Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sheffield_Tiger
    • By Sheffield_Tiger 31st Jan 08, 9:13 PM
    • 45Posts
    • 304Thanks
    Sheffield_Tiger
    Bereavement - Inheriting shares?
    • 31st Jan 08, 9:13 PM
    Bereavement - Inheriting shares? 31st Jan 08 at 9:13 PM
    Help!

What happens to shares when a person dies? In this case, my mother. With a small amount invested in shares in 2 or 3 companies (still finding all the paperwork)

Who do I need to inform? As next of kin with no will but no-one to contest any of the estate.

Or do all these things get transferred after probate is granted?
Page 1
  • tradetime
    • 31st Jan 08, 9:38 PM
    • 31st Jan 08, 9:38 PM
    To the best of my knowledge based on experience of something similar a few years back, the solicitor dealing with probate (assuming there is a solicitor) will liquidate all shares and the monetary value will be calculated into the estate.
    • Sheffield_Tiger
    • By Sheffield_Tiger 31st Jan 08, 10:28 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 304 Thanks
    Sheffield_Tiger
    • 31st Jan 08, 10:28 PM
    • 31st Jan 08, 10:28 PM
    Hmm...trying to do it without solicitors as where it is possible to do anything be it fixing my car or filling in forms, my philosopy is always to do myself what I can and pay others to do it only if it's necessary (therefore my post count on this forum will go up rapidly as I keep asking different questions!)
    • cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 31st Jan 08, 10:36 PM
    • 3,021 Posts
    • 1,613 Thanks
    cloud_dog
    • 31st Jan 08, 10:36 PM
    • 31st Jan 08, 10:36 PM
    Just apply for probate and once you have probate, complete the backs of the share certs (assuming in paper form), send all appropriate info (probate / death certs etc) to the registras of the companies and they will re-register in your name. You can then hold, sell, transfer as you see fit.

cloud_dog
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • MoneyTown
    • 31st Jan 08, 10:37 PM
    • 31st Jan 08, 10:37 PM
    Just going through this now with my mother in-law's estate. DIY is better option if you are confident with the forms.

You need to register the death and then apply for probate:

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/infoabout/civil/probate/index.htm

All assets can be got at after probate is granted.
    • Sheffield_Tiger
    • By Sheffield_Tiger 31st Jan 08, 10:44 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 304 Thanks
    Sheffield_Tiger
    • 31st Jan 08, 10:44 PM
    • 31st Jan 08, 10:44 PM
    Thanks

Applying for probate is on my list for early next week (priority last week was funeral and this week emptying house before the few bad apples on the estate work out it's unoccupied and go "shopping")

So annoying that the Probate Service demand more money from you for DIY'ing than if you use a solicitor - it's as if they are trying to tie you to paying for a solicitor!
  • MoneyTown
    • 31st Jan 08, 10:53 PM
    • 31st Jan 08, 10:53 PM
    Thanks

So annoying that the Probate Service demand more money from you for DIY'ing than if you use a solicitor - it's as if they are trying to tie you to paying for a solicitor!
    Originally posted by Sheffield_Tiger
    Long term the solicitor will cost loads more.
    • cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 31st Jan 08, 10:59 PM
    • 3,021 Posts
    • 1,613 Thanks
    cloud_dog
    • 31st Jan 08, 10:59 PM
    • 31st Jan 08, 10:59 PM
    Thanks

Applying for probate is on my list for early next week (priority last week was funeral and this week emptying house before the few bad apples on the estate work out it's unoccupied and go "shopping")

Just be aware probate can take a (relatively) long time
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • Alfie E
    • 31st Jan 08, 11:08 PM
    • 31st Jan 08, 11:08 PM
    But, there’s more work with a personal applicant. You have to have an appointment with a Commissioner for Oaths from the Probate Registry/Sub-Registry. A solicitor is a Commissioner for Oaths, and I don’t suppose their paperwork gets checked as rigorously.
    古池や蛙飛込む水の音
    • heppy23
    • By heppy23 31st Jan 08, 11:23 PM
    • 477 Posts
    • 246 Thanks
    heppy23
    Just apply for probate and once you have probate, complete the backs of the share certs (assuming in paper form), send all appropriate info (probate / death certs etc) to the registras of the companies and they will re-register in your name. You can then hold, sell, transfer as you see fit.

cloud_dog
    Originally posted by cloud_dog
    I agree. My Dad has still got some shares that belonged to my Grandpa who died 20 years ago.
  • agal
    Help!

What happens to shares when a person dies?
    Exactly the reason I put everything in the wife's name since a) she has no income and b) I expect to die before her
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

425Posts Today

4,540Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @themiltonjones: Bother. Chucked out of Question Time.

• Hmm I meant getting radical in my last tweet - having googled 'getting rad', I may not be in touch with t'lingo... https://t.co/t538UveBuz

• Dimbleby becomes the Dimblebomb and kicks someone out. Question time getting rad #bbqt

• Follow Martin