Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Savings & Investments > ISAs & Tax-free Savings > CIS UNIT TRUST - Keep it, split it or get rid? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
CIS UNIT TRUST - Keep it, split it or get rid?
Closed Thread
Views: 5,332
# 1
helen_l_winter
Old 23-01-2008, 2:46 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default CIS UNIT TRUST - Keep it, split it or get rid?

I have (had) 7k invested in a CIS Unit Trust ISA. Its been in there since June 05 and only seems to be losing money not making any. In fact its never been worth the 7k since the day it was paid in. I know this is a five year investment but after nearly three years it is now worth nearly 1k less than it was originally.

Should I keep it? Should I take 3k out and put it in a cash mini ISA where it will at least earn some interest? Or should I call it quits and move the whole kit and caboodle elsewhere?

Sorry if this seems like a very basic question but I really don't know what to do about it.:confused:
# 2
Aegis
Old 23-01-2008, 2:53 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

If you're willing to put some time and effort into researching your own investments, I'd personally get in touch with a broker like Hargreaves Lansdown and ask them to transfer across your ISA to them. At that point you could essentially create your own investment portfolio with them, one likely to do better than a single-fund investment such as the one you currently have.

If you transfer across 6k or so, you should probably aim to get about 6 unit trusts or OEICs with 1k in each to ensure that you have a decent amount of diversification.
I am an Independent Financial Adviser
Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
# 3
dunstonh
Old 23-01-2008, 4:51 PM
Mega Magnificent Maxi-Meticulous Uber-MoneySaving Magnate

If you arent willing to spend your own time doing it then get a real financial adviser involved like an IFA. Not the tied salesman from the CIS.

1k per fund is a good option on a small investment.
I am a Financial Adviser. Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
# 4
nnop
Old 29-01-2008, 4:17 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Cis

Hello Helen,

I had a CIS UK Growth ISA and compared to other funds was very dissapointing. Their website was awful and I could never access to check how it was doing. After reading this site. I took the decision to transfer via Hargreaves Lansdown which offered many funds to choose from. The transfer was simple and I decided to split my investment:-

Jupiter UK Growth
JP Morgan Natural Resource
Neptune Russia
Marlborough UK Special Situations

Hopefully, these will perform well for me in the longer term.

Also, their website give a very simple view of how the funds are performing and the option to swap investments.

Just my experience anyway...Good luck!
# 5
Aegis
Old 29-01-2008, 4:46 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

If you've split more or less evenly, you've increased your risk level by making this change. If you're happy with higher volatility and the potential for much larger drops, you should be fine.

Just thought I'd mention it in case you weren't aware of what you'd done.
I am an Independent Financial Adviser
Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
# 6
nnop
Old 30-01-2008, 2:04 PM
MoneySaving Convert

To clarify, my split :-

Jupiter UK Growth 75%
JP Morgan Natural Resource 10%
Neptune Russia 10%
Marlborough UK Special Situations 5%
Closed Thread