Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 223
    • mrchagle
    • By mrchagle 15th Jul 16, 11:52 AM
    • 515 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    mrchagle
    Does anyone know if three will ring to offer better ??? As I am joining gift gaff tomorrow.
    Originally posted by farmeruk
    Did Three call you with any better offer?
    If I've help in anyway, please remember to thank me :-)
    • malky39
    • By malky39 17th Jul 16, 9:23 PM
    • 614 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    malky39
    Called 3 today to Cancel I am on 200min ultimated text, data one month contract at £23 a month. They couldn't even match the deals on there own Web site, received my pac and will see if I get a call
    • RavingMad
    • By RavingMad 19th Jul 16, 7:04 AM
    • 406 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    RavingMad
    I had a web chat with them the other day regarding the wife's contract. She was paying £7 pm for 600 mins, unlimited texts and 1gb and over the last couple of months she's been close to her data limit.

At first they offered me 4gb for £16 but when I mentioned a friend was getting 4gb for £9, they quickly offered me the same deal. So 12 months of unlimited mins, texts and 4gb for £9 pm

Hope that's of some use for somebody
    • mrnomoneybags
    • By mrnomoneybags 27th Sep 16, 11:43 AM
    • 550 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    mrnomoneybags
    I just phoned three and they wouldnt budge on a discount from the web price on a simo
    • doubleug
    • By doubleug 6th Oct 16, 9:18 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    doubleug
    My EE sim only for 150 mins /all txts/250g data ( am low user) was costing me £10 a month. 12 month contract just ended)--wife also has same deal--2 smart phones costing £20 a month on one account in toto--grrrreat.
    Saw that Virgin (also piggybacking on EE) was offering the same 150/all txts/250g data for £5 a month.
    Rang to close down EE and switch to Virgin--but EE said they could match what I'd spotted ....so...running two smartphones on low usage(as above) for a total £10 a month has put a nice smile on my fuzz!!
    • NurseMoneySaver1122
    • By NurseMoneySaver1122 14th Oct 16, 3:55 PM
    • 188 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    NurseMoneySaver1122
    Best deals offered with Three's Plans
    Hi all

I'm one of the many people who were on one of Three's old plans and have been/soon to be changed into their new plans.

I have been on the One Plan, however as I haven't upgraded in I think 4 years (I know, not very money saving!), I have been paying £35pm for it, whilst many others paid £15!

I'm finally looking at their new contracts but will be looking to haggle regardless of which I choose. I've read of lots of people saving £7 on their £24pm one month plans (8GB data, unlimited mins & texts, 8GB personal hotspot (tethering).

So I'm just wondering what others have Achieved by haggling?
    • NurseMoneySaver1122
    • By NurseMoneySaver1122 14th Oct 16, 4:21 PM
    • 188 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    NurseMoneySaver1122
    Just to add to that...I'm particularly interested in the £24pm 12 month plan with 30GB data, Unlimited texts and calls, and 30GB tethering.

Has anyone haggled this plan lower?
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 15th Oct 16, 6:55 AM
    • 769 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    I was on the One Plan and ended up with 600 mins, 30 GB for £25/month (12 month contract). They also included 2000 3 to 3 mins.

Personally, the current "special" offer of unlimited mins and 30 GB for £24 looks good to me, especially as we use their Feel at Home a lot too, currently enjoying the Spanish sun on our 5th trip here this year
    • NurseMoneySaver1122
    • By NurseMoneySaver1122 16th Oct 16, 4:20 PM
    • 188 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    NurseMoneySaver1122
    Oh wow so they didn't budge on their plan price with you then (excluding the additional 3 to 3 mins).

I'm also interested in the "special offer" plan. Just toying between that and the next one up (AYCE data for £33). It's just such a big jump, with respect to price, from the "special offer" plan ��

Has anyone achieved anything by haggling??
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 16th Oct 16, 9:14 PM
    • 769 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    I don't think the AYCE data for £33 is worth it compared to the 30GB for £24, I find Three's data very variable, school day mornings it's quite good, but pretty hopeless later in the day. Not many will be able to utilise more than 30 GB each month, and AYCE is limited to 30 GB tethered.
    • leslieknope
    • By leslieknope 10th Mar 17, 2:18 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    leslieknope
    my failed attempt at haggling with three:

called yesterday as i'm looking to get a new phone. i'm on their sim only plan right now and i could stick my sim only for a while longer to be money saving, but i really want a new phone i've been with three for 9 years.

my friend, who i introduced to three 4 years ago, called up in october. they gave her the 128gb iphone 7 with no upfront cost and 30gb data (unlimited mins and texts included) for £51 a month. i know, i know, it's a lot of money. i have always gone with their unlimited data plan because i use my phone a LOT. so i thought i used a lot of data. hoping to get a similar deal to this, i called the renewals team. surely after 9 years of loyal service, despite a lot of previous issues including completely losing a mobile while repairing it and adding a default to my record (it was removed as not my fault!) i would be able to get something similar?

nope. nada. zilch.

they offered me the 32gb iphone 7 with 30gb of data for £47 a month with a £49 upfront cost. i suggested that if they give me the 128gb i would be willing to pay this upfront cost but not for the 32gb when my friend was given the higher phone for nothing! they said they don't offer any better deals no matter how long you're a customer - despite having done this in october. he said that if i wanted the larger phone i should just buy it upfront at the apple store. the manager on webchat said all he could do was offer me £2 a month discount but only if i took out a plan right then.

am i being unreasonable?? i didn't think i was. and their agent telling me just to buy the phone in the apple store if i really want it...

have been looking around. vodafone are offering a sim only plan with 25gb of data for £25 BUT they give you a free premium subscription to spotify. i already pay for this because i do a lot of traveling and love to listen to music so i'm really only paying £15 a month. and as the adviser from three told me i'm only averaging 11-14gb of data a month, looks like i no longer need to stick with three AYCE!

i wonder how long it'll take me to cancel....
    CCCC #33: £42/£240
    DFW: £4355/£4405
    • 19lottie82
    • By 19lottie82 10th Mar 17, 3:12 PM
    • 5,654 Posts
    • 8,605 Thanks
    19lottie82
    Unfortunately just because your friend got a certain deal it doesn't mean you will be offered it too. Generally speaking if you want better value you need to vote with your feet.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 10th Mar 17, 3:24 PM
    • 769 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    my failed attempt at haggling with three:
    <SNIP>
    i wonder how long it'll take me to cancel....
    Originally posted by leslieknope
    Read the small print very carefully when look to move to another deal on a knee jerk reaction. Be wary of buying a phone as part of a mobile contract, you are buying the phone on finance spread over 2 years and it isn't cheap. Compare SIM only with your own separately purchased phone.

I am with Three (SIM only, two 30 day "advanced" contracts) and have been looking around to see what is on offer. There were no offers from Three, other than what you see on their web site. When taking out the SIM only deal, we were given for free 2000 Three to Three minutes as a result of having two contract SIMs, unfortunately they no longer offer this.

Your mileage may vary, but these are my initial findings on looking at other SIM only offerings:

Three have a zero overspend cap on calls and texts you can set, Voda and EE just let you spend. Maybe not a big deal, but I like the cap on Three.

Despite the hype about coverage, in my location Three cover better than Vodafone! Tried it with a PAYG SIM (always a good idea to check with one).

Both Voda and EE have a useful feature on their SIM only contracts that include EU roaming, you can make local calls to land lines and mobiles from your included minutes, as well as calls back to the UK. Three do not include local calls, nor do they include tethering while roaming on "feel at home".

Voda and especially EE, offer proper data when roaming in the EU. Three have up to 12GB of data but it's very variable and in some places simply doesn't even let you pick up the news headlines from the BBC web site.

EE and Vodafone have SIM only deals ending 14th/15th March. Three currently have SIM only deals with no mention of an end date.

Virgin have 30 day SIM only at a good price, but don't include tethering.

We tether a lot and visit Spain several times a year, so EU roaming at no extra cost is quite important to us - in June this year the EU are abolishing roaming charges, so I guess the networks will be increasing their costs to cover it!
    • leslieknope
    • By leslieknope 10th Mar 17, 3:48 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    leslieknope
    Unfortunately just because your friend got a certain deal it doesn't mean you will be offered it too. Generally speaking if you want better value you need to vote with your feet.
    Originally posted by 19lottie82
    i understand that i wouldn't get the exact same deal, but my point is they negotiated with her for a deal both parties were happy with, but refused any such for me. so i will be voting with my feet
    • leslieknope
    • By leslieknope 10th Mar 17, 3:54 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    leslieknope
    Three have a zero overspend cap on calls and texts you can set, Voda and EE just let you spend. Maybe not a big deal, but I like the cap on Three.

Despite the hype about coverage, in my location Three cover better than Vodafone! Tried it with a PAYG SIM (always a good idea to check with one).
    Originally posted by Frozen_up_north
    luckily the coverage in my area is good for all of the big networks - the only reason three won over others was the AYCE data offer, but i've no need for that apparently! will just make sure i connect to wifi more often

the only time i've gone over was when i forgot to turn off my roaming in morocco for an hour - which cost me £20! i didn't even look at a website! never again...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

194Posts Today

1,335Users online

Martin's Twitter