Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Budgeting & Bank Accounts > Paying into an RBS account at NatWest (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Paying into an RBS account at NatWest
Closed Thread
Views: 13,565
# 1
RichardJohn
Old 28-01-2008, 4:46 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Paying into an RBS account at NatWest

Is it possible to pay into an RBS account at a NatWest branch?
# 2
advantix
Old 28-01-2008, 8:42 AM
MoneySaving Convert

NO, not yet, because although they are both owned by the same parent, they are seperate entities. Thats like trying to pay into a RBS account from LTSB.

EDIT to say: OK so i was wrong again. Never mind

Last edited by advantix; 29-01-2008 at 9:06 AM.
# 3
amandathepanda
Old 28-01-2008, 5:49 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Yes you can pay in to an RBS account at Natwest. It will take 3 days for the credit to reach your account though. The only restriction for cheques is that any cheque can only be for a maximum of £5000.
The Following User Says Thank You to amandathepanda For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Hazzanet
Old 28-01-2008, 6:21 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Send a message via Skype™ to Hazzanet

Theoretically any bank with access to clearing can accept a credit for any other bank as long as it's accompanied by a pre-printed paying in slip.

Whether the bank in question wishes to take the credit and process it on your behalf is another matter entirely.

Oh and yes, LTSB could take an RBS credit, but I would hazard a guess that it would attract a counter fee for LTSB to process it.

HTH
# 5
natweststaffmember
Old 28-01-2008, 6:25 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Doubly Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Just to add to amanda's informed post. You would need a pre printed paying in slip. NatWest would not accept non RBS Group credits accompanied with a non RBS Group cheque.(that is how fraud can occur)
I have not worked for NatWest Bank since February 2009

This username is no longer active.
The Following User Says Thank You to natweststaffmember For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Hazzanet
Old 28-01-2008, 6:30 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by natweststaffmember View Post
NatWest would not accept non RBS Group credits accompanied with a non RBS Group cheque.(that is how fraud can occur)
The dreaded "triangular" credit
The Following User Says Thank You to Hazzanet For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Scousebird
Old 31-01-2008, 7:49 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

ooooooooooooh-lets not forget tigger triangulars-when some muppet doesn't realise and the chq bounces but credit is already teller posted!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Scousebird For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
borosteve
Old 31-01-2008, 8:04 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardJohn View Post
Is it possible to pay into an RBS account at a NatWest branch?
You may find although it is possible using one of the paying-in slips at the back of your cheque book, you may get a blank look from the odd clerk. I have to do this the other way around about once a month and I have mostly had no problems except one particular branch of RBS near Edinburgh where the lady said I couldn't deposit my cash, then after checking with her manager said they would let me do it but as a one off. I just use a different, more friendly branch now.
You can't go wrong with carpet bombing...
# 9
Hazzanet
Old 01-02-2008, 6:24 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scousebird View Post
ooooooooooooh-lets not forget tigger triangulars-when some muppet doesn't realise and the chq bounces but credit is already teller posted!!
LOL!!!
# 10
natweststaffmember
Old 01-02-2008, 8:15 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Doubly Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

triangular credit is banking jargon for what I explained in long hand. Hazzanet has clearly worked for a bank/or still does.
I have not worked for NatWest Bank since February 2009

This username is no longer active.
# 11
Hazzanet
Old 01-02-2008, 10:18 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Yes NWSM... I used to work for NatWest also.

For those wondering why a bank would not normally accept a "triangular" credit, take the following example (I'm a little rusty, so NWSM might correct me a little):

A Barclays Bank customer pays a NatWest cheque through Lloyds TSB (the triangle being three banks involved).

Generally the credit will show up on the Barclays account a day before the cheque is paid by NatWest, which (technically) leaves LTSB out of pocket for a day. This isn't the end of the world to be honest.

However if the NatWest cheque bounces (a tigger cheque ) it will be returned by NatWest to LTSB (NOT Barclays!) as LTSB were the "Collecting Bank". LTSB then have to contact Barclays to get in to contact with the customer who paid the credit in. Normally by the time this all happens, the money's been spent and LTSB ends up out of pocket - something that they obviously won't be happy about.

As an aside, if you have an account with say, NatWest, and someone gives you a LTSB cheque, you would normally be fine to pay the LTSB cheque into the NatWest account (with a pre-printed paying in slip) over the counter at LTSB without charge...

NWSM - out of interest do NatWest still charge a £5 counter fee for paying an Orange Mobile bill if the person presenting the payment isn't a NatWest customer? I used to really enjoy (not) explaining that although Orange banked with NatWest they hadn't made arrangements to take the bills over the counter in branch 8/

Last edited by Hazzanet; 01-02-2008 at 10:21 PM.
# 12
amandathepanda
Old 02-02-2008, 2:41 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

It's now a £10 fee to pay an orange mobile phone bill if you are a non customer.
The Following User Says Thank You to amandathepanda For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Hazzanet
Old 02-02-2008, 3:23 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandathepanda View Post
It's now a £10 fee to pay an orange mobile phone bill if you are a non customer.
Ouch!
Closed Thread