Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Citroen C3 screen washer problems (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Citroen C3 screen washer problems
Closed Thread
Views: 19,109
# 1
Lelc
Old 10-01-2008, 1:30 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Citroen C3 screen washer problems

I really hope someone can answer this for me.

I've had no washers working since before Christmas. I think it's possibly the fuse that's blown however, try as I might, I cannot get the clip to undo on the fuse box. Does anyone know if there's a special tool for taking it off as I've tried just about everything to get into it. I'm really reluctant to take it into a garage just for a simple fuse replacement.

Many thanks in advance.

LC
Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts - DFW Nerd 323
Debt free date - January 2012
Mortgage free date - November 2013
Cross stitch cafe challenge member no 16
# 2
Inactive
Old 10-01-2008, 3:58 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Doubly Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

It may well be more than a fuse, how you can drive safely in January without any screen washers is beyond my comprehension.

Get them fixed before you have a serious accident.:rolleyes:
# 3
Lelc
Old 10-01-2008, 4:39 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive View Post
It may well be more than a fuse, how you can drive safely in January without any screen washers is beyond my comprehension.

Get them fixed before you have a serious accident.:rolleyes:
Thanks for your help:rolleyes: Given the short distances I drive and the rain - it's not been a problem!!!!!!!!!! The nearest garage is 40 miles away so I would have to drive even further to have it repaired. I'd use my dh's car for that kind of journey.
# 4
goldspanners
Old 10-01-2008, 5:49 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

there is water in the reservoir isnt there?
...work permit granted!
# 5
Pew Pew Pew Lasers!
Old 11-01-2008, 12:23 PM

Do you hear the washer motor whirring? If so, lift the bonnet and check to see if there is a dribble of water from the washer heads on the bonnet. Frozen water can often pop the pipes off the washer heads.
# 6
Lelc
Old 11-01-2008, 1:58 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pew Pew Pew Lasers! View Post
Do you hear the washer motor whirring? If so, lift the bonnet and check to see if there is a dribble of water from the washer heads on the bonnet. Frozen water can often pop the pipes off the washer heads.
Many thanks for your help and sensible suggestion. No there was no sound from the motor.

Finally, with the help of a friend and after removing all sorts of bits and pieces and a few 'tools' we managed to get the top off and change the fuse. Voila! working washers!!
# 7
iulian
Old 27-11-2008, 10:07 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Lelc, what is the position of the fuse responsible for the screen washers? I have a similar problem and I think it has the same answer.

Help!
# 8
glenandemm
Old 27-11-2008, 10:44 AM
MoneySaving Convert

hi guys just reading this thread,i used to work for citroen and one of the reasons why the fuse blows is because the water freezes up in the bottle due to not enough screen wash mixed with water to stop it freezing which then stops the motor from turning which blows the fuse,make sure your screen wash is well topped up,also i noticed you said its a c3,theres a common problem on these where water leaks out of the water jet connection under the bonnet and drips onto the injector on the petrol engines and corrodes the end injector connection and stops it working,make sure the water pipe under the bonnet isnt leaking down onto the drivers side of the engine onto the injector,when they eventually go its 100 for a new injector,just a tip to make sure its not leaking
The Following User Says Thank You to glenandemm For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
iulian
Old 03-12-2008, 10:19 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

In my case, the fuse under the bonnet was the problem.
# 10
Buzz Bubblegum
Old 04-02-2009, 1:31 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Citroen C3 Washer Fuse

Apparently do not attempt to use the washers when they're likely to be frozen because the minute you do the fuse will blow. Difficult to know when they are ready to wash and of course if you forget and twist the lever for the back washer and it's already on then that's it blown it! Never known this on any previous cars but there you go. I'm on my second fuse since Christmas and the local (Luton, Beds) Citroen Service Centre will fit free of charge with the fuse costing 1.00. I would try and fit myself but it looks a bit complicated for a blonde! I'm going to put in a tad more washer wash than normal.
# 11
Quietmanc
Old 04-02-2009, 6:07 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Had the same thing with OH's C3.It just happens to be one of the most awkward fuses to get to.It's a 10A mini blade fuse BTW in case you want to stash a few spares.
# 12
pencil1020
Old 25-09-2009, 9:22 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

2004 c3 windscreen washer does not work - however - it does when the bonnet is up!!! [car stopped ]- can anyone give me a clue as to why this is please?
# 13
oldagetraveller
Old 25-09-2009, 9:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencil1020 View Post
2004 c3 windscreen washer does not work - however - it does when the bonnet is up!!! [car stopped ]- can anyone give me a clue as to why this is please?
A massive outside guess but could the bonnet be trapping the feed pipe from the pump when it's closed? Does the rear screen wash work correctly with the bonnet up?
The Conservative Party is a bit like double cream. Rich, thick and full of clots!
# 14
hewhoisnotintheknow
Old 25-09-2009, 10:52 AM

as suggested see if the tube is being trapped

also is there enough water in the tank, it might be sloshing to the back when the car is moving, but settling when the car is still
# 15
warehouse
Old 18-01-2010, 3:33 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone. My C3 washer stopped working last week, (obviously frozen and I blew the fuse when i tried to use it). Replaced fuse no. 14 today with another 10 amp one, and will keep a few spare in the car just in case .
Pants
# 16
Lindz Delirium
Old 18-01-2010, 4:45 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I have a C3 with the same problem, but mine wasn't a fuse it was a burnt out motor! 157!!!!
# 17
chapel house
Old 17-12-2010, 3:44 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I have just come back from the garage for a second time in 4 days due to my screen wash not working, Apparently you cant use it until your car is completely warmed up other wise the fuse blows. But the guy at the garage has said that the water holder isnt at the side of the hot engine anymore but is placed right at the bottom of the car were it takes ages to defrost( if it is frozen) so after driving for about half an hour obviously my screen needed washing so i tried to use the screen wash and blew the fuse!!!! which is so dangerous if you cant wash the screen as you drive. Does anyone know how long it takes to warm the screen wash up, or who to complain to. many thanks
# 18
thescouselander
Old 17-12-2010, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapel house View Post
I have just come back from the garage for a second time in 4 days due to my screen wash not working, Apparently you cant use it until your car is completely warmed up other wise the fuse blows. But the guy at the garage has said that the water holder isnt at the side of the hot engine anymore but is placed right at the bottom of the car were it takes ages to defrost( if it is frozen) so after driving for about half an hour obviously my screen needed washing so i tried to use the screen wash and blew the fuse!!!! which is so dangerous if you cant wash the screen as you drive. Does anyone know how long it takes to warm the screen wash up, or who to complain to. many thanks
What you need to to is increase the concentration of screen-wash in the washer bottle and that way it wont freeze in the cold.
The Following User Says Thank You to thescouselander For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
Inactive
Old 17-12-2010, 3:50 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Doubly Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapel house View Post
Put some decent non diluted screenwash in to your vehicle, mine is good down to -40.

I am surprised that the garage did not advise you better.
The Following User Says Thank You to Inactive For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
bryanb
Old 17-12-2010, 3:53 PM

Carry a wash up liquid bottle full of screenwash in freezing conditions. You will have to stop but at least you can clean it.
This is an open forum, anyone can post and I just did !
The Following User Says Thank You to bryanb For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread