would recoment buying a cheap-ish pair of needles and see how you go on with them and if you find you don't like them too much try out a different material.

so, I think I should knit instead of hanging out online :-) Have 1 1/2 hours left do do something before meeting my sister.

Have a nice Saturday eveyone!
    Resolution for 2016 "Live better on less" - Less stuff, less waste, less silly spends but more make do and mend and more fun
    • cheekyweegit
    • By cheekyweegit 23rd Oct 16, 12:37 AM
    • 1,121 Posts
    • 3,271 Thanks
    cheekyweegit
    Hi folks,

Just a quick note for those who buy wool from Hobbycraft, their 3 for 2 on Sidar and Hayfield wools ends today.

Also check your emails if your a member of their loyalty club there is a code for £5 of a £35 spend, £10 off a £50 spend and £15 off a £75 spend.

You can either print the voucher or show your voucher code in store.

Sorry for the late notification, but it's been a while since I dipped in here. I will really miss the wool offer, especially for their aran and bonus chunky wool (then again will probably save a fortune too and will be forced to use some of my stash!)
    • plumduff55
    • By plumduff55 23rd Oct 16, 7:03 AM
    • 330 Posts
    • 2,758 Thanks
    plumduff55
    Hi, I mostly buy my wool from eBay. I'll know which wool I want then I save a search in eBay and whenever that wool is added I get an email. Stack em High is a great eBay shop for wool as the prices and postage is very reasonable.

I also buy wool when I go to the Hobbies exhibition - can't remember the proper name and I go twice a year
    Black Sheep Wools have a stall there and it is absolutely brilliant. The wool is mostly sold in kilo or 500gram bags and they're all lying on the floor. It's like wading through a sea of wool - HEAVEN !!!

The exhibition is on in Glasgow next weekend and I'm going on Friday. I'm not supposed to be buying wool as I'm using my stash BUT my excuse is that it's only on twice a year.

I'm still knitting the red mohair scarf as I've been out and about a lot and too tired when I get home to knit. I'm going to my sons dogsitting till Tuesday so will surely finish the scarf then.

Happy knitting xx
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 23rd Oct 16, 8:20 AM
    • 13,287 Posts
    • 122,636 Thanks
    mardatha
    Is there anything on in Edinburgh like that Plumduff? I'd go if it was good and in Edinburgh. And I never thought of ebay for wool. that's a good idea! I have also used Wee County Yarns after meeting the lovely ladies at a meetup once. They are very reasonably priced. Well the wool is, I dunno about the ladies lol
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,320Posts Today

6,309Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @speirin: @MartinSLewis now thats a blast from the past ???? https://t.co/5cSz1aNWFz

• Have you set the Betamax? Tonight 8pm ITV The Martin Lewis Money Show - if ur married, and/or got kids and/or get tax credits - a must watch

• On my way to @thismorning today "Is a shop telling you porkies" - how to tell your consumer rights from consumer wrongs...

• Follow Martin