Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Savings & Investments > Is the cash withdraw limit e.g. 300.00 really th... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Is the cash withdraw limit e.g. 300.00 really the limit?
Closed Thread
Views: 96,286
# 1
thebeak
Old 08-01-2008, 9:40 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Is the cash withdraw limit e.g. 300.00 really the limit?

Hello,
Something interesting I was told by a Llyods remember of staff:
You can in effect double the limit. If you withdraw money over the counter e.g. 300.00 then you can also withdraw another 300.00 from the ATM machine, as they work on a different counter system? All within the same day.

Anyone heard about this?

Also can you give notice to withdraw more than the 300.00 limit? Like if you give them a days notice? I'm talking about a current account

Thanks
# 2
pre-reg
Old 08-01-2008, 9:43 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

i thought the cash withdrawal limit was just for the cashpoint.

Over the counter you can withdraw as much as you like.
# 3
MrSafeGaz
Old 08-01-2008, 9:43 PM
MoneySaving Convert

When I closed my Abbey account the other day, I was allowed 500 over the counter and 300 from the cash machine. Whether it differs slightly for other banks I am not sure.
# 4
looby-loo
Old 08-01-2008, 9:48 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

At A&L you can withdraw 250 at the cash machine outside then go inside and get another 250. The cashier can overide the limit. You can't do it the other way round ie inside first then the machine. Also, some very nice cashiers will give more if I ask. I've done this if I need to make a cash payment into Barclay's to stay in credit.

(the limit might be more - I don't do it often)
Doing voluntary work overseas for as long as it takes .......
My DD might make the odd post for me
# 5
dunstonh
Old 08-01-2008, 10:05 PM
Mega Magnificent Maxi-Meticulous Uber-MoneySaving Magnate

The limit only applies to the cashpoint. I have a £1000 limit but to get that you have to do it in a maximum of £200 at a time IIRC. There is no limit on the counter unless you happen to have a part time branch that may not have a large safe or your transaction really is beyond the norm (typically over £10k).

Building societies and ex building societies are the ones that tend to have counter limits. The traditional banks do not.
I am a Financial Adviser. Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dunstonh For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
thebeak
Old 08-01-2008, 10:15 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Ah I see what you mean about the limit being for the cash machine...Can you give a building society say a days notice and withdraw more than the daily cash limit over the counter or are they not moving on their 'limits'?
# 7
looby-loo
Old 10-01-2008, 1:51 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeak View Post
Ah I see what you mean about the limit being for the cash machine...Can you give a building society say a days notice and withdraw more than the daily cash limit over the counter or are they not moving on their 'limits'?
Yes - you can 'order' the money
# 8
moonrakerz
Old 10-01-2008, 2:07 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunstonh View Post
There is no limit on the counter unless you happen to have a part time branch that may not have a large safe or your transaction really is beyond the norm (typically over 10k).
I bank with First Direct and recently took a "largish" sum out over the counter at my local HSBC.
I rang beforehand and all they wanted was for me to bring my passport or photo driving licence with me.
# 9
someone
Old 10-01-2008, 2:23 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

From memory in Abbey you can take up to £500 out as long as you use the cash machine inside Abbey and do 2 transactions.
I think the idea is to reduce queuing time for the cashers and if anything fishy is going on they can check the cctv of the bank to see if it was or was not you taking the money out.
# 10
debbie42
Old 10-01-2008, 2:26 PM

It's 600 (without advanced warning) at my local Halifax branch counter service.
Debbie
# 11
Idiophreak
Old 10-01-2008, 2:28 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Last time I tried to take cash out over-the-counter at HSBC they refused point-blank to do it at all.

One of the many reasons I'm leaving the scum ASAP.
# 12
PBA
Old 10-01-2008, 2:35 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

At Abbey you can get 500GBP over the counter and 300GBP from the machines per day. You can give 2 days notice to get more cash.
# 13
Riq
Old 10-01-2008, 3:36 PM

Natwest will give you whatever you want as long as it is reasonable, so you wont be walking out with 20k without at least giving a bit of notice.

Anything over 1,000 and Natwest insist on two forms of ID. You have no idea the amount of grief I used to get because of that.

Interestingly if anyone is a premium customer, for 2 per transaction you used to be able to take 750 out of the machines per day.
"I'm not from around here, I have my own customs"
For confirmation: No, I'm not a 40 year old woman, I'm a 26 year old bloke!
# 14
Jonbvn
Old 10-01-2008, 4:16 PM

I'm with HSBC and my limit is 1k per day, with a limit of GBP500 per ATM withdrawal.
In case you hadn't already worked it out - the entire global financial system is predicated on the assumption that you're an idiot
# 15
emma396
Old 10-01-2008, 4:56 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Before xmas, i withdrew 4k from abbey, i called them up in the morning to give them notice. I used to work for Lloyds, I'd let people take out as much money as they had in the account as long as there was money in the bank and they had ID with them.
# 16
isofa
Old 10-01-2008, 7:56 PM

[Abbey rant] Abbey made a massive fuss when I asked for a cheque a few months ago, payable to myself, so god knows how they'd behave with cash. It wasn't that much, couple of thousand and I had work photo ID, credit cards, debit cards, business cards, and every other kind of ID, although not a passport or driving licence on me. Oh and they also knew me quite well. They made a massive fuss and said they couldn't do it, so I had to call the manager and complain in front of a queue of people, and suddenly they did it - ridiculous - a cheque payable to the account holder! I've since closed the account, because I'd never received such poor service in my life in various issues and balls ups. [/Abbey rant]

Back on topic... Never had a problem taking out cash in various quantities over the counter anywhere else (and bank with Lloyds a lot), as long as you have ID, it's fine. Small limits £250 etc, usually just apply to ATMs, it's a safety limit in case someone steals your card and PIN.

Last edited by isofa; 10-01-2008 at 8:00 PM.
# 17
p1an0player
Old 10-01-2008, 11:35 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

500 daily ATM limit on Coventry First account
# 18
chappers
Old 11-01-2008, 7:01 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I bank with Abbey the limit is 500 over the counter without notice and 300 from the ATM. You can withdraw more over the counter with notice the amount of notice varies depending on how much and which branch sometimes a phone call on the day is enough sometimes longer.
# 19
Jonbvn
Old 11-01-2008, 7:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiophreak View Post
Last time I tried to take cash out over-the-counter at HSBC they refused point-blank to do it at all.

One of the many reasons I'm leaving the scum ASAP.
I've never had any problem at all. I am guessing that you did not have any ID with you. In such a case, all banks would have refused you.
In case you hadn't already worked it out - the entire global financial system is predicated on the assumption that you're an idiot
# 20
maryotuam
Old 11-01-2008, 7:57 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I was able to take out £1400 over the counter at the Coop Bank branch from my Smile account with no ID asked for nor any advance notice! It made me a bit nervous because if I lost my card, my account could possibly be cleared out too easily.
It's great to be ALIVE!
Closed Thread