Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 2
  • just_mini_mad
    Morphy Richards Kettle - water tastes awful
    Can anyone help? Bought this kettle new a couple of months ago and our water tasted absolutely foul when the kettle was boiled. It has a metallic taste. We have tried everything to get rid of the taste and it's not our water cos we are using another kettle and it's fine. On holiday our apartment also had MR kettle and again the water tasted foul.

Does anyone know how to get rid of this taste before I throw this awful kettle into the bin? Can't return it as it was a gift.

Many thanks
    Kate
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 27th Oct 08, 1:52 PM
    • 17,527 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi just_mini_mad,

There's an earlier thread with some ideas that may help so I've added your thread to it to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
  • digp
    how about where the water from the tap tastes odd. even filtering it using a brita filter, but that just changes the taste.....
  • Fire Fox
    how about where the water from the tap tastes odd. even filtering it using a brita filter, but that just changes the taste.....
    Originally posted by digp
    Maybe it's you? Seriously some medical conditions and medications can give you a funny taste in your mouth: if it's subtle you might only notice with plain water. Or do other people notice it from your house/ tap too? If so could be the pipes?
    What a difference a day makes, twenty four little hours.
  • digp
    others notice it too! can anything be done about the pipes?
  • Fire Fox
    others notice it too! can anything be done about the pipes?
    Get a trusted plumber in to replace them. I say trusted as you want someone to be honest about whether this will actually make a difference, since it may be the pipes need replacing outside as well as in the kitchen which is a mega-job.
    What a difference a day makes, twenty four little hours.
    • Butterfly Brain
    • By Butterfly Brain 6th Sep 09, 12:48 PM
    • 8,473 Posts
    • 58,754 Thanks
    Butterfly Brain
    I agree with bicarb or try boiling some in the kettle - empty - boil fresh water - empty and repeat if necessary
  • skiTTish
    We bought our kettle over a year ago and had the same problen ,the water tasted of plastic even though it had no plastic parts .
    We have found that if we only boil the water once and discard all the water left ,instead of 'topping up' the next time we boiled it ,then it is ok .
  • digp
    Get a trusted plumber in to replace them. I say trusted as you want someone to be honest about whether this will actually make a difference, since it may be the pipes need replacing outside as well as in the kitchen which is a mega-job.
    Originally posted by Fire Fox

Are the pipes outside the responsibility of the water company?
  • skiTTish
    Are the pipes outside the responsibility of the water company?
    Only after they join the mains supply
  • JackieO
    Theres nothing worse than 'breaking in a new kettle ' I too hate the plastic taste so invested in a stainless steel one.Bit dearer but well worth the extra.I have a plastic one tucked away in a cupboard for emergencies but I treated it with soda bicarb before I put it away It was one we bought a couple of years ago whilst on holiday as the caravan kettle had blown up
    Ist September, new month, new budget,
    60.00 for the next 30 days in my food purse Spending as little as possible this month and using up existing stocks and stores
  • emum
    funny taste from kettle
    I went into this post after googling to see if anyone else had the same problem as me with a strange tasting cup of tea from a new kettle.
    Our old kettle was fine but eventually leaked. We bought a Breville. Nice kettle but there was a very strange taste when water was boiled in it. We rinsed it out lots and gave it a good week for the strange taste to go, but it didn't. We reluctantly had to return the kettle.
    We then bought a John Lewis make "bullet" kettle which cost almost 40. Same problem - and we've used it now for a week and the taste is still there. It's OK with the first cup of tea but if you top up the cup with more water from the kettle there is always a horrible taste. We'll have to return this one too - don't want to be drinking something that's obviously not good.
    We are going to try the Morphy Richards Black Opera kettle next as it has had good reviews and no one has mentioned a funny taste. Here's hoping.
  • emum
    Funny tasting water from kettle
    Just want to say that after strange-tasting water from two new kettles (stainless steel kettles too, and not cheap) we had success at last with the Morphy Richards Black Opera kettle - YES, result!
    So pleased - and it's a plastic kettle, but water boiled in it is fine with no strange taste. I chose this last kettle after reading lots of positive feedback about it from people who'd bought it. It's also a Which Best Buy. Delighted!
  • PudseyDB
    Just want to say that after strange-tasting water from two new kettles (stainless steel kettles too, and not cheap) we had success at last with the Morphy Richards Black Opera kettle - YES, result!
    So pleased - and it's a plastic kettle, but water boiled in it is fine with no strange taste. I chose this last kettle after reading lots of positive feedback about it from people who'd bought it. It's also a Which Best Buy. Delighted!
    Originally posted by emum
    That's a nice looking kettle actually - I'll bear it in mind as ours is starting to go dodgy - ie the lights no longer light up!
    Incidentally ours is a Russell Hobbs Thermocolor and never had any strange tastes!
  • oldandhappy
    Honestly we started to think ALL new kettles where going to be a problem...having purchased a MR one from argos clearance....plastic yuk tea...then one from currys can't remember now what one but plastic yuk tea again!!!now we have a stainless steel Kenwood 3rd time lucky...it makes perfect drinks again. Dianne
  • lynneypinny
    Found this thread as I've been having the same problem - brand new, expensive Morphy Richards kettle - makes the water taste revolting. Feel like we're being poisoned! Will try the bicarb thing. Thanks folks.
  • emeraldteas
    Thanks for the bicarb. suggestion, it works a treat, just enjoying a lovely cup of tea with horrible taste to it anymore.

Bought a Morrisons own brand kettle - looks exactly like the Morphy Richards one mentioned above but only half the price. Although had the same nasty taste to it even after a dozen boils

So tried I boiled with bicard and rinsed but then boiled again with a good dose of lemon jiff for good measure (didn't have any fresh lemon handy). Didn't bother rinsing after that boil as I drink Lady Grey so would just add to flavour anyway. Worked a treat; well done for posting that suggestion.
  • wrexham2
    I have posted this on here in the hope that one of you guys can help.
    Yesterday I bought a new kettle and I have been unable to remove a strange taste from the heated water, despite repeatedly boiling clean water, can anyone advise how I can remove the taste.
    cosmic
    Originally posted by cosmic
    The advice that Tefal gives, works a treat, I used 2 teaspoons in a kettle full, boiled it, rinsed out, boiled a full kettle again, emptied, and the job was done, no taste!!
  • spike7451
    When I first left the RAF,I worked in a factory that made kettles,the taste you are getting is more than likely the molding release agent which is a sort of grease that stops the plastic sticking in the molding machine,
    A good rinse of the kettle is really not a good idea,you should give the whole thing a wash with a sterilizing agent as quite often,the parts that make these kettles,are stored in warehouses until they are needed on a production run* in cardboard boxes & have rats & mice in the warehouse.This also applies to the packaging & other appliances as well.

*A type of kettle is only made when an order for a particular type comes in.
  • toasterman
    We bought a Breville. Nice kettle but there was a very strange taste when water was boiled in it. We rinsed it out lots and gave it a good week for the strange taste to go, but it didn't. We reluctantly had to return the kettle.
    We then bought a John Lewis make "bullet" kettle which cost almost 40. Same problem - and we've used it now for a week and the taste is still there. It's OK with the first cup of tea but if you top up the cup with more water from the kettle there is always a horrible taste. We'll have to return this one too - don't want to be drinking something that's obviously not good.
    I bought a new kettle last week for my new house (I lost the old one in the "divorce"). For some reason I got talked into getting a stainless steel one (I've always had plastic before), and after the 4-5 boils/empty (it said 3 in the manual - I wanted to be sure), I set about putting real water in it and making tea. It tasted a bit odd.
    It's a Russell Hobbs 18861.
    Over the coming days, I've hardly slept so I'm no longer a good test of whether or not anything tastes perfect, but a friend came round this morning and I made him a cup of coffee that was apparently so bad it was undrinkable. I made him another with a different cup in case there was some washing up liquid left over from washing it, but it was no better. The milk was only opened this morning, so it can't be that. It's the same coffee (the same jar) I used at my old house a few weeks ago. He's never complained of this problem before.
    It seems unlikely to be the water as my old house (where I regularly made him drinkable coffee) is only half a mile up the road - same water company and city. I don't know anyone else with a steel kettle - only glass and plastic.

I've never had to do anything with vinegar/bicarb before (don't have any of either, and am reluctant to spend a couple of quid on cleaning something that is brand new). Is this a common problem on stainless steel kettles? Seems so, from this thread/Google.
    I've found with stainless steel drinks flasks that the water from them always tastes odd, so realistically I'm not sure why I expected a s.steel kettle to be any better.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

316Posts Today

1,915Users online

Martin's Twitter