IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Any value for my old hot water tank?
Closed Thread
Views: 49,793
# 1
Afitos
Old 28-01-2008, 6:56 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Question Any value for my old hot water tank?

Hi,

I am sure someone will know the answer to this!

My old hot water tank was taken out today and has gone! Does anyone know if it has a scrap value? It is a 4 foot indirect copper hot water cylinder (according to my OH)

I am guessing that it does as we didn't ask for them to take it out and they are not the best at clearing up!

Many Thanks

Sally
# 2
booty40uk
Old 28-01-2008, 7:19 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi Afitos

It most certainly does have a value. Prices for any scrap metal are through the roof at the moment and the last i heard was that scrap copper was fetching 260.00 per cwt. Get it back from them and take it to your local scrap metal dealer. I would imagine they have already scrapped it though so get the money from them. They have no right to remove it without your permission let alone sell it!!!

Hope that helps

Andy
# 3
weekendwarrior
Old 28-01-2008, 7:22 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I think they fetch about 25 round here
# 4
plumb1
Old 28-01-2008, 7:34 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Send a message via AIM to plumb1

Thats our plumbers BEER MONEY

They might have needed to take it out to carry out their work, if you are have alterations, ie new combi boiler/ upgrade. Otherwise you will have no hot water Miss's.
Ok 25 for a scrap cylinder,dripping sludge, would you want that in the back of your car? cost(petrol) and time of taking it to a scrap yard?

It is a general rule that if you take the scrap you also remove all the rubbish as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to plumb1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Afitos
Old 28-01-2008, 7:58 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks Very Much.

I knew they would be getting something for it. I guess I am more annoyed as the plummer has made a right mess today. We never discussed removing it.

Water right thriough the ceiling and the new plaster and what looks like PVA in the bath which we are keeping as it is new'ish. We don't have any need for the tank now but what is most annoying is that they take what they want. It might well be his beer money but it could of been my wine money!

It could of gone in our car as we have an old banger for this exact reason! Oh and they have been putting their rubbish in my skip!

Well thanks for your help sorry about the rant!

Sally
# 6
gazzak
Old 28-01-2008, 8:02 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

It's worth money. Any copper removed from your house is cash going straight into the plumbers pocket.
# 7
Canucklehead
Old 28-01-2008, 8:11 PM

Good evening: My OH's written, full specification quotations always include the 'removal and disposal of all waste materials associated with the installation'. If the customer prefers to deal with the waste materials his/herself then the quote will be adjusted to reflect this request.

HTH

Canucklehead
Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canucklehead For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Pennylane
Old 28-01-2008, 8:54 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Getting rid of stuff is so important nowadays that you should always ask or look at quotes to see whether workmen remove stuff and what they charge. You should also tell them if there is anything in particular you want to keep.

They also have to be licensed to remove and carry waste materials!! They have to pay quite a bit for this and some people don't want to be involved with this extra paperwork and expense so they prefer customers to dispose of stuff themselves.

I know someone who has just had a new fence and concrete posts fitted and was happy to say they would dispose of the old materials themselves. It took 3 journeys to local tip with chopped up fences in boot of small car. So that was 60 miles in total. A couple of hours breaking, bagging and loading it as well. Personally I'd rather pay someone 20 or whatever and be done!
# 9
looby-loo
Old 28-01-2008, 8:58 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Isn't it surprising how some items are cleared away so quickly?

Don't laugh, but we had an avacado loo and basin which I wanted to keep. I told them this during the quote. They were removed and driven away by 10.30 am. I came home at 4.30 and asked for them back. After long discussion and phone calls they got them back. Next day I had a call from a very cross woman whose house they had been fitted into!!!! She was dialing 1471 on the off chance and got me. She had paid them £120 for the loo and basin to match her bidet. They had started to put them in and then taken them away again. She offered me £150 to get them back again - I said OK so she came and collected them and I threw in a ceramic shower tray to match too (was paddling pool so dug it up quick) but at least this way she was happy and I got my money.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to looby-loo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Pennylane
Old 28-01-2008, 8:58 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Sorry - went off a bit there - Yes, obviously scrap is fetching a lot now! But as someone else said - would you want to be bothered lugging that to a scrap yard?
# 11
pinksleepybear
Old 29-01-2008, 5:06 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

We split the money with our plumber when he took our old water tank, radiators and old copper pipes to the scrap yard.

They should have discussed it with you before taking it, but it sounds as though you have a long list of grievances with your plumber.
# 12
vansboy
Old 29-01-2008, 6:19 PM

We ripped out HUGE quantities of scrap - pics in www.theupsidedownhouse.9f.com - copper included.

The guy who cleared it, got about 120 for this alone, plus whatever the cable & assorted metal was worth.

& even with my moneysaving attitude, it just wasn't worth the effort & journey of around 20miles, the time involved & the potential damage to my car to even consider weighing it in.

Do you REALLY want an old & dirty cylinder, probably containing some rather murky sediment, shoved in the back of yours?

VB
# 13
Afitos
Old 29-01-2008, 7:56 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks everyone,

I guess we have to put it down to experience and hope the plummer enjoys the Beer!
# 14
HugoSP
Old 29-01-2008, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looby-loo View Post

Don't laugh, but we had an avacado loo and basin which I wanted to keep. I told them this during the quote. They were removed and driven away by 10.30 am. I came home at 4.30 and asked for them back. After long discussion and phone calls they got them back. Next day I had a call from a very cross woman whose house they had been fitted into!!!! She was dialing 1471 on the off chance and got me. She had paid them 120 for the loo and basin to match her bidet. They had started to put them in and then taken them away again. She offered me 150 to get them back again - I said OK so she came and collected them and I threw in a ceramic shower tray to match too (was paddling pool so dug it up quick) but at least this way she was happy and I got my money.
WHAT!
Behind every great man is a good woman

Beside this ordinary man is a great woman
2 savings jar - now at 3.42
# 15
HugoSP
Old 29-01-2008, 8:12 PM

This is a favorite subject of mine.

I reach an agreement with my clients that all rubbish will be cleared away unless they agree otherwise.

They are usually quite happy for me to take the scrap if it's worth something to me.

There is a scrap yard about a mile away from my house. If it's small quantities that I remove I store it around my driveway until it starts getting in the way or represents enough to be worth some oik stealing it, then take it up there.

As far as big jobs are concerned I know that some plumbers discount their quotes if they get to keep the scrap, so it's often worth negotiating this with them.
Behind every great man is a good woman

Beside this ordinary man is a great woman
2 savings jar - now at 3.42
# 16
fromredtogreen
Old 30-01-2008, 1:21 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default HW Tank?

Well, if you have a hot water cylinder in Cornwall let me know - I would be happy to buy it from you. I am desperate to find one!

Tony
# 17
lee12
Old 04-08-2009, 2:25 PM
MoneySaving Convert

We toke 1 old tank and a box of old copper pipe to the scrap yard last year and got 79 for the lot !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
# 18
macman
Old 04-08-2009, 3:28 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by looby-loo View Post

Don't laugh, but we had an avacado loo and basin which I wanted to keep. I told them this during the quote. They were removed and driven away by 10.30 am. I came home at 4.30 and asked for them back. After long discussion and phone calls they got them back. Next day I had a call from a very cross woman whose house they had been fitted into!!!! She was dialing 1471 on the off chance and got me. She had paid them 120 for the loo and basin to match her bidet. They had started to put them in and then taken them away again. She offered me 150 to get them back again - I said OK so she came and collected them and I threw in a ceramic shower tray to match too (was paddling pool so dug it up quick) but at least this way she was happy and I got my money.
I wonder if they charged her again for the second install?
Just curious, but what were you going to do with the avocado loo and basin if you kept them?
No free lunch, and no free laptop
# 19
ormus
Old 04-08-2009, 7:27 PM

to be honest, on the price of a complete CH system, the scrap price of the old tank isnt worth all the hassle.
let em have a drink ffs.
Get some gorm.
# 20
vaio
Old 04-08-2009, 11:30 PM

As others have said, on an individual basis it’s more trouble than it’s worth. Most plumbers would collect the copper until they have a van load and then weigh it in
Closed Thread