Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • booty40uk
    • By booty40uk 28th Jan 08, 7:19 PM
    • 492 Posts
    • 290 Thanks
    booty40uk
    • 28th Jan 08, 7:19 PM
    • 28th Jan 08, 7:19 PM
    Hi Afitos

It most certainly does have a value. Prices for any scrap metal are through the roof at the moment and the last i heard was that scrap copper was fetching £260.00 per cwt. Get it back from them and take it to your local scrap metal dealer. I would imagine they have already scrapped it though so get the money from them. They have no right to remove it without your permission let alone sell it!!!

Hope that helps

Andy
  • weekendwarrior
    • 28th Jan 08, 7:22 PM
    • 28th Jan 08, 7:22 PM
    I think they fetch about £25 round here
    • plumb1
    • By plumb1 28th Jan 08, 7:34 PM
    • 2,979 Posts
    • 899 Thanks
    plumb1
    • 28th Jan 08, 7:34 PM
    • 28th Jan 08, 7:34 PM
    Thats our plumbers BEER MONEY

They might have needed to take it out to carry out their work, if you are have alterations, ie new combi boiler/ upgrade. Otherwise you will have no hot water Miss's.
    Ok £25 for a scrap cylinder,dripping sludge, would you want that in the back of your car? cost(petrol) and time of taking it to a scrap yard?

It is a general rule that if you take the scrap you also remove all the rubbish as well.
  • Afitos
    • 28th Jan 08, 7:58 PM
    • 28th Jan 08, 7:58 PM
    Thanks Very Much.

I knew they would be getting something for it. I guess I am more annoyed as the plummer has made a right mess today. We never discussed removing it.

Water right thriough the ceiling and the new plaster and what looks like PVA in the bath which we are keeping as it is new'ish. We don't have any need for the tank now but what is most annoying is that they take what they want. It might well be his beer money but it could of been my wine money!

It could of gone in our car as we have an old banger for this exact reason! Oh and they have been putting their rubbish in my skip!

Well thanks for your help sorry about the rant!

Sally
    • gazzak
    • By gazzak 28th Jan 08, 8:02 PM
    • 420 Posts
    • 555 Thanks
    gazzak
    • 28th Jan 08, 8:02 PM
    • 28th Jan 08, 8:02 PM
    It's worth money. Any copper removed from your house is cash going straight into the plumbers pocket.
    • Canucklehead
    • By Canucklehead 28th Jan 08, 8:11 PM
    • 6,264 Posts
    • 3,371 Thanks
    Canucklehead
    • 28th Jan 08, 8:11 PM
    • 28th Jan 08, 8:11 PM
    Good evening: My OH's written, full specification quotations always include the 'removal and disposal of all waste materials associated with the installation'. If the customer prefers to deal with the waste materials his/herself then the quote will be adjusted to reflect this request.

HTH

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
    • Pennylane
    • By Pennylane 28th Jan 08, 8:54 PM
    • 1,944 Posts
    • 5,344 Thanks
    Pennylane
    • 28th Jan 08, 8:54 PM
    • 28th Jan 08, 8:54 PM
    Getting rid of stuff is so important nowadays that you should always ask or look at quotes to see whether workmen remove stuff and what they charge. You should also tell them if there is anything in particular you want to keep.

They also have to be licensed to remove and carry waste materials!! They have to pay quite a bit for this and some people don't want to be involved with this extra paperwork and expense so they prefer customers to dispose of stuff themselves.

I know someone who has just had a new fence and concrete posts fitted and was happy to say they would dispose of the old materials themselves. It took 3 journeys to local tip with chopped up fences in boot of small car. So that was 60 miles in total. A couple of hours breaking, bagging and loading it as well. Personally I'd rather pay someone £20 or whatever and be done!
  • looby-loo
    • 28th Jan 08, 8:58 PM
    • 28th Jan 08, 8:58 PM
    Isn't it surprising how some items are cleared away so quickly?

Don't laugh, but we had an avacado loo and basin which I wanted to keep. I told them this during the quote. They were removed and driven away by 10.30 am. I came home at 4.30 and asked for them back. After long discussion and phone calls they got them back. Next day I had a call from a very cross woman whose house they had been fitted into!!!! She was dialing 1471 on the off chance and got me. She had paid them £120 for the loo and basin to match her bidet. They had started to put them in and then taken them away again. She offered me £150 to get them back again - I said OK so she came and collected them and I threw in a ceramic shower tray to match too (was paddling pool so dug it up quick) but at least this way she was happy and I got my money.
    • Pennylane
    • By Pennylane 28th Jan 08, 8:58 PM
    • 1,944 Posts
    • 5,344 Thanks
    Pennylane
    Sorry - went off a bit there - Yes, obviously scrap is fetching a lot now! But as someone else said - would you want to be bothered lugging that to a scrap yard?
  • pinksleepybear
    We split the money with our plumber when he took our old water tank, radiators and old copper pipes to the scrap yard.

They should have discussed it with you before taking it, but it sounds as though you have a long list of grievances with your plumber.
    • vansboy
    • By vansboy 29th Jan 08, 6:19 PM
    • 5,564 Posts
    • 3,930 Thanks
    vansboy
    We ripped out HUGE quantities of scrap - pics in www.theupsidedownhouse.9f.com - copper included.

The guy who cleared it, got about £120 for this alone, plus whatever the cable & assorted metal was worth.

& even with my moneysaving attitude, it just wasn't worth the effort & journey of around 20miles, the time involved & the potential damage to my car to even consider weighing it in.

Do you REALLY want an old & dirty cylinder, probably containing some rather murky sediment, shoved in the back of yours?

VB
  • Afitos
    Thanks everyone,

I guess we have to put it down to experience and hope the plummer enjoys the Beer!
    • HugoSP
    • By HugoSP 29th Jan 08, 8:07 PM
    • 2,415 Posts
    • 1,450 Thanks
    HugoSP

Don't laugh, but we had an avacado loo and basin which I wanted to keep. I told them this during the quote. They were removed and driven away by 10.30 am. I came home at 4.30 and asked for them back. After long discussion and phone calls they got them back. Next day I had a call from a very cross woman whose house they had been fitted into!!!! She was dialing 1471 on the off chance and got me. She had paid them £120 for the loo and basin to match her bidet. They had started to put them in and then taken them away again. She offered me £150 to get them back again - I said OK so she came and collected them and I threw in a ceramic shower tray to match too (was paddling pool so dug it up quick) but at least this way she was happy and I got my money.
    Originally posted by looby-loo
    WHAT!
    Behind every great man is a good woman

Beside this ordinary man is a great woman
    £2 savings jar - now at £3.42
    • HugoSP
    • By HugoSP 29th Jan 08, 8:12 PM
    • 2,415 Posts
    • 1,450 Thanks
    HugoSP
    This is a favorite subject of mine.

I reach an agreement with my clients that all rubbish will be cleared away unless they agree otherwise.

They are usually quite happy for me to take the scrap if it's worth something to me.

There is a scrap yard about a mile away from my house. If it's small quantities that I remove I store it around my driveway until it starts getting in the way or represents enough to be worth some oik stealing it, then take it up there.

As far as big jobs are concerned I know that some plumbers discount their quotes if they get to keep the scrap, so it's often worth negotiating this with them.
    Behind every great man is a good woman

Beside this ordinary man is a great woman
    £2 savings jar - now at £3.42
  • fromredtogreen
    HW Tank?
    Well, if you have a hot water cylinder in Cornwall let me know - I would be happy to buy it from you. I am desperate to find one!

Tony
  • lee12
    We toke 1 old tank and a box of old copper pipe to the scrap yard last year and got £79 for the lot !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • macman
    • By macman 4th Aug 09, 3:28 PM
    • 40,036 Posts
    • 16,196 Thanks
    macman

Originally posted by looby-loo
    I wonder if they charged her again for the second install?
    Just curious, but what were you going to do with the avocado loo and basin if you kept them?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
  • ormus
    to be honest, on the price of a complete CH system, the scrap price of the old tank isnt worth all the hassle.
    let em have a drink ffs.
    Get some gorm.
    • vaio
    • By vaio 4th Aug 09, 11:30 PM
    • 11,909 Posts
    • 8,837 Thanks
    vaio
    As others have said, on an individual basis it’s more trouble than it’s worth. Most plumbers would collect the copper until they have a van load and then weigh it in
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

362Posts Today

2,303Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Sainsbury £2.60 prosecco trick problems. We're on it, full updates tomorrow am will go here... https://t.co/ho7332Amg6

• Wishing @andrew_oxlade uber personal finance editor at the Telegraph, best of luck in his new job. Nice working with you Andrew.

• Ive obsessed. I've not missed my 10k daily target since 20 Sept (inc days with food poisoning and a minor op) https://t.co/FNmAXgYU6k

• Follow Martin