Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving > Please help 'How much will cost to install gas ce... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Please help 'How much will cost to install gas central heating?'
Views: 262,274
# 1
farhadonly
Old 11-01-2008, 6:13 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Question Please help 'How much will cost to install gas central heating?'

Hi All,
I am going to buy a new house but there is no gas central heating installed. I want to install gas central heating before I move there. I don't know how much it gonna cost me to install gas central heating. There is no gas connection as well. Can anyone please give me a rough idea about the cost of installing central heating ? Also gas connection, are there any fee to pay? Which company would be the best, cheapest where I can pay by monthly installment as I don't have enough cash left.
Please tell me in detail.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
farhadonly
Old 11-01-2008, 6:17 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

My house is 3 bed semi-detached house.
# 3
EliteHeat
Old 11-01-2008, 6:34 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadonly View Post
There is no gas connection
You'd best mention this before arranging for someone to come around to quote you for installing gas central heating. Just a thought.
The Following User Says Thank You to EliteHeat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
LottiePink
Old 11-01-2008, 9:08 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

We've just had it installed. We had to contact National Grid to get the gas connected. It cost something like £500 and meanwhile we got lots of quotes from different Corgi Registered Plumbers. They were all different prices as it depends on your boiler. In the end we went with a middle of the range quote and it was around £2600 in total (although we bought a designer radiator on top of that). We had quotes up to £5000 though.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LottiePink For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
farhadonly
Old 11-01-2008, 9:22 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LottiePink View Post
We've just had it installed. We had to contact National Grid to get the gas connected. It cost something like £500 and meanwhile we got lots of quotes from different Corgi Registered Plumbers. They were all different prices as it depends on your boiler. In the end we went with a middle of the range quote and it was around £2600 in total (although we bought a designer radiator on top of that). We had quotes up to £5000 though.
Can you please tell me which company gave you £2600 quote? Can I pay them by monthly installment?
Thanks.
# 6
salbot
Old 14-01-2008, 4:18 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi, I just had central heating fitted. 10 radiators (4 bed house) and a boiler, including fitting etc. £3900. I had cheaper quotes but went with the company I was most impressed with. I am based in Leeds so the price may vary depending on where you live.

Thanks
Salbot
ps. I don't think you could pay in installments.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to salbot For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
jrrowleyws
Old 14-01-2008, 8:11 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Unlikely you will be able to pay monthly unless you go with a big company and even then they may not like it. Credit card or loan may be an option?

To be honest, grab yourselves a yellow pages and a phone and call some people. Your house may have worse access or better access etc all houses are going to cost different amounts.
# 8
gartshore
Old 14-01-2008, 8:47 PM
MoneySaving Convert

some companies will finance installations but you will pay top price .
# 9
rfem
Old 04-06-2008, 8:48 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi,

I've just had a quote of £4,200 to install gas central heating in my second floor flat. On top of this I would have to pay for the gas connection (about £400) plus more to get the connection from the ground floor to the flat. And then radiators on tops of that. It all seems quite daunting, as the waiting time for the gas connection is about 8 weeks and I can't move until the renovation work, including heating, is completed so in the meantime I'm paying rent as well as a mortgage. I was also quote another £4,200 to get a new combi boiler installed. Any advice on a reasonably priced corgi engineer in the London area, or tips on getting gas central heating and combi boiler installed generally, would be very welcome!
# 10
t_obermory
Old 05-06-2008, 9:46 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadonly View Post
Can you please tell me which company gave you £2600 quote? Can I pay them by monthly installment?
Thanks.
The big companies like British Gas (and I think NPower now) have a monthly payment plan; however by the time you've paid interest etc they'll probably be more expensive than having a local fitter do it.

As you're buying your house could you look at adding the extra say £5k as an arbitrary figure, to the mortgage, or looking at loan/ credit card interest rates in comparison to the companies interest rates. It might not work out cheaper but if you can't pay it all upfront I'd do your research as to which method would be cheapest for you.

HTH's
# 11
ler01kjh
Old 06-05-2009, 8:16 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I need to get a central heating system fitted in a maisonette I'm planning to buy. Would want a combi boiler and probably 5 radiators (bedroom, hallway, bathroom, living room, kitchen). Any ideas how much this could cost?
# 12
Fire Fox
Old 07-05-2009, 12:28 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfem View Post
Hi,

I've just had a quote of £4,200 to install gas central heating in my second floor flat. On top of this I would have to pay for the gas connection (about £400) plus more to get the connection from the ground floor to the flat. And then radiators on tops of that. It all seems quite daunting, as the waiting time for the gas connection is about 8 weeks and I can't move until the renovation work, including heating, is completed so in the meantime I'm paying rent as well as a mortgage. I was also quote another £4,200 to get a new combi boiler installed. Any advice on a reasonably priced corgi engineer in the London area, or tips on getting gas central heating and combi boiler installed generally, would be very welcome!
Is this a leasehold flat? Have you confirmed with the freeholder or managing agents that you are allowed to get a gas connection to the property? Most flats don't have gas for very good reason - if one flat doesn't bother servicing their system the whole lot could go up ...
What a difference a day makes, twenty four little hours.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire Fox For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
alexleeds
Old 10-04-2010, 8:57 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi,I am also based in Leeds and planning to get central heating fitted in my house, can I get detail of your company/supplier who did the work for you please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbot View Post
Hi, I just had central heating fitted. 10 radiators (4 bed house) and a boiler, including fitting etc. £3900. I had cheaper quotes but went with the company I was most impressed with. I am based in Leeds so the price may vary depending on where you live.

Thanks
Salbot
# 14
Ruth_Leeds
Old 30-07-2010, 6:00 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbot View Post

Thanks
Salbot

Who was this with and did they stick to budget/times etc? Looking for a GOOD company in leeds.
Thanks
Ruth
# 15
gas4you
Old 30-07-2010, 8:38 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

If you PM me I can give you the number of a good installer in Leeds.

Without seeing your home, anything up to £5k could be good.

Gas connection will be anything from £600 ish upwards, on top of any quote, depending how far they have to go to get to the gas mains in the street.
# 16
GazHeaven
Old 15-08-2010, 11:13 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gas4you View Post
If you PM me I can give you the number of a good installer in Leeds.

Without seeing your home, anything up to £5k could be good.

Gas connection will be anything from £600 ish upwards, on top of any quote, depending how far they have to go to get to the gas mains in the street.
Hi, is this the minimum price I can expect for installation? There is gas in the street and I'm sure it only about 6 meters on my private land they would have to dig so do I pay the same installation fee as someone having <=40m? like it says on the National Grid website. Also worth noting I am in North Wales nr Chester.
Thanks for your time...
# 17
alienzdive
Old 15-08-2010, 11:37 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Recent News Video, boiler installation

Just incased you missed it, Home Plumbing and heating has a recent news article about the costs of boiler installations.
# 18
gas4you
Old 16-08-2010, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazHeaven View Post
Hi, is this the minimum price I can expect for installation? There is gas in the street and I'm sure it only about 6 meters on my private land they would have to dig so do I pay the same installation fee as someone having <=40m? like it says on the National Grid website. Also worth noting I am in North Wales nr Chester.
Thanks for your time...

Impossible to say if this is the minimum price you could be quoted or not.

Those figures were just a fair approximation for the other poster.

Prices vary by many different factors, including what area of the counrty you compare.
# 19
farrebri
Old 04-07-2011, 11:02 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Liverpool Recomendations

Hi All,

I need to get my parents gas central heating changed out. They have a boiler in the back bedroom and looking to get a new combi boiler moved into the Kitchen.

Any advice or local firms to recommend?

Thanks

Brian
# 20
Leif
Old 04-07-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrebri View Post
Hi All,

I need to get my parents gas central heating changed out. They have a boiler in the back bedroom and looking to get a new combi boiler moved into the Kitchen.

Any advice or local firms to recommend?

Thanks

Brian
Since you do not give location no-one can recommend a local firm. Look in CheckATrade, that is one source of reliable firms.

You'll have to pay to have the old boiler and hot water tank removed, and a new combi fitted, along with pipe rework. You'll also have to move the gas line and point. Ring 3 or 4 people and get quotes, some will give a rough estimate over the phone, a visit will be more accurate. You'll have to make sure the combi is powerful enough for your needs i.e. radiators and bathrooms.