Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 19
    • zx81
    • By zx81 1st Mar 17, 11:45 AM
    • 14,130 Posts
    • 14,817 Thanks
    zx81
    What are your limits and balances?

What is on your credit files - not the score - what data is on there? Any missed payments etc? No one will ever see or care about your score.

If you apply and get less than you want, don't reject it. You should look to make the savings you can get, not work to a certain all or nothing figure.
    • leegplayer
    • By leegplayer 13th Apr 17, 10:44 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    leegplayer
    MNBA to Virgin.
    Hi.

I have an outstanding balance of £1956 on a MNBA card. I have a good chance of getting an good deal on a BT to a Virgin card. I have read that you cannot transfer between these cards. Is this still the case and if so is there a workaround? Also can I do a BT from my Argos Store card to this Virgin card?

Cheers in advance.
    • Marchitiello
    • By Marchitiello 13th Apr 17, 11:46 PM
    • 269 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    Marchitiello
    Hi.

I have an outstanding balance of £1956 on a MNBA card. I have a good chance of getting an good deal on a BT to a Virgin card. I have read that you cannot transfer between these cards. Is this still the case and if so is there a workaround? Also can I do a BT from my Argos Store card to this Virgin card?

Cheers in advance.
    Originally posted by leegplayer
    Virgin cards used to be issued by MBNA until a couple of years ago. Now they are issued by Virgin Money, so the two cards are not longer linked.

You cannot balance transfer from and Argos card as it is not a credit card (Amex, MasterCard or Visa).
    • leegplayer
    • By leegplayer 14th Apr 17, 8:00 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    leegplayer
    You cannot balance transfer from and Argos card as it is not a credit card (Amex, MasterCard or Visa).
    Originally posted by Marchitiello
    Does Virgin Cards still do the Super Balance Transfer so I can clear the Argos card this way?

Cheers in advance.
    • Marchitiello
    • By Marchitiello 15th Apr 17, 10:20 AM
    • 269 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    Marchitiello
    Does Virgin Cards still do the Super Balance Transfer so I can clear the Argos card this way?

Cheers in advance.
    I have quickly look at their website and cannot see any reference to Super Balancr Transfer. What you need is a money balance transfer card, so you can transfer to your bank account and from there pay your Argos account.
    Last edited by Marchitiello; 15-04-2017 at 10:22 AM.
    • TheShape
    • By TheShape 15th Apr 17, 11:14 AM
    • 1,113 Posts
    • 869 Thanks
    TheShape

Cheers in advance.
    Virgin Money has a huge range of MT/BT card options. If you take a look at the Money Transfer and Balance Transfer sections you can see the respective fees. You just need to calculate the costs of transferring your respective balances.

Most (if not all) of the cards have the same promotional length on MTs and BTs just with differing fees.
    • jnm21
    • By jnm21 24th Apr 17, 9:09 AM
    • 633 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    jnm21
    Hsbc
    MSE can you help? I applied for the HSBC balance transfer card mentioned in the 29th March email - transfer 1,500 & get £50 cashback. I have heard nothing from them. Not one word - the process went through & said they would be back to me in (I think) 5 or 10 working days - TBH it has been a busy month & with Easter & being in the email I gave them some leeway. I have checked my noodle report (produced on 18th) and there is nothing on it. The only reason I know confidently that it was the 29th is because I downloaded the T&Cs (and also it ended that night).
    • Watermarc
    • By Watermarc 14th May 17, 2:40 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Watermarc
    Is there any "home advantage" with credit card providers who already know you?
    I'm wondering if there is any advantage to getting a BT card with an institution you already bank with over one you've never banked with?

For example, the eligibility calc says I have an equal chance of getting a Halifax and a Barclaycard 0% card. One is 24 months, the other is 26 months so not much difference there. I already have a Halifax account which is not used much but is still active. I'm wondering if I might get a higher credit limit with a "home" institution as opposed to going to a new one. Or is this type of old-world, personal, talk-to-your-bank-manager-and-see-what-he-can-do-for-a-valued-customer banking non-existant nowadays?!

Any experiences of this?
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 14th May 17, 9:32 PM
    • 2,005 Posts
    • 918 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    Water I would say if your halifax account was been used for your income and in a good state then yes, but given its barely used and I assume a low balance I dont think it will help you much.
    • tonycook
    • By tonycook 15th May 17, 7:22 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tonycook
    I've been looking at balance transfers and noticed that there are a lot of 0% on balance tranfers for a period of time but with 3% handling fee. Does this mean that if I tranferred over £1000, I would have to pay £30 for the priviledge?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 15th May 17, 7:27 AM
    • 14,130 Posts
    • 14,817 Thanks
    zx81
    Yes. .
    • Dandytf
    • By Dandytf 15th May 17, 12:27 PM
    • 908 Posts
    • 344 Thanks
    Dandytf
    I have my Aqua 0% 6 mths balance transfer card (34.9 standard apr).450 limit.

Is it worth transferring a few quid from 1 or 2 existing cards.

e.g. Luma (600ish34.9)
    myc+ *165 30% apr )

1st question tranfer from 1 or 2 Cards to use Auqa 0% 6mths
    2nd question -Aqua last advised I could tranfer upto 390 max -I wont mange to clear upto 390 in 6 mths -how soon would I run the risk of exceeding 450 limit@34.9
    3rd question -Should I ask cap 1 to merge Luma (1k limt-650 balance with Cap 1 450 limit 249 balance)
    My head tells me transfer as much as possible from Luma as it was only used for a home emergancy/mot.

What I want to acheive is getting into regualr small at least min payments with these cards going forward.
    Last edited by Dandytf; 15-05-2017 at 12:30 PM.
    sc dmp 2012 13k

Jan 2017 7380 paid. 50% ish...
    • amygill1990
    • By amygill1990 17th May 17, 11:29 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    amygill1990
    I want to transfer my debt on my AA interest free credit card to an MBNA to take advantage of their low transfer rates.

I’ve read some old threads saying they’d experienced problems with transferring debt from AA credit cards.

Has anyone had any success on transferring from AA?

I’ve already taken the MBNA card out and am waiting for it to come via post to make the transfer, but ill cancel it asap if it looks like It can’t be done!

thanks in advanced xxx
    • BatchedMetting
    • By BatchedMetting 17th May 17, 1:54 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    BatchedMetting
    Options for Balance Transfer to Natwest Credit Card?
    If I wanted to pay off my Natwest Credit Card with a balance transfer from another credit card, are there any credit cards that won't allow it?

I already have a Virgin Money credit card.

Thanks!
    • Dandytf
    • By Dandytf 17th May 17, 9:44 PM
    • 908 Posts
    • 344 Thanks
    Dandytf
    Decided and transferred 350 from cap1 Luna to aqua 0% 6mths. 10 fee at least a few months to reduce as soon as poss.
    sc dmp 2012 13k

Jan 2017 7380 paid. 50% ish...
    • nickchip1980
    • By nickchip1980 23rd May 17, 6:03 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    nickchip1980
    Hi Dan do you or anyone else know what the best credit card is to change to with £1500 balance and to transfer air miles to?
    • Stu_D
    • By Stu_D 17th Jun 17, 4:24 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Stu_D
    Hi

Is it possible to do transfer the balance from a Hire Perchance fiance agreement for a car to a 0% card?
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 17th Jun 17, 5:17 PM
    • 10,708 Posts
    • 7,001 Thanks
    bigadaj
    Hi

Is it possible to do transfer the balance from a Hire Perchance fiance agreement for a car to a 0% card?
    Originally posted by Stu_D
    It's possible but there are some hurdles.

Many finance companies won't accept credit card payments directly, which means you need a money transfer balance card, which tend to have higher fees than for a normal credit card balance transfer. This would deposit money in your current account which you'd then settle the hire purchase with. You need to confirm that you can settle at little or no cost with your finance company, and there isn't a clawback in discounts for example.

Last point is that car finance can be for significant amounts, so you'd need a large available balance to accommodate the transfer.
    • Joysjoy
    • By Joysjoy 5th Jul 17, 9:21 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Joysjoy
    Hi Dan

I used MSE's eligibility checker and got pre approved for an MBNA card - I then went through the application to MBNA and the outcome was it couldn't match me to a pre approved application from a price comparison site - the only difference was adding an optional middle name and adding additional info on childcare costs.( Different questions asked on MBNA site and eligibility question on outgoing too ) it then said I was however eligible and it would undertake a full application with credit search but no guarantee of getting the card . This smells very much like a hook - so I'm disappointed if MSE and probably other comparison sites are being used by MBNA like this. I didn't proceed as I started the application on the basis that I was pre approved and this seems a somewhat thin description . Has anyone else had this response and can MSE check this

Thanks

Joy
    • zx81
    • By zx81 5th Jul 17, 9:22 PM
    • 14,130 Posts
    • 14,817 Thanks
    zx81
    The pre approval is always subject to final checks.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,426Posts Today

6,975Users online

Martin's Twitter