Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Energy > EBICO - EQUIDUAL - how good are they? Please Hel... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
EBICO - EQUIDUAL - how good are they? Please Help
Closed Thread
Views: 9,317
# 1
c0113tt3
Old 14-01-2008, 11:58 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default EBICO - EQUIDUAL - how good are they? Please Help

I am new to this switching lark and never tried it, fear of switching just to find out that the switching / compare sites figures were out of date and / or finding that the new supplier is more expensive.Anyway Im currently with npower and live in yorkshire, I have both fuels with them on standard tariff and prefer to pay when the bill arrives in the post every quarter. I prefer to have a paper bill, and prefer Non - online tariffs.I am considering in switching to ebico - equidual as the prices seem rather good, or are they too good to believe?If you guys could help, it would really be appreciated to get different opinions and confirmations if this would be a wise decision or not.Thanks for your help in advance.
# 2
Cardew
Old 15-01-2008, 9:10 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Welcome to the forum.

If you search on this part of the website you will find literally hundreds of posts about Ebico.

I think almost without exception people like their service, and the simplicity of their tariffs - you pay the same rate regardless of your method of payment(DD, quarterly or pre-pay). You also don't pay extra for the first units each quarter or have a daily standing charge.

They are however far from the cheapest tariff available, unless you have very low consumption and/or are on a pre-pay meter.

For high consumption customers they are consideraby more expensive!
# 3
jimbo_the_jetset
Old 15-01-2008, 9:25 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I live in Yorkshire and I am with Ebi Co. Their customer service is good, they actually use southern electric to manage the customer service. Never had a problem.

I was thinking about switching a while ago as I could get £60 cashback, but most other suppliers have this two tier system which is often confusing. Ebi Co don't tend to change the tariff up and down as much as other suppliers so you know where you stand. (don't know if you see that as good or bad)

I prefer to do my own calculations before switching based on actual yearly consumption rather than relying on comparison websites alone. Currently Uswitch says I could save £17 a year by switching (3 bed, mid terrace, working couple)
# 4
c0113tt3
Old 15-01-2008, 9:56 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks for your replies, really appreciated.I should have posted more information of myself and my partners useage.Generally we use 750 to 900 electricity units per quarter throughout the year, and gas is seasonal, summer / autumn months ranges from 30 to 40 units of gas per quarter, but winter / spring we use 90 to 110 units of gas per quarter. I am not sure if that is a low user or mid user? or even high, although I doubt it being a high user. Our circumstances are that we work the usual 9 to 5 monday to friday, so hardly any gas / electric gets used during that period. Could you guys be of great help and comment if I would be better switching to ebico with those figures / useage and situation?Thanks again for your help.
# 5
Farway
Old 15-01-2008, 6:42 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I have this weeks Ebico bill with me [I'm in Southern area so your figure may differ slightly]

Elect is 10.27 per Kw + VAT
Gas is 2.43 per Kw + VAT

There is a fudge factor built in as Southern computers can't handle nil discount or something, but the difference is only a few pounds, and it is downwards I should stress

From your figure I reckon gas would be cheaper, I use about 580 units PA, and it is cheaper for me, as you use less then guess same would apply to you

Elect you would need to do your own sums regarding your supplier
The Following User Says Thank You to Farway For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Cardew
Old 15-01-2008, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0113tt3 View Post
Thanks for your replies, really appreciated.I should have posted more information of myself and my partners useage.Generally we use 750 to 900 electricity units per quarter throughout the year, and gas is seasonal, summer / autumn months ranges from 30 to 40 units of gas per quarter, but winter / spring we use 90 to 110 units of gas per quarter. I am not sure if that is a low user or mid user? or even high, although I doubt it being a high user. Our circumstances are that we work the usual 9 to 5 monday to friday, so hardly any gas / electric gets used during that period. Could you guys be of great help and comment if I would be better switching to ebico with those figures / useage and situation?Thanks again for your help.
You are about an average user for electricity - the average is 3,300kWh(units) pa.

For gas you need the kWh you use. A unit could be apprx 11kWh if you have a metric meter(measures in cubic metres) or approx 30kWh if you have an Imperial meter.(measures in 100 cubic feet)

Are you sure you only use 240 to 300 units a year? That is low whichever meter you have. (2,600-3,300kWh or 7,200 to 9,000kWh)

You need to enter your postcode in one of the on-line comparison networks and see which is cheapest - use kWh not the price you pay monthly.
# 7
lisap4123
Old 30-03-2008, 9:03 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I have been looking for a new dual fuel supplier. I used some of the internet comparison sites and found that EBICO was not THE cheapest but cheaper than my current supplier – Atlantic, and I like the ethics of the company. The rates I was shown by the 2 comparison sites for them were both the same, and it was the Equidual tariff (2.55 p per unit for gas and 9.64 p per unit for electricity). However with both of these sites I couldn’t directly switch. So I went direct to their website, however I couldn’t find any dual fuel tariff at all on their website and no mention of the Equidual tariff, furthermore the prices quoted for the west mids are higher than on the comparison sites. Why is this? Do they offer the equidual tariff at the rates I was quoted? If not why are they advertised? If they do offer the tariff how is someone to sign up for it if it isn’t accessible from their website and isn’t possible to switch to from the comparison sites?. Any one got any advice or info or some secret squirrel method of signing up to them on the equidual tarriff? Otherwise NPower are showing to be cheapest on all sites and I will just go with them. Thanks in advance
# 8
Cardew
Old 30-03-2008, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisap4123 View Post
I have been looking for a new dual fuel supplier. I used some of the internet comparison sites and found that EBICO was not THE cheapest but cheaper than my current supplier – Atlantic, and I like the ethics of the company. The rates I was shown by the 2 comparison sites for them were both the same, and it was the Equidual tariff (2.55 p per unit for gas and 9.64 p per unit for electricity). However with both of these sites I couldn’t directly switch. So I went direct to their website, however I couldn’t find any dual fuel tariff at all on their website and no mention of the Equidual tariff, furthermore the prices quoted for the west mids are higher than on the comparison sites. Why is this? Do they offer the equidual tariff at the rates I was quoted? If not why are they advertised? If they do offer the tariff how is someone to sign up for it if it isn’t accessible from their website and isn’t possible to switch to from the comparison sites?. Any one got any advice or info or some secret squirrel method of signing up to them on the equidual tarriff? Otherwise NPower are showing to be cheapest on all sites and I will just go with them. Thanks in advance
Ebico prices have just increased(well they do on 01/04/2008) but not all comparison websites have the new Ebico prices, and the prices you give are the old prices.

There are some threads currently running on this subject.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cardew For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
lisap4123
Old 30-03-2008, 11:00 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Ahhhh that would explain it !!
# 10
lisap4123
Old 30-03-2008, 11:01 PM
MoneySaving Convert

What about Npower - does anyone know if their rates are up to date? Whats the point in comparison sites if they dont give up to date info - hardly comparing like for like are they !!?!?!?
# 11
A. Badger
Old 30-03-2008, 11:36 PM

Be very wary of NPower! They are right at the top of my list of worst companies I have ever dealt with - and they are only one where I have had to involve the regulator!

Even if NPower were half the price of someone else, I'd still think twice about dealing with them again.
# 12
icefall
Old 30-03-2008, 11:36 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Be careful with Npower they 'sculpt' their bills, sometimes resulting in you paying more than they say you will.

thread discussing this http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....html?t=786683
I always wanted to be a procrastinator, never got round to it...
# 13
lisap4123
Old 31-03-2008, 12:15 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Hmmmmmm thanks for the advice. think I will avoid N power then. I was already a bit cautious as the offer involves being a customer for 12 months or you dont get the discount. I thought this seemed a little dodgy - if they put the prices up again and are no longer competitive you are either stuck with them or you leave and loose your discount. hmmmmm
# 14
joe2cool
Old 31-03-2008, 1:03 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi with 'atlantic' & thinking of switching to 'ebico' but have read previous threads that they are not the best if you are a high user ? Have you found this true anyone?
Appreciate any comments
# 15
Ken68
Old 31-03-2008, 2:16 PM

It should show up, Joe, in the comparison tables.
Ebico are good for low users , like 10,000kwh Gas p.a. or 2000kwh for electric.
There was a thread about the break even point for Ebico low users.About a month ago.
# 16
joe2cool
Old 31-03-2008, 2:20 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Smile

cheers will do
# 17
lisap4123
Old 01-04-2008, 10:28 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Would you please let me know the link to that threat when you find it? I am currently with atlantic but thinking of switching to Ebico, use about 25000 units gas and 2470 LEC for last year up to now. But have just had double glazing fitted and am currently on a missing to reduce energy consuption - so hoping it will go down by next year. Any advice welcome !!
# 18
Cardew
Old 01-04-2008, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Would you please let me know the link to that threat when you find it? I am currently with atlantic but thinking of switching to Ebico, use about 25000 units gas and 2470 LEC for last year up to now. But have just had double glazing fitted and am currently on a missing to reduce energy consuption - so hoping it will go down by next year. Any advice welcome !!
That thread is now no good because Ebico raised their prices today.

All you have to do is enter those consumption figures(or what you feel they will be next year) into a comparison website and they will give you the results.
# 19
icefall
Old 02-04-2008, 12:39 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Found a very old thread talking about break even point of Ebico. But it is out of date as mentioned above.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...ico+break+even
I always wanted to be a procrastinator, never got round to it...
The Following User Says Thank You to icefall For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
c0113tt3
Old 02-04-2008, 1:41 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
The most usefull link is to ebico themselves, and check the amount gas/elec useage on the calculators.

In general Ebico for the gas, works out one of the cheapest if you are a low user, this could be around 10,000 kwh per year, ie if you were out at work during the week and the heating is not on and you just use your heating for a couple hours a day generally when you are at home, and really did not use hardly any heating at all throughout summer. If you cook with gas and have a boiler with constant hot water all the time then you are likely to be an average user, and if you have a family, have the heating on more, cook with gas and always have constant hot water from a boiler then you are most likely to be mid to heavy user. 20,000 kwh is considered average use per year.

At around 17,500 kwh to 20,000 kwh depending on the company and tarif you are on, is where you may break even with ebico, ie it may not be any cheaper than the company / tariff you are already with.

At around 20,000 kwh plus, the more over this figure you are, the more likely and expensive ebico will become, so if you are a heavy user on the gas, ebico would work out to be expensive. So if you use around 22,000 kwh it may work out to be only slightly more expensive, but if you use 30,000 kwh it would work out to be very expensive.

As for the electricity, you would have to check what the rate is for your area, but you are around just slightly less than an average user, and if the rate is competative for your area it may work out to be cheaper, but if it is not then it may work out to be slightly more expensive..

As for me, I am an average user on the electricity and works out cheaper to be with ebico (around £100 per year than npower for my area as the flat rate with ebico is cheaper than even tier 2 prices with npower, nevermind tier 1) and for the gas as long as I remain a low user around 10,000 to12,000 kwh per year I stand to save around £80 to £100 per year, but the more closer I am to 20,000 kwh the less I save and may just break even with ebico than my current supplier. The figures / savings for myself are with current prices as of 01/04/08.

The link to ebico gas calculator :
http://www.ebico.co.uk/html/g_rates.php

The link to ebico electricity calculator, select your area first.
http://www.ebico.co.uk/html/e_rates.php

Hope the information helps.

Last edited by c0113tt3; 02-04-2008 at 4:09 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to c0113tt3 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread