Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    helen_l_winter
    CIS UNIT TRUST - Keep it, split it or get rid?
    • 23rd Jan 08, 2:46 PM
    CIS UNIT TRUST - Keep it, split it or get rid? 23rd Jan 08 at 2:46 PM
    I have (had) £7k invested in a CIS Unit Trust ISA. Its been in there since June 05 and only seems to be losing money not making any. In fact its never been worth the £7k since the day it was paid in. I know this is a five year investment but after nearly three years it is now worth nearly £1k less than it was originally.

Should I keep it? Should I take £3k out and put it in a cash mini ISA where it will at least earn some interest? Or should I call it quits and move the whole kit and caboodle elsewhere?

Sorry if this seems like a very basic question but I really don't know what to do about it.:confused:
Page 1
    • Aegis
    • By Aegis 23rd Jan 08, 2:53 PM
    • 4,746 Posts
    • 2,814 Thanks
    Aegis
    • 23rd Jan 08, 2:53 PM
    • 23rd Jan 08, 2:53 PM
    If you're willing to put some time and effort into researching your own investments, I'd personally get in touch with a broker like Hargreaves Lansdown and ask them to transfer across your ISA to them. At that point you could essentially create your own investment portfolio with them, one likely to do better than a single-fund investment such as the one you currently have.

If you transfer across £6k or so, you should probably aim to get about 6 unit trusts or OEICs with £1k in each to ensure that you have a decent amount of diversification.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser
    Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 23rd Jan 08, 4:51 PM
    • 83,212 Posts
    • 48,271 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 23rd Jan 08, 4:51 PM
    • 23rd Jan 08, 4:51 PM
    If you arent willing to spend your own time doing it then get a real financial adviser involved like an IFA. Not the tied salesman from the CIS.

£1k per fund is a good option on a small investment.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
  • nnop
    • 29th Jan 08, 4:17 PM
    Cis
    • 29th Jan 08, 4:17 PM
    Hello Helen,

I had a CIS UK Growth ISA and compared to other funds was very dissapointing. Their website was awful and I could never access to check how it was doing. After reading this site. I took the decision to transfer via Hargreaves Lansdown which offered many funds to choose from. The transfer was simple and I decided to split my investment:-

Jupiter UK Growth
    JP Morgan Natural Resource
    Neptune Russia
    Marlborough UK Special Situations

Hopefully, these will perform well for me in the longer term.

Also, their website give a very simple view of how the funds are performing and the option to swap investments.

Just my experience anyway...Good luck!
    • Aegis
    • By Aegis 29th Jan 08, 4:46 PM
    • 4,746 Posts
    • 2,814 Thanks
    Aegis
    • 29th Jan 08, 4:46 PM
    • 29th Jan 08, 4:46 PM
    If you've split more or less evenly, you've increased your risk level by making this change. If you're happy with higher volatility and the potential for much larger drops, you should be fine.

Just thought I'd mention it in case you weren't aware of what you'd done.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser
    Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
  • nnop
    • 30th Jan 08, 2:04 PM
    • 30th Jan 08, 2:04 PM
    To clarify, my split :-

Jupiter UK Growth 75%
    JP Morgan Natural Resource 10%
    Neptune Russia 10%
    Marlborough UK Special Situations 5%
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,500Posts Today

7,387Users online

Martin's Twitter