Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Credit Cards > Post Office credit card - internet banking? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Post Office credit card - internet banking?
Closed Thread
Views: 29,141
# 1
thriftymanc
Old 07-01-2008, 11:37 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Post Office credit card - internet banking?

Sorry to ask another stupid question about credit cards!

Does anyone here have Post Office credit card? Where on earth do you log into your internet banking?! I called earlier to activate my Enterprise PIN to log in with, but the lady on the phone just told me to go to www.postoffice.co.uk and log in, she either didn't know or just wouldn't give me the specific address. How useful!

After about 15 minutes of searching the site, the only page I could find that looked remotely along the right lines was this:

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/portal/p...catId=19400177

But the link to log in doesn't exist anyway, so surely it's not this? Once again... useful!

Any help much appreciated, can't believe how much of a faff this is turning out to be, thought it was meant to make things easier?!
# 2
exel1966
Old 07-01-2008, 11:40 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

you want :- https://www.pofssavecredit.co.uk/Post/Login_ie.html

but be warned it's a poor excuse for a site.
The Following User Says Thank You to exel1966 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
exel1966
Old 08-01-2008, 4:20 PM

Funny how I just logged into it 30 seconds ago using the link I provided here !!
I suggest the problem is at your end !
# 4
exel1966
Old 08-01-2008, 6:31 PM

More like the version of explorer/web browser you're using isn't compatible with the site as I've never known it to be down apart from on sundays when it seems regular maintenance/updating is done.
# 5
Lazy Runner
Old 08-01-2008, 9:33 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

To ask an obvious question, do you have pop-ups blocked?
If you are at a poker game and you cannot figure out who is the patsy then guess what...you're the patsy - Warren Buffet
# 6
exel1966
Old 09-01-2008, 9:54 PM

It really is a poor website so he was right there though I've never heard anything so daft as It doesn't work on laptops !

Maybe this laptop I'm typing on right now isn't really a laptop ! Damn, I've been conned !
The Following User Says Thank You to exel1966 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
mccabe
Old 29-09-2008, 11:16 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftymanc View Post
Sorry to ask another stupid question about credit cards!

Does anyone here have Post Office credit card? Where on earth do you log into your internet banking?! I called earlier to activate my Enterprise PIN to log in with, but the lady on the phone just told me to go to www.postoffice.co.uk and log in, she either didn't know or just wouldn't give me the specific address. How useful!

After about 15 minutes of searching the site, the only page I could find that looked remotely along the right lines was this:

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/portal/p...catId=19400177

But the link to log in doesn't exist anyway, so surely it's not this? Once again... useful!

Any help much appreciated, can't believe how much of a faff this is turning out to be, thought it was meant to make things easier?!
If you find the log in to Post Offioce site difficult, try to print out a statement on their scroll down product. The page gives you no access to printer, and you cannot even Copy it. This is probably so you phone and ask for a statement for which you are charged heavilly.
# 8
ziggyzaggy
Old 19-10-2008, 5:16 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Just to add to the list of the rubbish things about the online service of post office credit card.

Last time i tried to get into my account I had to use internet explorer to get the login page to work like it looks like it supposed to. However the box to type in my login details isn't big enough to fit them in.

Now trying to get the login page I just get 404 page not found errors.
# 9
marionquine
Old 26-11-2008, 2:21 PM
MoneySaving Convert

re phone number costing, go to this site and find an 0800 no.
It worked for me (for the post office credit card, no is 0800 169 2000)
http://www.saynoto0870.com/
I got on to the Post office site using the link above (McCabes link) but what on earth is your online user ID?
# 10
ChapelGirl
Old 08-08-2009, 5:19 PM
MoneySaving Convert

You cannot access the Post Office Credit Card site with any browser other than Internet Explorer.

Quote:
Can I access my account details online?

Yes. You'll be sent a user ID and a 6 Digit Security number which you can use to sign in to access your account. You just need to click on the existing customer account sign in link on the credit card home page. Currently our online account access is only available through Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher. We are looking to improve this service soon.

Pretty rubbish, huh?

I have Firefox on my machine and my other half has 3 or 4 other browsers as well but we have dumped Microsoft so we no longer run IE, which means I can't use the online banking facility at all. We've tried all the other browsers and they all come back with a warning screen or a blank page or they crash.

It has been like this for a year or 2, and there doesn't seem to be any move to change it, as far as I can tell.

My main reason for having the card is its better than average rates for foreign currency transactions, but if you are away for a week or 2 and need to check your balance from, say your laptop in a hotel lobby, then forget it.

It's time the Bank of Ireland got itself into the 21st century.

Surely giving access only via IE is some kind of restraint of trade?

On the up-side, the telephone staff are all really helpful, speak English fluently (with lovely Irish accents!) and you don't have to go through a 10 minute automated call steering system to get to them.

Last edited by ChapelGirl; 08-08-2009 at 5:27 PM. Reason: added quote from website
# 11
stobbs8
Old 27-08-2009, 4:09 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Only internet X. Why I have Safari

Have been in touch with Post Office Financial Services today asking when I'm going to be able to register for internet banking with Safari. As far as I know all Apple Macs have Safari as the main browser, but I can't get any sense out of them. I've been pushed from one department to another. Does anyone know when we are going to something other than Internet Explorer to register?
# 12
chriskross
Old 13-10-2009, 6:36 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Agree with all above. My desktop PC is Linux only, and I did manage to get the site 'working' (an even worse display of an already atrocious site!) by pretending it's using IE (though I don't like doing this, as they won't change anything if they think everyone's using IE). However, no more. Even using Opera, it seems to go through the login process, and then gives a message 'Currently unavailable'. After several tries of this, I used IE at work, and it had no problems. I complained about the site nearly 2 years ago when I first got the card.

The irony is that if you go to bankofireland dot co dot uk their GUI is much cleaner, and it offers an option for users of Safari. I still don't like the idea of offering options for specific browsers, but at least they recognise the problems. The source code for that site seems much better (cites w3c.org in its header), so why not use the same coding for the PO card? The BoI site looks very professional,; surprised they're content to have a sub-site that is truly the worst-looking site to look at and use I've ever seen. Just found references on the PO site which talks about accessibility, then mentions that parts of the site (including the CC application page) don't comply with standards!

I'm planning on writing a letter, quoting w3c.org and anybrowser.org on how to design as site so it works on multiple browsers. BTW, validator.w3.org threw up 25 errors on the main page!
# 13
learmonth
Old 16-12-2009, 7:35 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

If you havn't got Internet Explorer, there is a version of Opera for most operating systems and you can set Opera to tell the Post Office website that it is Internet Explorer, which gets round their blocking screen.

Open www . pofssavecredit . co . uk in Opera. Then go to 'Tools' - 'Quick Preferences' - 'Edit site preferences'. Select the 'Network' tab and use the drop down list to set the Browser Identification to 'Identify as Internet Explorer' This only applies to this domain and will be remembered for future visits.

Using this technique I had no problems accessing my account - I did not find the layout much worse than in Internet Explorer.

I agree with the point made by others that all sites should comply with the proper international standards and that we should not be forced to use software produced by one particular commercial company.
# 14
marksoton
Old 16-12-2009, 7:53 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

My experience with the PO platinum card :

Application : Faultless

Limit : Good ( > 5K )

Delivery of card : Prompt

Blocked abroad : No ( unlike others when i was in Oz )

Customer service : Excellent on the phone

DD setup : Faultless

... And yet still i will be leaving them soon. It is simply unacceptable in this day and age to not have an easily accessible internet banking system. Such a shame. Especially as i believe BOI customers have a fully functioning site. They really are doing themselves a diservice.
There's a good reason why the words muppet and puppet are so similar...
# 15
hansi
Old 10-02-2010, 2:51 PM

See my post today about my PO CC application. Reading this, I'm glad I'm not going ahead with it!
# 16
choc_mouse
Old 10-02-2010, 7:27 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Old thread but agree with the above. Actually, the PO have improved and now the internet banking supports other web browsers.

Previously only supported IE. Works fine on Safari and probably Firefox although the user interface is still very amateurish. Am able to get the info I need though.
# 17
cos
Old 10-02-2010, 10:54 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I'm another customer who was initially a bit peeved he couldn't use his preferred browser, i.e. (lol) Firefox without being warned.

But then I thought, there's a presumption most folk on this site would hold that, if we phoned, we would get an English speaker on the line. Well, I've checked Barclaycard and see none of that. No pre warning at all. We have to accept English or attempt something else, maybe Opera?

What I'm badly trying to say is that the PO offers an accessible site and each and every one of us has the capability to use it if we wish. It's not rocket-science, and it's not any huge incumbrance upon any of us, if we are being completely honest.

Last edited by cos; 10-02-2010 at 11:00 PM.
# 18
beattie
Old 30-03-2012, 5:00 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default nothing changed

i got in touch with Post Office customer service ,having trouble logging on to internet banking mmmm, Iwas told they still have the same issues with any browser except IE and that they had until 2014 to legally sort it out .Not bad that is it . It will be 6 years to my reckoning with the same problem Anyway i am sorted now nothing changes
# 19
Wammer
Old 30-03-2012, 9:55 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I can access the PO credit card site using Opera. However I don't think it has the facility to download statements.
Closed Thread