Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Littlebean
    The Knitters Thread
    • 1st Oct 07, 5:55 AM
    The Knitters Thread 1st Oct 07 at 5:55 AM
    Following on from the recent thread about handknitting it is apparent that many of us OS'ers are also keen knitters. The idea of this thread is to give us a place to post comments/suggestions, to be able to chat about our current work in progress (WIP), share patterns/tips/tricks, and post pictures of our completed work (I'm nosy and love seeing piccies ).

I'll get the ball rolling: I've now finished knitting the sweater that sparked the original post. Now I've remembered just how much I disliked making up the finished garment -definately the worst part of knitting. I've managed to pick up and knit around the neck and I've done the collar, but now I have to work out how to set in the sleeves - hmmmmmm. Any suggestions/tips would be gratefully received. I've never knitted a sweater with shaped armholes before - having stuck to straight seams - but having splurged on the yarn I really want the finished product to look nice.
Page 436
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 5th Oct 16, 11:52 AM
    • 384 Posts
    • 412 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    I used to knit for DDs dolls house with 1 mm needles and 1 ply yarn . If I dropped a stitch it was a nightmare trying to pick it up again.I had to order the yarn from somewhere in Kent, I think, and the needles had quite sharp points.
    I have a 1mm crochet hook at the ready for any dropped stitches, but it only works with stocking stitch. I bought my wool and needles from a seller at a dolls house fair - but the Buttercup Miniatures webstore have a good range. I'm just building myself up to having a go at at 1930s skirt and jumper....
    Last edited by Silvertabby; 05-10-2016 at 11:54 AM. Reason: add
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 5th Oct 16, 12:01 PM
    • 1,437 Posts
    • 19,285 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Last night I had nearly finished my frogged cardigan again and I thought, I don't think I have enough wool to finish. I measured it again and it is still far too big. I frogged it again and took another 10 stitches out. I hope it will be OK this time.

Yes THIRZAH Stashes are not very MSE. I said I would never build one up again but I have accumulated about 7 large carrier bags full in just over 2 years.
    • plumduff55
    • By plumduff55 9th Oct 16, 9:25 AM
    • 332 Posts
    • 2,782 Thanks
    plumduff55
    Good morning everyone, it's a beautiful, sunny morning here and I am sitting debating whether to go to the car boot or not. I don't need anything but you never know what I could find. I am trying to cut back on my spending so I might be good and stay home but .........

I got a big shock yesterday. There was an item on the news saying about retired people in their early 60ies not being eligible for the full flat rate pension at 66. I thought I was ok as I had made 42 years contributions to NI. Turns out I'm not and will have to pay £3,730 if I want the full pension. A real shock for me as I am subsidising my small pension with my savings.

After finishing the snowman gloves I just couldn't decide what to do next so have been knitting a very lacy mohair mix scarf. It's about 50" at the moment so nearly finished. I may have enough to knit a pair of matching fingerless gloves - that would make a nice Xmas gift.

Happy knitting xx
    SPC 9 Member 045 Total 2016 £624.75
    • Apollonia
    • By Apollonia 9th Oct 16, 12:17 PM
    • 370 Posts
    • 912 Thanks
    Apollonia
    There was an item on the news saying about retired people in their early 60ies not being eligible for the full flat rate pension at 66. I thought I was ok as I had made 42 years contributions to NI.
    Have you checked with HMRC? The new state pension is 35 years of NI contributions. If you have a government gateway user ID you can check your records/pension forecast online.

Have a look at this link - it explains some of the record-keeping problems:
    http://home.bt.com/lifestyle/money/investing-pensions/thousands-could-miss-out-on-state-pension-due-to-missing-records-11364103365151

• plumduff55
    • By plumduff55 9th Oct 16, 2:39 PM
    • 332 Posts
    • 2,782 Thanks
    plumduff55
    Hi Apollonia, I checked with the pensions gateway website yesterday and this is the figures I got from there. I could not understand it as before I decided to retire last year I checked my contributions and was told I had 42 years contributions. Silly me for believing I only needed 35 years of contributions.

Last night I posted on a MSE pensions thread and a very helpful person explained it to me. Because I have a final salary pension I was contracted out which means that although I paid for 42 years I was not paying the full amount as a portion was going into my NHS pension.

If I want the flat rate of pension then I have to pay nearly £4,000 or find a job and pay contributions till I'm 66. I am 60, live frugally and have saved and planned for my retirement. I just feel really angry that the goalposts keep changing xx
    • Apollonia
    • By Apollonia 9th Oct 16, 3:51 PM
    • 370 Posts
    • 912 Thanks
    Apollonia
    I hadn't considered contracted out pensions.

You might find this useful - Royal London Guide to topping up your state pension. The link below takes you to a page where you can download the pdf.

http://www.royallondon.com/about/media/good-with-your-money/

Page 15 of the booklet explains how to choose which 'missing' contributions to top up first for maximum benefit.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 9th Oct 16, 6:04 PM
    • 2,467 Posts
    • 28,594 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    I hope you don't mind me posting on this thread, I used to knit a lot but /I can no longer see well enough to knit properly now so I do more crochet. I find it easier as there is only a few stitches on my hook.

Anyway, I'm on the scrounge, I recently gave away all my stash as I'm downsizing soon, my 5yo DGD has asked me to make her a guinea pig like her own that died a while ago.

To make this I need a small amount of eyelash yarn in black brown and white, I'm happy to pay and to pay postage but I'm reluctant to buy a full ball of each as I know I will just end up wasting some of the yarn.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

Hugs Hester
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 9th Oct 16, 9:12 PM
    • 384 Posts
    • 412 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    I got a big shock yesterday. There was an item on the news saying about retired people in their early 60ies not being eligible for the full flat rate pension at 66. I thought I was ok as I had made 42 years contributions to NI. Turns out I'm not and will have to pay £3,730 if I want the full pension. A real shock for me as I am subsidising my small pension with my savings.
    Plumduff - if you won't get the full £155 per week single tier pension, it's because you must have been in a contracted out occupational pension scheme. The difference between your actual State pension and £155 will be paid as part of your occupational pension. In my case, I have just retired at 60 but, like you. won't get my State pension of £120 approx per week until I'm 66. One way of looking at it is that I am getting £35 per week of what would have been my State pension 6 years early.
    Last edited by Silvertabby; 09-10-2016 at 9:14 PM. Reason: add
    • plumduff55
    • By plumduff55 9th Oct 16, 9:25 PM
    • 332 Posts
    • 2,782 Thanks
    plumduff55
    Hi Hester, sorry but I don't have any of that yarn at all. Hopefully someone else will be along soon and have some oddments.

Thanks again Apollonia for posting the link. Very useful guide - I have read it and it seems I have up to 6 years to pay. But personally, I would be worried that the goalposts will once again change and the government will withdraw the right for me to purchase these additional contributions. I am away all day tomorrow but will phone the pensions advice line on Tuesday and find out exactly what's what.

Funny how knitting the last 15" of the scarf seems to be taking forever.

Happy knitting xx
    • plumduff55
    • By plumduff55 9th Oct 16, 9:36 PM
    • 332 Posts
    • 2,782 Thanks
    plumduff55
    Plumduff - if you won't get the full £155 per week single tier pension, it's because you must have been in a contracted out occupational pension scheme. The difference between your actual State pension and £155 will be paid as part of your occupational pension. In my case, I have just retired at 60 but, like you. won't get my State pension of £120 approx per week until I'm 66. One way of looking at it is that I am getting £35 per week of what would have been my State pension 6 years early.
    Originally posted by Silvertabby
    I'm not understanding this at all. I have just read all letters regarding my state pension and cant find anything about this. I shall phone on Tuesday and find out more. I'm sure there's any explanation xx
    • plumduff55
    • By plumduff55 9th Oct 16, 10:03 PM
    • 332 Posts
    • 2,782 Thanks
    plumduff55
    I'm not thinking about pensions anymore till I phone the pensions advice line on Tuesday BUT I am thinking of Xmas and here's the little snowman I've just finished last week for my niece's wee boy.

Happy knitting xx
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 10th Oct 16, 6:21 AM
    • 2,467 Posts
    • 28,594 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Thanks anyway PD, lovely snowman.

I should have retired 5 years ago, but discovered when I got divorced that my ex and his accountant hadn't paid a full stamp for me for 15 years, so I'm still working.
    • singing bird
    • By singing bird 10th Oct 16, 9:42 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    singing bird
    Innocent Hats
    Can someone please tell me the approximate measurements for the wee Innocent Hats? I have just finished a very simple one but the instructions said they should measure 5-7 cm along the bottom and at least 3 cm high. My one is 5 1/2 cm high and 10 along the bottom (will just add that this I haven't yet sewed it up!). Don't want to do any more till I find out if these sizes are ok.

TIA
    Singing Bird
    • plumduff55
    • By plumduff55 10th Oct 16, 10:32 PM
    • 332 Posts
    • 2,782 Thanks
    plumduff55
    Hi Singing bird, if you go back to post 8698 someone posted pics of these. Why don't you private message them and ask the measurements. I'm sure they would be happy to help you.

How awful for you Hester. Two years ago I intended to work till 66 then stuff happened at work and I went at 60. I was really lucky that MSE had inspired me to pay off mortgage early and have rainy day savings or I could not have financed my retirement to 66.

I've been away to Rothesay today visiting my ds, dd in law and grandchildren who are there for a weeks holiday. Changing train stations in Glasgow I managed to get the perfect red wool for the snowman mitts. My dgd who's 3 found the wool in my bag and is so excited I'm knitting her snowman mitts. I need to get them done soon as she's expecting them next time I see her ⛄️.

Happy knitting xx
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 10th Oct 16, 10:51 PM
    • 14,870 Posts
    • 189,913 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    Singing bird I've just measured one of mine and it's about the sand as yours. Hth
    grocery challenge November budget £400 spent £231.76
    SPC~10 No100 : : X2
    read your books challenge-currently on It started with a kiss
    xstitch challenge 63 'mittens' lyric cushion
    16 in 2016 challenge 12/16 stockings
    2016 wooligan stuff - 86 assorted hats, 9,beadbags 10,hedgehogs
    • singing bird
    • By singing bird 10th Oct 16, 11:20 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    singing bird
    Thank you Plumduff and Mrs M for your help, much appreciated.
    SB
    xx
    • givememoney
    • By givememoney 11th Oct 16, 12:01 PM
    • 932 Posts
    • 1,195 Thanks
    givememoney
    I generally knit cardigans for my 3 year old granddaughter. However, decided I could do with a cardigan for taking away in the caravan. It seems like it is taking forever as I am used to smaller items. Thinking ahead to the band up the front, I was wondering if anyone had crocheted a band instead of knitting one which will be quicker. If you have, how may stitches to the inch do you do?
    • plumduff55
    • By plumduff55 11th Oct 16, 5:51 PM
    • 332 Posts
    • 2,782 Thanks
    plumduff55
    Hi, givememoney, I've never crocheted a button band but as I get fed up knitting the narrow band separately I usely pick up stitches on the front and then you only have to rib 5-7 rows. I pick up the stitches by picking up stitches from 3 rows then omitting a row. I learnt this technique at a knitting class years ago and it always works fine.

Happy knitting xx

PS I work from the centre back and down the button band. When that's done I can work out where I'm putting the buttonholes. Then work buttonhole band from bottom front up to centre back.
    Last edited by plumduff55; 11-10-2016 at 5:55 PM.
    • mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 11th Oct 16, 7:50 PM
    • 751 Posts
    • 2,436 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    Hi knitters,
    Could someone give their opinions. I am knitting DH a Christmas sweater - for Christmas 2014 . Anyway I have done one sleeve and just started the second, and now wonder if I made a mistake. It's knit from the cuff up, and the pattern says that once you have 10cm to increase one stitch either side of the marker every 7th row. So I made the increases, counted that as row 1. Knit 2,3,4,5,6. Then did increases on row 7. Then I started counting again, as if row 7 was row 1, so increased again on row 13. Then again on 19. So essentially I'm increasing every 6 rows, I think? Doh! Would you say per the pattern I should be increasing on row 1,8,15,22 etc?

That said, I better go and carefully count what I did before I undo a whole sleeve. My poor DH really needs his Christmas sweater soon!
    Credit card 0% Highest £6354.82 now £2974 53.2% paid. Pay by Jan 17

Other debts paid since 1/1/14: £10,650
    • plumduff55
    • By plumduff55 11th Oct 16, 8:50 PM
    • 332 Posts
    • 2,782 Thanks
    plumduff55
    Hi mfmaybe, I wouldn't worry about this. As long as you increase to the stated amount of stitches. If you can just do what you did on the first sleeve, but if not don't worry the difference would be so small it won't be noticed. I now have an a5 notebook so that I can jot down all changes I make as I knit. I didn't always do this but everything turned out OK.

Happy knitting xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,895Posts Today

6,035Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just been to @channel4's #bearhunt premier, a beautiful artist reworking BUT be warned, a surprisingly sad end, mini MSE in floods of tears

• Going to a very exciting premier right now... with Mrs and mini MSE, to the screening of "we're going on a bear hunt"

• No. Not a huge fan. Never claimed to be.Just a fan. And one who choose to prioritise family time with his little gi? https://t.co/lZ9uUylk2U

• Follow Martin