Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Benefits & Tax Credits > Advice on filling in Form for DLA please (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Advice on filling in Form for DLA please
Closed Thread
Views: 27,880
# 1
Careful with that Axe
Old 10-01-2008, 2:22 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Question Advice on filling in Form for DLA please

I have a very complex medical condition where I have constant pain, mobility problems and am unable to carry out any "normal" tasks, i.e. shopping, housework, preparing meals and have been advised I may be eligible for DLA. I live alone and currently get great support from my Father, but he's in his 80's and I don't want him to have to continue to near the burden of my care

I have attempted to fill in the paper form, but cannot write for long enough - similar problem with on-line form. I also want to maximise my chances of succeeding in claiming and am unsure where to go for help with this.

I know Help The Aged have previously offered this service, but I'm only in my 40's even thought I feel and look aged!!

Any advice would really be welcomed please, but be gentle with me as I'm a virgin Poster although have been viewing site for ages.
The Following User Says Thank You to Careful with that Axe For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
mary43
Old 10-01-2008, 2:28 PM

If you can get to a CAB office theyre very good at helping with these sort of things.
Only advice I can really give is that if you do manage to complete it yourself do it as if every day was a really bad day for you. Also, if they refuse you at first, ask them to review it. Sometimes this can make a difference to their decision.
Good luck. I've had to do one myself in the past and they're not the easiest of forms.
# 3
wornoutmumoftwo
Old 10-01-2008, 2:30 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

A friend of mine was applying for her child and the social worker filled the entire form out.
Payment a day challenge: 236.69
Jan Shopping Challenge: 202.09/250
Frugal Living Challenge: 534.64/15000
# 4
hm71
Old 10-01-2008, 2:38 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

you can save online applications and go back to them if that helps- the best way to fill it in is to be honest- don't hold back- my friends mum a very proud woman didn't tell them a lot of her probs as "she didn't think it was important" so was not awarded. when the CAB helped her filling in all the facts she was accepted. so best advise be honest about everything regardless of how irrelevant you think it is.
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

FEB challenge 128/270 balance 142
2 saving club 60
# 5
wornoutmumoftwo
Old 10-01-2008, 2:44 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I've just filled in mine for my son (5) as he has Autistic spectrum disorder, and one of the things I was told is to not be positive about anything, write down all your worse case scenarios, and if it fails apeal.

There is a thread on here somewhere about DLA going to go find it now as the experts are on there. No, it was the Autistic spectrum theard I was thinking about sorry.

Last edited by wornoutmumoftwo; 10-01-2008 at 2:48 PM.
# 6
Poppycat
Old 10-01-2008, 3:02 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

We went to the local disability action group (DAG) for help in filling in DLA after being turned down twice before in 2 separate applications

# 7
Careful with that Axe
Old 10-01-2008, 4:47 PM

Many thanks for the advice so far - very useful. I do find it difficult to focus solely on the negative as it get's quite depressing when you immerse yourself in it! Had a medical yesterday for IB and, although doc was really sympathetic and understood the depth of my problems, it takes its toll on me emotionally as I try so hard not to adopt a "victim" mentality. Doc was brilliant though pointing out that even though I said I managed to wash my hair with difficulty that actually I couldn't do it and that he was going to put that down! Hope that gives something positive to those worrying about medicals for IB.
wornoutmumoftwo - I feel for you. My Nephew is at the severe end of the Autistic Spectrum so I have some knoweledge of how difficult it can be for Mums in this situation.
I must go, I have lives to ruin and hearts to break

My attitude depends on my Latitude 49 55' 0" N 6 19' 60 W
The Following User Says Thank You to Careful with that Axe For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
cattie
Old 10-01-2008, 7:10 PM

As far as DWP & claiming dla is concerned, housework is not one of the criteria for claiming & shopping isn't considered that important so don't focus too much on not being able to do these things & needing help with them.

Spend more time on your actual care & mobility needs & mention the shopping in the section where it asks what you would do if you had the help you needed, along with other things you'd like to be able to do with help.
The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
The Following User Says Thank You to cattie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
spendaholicleo
Old 10-01-2008, 7:17 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thumbs up dla form

Hi
I work for the jobcentre and the best thing when you are filling in this form is to complete it with the feelings of when you are at your worst and not being a martyr that you can do things......writing down almost everything..there was a time when the staff at the jobcentre could help and I was the queen of filling them in...unfortunately this is not the case now but Social Services or make an appt to see the Disability Employment Adviser at the job centre.......they are fab and can signpost you to all sorts of helpful people.....good luckx
The Following User Says Thank You to spendaholicleo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
seggy1
Old 10-01-2008, 7:27 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default form filling

hello we have a wefare rights dept in great yarmouth there are brilliant good luck never try to fill these forms out yourself to complicated for the average person arthur
# 11
Poppycat
Old 11-01-2008, 1:50 AM

When we were assessed in Dec 2007 for an appeal we were asked how the disability effects our daughter. TBH I forgot just how extensive it is sometimes

IE she has difficulty walking, balance, swallowing, gripping items.

Perhaps its best making a list of how the disability effects you before writing it all down.

# 12
Careful with that Axe
Old 12-01-2008, 11:02 AM

Many thanks to all for the advice. It's given me a few options of resources for help. Very grateful.

# 13
mikewebs
Old 12-01-2008, 11:44 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

As an aside, could I suggest you get hold of the book 'Coping with Pain' by Neville Shone - it is really good and makes you realise that depression etc are normal parts of chronic pain and should not be treated lightly. Also ask your doctor if you can be referred to a local Chronic Pain Management group - I went and got so much out of it - I realised that I wasn't going mad and it made me look how pain affects me and my family and, more importantly, what I could do to take control of the pain! Honestly, it really makes a huge difference to how you deal with life!
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
The Following User Says Thank You to mikewebs For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
LuciferTDark
Old 12-01-2008, 11:47 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

When I had to fill one out for the missus I took it to the CAB & they filled it in for me as I didn't have a clue what to do with it. Those people are stars.
Winnings
01/12/07 Baileys Cocktail Shaker

My other signature is in English.
# 15
alwaysonthego
Old 12-01-2008, 12:34 PM

I volunteer at the CAB and have helped client fill out these forms. I usually can see the questions in a way that the client hasn't thought of. The form is really hypothetical and needs to be filled out in such way. You need to fill out the worst days you have. The cooking test is the major one and is based on the preparation of food, whether you can manage to cook a meal i.e cutting veg, lifting heavy pans. Are you at risk of falling /passing out whilst stood up for long periods and you can relate this to cooking.

When it asks about night time care, are you at risk of falling whilst going to the toilet. You really need to think about the worst case scenarios
I'm a Board Guide on the Benefits & Tax Credits, Food Shopping & Groceries, Freebies (no spend required), Health & Fitness, Marriage, Relationships & Families, Music MoneySaving, Special Occasions & Other Celebrations boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. However, please remember board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this).
The Following User Says Thank You to alwaysonthego For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
wornoutmumoftwo
Old 12-01-2008, 6:25 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Just remembered something, when I got my form I whizzed through it and in each section they suggest examples, i.e walking, they would say can not walk/in pain when walking/will only walk so far etc etc,

anyway, I just went thorught the entire form and circled the example that related to my son, then I took my time to fill each section in. I have no physical problems and I took the fulltime allowed to ensure I didn't rush and so I could add to bits. I prefered the paper version as I could just add snipets when I remembered.

Yes it's horrible being negative when we strive to be postitive whatever our problems, but it's a means to an end.

My son isn't diagnosed with Autistic spectrum disorder because I refused to allow it at such a young age (5), but they recognised it at 3, he gets all the care he needs anyway as we live in a small town, he has been held back a year from starting school and attends a special school part time and he is improving (not that I told the dla that!)

My other son has global delay and is asthmatic so i'm applying for him too. Actually I find him harder to deal with then the one with suspected ASD?

I wish you all the best, do let us know how you get on.
The Following User Says Thank You to wornoutmumoftwo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
James123
Old 17-01-2008, 8:22 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I successfully applied for DLA - first time around. Here is a LINK which was by far THE most useful resource in giving added information on the way in which to approach this.
http://www.benefitsnow.co.uk/dmakers/default.asp
Good Luck!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to James123 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
Careful with that Axe
Old 17-01-2008, 8:47 PM

What a wonderful resource site. Thank you so much!

# 19
Poppycat
Old 18-01-2008, 12:32 AM

As we got a settlement last week and fighting to have it fully backdated we also had to contact tax office for tax credits. If you do get it you may be entitled to a lower band in council tax, and even a free bus pass (our council provides that) and or not have to pay for road tax if on higher rate as long as the car is used for the person who is entitled to mobility at higher rate or use the dla for a mobility car/scooter assuming you get the higher rate.

The Following User Says Thank You to Poppycat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
James123
Old 18-01-2008, 8:44 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi there Poppycat!
You mention TAX CREDITS in your last post. Perhaps you can then answer something relating to my own claim. I know that DLA is not considered to be income for tax purposes. However, are the TAX CREDITS folk interested in this, do you know? In other words, does this award count as income in respect of how much child tax credit I'm awarded? I had assumed it was discounted on all counts.
Closed Thread