Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 243
    • ffs1987
    • By ffs1987 28th Mar 17, 3:34 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ffs1987
    The limit on on Sainsbury's card is £3,000.

Sainsbury's told me that they didn't recognise the credit card account number. I've just realised that the Capital One credit card I got was through very.co.uk. I've searched online and apparently Shop Direct Finance Company Limited acts as the credit broker for the Very Credit Card and Capital One is the lender.

Is there anyway around this?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 28th Mar 17, 3:40 PM
    • 14,384 Posts
    • 15,172 Thanks
    zx81
    Does the Sainsbury's card offer money transfer?
    • youth leader
    • By youth leader 12th Apr 17, 8:37 PM
    • 354 Posts
    • 422 Thanks
    youth leader
    I am really upset and angry that Sainsburys have lost my passport and wish I had sent another form of ID. My husband died last May and all of our holidays were in it - I have now got to go through all the faff of getting a new one.

They are saying they sent it back - all I received was my council tax bill - which wasn't accepted because my name isn't shown in full. Looking at my bills, my name isn't in full on any of them. It does not say on their information to send a bill where your name is showing in full - they need to clarify this.

I got the council tax bill back by signed for last Wednesday and rang them to say my passport wasn't with it but the letter referred to 'these originals' - I was told they had to email another department who would not be able to respond for several days, and I should ring back this week. I said it wasn't good enough and rang back yesterday.

They say they did send the passport back - so my passport is lost. It wasn't in the flimsy envelope, which was split. I have cancelled my passport and am awaiting further information.

I am very disappointed with their organisation already.

Not good enough.
    £216 saved 24 October 2014
    • wizardlopes
    • By wizardlopes 19th May 17, 6:05 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    wizardlopes
    Balance Transfer
    Are there any cards offering 0% bt that would apply to us? - we live in the Channel Islands Jersey
    As refusing accepting Jersey post code

Thanks
    • Aligra
    • By Aligra 21st May 17, 8:54 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Aligra
    Credit Card Transfers
    My father passed away a week ago and the company he did the credit card transfer with are asking my sister who lived with him and shared the mortgage payments to take over the debt. Can they do this?
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 21st May 17, 12:51 PM
    • 5,890 Posts
    • 5,850 Thanks
    eskbanker
    My father passed away a week ago and the company he did the credit card transfer with are asking my sister who lived with him and shared the mortgage payments to take over the debt. Can they do this?
    Originally posted by Aligra
    Sorry for your loss.

Any debts of your father's must be settled from his estate before any residual assets are distributed. If he shared a property and mortgage with your sister then what happens next is determined by the way the legal arrangements were set up, e.g. whether they were 'tenants in common' or not - the best thing will be for your sister to ascertain this and if any assistance is needed then post on the cheerily-titled death, funerals and probate board.
    • D-21
    • By D-21 23rd May 17, 7:32 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    D-21
    Transferring to a previous lender
    Hi all,

Not sure if this has already been covered but haven't seen it & apologies in advance.....
    This is an area that has always caused me some confusion, I know unless the current provider offers you balance transfer offers to transfer existing debt you cant transfer between different cards with the same provider. But if you have previously used the provider but closed the account or have another active card with them can you re-use that provider to transfer a balance from another? As the best rates for me are providers I've previously used or even am currently using as I have a number of cards. But a couple are at the end of the 0% and I need to transfer again and not sure if I can use ie Barclaycard to transfer an MBNA balance as currently have one active card with Barclaycard (albeit need to transfer this anyway).

Thanks
    • zx81
    • By zx81 23rd May 17, 7:49 AM
    • 14,384 Posts
    • 15,172 Thanks
    zx81
    Yes, subject to acceptance.
    • D-21
    • By D-21 24th May 17, 10:23 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    D-21
    Change of address
    I've also just bought a house & moved in last week. Not sure if I should hold off a little while before applying? Whether this will impact my likelihood of being accepted, however I have gone from renting to a mortgage which surely shows more stability?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 24th May 17, 10:24 AM
    • 14,384 Posts
    • 15,172 Thanks
    zx81
    You could try. If rejected, leave it 3 months.

A mortgage may surely show more stability, but it may also surely show a potential drain on finances.
    • 79Million
    • By 79Million 28th Jun 17, 9:24 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    79Million
    Credit limit
    I need to offload an £8,800 balance from a Sainsbury's card that's 0% term is expiring. I can't seem to see what the likely credit limit will be on any of them, and all of the 'pre-approval' examples state £1,200 as the example figure, which is obviously a small chunk of the above debt. Is there any way of telling before application what credit limit I'll be offered? Or are there cards/lenders that tend to give higher limits?
    Thanks in advance
    • zx81
    • By zx81 28th Jun 17, 9:27 AM
    • 14,384 Posts
    • 15,172 Thanks
    zx81
    The £1200 is a regulatory illustration.

MBNA and Bcard anecdotally give higher limits than the average.
    • 79Million
    • By 79Million 28th Jun 17, 11:08 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    79Million
    The £1200 is a regulatory illustration.

MBNA and Bcard anecdotally give higher limits than the average.
    Originally posted by zx81
    Well thank you. I applied for an MBNA card and they have approved it with a £12,000 credit limit - great success!
    • Kanetaylor1994
    • By Kanetaylor1994 2nd Jul 17, 5:50 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Kanetaylor1994
    Hi, I currently have 2700 left on my tsb loan. I applied for a platnum Barclays card 0% interest for 14 month and got accepted. I would like to pay off my tsb loan with this card so I don't incurre any more charges and interest but I read on the Barclays website your not able to transfer balance to a debit card. Can anyone help and tell me the best way to go about paying my loan off please.
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 3rd Jul 17, 11:01 PM
    • 2,079 Posts
    • 953 Thanks
    Chrysalis
    money transfer cards are the best, an alternative way (if you have a balance transfer card) is to pay off with another CC over the phone (or on website) and then transfer to the 0% card.

A 0% purchase card if you pay it over the phone or on website wont have interest.

So depends on what type of transaction the 0% is for.

Out of the 3 methods 0% balance is the most complex method, its designed for transferring credit card balance's not loan's.
    • fantastiyk
    • By fantastiyk 5th Jul 17, 12:18 PM
    • 324 Posts
    • 580 Thanks
    fantastiyk
    Hi,
    I apologise if this has already been covered, I just can't find it.
    I've just been accepted for a £1400 balance transfer to a 0% card.
    I'm trying to reduce the interest I've been paying. I still have £5000 on credit cards that I'm paying interest on.
    Do I need to wait for a certain length of time to pass before I can apply for another interest free card ? If I do apply now will it be rejected? Or affect my credit rating?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 5th Jul 17, 12:20 PM
    • 14,384 Posts
    • 15,172 Thanks
    zx81
    You could apply now. However, multiple searches can affect your chances of acceptance - as can too much available credit.

You have no universal credit rating. Lenders take their own view on your circumstances.
    • bigbluedan
    • By bigbluedan 6th Jul 17, 1:12 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bigbluedan
    Hi, is the MSE soft search any guide as to what credit limit I may get ? I want to BT around £3800 from an MBNA and got 100% pre approved for some cards, using that figure ?

Also am I right in thinking that I cant BT from MBNA to Virgin Money ?
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 6th Jul 17, 1:45 PM
    • 2,495 Posts
    • 1,862 Thanks
    Candyapple
    Hi, is the MSE soft search any guide as to what credit limit I may get ? I want to BT around £3800 from an MBNA and got 100% pre approved for some cards, using that figure ?

Also am I right in thinking that I cant BT from MBNA to Virgin Money ?
    Originally posted by bigbluedan
    No, your credit limit will be based on many factors; any combination of the following factors might be taken into consideration:

- salary
    - amount of existing debt
    - amount of existing available credit
    - history of settled accounts
    - history of incurring defaults
    - number of recent applications for credit
    - whether single, married, widowed, separated or divorced
    - whether home-owner, tenant or living with parents
    - whether you're on the electoral register
    - current employment status
    - length of time with current employer

You should be able to BT from MBNA to Virgin because they are 2 separate companies.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    • OverExposed
    • By OverExposed 6th Jul 17, 2:20 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    OverExposed
    No, your credit limit will be based on many factors; any combination of the following factors might be taken into consideration:

- salary
    - amount of existing debt
    - amount of existing available credit
    - history of settled accounts
    - history of incurring defaults
    - number of recent applications for credit
    - whether single, married, widowed, separated or divorced
    - whether home-owner, tenant or living with parents
    - whether you're on the electoral register
    - current employment status
    - length of time with current employer

You should be able to BT from MBNA to Virgin because they are 2 separate companies.
    Originally posted by Candyapple
    regarding the above, what effect does the following have on credit card applications:
    - married vs single
    - homeowner vs living with parents
    - length of time with employer

I ask since in 2017 there has been a huge change to my circumstances:
    - i am now married (as of May-17)
    - i am now living in my own home which i own (mortgage) vs living with parents previously as of Apr-17 (i used to put length at address 20 years + but now I have moved into my own home this is only 6 months length at address)
    - i have been employed full time since university, first job was 5 years then moved to a different company in the same industry on a 30% higher salary where I have now been working 2 years 2 months (no employment gaps - straight move to new company one month to the next)

How will this all affect new applications for credit?
    Since I will soon look to pursue 1-2 new credit cards in order to transfer the balance on other cards for which the 0% is coming to an end

many thanks!
    Last edited by OverExposed; 06-07-2017 at 2:22 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,517Posts Today

8,280Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @mmhpi: REPORT PUBLISHED: We reveal how #regulators of essential services can level the playing field & better support consumers with #m?

• RT @mmhpi: "I have massive #anxiety about talking to strangers on the phone" - Regulators must improve the accessibility of essential serv?

• RT @itvMLshow: I know you may be sad that we have no more shows this year BUT you wont have to wait too long for our next LIVE SPECIAL whic?

• Follow Martin