IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Lost parcel - can I claim?
Closed Thread
Views: 7,052
# 1
Burlesque Babe
Old 24-01-2008, 6:49 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Default Lost parcel - can I claim?

This isn't an Ebay parcel, but I thought this would be a good board to ask as you lovely ebayers would know

I sent a parcel First Class to a friend last Wednesday (another lovely MSE'er! ). It has never arrived. It was securely wrapped in a tin and then in strong plastic packaging. Her address was very clear and I also included mine.

I got a certificate of posting, but didn't ask for it to be recorded/special delivery etc etc.

A week on it obviously isn't going to arrive
Is there any way I can claim anything back?? The postage alone was £6.50!!!

The contents were worth about £12 max.

I'm a bit gutted about it to be honest, never had a parcel go missing before
"Stay Wonky"

Become Mrs Pepe 9 October 2012

Last edited by Burlesque Babe; 24-01-2008 at 7:10 PM.
# 2
charlottevwa
Old 24-01-2008, 6:54 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

You can make a claim from royal mail using just your certificate.. so keep hold of that.
You can calim up to a max of £34... so you will be fine there.. but claims can take about 3 months.. thats not so good :-( and you don't get a postage refund. It isnt classified as lost until 15 days are up, so make your claim after this time.

Custardy may be able to tell you more. I have never had to make a claim.... touch wood... this is just things I have read
The Following User Says Thank You to charlottevwa For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Burlesque Babe
Old 24-01-2008, 7:09 PM

right!

That is really good news, I just presumed that I couldn't as it wasn't signed for in any way.

The only thing I have is the Post Office 'receipt' you get when you ask for a proof of posting. It has time, date, cost, weight, type of parce (first class packet) and then they write the surname and postcode on.

I guess I need to go to the PO for a form of some kind?

I baked her a huge decorated cake that looked like a big Jaffa cake, it took all afternoon as well as some sweets for her son.

I even put 'this way up' all around the packaging so it wouldn't get turned the wrong way up!!
"Stay Wonky"

# 4
SPANIEL36
Old 24-01-2008, 7:12 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

someones sniffed it and swiped it for their pudding

sorry i know that wan't any help at all but my mouth was watering!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to SPANIEL36 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Burlesque Babe
Old 25-01-2008, 9:04 AM

Aaaw Spaniel, where's your avatar gone of your boy?? We could have had a Spaniel page!!!

I know - I wonder if they thought it was a tin of Roses Gits.
"Stay Wonky"

# 6
charlottevwa
Old 25-01-2008, 9:11 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thats a shame, but of course there is still a slight chance it will turn up :confused: If it does turn up, hopefully it isnt too damaged!

Yes you need to pop into the post office and ask for a claim form, and fill that in, and send it back to the royal mail with your post office receipt. Like i said though.. epect to wait 3 months to get your money back... but it's better than nothing at least xx
The Following User Says Thank You to charlottevwa For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Debt_Free_Chick
Old 25-01-2008, 9:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keren29 View Post
I even put 'this way up' all around the packaging so it wouldn't get turned the wrong way up!!
Oh dear - this won't have made any difference at all. It will have been chucked around like every other package/parcel. Parcels are handled by dozens of different people at a number of different offices - and they have hundreds or thousands of parcels to handle. They just want to sort them and pass them on - they don't treat them as "fragile" no matter what you put on the package.

It could still turn up, but I wouldn't hold my breath about it's condition
Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac
The Following User Says Thank You to Debt_Free_Chick For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Burlesque Babe
Old 25-01-2008, 9:19 AM

Cheers all. I don't see much hope of it arriving now - even Parcel Post wouldn't have taken 9 days, so First Class should have been a decent turnaround time.

I'll pop and get a form today and start the process. Like you say charlotte - it's better than nothing.
"Stay Wonky"

The Following User Says Thank You to Burlesque Babe For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
touch*my*food*feel*myfork
Old 25-01-2008, 9:21 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I send lots of parcels through ebay and have had a few lost along the way, the same as charlottevwa your have to wait 15 working days before your can file a claim - post office have the forms and you can take them back to the post office or send them freepost direct to claims department. They are very slow at refunding anything from 2 weeks to 3 months and you usually only get the cost of items, not postage back - although it has been know to get that too.
You will need original receipts etc for goods in parcel to make your claim.
Make sure you keep copies of everything you send them too as they are good at loosing your info too.
2014 wins - £100 john lewis vouchers/frankie and benny breakfast/kitchen aid toaster @ £169/garden hand fork and spade/6 boxes Tyrrells/after eights/cheese

Last edited by touch*my*food*feel*myfork; 25-01-2008 at 9:22 AM. Reason: spelling!
The Following User Says Thank You to touch*my*food*feel*myfork For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Burlesque Babe
Old 25-01-2008, 9:27 AM

right - cheers for that, I'll get the form and then wait 15 working days.
"Stay Wonky"

# 11
SPANIEL36
Old 25-01-2008, 10:45 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Aaaw Spaniel, where's your avatar gone of your boy?? We could have had a Spaniel page!!!

I know - I wonder if they thought it was a tin of Roses Gits.

changed it back ...just for you!!!

i like yours..looks mischeivous!!

The Following User Says Thank You to SPANIEL36 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Debt_Free_Chick
Old 25-01-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPANIEL36 View Post
changed it back ...just for you!!!
Ah yes, the mad-eyed Spaniel.

I've got one of those
# 13
martindow
Old 25-01-2008, 11:15 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

It could be sitting in the delivery office. It is too big to go through a letter box (unless it has received really rough treatment!) so if delivery was attempted a card should have been left. Sometimes this does not happen, the parcel will wait at the office for a week or two and then will be returned to the sender. Worth a phone call.
# 14
Burlesque Babe
Old 25-01-2008, 12:12 PM

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, Spaniel - fab!!! What a lovely boy he is. My boy is very 'intelligent', very funny and really cute to sometimes say all the words he knows in a random order and see his head go further and further over to one side as he takes in 'ball, treat, play, tennis, tug, walk, does ya'!!!! and a bit erm.........feminine for a boy!!! He doesn't half waggle his hips when he walks and he refuses to go any deeper than his shoulders in the water - I don't think he likes getting his ears wet!!

She hasn't had a card left martindow but I'll PM her and suggest giving them a ring.
"Stay Wonky"

# 15
Debt_Free_Chick
Old 25-01-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, Spaniel - fab!!! What a lovely boy he is. My boy is very 'intelligent', very funny and really cute to sometimes say all the words he knows in a random order and see his head go further and further over to one side as he takes in 'ball, treat, play, tennis, tug, walk, does ya'!!!! and a bit erm.........feminine for a boy!!! He doesn't half waggle his hips
Oi - you've got my Spaniel!
The Following User Says Thank You to Debt_Free_Chick For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Burlesque Babe
Old 25-01-2008, 12:40 PM

lol @ DFC!!!

Blimey..........guess what.........I called the local sorting office (Morley) and gave the postcode. He said - hang on, is part of it a Roses tin - YES!!! And lots of This Way Up stickers on it YES!!!!!!!!

Apparently it arrived in the Morley office overnight and went out this morning. 9 DAYS First Class to get from Dorset to Yorkshire!!

The person it has gone to is out (and is still out, her MSE light is off) so I've asked them to send it out to her again, she will now get it in the morning.

So, it has surfaced - cheers martin for the idea of phoning them, although bizarrely if I'd have called before today they wouldn't have even seen it!!

Sadly, I don't know what state the contents will be in even though it is chocolate covered and was in an air tight tin
"Stay Wonky"

The Following User Says Thank You to Burlesque Babe For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
SPANIEL36
Old 26-01-2008, 2:52 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, Spaniel - fab!!! What a lovely boy he is. My boy is very 'intelligent', very funny and really cute to sometimes say all the words he knows in a random order and see his head go further and further over to one side as he takes in 'ball, treat, play, tennis, tug, walk, does ya'!!!! and a bit erm.........feminine for a boy!!! He doesn't half waggle his hips when he walks and he refuses to go any deeper than his shoulders in the water - I don't think he likes getting his ears wet!!

She hasn't had a card left martindow but I'll PM her and suggest giving them a ring.

mine too... he stoops like a lady, never cocked his leg in his life!!!

# 18
SPANIEL36
Old 28-01-2008, 10:30 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

has the missing parcel turned up? safe and sound?

# 19
charlottevwa
Old 28-01-2008, 11:21 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

have the contents gone off?
Closed Thread