IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
is Aldi any good....
Closed Thread
Views: 5,122
# 1
WOW Factor 0
a66y31
Old 15-01-2008, 12:21 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default is Aldi any good....

was just wondering wat aldi is like for shopping...went to asda the other week and noticed quite alot of stuff has gone up..usually spend 30 ending up spending 50 at asda..so I wasnt happy..:confused:how much are the basics there...bread milk etc thought I would gave them a try
The Following User Says Thank You to a66y31 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
flanno
Old 15-01-2008, 2:54 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Is aldi any good?

Hi a66y31

I use Aldi quite a bit for things like milk, cereals, their crunchy nut corn flakes are the same as Crunchy Nut Corn flakes (Kelloggs) and are only 1.49 (euro) I live in Dublin so prices may vary from the UK. I buy fruit, veg, breads, pittas etc. there. I also buy tinned toms, tikka masala jars, olive oil etc. For 25/30 euro you can get a surprising amount of stuff.

Happy shopping
Flanno
FLANNO Dublin Ireland
The Following User Says Thank You to flanno For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
lilac_lady
Old 15-01-2008, 3:19 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I used Lidl and Aldi when possible. Both have great tinned/frozen/fresh lines. Apart from a few items (personal taste) , you can't tell the difference between their goods and other supermarkets' goods once you've unpacked them.
" The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

The Following User Says Thank You to lilac_lady For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
kethry
Old 15-01-2008, 7:25 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

certain things i just won't buy anywhere else. Aldi's tuna and their chopped plum tomatoes, for example, are just the best (even better than branded, i think, and certainly much cheaper - tuna is 45p a tin, plum toms 21/27p a tin) and we drink their apple and blackcurrant squash - 89p a bottle. I also go for their UHT skimmed milk - 44p a litre - cheese and ham, their cereal, men's deodorant (for OH), toothpaste, dog food, olives, eggs (before i switched to freerange anyway, now i'm switching i have to shop around again!)... oh lord. lots of stuff. I've never had any real problems with quality either, except the occasional thing going off (their packs of peppers are particularly bad for this).

Contrast that to lidl - their chopped tomatoes are watery, and i've returned several things that just broke the first time i used them. I will shop at lidl (their bread flour is good) but its only for specific things. You really do have to try things to find out whether you like them or not. fortunately i have an aldi and a lidl both in walking distance so i just walk up with my trolley when i need to stock up on stuff

as for the basics, if i remember right (cos i don't buy bread) cheap plastic white is around 20-30p a loaf, you can buy a selection of bread there. Milk starts at 44p for UHT stuff, around a pound for fresh stuff. You couldn't do a full shop there i think, you'd still need to go to a bigger supermarket for the stuff they don't do, but you can certainly get a lot there. Perhaps a big shop at the big supermarket (asda) on a montly basis for the stuff aldi doesn't do, then a weekly shop at aldi would work for you?

keth
xx

Last edited by kethry; 15-01-2008 at 7:27 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to kethry For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
EC12345
Old 15-01-2008, 7:29 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi there,

I went to Aldi for the first time last week. I got two cartons of juice which were absolutely lovely and milk.

In fact am going back there this Friday.
Savings targets:

Save 3,500 in 2013: 3,525/3,500 No 042

Cut down on grocery shopping in 2013
The Following User Says Thank You to EC12345 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
kittynortheast
Old 15-01-2008, 7:47 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi, I don't do all my shop at Aldi but it's a case of trying stuff, not everything is cheaper. I always buy:-
- Bread buns they are lovely, nicer than the supermarkets, it may vary but ours in the northeast of Eng are made by Peters bakery pack of buns(6) 55p.
- Ground coffee for filter machines much cheaper and just as nice.
- fresh pizzas 99p lovely.
- cartons of juice, cheaper and much nicer that value stuff
- some of the frozen stuff is great, their 'specially selected' puds in the freezer are lovely and cheaper than 'extra special'.
- continental meats.
- some fruit and veg but not all is better or cheaper, its a case of looking on the day but again you can get good buys on seasonal veg.
I could go on. Go in and try, they also get good offers in TVs, bikes all sorts but sell out really quickly first come first served.
Oh and take some carriers with you, to cut costs and therefore prices you have to buy your carriers and they don't have baskets.
# 7
Pink.
Old 15-01-2008, 7:56 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Hi abby,

As this is more of a shopping thread I've moved it over to the Shop but Don't Drop board.

Martin has written an article on What's Hot and What's Not at Aldi/Lidl/Netto In that article there's a link to the chat forum thread that is still current and should give you some idea of what's worth buying at Aldi.

Pink
Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the In My Home (Includes DIY), I wanna buy-it or do-it, Greenfingered MoneySaving and Old Style MoneySaving boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
# 8
riddlesticks
Old 15-01-2008, 8:44 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi there,

I usually do my full shop at Aldi and I have never had any probs with it. The food is as good quality if not better and some of the things we buy there are nicer than things bought from Asda/Tesco. They do these yoghurts called Mmmmm and they defo are mmmmmmm!

Also just wanted to point out that there prices have gone up recently and I dont find them the cheapest shop anymore. They are probably still cheaper than Asda/ Tesco but I have noticed a big difference in my weekly shop. We decided to try Netto last week and got our full week shop for about 12/15 less than Aldi. They are the cheapest ATM in my opinion and a lot of the stuff there is brand name.
AMxxx
Proud to be dealing with my debt
Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 752
Northern Rock Loan 7500(4yrs 4 months left)
Virgin CC 2559.42 - 0% until Feb 09
# 9
fedupconsumer
Old 15-01-2008, 9:08 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Aldi is super value saved £30-40 of my weekly shop it has a lot of stigma still atached to it as Lidl has but there is nothing wrong with the place. Its also less busy than the normal supermarkets so you dont feel like you are in a cattle market.
Cheeses are good value and have loads of lovely frozen foods. Plus they have the best chocolate out there anyone who shops there knows the one i mean the white chocolate bar.

Go on a recon trip and see if the stuff is ok for you cherry pick a few items and see what they are like .
# 10
eslick
Old 16-01-2008, 8:05 AM

our only problem with the likes of Aldi is that the fruit and veg doesnt last as long as we would expect. We do a weekly shop and from the major supermarkets this isnt a problem but from the likes of Aldi it just doesnt last
# 11
avstar
Old 16-01-2008, 10:58 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslick View Post
our only problem with the likes of Aldi is that the fruit and veg doesnt last as long as we would expect. We do a weekly shop and from the major supermarkets this isnt a problem but from the likes of Aldi it just doesnt last

Ooh def think Tescos fruit & veg is much worse - only lasts a couple of days and I've bought a few things that have been off as soon as I've opened the packets esp tomatoes & potatoes. I've had off meat from tescos as well.
Aldi's fruit & veg isn't bad but Sainsburys is better and seems to last much longer. I shop in lots of supermarkets for different things.
Love Aldi's small tins of tuna with tomato and basil, and their hi-juice blackcurrant.
# 12
purply
Old 16-01-2008, 12:19 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

We have an Aldi in the middle of Manchester town centre amongst all the shops.

I def think its losing its 'stigma'. At lunch time, its packed with people buying their lunch. I like their food-quality is good. Not sure you could do a full shop-depends on what you buy i suppose!

But I'm glad to see it in the city centre.
IMHO,I think its a little bit more upmarket that Lidl and Netto
I wish I was Kate Bush.
# 13
Vangello
Old 16-01-2008, 4:25 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I LOVE Aldi, and can do a weekly shop for all of us (2 adults, 2 children, cat and dog!) for about £40 - £30-£35 if I'm very strict!

As others have said, you can't get everything there - I'd rather stick to one type of coffee and washing powder that I get in town or from another supermarket, but most things are great.

I'm not too sure about the toiletries, as I tend to get ours from Savers or Superdrug but the nappies are ok (although not as good as Tescos!) The washing powder is ok, but not as good as named brands, or Tescos/Asda/Sainsburys own. I found the washing up liquid and toilet cleaner to be quite watery and thin as well. The loo roll is good, as is the kitchen roll and the pet foods are good value.

The fruit & veg from there is fantastic and I'd rather buy from there than anywhere else. The grapes are amazing, and cheaper than other shops. They have an offer on a few types of fruit & veg at the minute - I got a pack of 6 conference pears and 6 kiwis the other day for 39p each. It seems to last longer than usual too (IMO)

The dairy produce is fantastic value, the yoghurts and fromage frais are very cheap (good for us as our kids never stop eating them!) the cheeses are gorgeous and the packet meats are lovely too. The frozen food is v. good quality as well - and you HAVE to try their own brand Baileys!! I think it's called Ballycastle and is about £4 per bottle?

Um...I think that's it! The *only* thing I don't like about Aldi is that it doesn't have the browsing opportunity that the other shops do...so no chance for me to buy clothes or books or housey things (except for the offers on the racks!) But that's a good thing really!!

Hope this helps a bit

ps: I did a post xmas shop there on Monday, first shop since before Xmas so needed almost everything. It came to £65, which is what I would have spent on just the bare essentials elsewhere!
# 14
jammy dodger
Old 18-01-2008, 9:23 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

just found this thread and thought i would add my thoughts I am an aldi convert my shopping bills have reduced drastically and i shop in half the time as there isnt miles of isles to wander..who needs 6 brands of cornflakes to choose from ?? i agree there chopped tinned tomatoes are the best, love their baked beans too rich sauce and plenty beans ..there frozen "romana " pizzas are to die for have won many an award i believe ..i buy their mince hardly any fat in pan after frying , would also recommende bacon gammon cheese for a treat the duck pancakes are well worth a buy ..i could go on but would recoommmend you try it ..my friends say i hsould work as an aldi promoter !!
# 15
janeym8
Old 18-01-2008, 9:38 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

ive been a few times to aldi as i have to travel a bit to get therebut ive found everything ive bought to be good be it frozen stuff,fresh meats,etc but i especially like their pesto in jars-so many different kinds,theirpizzas-even the cheapest ones.ive not bought much fruit and veg from there as when ive gone they dont seem to have much left but what is left is a bit battered and bruised

janey xxx
LIFE IS FOR LIVING-I`VE LEARNT THAT THE HARD WAY
# 16
blush
Old 18-01-2008, 11:38 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I used to use Aldi a few years back when I got divorced then remarried and went back to Asda.However after shopping there tonight and my bill had increased by at least 20 more than usual all I can say is Aldi here I come!
# 17
skyrocket
Old 19-01-2008, 12:22 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I love Aldi!
Their Black Bean sauce in amazing and I have tried the ones from Sainsburys, Tesco, Asda and nothing touches the Aldi one.
I find I prefer Lidl for fruit and veg but either of them are fantastic for chocolates and biccies!
# 18
sundog
Old 19-01-2008, 12:28 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Thumbs up

the only thing i dont like from aldi is their jaffa cakes- everything else is great
# 19
Stompa
Old 19-01-2008, 9:29 AM

I do 95% of my weekly shop there - wouldn't dream of going anywhere else. Cheaper and better quality than Tesco/Sainsburys/Asda etc.
Stompa
# 20
sandieb
Old 19-01-2008, 9:35 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Another vote for Aldi

UHT skimmed milk, tinned tomatoes, vegetables, yogurt, soup, olive oil, toothpaste, shower cream (excellent quality and value), washing powder, tissues, to name but a few things I ONLY buy at Aldi.
Closed Thread