Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > basic bread recipe in breadmaker! help!!! (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
basic bread recipe in breadmaker! help!!!
Views: 23,635
# 1
dorry
Old 24-06-2005, 4:56 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default basic bread recipe in breadmaker! help!!!

hello,

can anyone give me a basic recipe for bread in a breadmaker?

i have used a couple of recipes but always seems a little heavy

i know u lot are dead clever and know how to do it?

any tips gratefully recieved

thanks
'If you judge people, you have no time to love them'
Mother Teresa
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
Zziggi
Old 24-06-2005, 4:58 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I've been using the recipe(for a 1lb loaf):
200ml water
350g bread flour
1tsp salt
1 1/2 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon dried milk powder
1/2 oz. butter/marg
1 tsp dried yeast. (allinson dried yeat)

this is the recipe suggested in the booklet that came with my machine but i've had unreliable results using this in my breadmaker.
# 3
dorry
Old 24-06-2005, 5:07 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

thanks zziggi,

will get some yeast and flour tommorow!!
Mother Teresa
# 4
JAMIEDODGER
Old 24-06-2005, 5:43 PM

Send a message via MSN to JAMIEDODGER

this is the recipe i use in my breadmaker and it works (touch wood) everytime.

1/2 tsp yeast
400g strong bread flour
1 tbsp sugar
15g butter
1 tsp salt
280ml water

jamie
Build your savings challenge: 0/2800 by 31st December 2014
# 5
dorry
Old 24-06-2005, 5:59 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

hya jamiedodger,

i have seen that strong bread flour in lidl, which one do u use ? or does it make any difference which one?
Mother Teresa
# 6
JAMIEDODGER
Old 24-06-2005, 6:06 PM

Send a message via MSN to JAMIEDODGER

hi dorry
i have used lidl's strong bread flour with really good results, but to be honest it doesnt matter what brand i usually go for whatever is cheapest as long as it is strong bread flour

jamie
Build your savings challenge: 0/2800 by 31st December 2014
The Following User Says Thank You to JAMIEDODGER For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
JoBatch80
Old 25-06-2005, 5:42 PM

Im a bread novice, 'accidentally' ( ) picked up a big bag of white strong bread flour today as it was on offer for 50p in somerfield, and some of those allinson yeast sachets.

Anyway - how do you put ingredients in? I mean, throw it all in, and mix it all together? I dont have a breadmaker, so im going to attempt oven baked, but I simply dont know how to put all the ingredients together, and in what order. If some one could point me in the right direction, that would be appreciated!! (excited me - cant wait to get cracking!)

Jo xx
# 8
dorry
Old 25-06-2005, 7:22 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

hya jo,

i have just got adsa's white strong bread flour for 50p and yeast for 54p
i have put all the ingredients in my breadmaker any order and switch it on and it needs the dough first then bakes the loaf. i am not sure how u do it by hand i am sure someone will know on here though!!

good luck!!

ps. i had to cook two batches today and first one was eaten by ds within a hour!! he said it was lovely, even oh commented on it at tea time !! so its definetly worth the effort of making it
Mother Teresa
The Following User Says Thank You to dorry For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
squeaky
Old 25-06-2005, 9:14 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Send a message via MSN to squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw1096
Im a bread novice, 'accidentally' ( ) picked up a big bag of white strong bread flour today as it was on offer for 50p in somerfield, and some of those allinson yeast sachets.

Anyway - how do you put ingredients in? I mean, throw it all in, and mix it all together? I dont have a breadmaker, so im going to attempt oven baked, but I simply dont know how to put all the ingredients together, and in what order. If some one could point me in the right direction, that would be appreciated!! (excited me - cant wait to get cracking!)

Jo xx
There's a site about hand making bread HERE which looks like it'll give you a good start
Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to squeaky For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
culpepper
Old 25-06-2005, 10:20 PM

Make sure you use luke-warm water when making your bread by hand.You need to check the yeast packet to find out wether it is an add to the dry ingredients version or wet ingredients.Allinsons dried in the orange tin is the wet ingredient kind if used by hand so you have to add it to luke warm,sugared water and leave till frothy but in the breadmaker,I can just add it last ontop of the flour.
I found I had to reduce the sugar as it was far too sweet for us the way the breadmaking recipe recommended.We use only 1 tsp of sugar , the same of salt and 1tbsp milk powder.I dont put any kind of oil or fat in at all.
If you continue to get disaster loaves,it might be the yeast is too old.
The amount of water you need can vary from flour,to flour.One brand may have more moisture to begin with and need less water added than another brand.
The Following User Says Thank You to culpepper For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
mah_jong
Old 26-06-2005, 8:19 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorry
hello,

can anyone give me a basic recipe for bread in a breadmaker?

i have used a couple of recipes but always seems a little heavy

i know u lot are dead clever and know how to do it?

any tips gratefully recieved

thanks

Have you got the correct yeast?? I got a regular one once and the difference is huge!!! Or rather small....a small dense loaf....so disappointing!! Make sure it says for breadmakers on it.

Which bread maker have you?
# 12
dorry
Old 26-06-2005, 9:38 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mah_jong
Have you got the correct yeast?? I got a regular one once and the difference is huge!!! Or rather small....a small dense loaf....so disappointing!! Make sure it says for breadmakers on it.

Which bread maker have you?
i have checked packet, its the hovis one and says its suitable for breadmakers. which one do u use?
Mother Teresa
# 13
MATH
Old 27-06-2005, 11:11 AM

Delia (slowly lowers his head to show defference) says that plain flour will make as good a loaf as any shop bought so I gave it a go. The results were lighter, better risen, more even and softer than when I used strong flour. 19p v 51p so guess which one I now use. My breadmaker is an old Mellerware one but it may be worth you giving it a go and see if it works for you.
Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MATH For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
DSmiffy
Old 27-06-2005, 12:57 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default home made bread recipes....

I don't have a bread maker but make my bread by hand just like my granny used to.. Mind you it's no where near as good as hers used to be, not yet anyway. Does anyone have a recipe for herb bread / cheesey herb bread and can they let me have the quantities. I did find one but the quantities were in "cups" whatever they are !!! Also can you use dried herbs??
thanks everyone, great forum by the way !!
# 15
squeaky
Old 27-06-2005, 1:13 PM

Hiya,

There's a useful breadmaking site here:-

http://www.breadinfo.com/

With some recipes here:-

http://www.breadinfo.com/recipes.shtml

..though not the particular ones you asked about. In most cases a couple or three teaspoons of a herb or spice will be plenty and about three ounces 75g of fruits or other solids is fine.

Edit: Actually there's a herb cheddar recipe in the machine recipe section that you could adapt

As for cups - the americans work by volume rather than weight.

You can usually buy plastic cup sets in pretty much any supermarket - but for recipes that are ALL cups you just need to use any old cup or mug you like and as long as you use THAT mug for all the ingredients the proportions will work out fine.

In the meantime - an american cup is 240mil and a european one is 250mil

Hardly worth bothering about the difference.

To get quantities right for a recipe that's one cup of something and everything else in in tablespoons etc there's a way to sort this out.

Put a mug or glass on your scales (glass is better 'cos you can mark it) and zero them. Now add water until the scales show 250grams. This is where you can stick a bit of label or sticky tape on the outside of this glass to mark the water level.

THAT is one cup

Just dry the glass off and fill it with flour or sugar (whatever) to that level and your recipe will be right.

If you happen to have a smaller glass or tumbler that comes to about 250 when full it's even easier
Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Last edited by squeaky; 27-06-2005 at 1:23 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to squeaky For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
KTFrugal
Old 27-06-2005, 8:04 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Herb and Cheese Bread

Ingredients:
2tsp dried yeast
1/2 pint warm water approx
1lb bread flour
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp olive oil
8 oz grated cheese - cheddar, gruyere work well
2 tsp dried herbs of your choice

Make up dough without cheese using the sponge method. Knead 10 minutes, then knead in cheese. First rise, 1 1/2 hours, rest 10 minutes. Form into 4 flat loaves, rather like ciabatta. Sprinkle with extra cheese if liked. Second rise 45 minutes. Bake at gas 6 for 25-30 mins.

You can slash the loaves through to form an open pattern if you like. Do this after the first rise. This is the traditional French shape for these hearth breads, but the dough works well as a regular loaf, if that's what you want.

Good for using up odds and ends of cheese...
# 17
Ruby Pudding
Old 12-08-2005, 7:08 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Very basic white bread recipe needed

I'm feeling very brave and am going to attempt to make some bread tonight for the first time ever I have searched online and on here for a very basic white bread recipes but they all seem to be for breadmakers or include things like lard ( ) or shortening, whatever that is.

Can someone please just tell me if I can make a white loaf using any of the following that I have in the cupboard:

Dried yeast sachets
plain flour
self raising flour
semi skimmed milk
butter
veg & olive oil

Any help would be much appreciated. I've already made cheese biscuits & pizza dough from recipes found on here which were a complete success so am really eager to try this too

Many thanks
# 18
crossleydd42
Old 12-08-2005, 7:35 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I assume you don't have a breadmaker (not needed anyway). However, you will need strong flour to make bread. It's in supermarkets.

Try this recipe
:
Ingredients

15 g ( oz) fresh yeast or 7.5 ml (1 level tsp) dried yeast and a Pinch of sugar
450ml ( Pint) tepid water
700 g (1 lb) strong white flour
10 ml (2 level tsp) salt
Knob of lard, butter or block margarine

Method

1. Grease a 900 g (2Ib) loaf tin, or two 450 g (I lb) loaf tins.
2. Blend the fresh yeast with the water. If using dried yeast, sprinkle it into the water with the pinch of sugar and leave in a warm place for 15 minutes until frothy.
3. Mix the flour and salt in a large bowl and rub in the lard. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add the yeast liquid. Stir in with a fork or wooden spoon.
4. Work it to a firm dough using your hand, adding extra flour if the dough is too slack, until it leaves the sides of the bowl clean. Do not let the dough become too stiff as this produces heavy "close" bread.
5. Turn the dough on to a floured surface and knead thoroughly for about 10 minutes, until the dough feels firm and elastic and no longer sticky. Shape it into a ball and place in a large mixing bowl.
6. Cover the bowl with a clean tea towel to prevent a skin forming and allow to rise until it has doubled in size and springs back when pressed gently with a floured finger.
7. Turn the dough on to a lightly floured surface and knead well for 2-3 minutes, flattening it firmly with the knuckles to knock out the air bubbles.
8. Stretch the dough into an oblong the same width as the length of the tin, fold it into three and turn it over so that the "seam' is underneath. Smooth over the top, tuck in the ends and place in the greased loaf tin.
9. Cover the tin with a clean tea towel and leave to prove for about 30 minutes or until the dough comes to the top of the tin and springs back when pressed gently with a lightly floured finger. If you want to glaze your bread do it now.
10. Place the tin on a baking sheet and bake in the oven at 230C (450F) mark 8 for 30-40 minutes, until well risen and golden brown. When the loaf is cooked it will shrink slightly from the sides of the tin.
11. Turn out the loaf; it will sound hollow if you tap the bottom of it.
12. Leave to cool on a wire rack.

"Some say the cup is half empty, while others say it is half full. However, this is skirting around the issue. The real problem is that the cup is too big."
# 19
squeaky
Old 12-08-2005, 8:36 PM

On - line bread info including hand making

# 20
zippychick
Old 14-02-2009, 12:26 PM

right, first time using bm and ive went to put the mix in and ive no sugar. i only have brown sugar or sweetener. anyone any ideas??

so far have put oin skimmed milk and water. Using one of pinks recipes i tink

Water: 1 and a half cups
Skimmed milk powder: 4 tablespoons
Sugar: 3 tablespoons
Sunflower oil: 4 tablespoons
Salt: 2 teaspoons
Flour: One cup wholemeal, one cup strong bread, two cups of plain
Yeast: 1 and a quarter teaspoons
I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
Norn Iron club member #380