Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Credit Cards > Using HSBC Internet Banking to pay off a credit c... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Using HSBC Internet Banking to pay off a credit card
Closed Thread
Views: 22,708
# 1
thriftymanc
Old 20-01-2008, 9:45 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Using HSBC Internet Banking to pay off a credit card

Another dumb question, I do apologise.

I have HSBC internet banking. I want to make a credit card repayment through it. In their 'make a payment' section HSBC give you two options - enter a name, sort code and account number manually, or you can select something off a list.

My credit card (Post Office Mastercard) is listed on there. If I choose that and put my credit card number as the reference will the payment actually go to the right place?! There's no details (like sort code and account number) it literally just says Post Office M/C and then you type in your reference and amount you want to pay.
# 2
sebbelcher
Old 20-01-2008, 10:12 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Not a dumb question! I was always very worried about this, one slip of the finger typing the reference number and your money gets lost in the ether of the CC company's clearing account. I try to avoid paying this way whenever possible, most companies will let you pay by debit card on-line or over the phone, much more sure of the money getting to the right place that way.

I would say use the sort-code and account number from the CC bill, that way you know its going to the right place. Don't forget the Payment Ref!
# 3
juno
Old 20-01-2008, 10:17 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I've used it and it's been fine.

But do be careful the next time you use it! Once I paid my sister's credit card, then a while later wanted to pay my own. It showed past transactions, I went to repay the same one (it looked like it was mine, and I'd forgotten it wasn't!) and accidentally paid off my sister's credit card again. Luckily her statement comes through 2 weeks before mine, and she mentioned the mystery payment to her account. As it was for the same amount and date as my payment I realised what had happened, and managed to pay my credit card in time.

Long boring story, but kinda relevant
Sealed pot challenge #377
Target 125 - 2009 total 117.57
2010 total 151.95

Murphy's No More Pies Club #209
# 4
gt94sss2
Old 20-01-2008, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftymanc View Post
I have HSBC internet banking. I want to make a credit card repayment through it. In their 'make a payment' section HSBC give you two options - enter a name, sort code and account number manually, or you can select something off a list.

My credit card (Post Office Mastercard) is listed on there. If I choose that and put my credit card number as the reference will the payment actually go to the right place?
Yes, it works and I have paid off my own Post Office credit card like that in the past using my HSBC account.

I guess HSBC prefer you to use their 'preset' ones - as it avoids the possibility of its customers mistyping the details.. though like you I do wish HSBC would show the sort/account number the money is going to - as the first time anyone uses their system I imagine they would be a bit nervous if its going to the right place

Regards
Sunil
# 5
YorkshireBoy
Old 20-01-2008, 10:30 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt94sss2 View Post
...the first time anyone uses their system I imagine they would be a bit nervous if its going to the right place
...which is why I always make a test payment (of 1) to any new account. That way, I can test the conduit/time the transfer before making any sizable transfers.
The Following User Says Thank You to YorkshireBoy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
GunJack
Old 20-01-2008, 11:06 PM

Another tick in the box from me for HSBC's system. Been using their internet banking from the start and it's always been fine with the drop-down menus, never had a payment go wrong with it.
......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
# 7
CannyJock
Old 20-01-2008, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkshireBoy View Post
...which is why I always make a test payment (of 1) to any new account. That way, I can test the conduit/time the transfer before making any sizable transfers.
Bah humbug, beat me to it.
"A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five." - Groucho Marx
# 8
Infidel
Old 20-01-2008, 11:57 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Another dumb question, I do apologise.

My credit card (Post Office Mastercard) is listed on there. If I choose that and put my credit card number as the reference will the payment actually go to the right place?! There's no details (like sort code and account number) it literally just says Post Office M/C and then you type in your reference and amount you want to pay.
I was going to make a thread about this. It seems they (HSBC) have made it harder for people to pay off a HSBC credit card from their HSBC current account - by taking off the 'credit card account' from their 'make a payment list'. It used to be there as i used to pay off my credit card that way when i had sufficient funds available. But recently this option mysteriously vanished.
I can only assume that they hope to make more money on credit card interest by making it less simple to pay off.

Last edited by Infidel; 20-01-2008 at 11:59 PM.
# 9
gt94sss2
Old 21-01-2008, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
I was going to make a thread about this. It seems they (HSBC) have made it harder for people to pay off a HSBC credit card from their HSBC current account - by taking off the 'credit card account' from their 'make a payment list'. It used to be there as i used to pay off my credit card that way when i had sufficient funds available. But recently this option mysteriously vanished.
I can only assume that they hope to make more money on credit card interest by making it less simple to pay off.
If I choose 'Make a Payment' and 'Pay a bill or organisation' then I am offered the following options first (as i always have been)?

Cards - HSBC
Cards - Other Mastercards
Cards - Other Visa (A-H)
Cards - Other Visa (I-Z)

Regards
Sunil
# 10
Infidel
Old 21-01-2008, 4:45 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt94sss2 View Post
If I choose 'Make a Payment' and 'Pay a bill or organisation' then I am offered the following options first (as i always have been)?

Cards - HSBC
Cards - Other Mastercards
Cards - Other Visa (A-H)
Cards - Other Visa (I-Z)

Regards
Sunil
Are you asking a question?

Well they changed it on my internet banking.
They now also ask for some mysterious reference number.
# 11
gt94sss2
Old 22-01-2008, 12:31 AM

Quote:
With regards to other payment methods - unfortunately this is the only way I can do it. I've only had one statement so far, and it arrived so late I literally had to run straight down to the nearest Post Office with it to pay off the minimum balance in cash before it was overdue (it arrived through my letterbox at about 5 in the afternoon on the day the payment had to be made, a few minutes before my nearest branch shut for the day!
Have you considered setting up a direct debit with them for either the full or minimum payment amount..?

That reminds me - I haven't used my PO credit card since the 0% period finished - must cancel it one day..

Regards
Sunil
# 12
gt94sss2
Old 22-01-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
Are you asking a question?

Well they changed it on my internet banking.
They now also ask for some mysterious reference number.
Yes - I was just trying to work out what had changed..

The reference number they are asking for - that wouldn't be your card number would it?

Regards
Sunil
Closed Thread