Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Boost Your Income > How to find 2000 quickly...? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
How to find 2000 quickly...?
Closed Thread
Views: 9,175
# 1
Daffodil78
Old 05-01-2008, 2:06 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Question How to find 2000 quickly...?

Hello,

Me and my family need 2000 to enable us to move to a bigger house. (We want to girls to have a bedroom each now they are getting older and we also need to a new office!)

I've been reading through some of the ideas on how to generate extra income and I've lots of ideas now.

Just wondered if anyone else could add to the list of suggestions?

My partner and I are both self-employed so we are quite flexible in what we do.

I am a photographer and I am looking at providing new services within my business. One idea is fantasy fairy pictures. I can edit photographs to turn little girls into fairies and other fantasy creatures.

I also thought about making fairy items and ornaments. I have my own websites already that I can sell through so i don't have to outlay much for this.

All thoughts welcome.
# 2
destiny_star2006
Old 05-01-2008, 2:08 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Send a message via MSN to destiny_star2006

will u please send me ure website adress this sounds amazing!
I suggest you look at all the pages in this thread and then decide which one is best for you rather than ppl posting their ideas again!good luck
# 3
ringo_24601
Old 05-01-2008, 2:12 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Interesting idea you could expand on massively... mixing good quality photography with decent props and computer special effects.. you could have pirates, wizards, fantasy.. reminds me of a business in Windsor that will dress your family up in 1800s style clothes and produce authentic looking period photos.
The Following User Says Thank You to ringo_24601 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Sallys Savings
Old 05-01-2008, 2:54 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I think the fairy piccies would be lovely and as others have said you could expand with other ideas too.

With the fairy theme, you could make fairie doors (either wooden or from a mould. These can be put into bedrooms or at the bottom of the garden. I have seen the moulds on ebay...toothfairy pillows (there are rhymes on the internet that go with these too)...fairie dust...fairy costumes etc.

Good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to Sallys Savings For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
jackomdj
Old 05-01-2008, 3:00 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Do you do lots of photo's when you take them? We bought some (very expensive) & would have loved to have got the whole package. If you could get a digital frame & hard copy these onto the digital memory (so it could not get taken out of the frame & printed off) I am sure you would get a lot more sales?! I know we would have paid for this as well as the selection we got for the wall.

Nicky

Nicky
The Following User Says Thank You to jackomdj For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Daffodil78
Old 05-01-2008, 3:28 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Wow, thanks for the feedback!

Here's my website for those that asked.

*Link Removed*

It's my alternative photography website where I set-up a shop to sell cards I made. I was a bit late getting the Christmas cards out though and probably missed the good christmas sales. I am going to revamp soon to include blank greetings cards or even personalised ones.

I have also made keyrings with the fairy design on them. They are mainly for an alternative market, but it's so new right now, I need to do more research into where they will sell best. I was thinking the goth and emo shops and I will probably put them on ebay too.

Any suggestions or comments on my fairy would be appreciated too.

I also need a name for her... my Mum suggested Alyss.

Cheers

Last edited by jessicamb; 07-01-2008 at 8:46 PM. Reason: removing links
The Following User Says Thank You to Daffodil78 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
GavB79
Old 05-01-2008, 3:42 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Get a more professional looking website and you'll make a ton of money. It will be worth the investment
# 8
Daffodil78
Old 05-01-2008, 3:49 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavB79 View Post
Get a more professional looking website and you'll make a ton of money. It will be worth the investment
I'm not great on web design, this one seems to be working for me though.
What do you think is wrong with it? Is it too basic?

Cheers
# 9
ringo_24601
Old 05-01-2008, 3:50 PM

ouch, lower the JPG compression on your images, it makes them look out of focus on your gallery

The website is pretty reasonable, good gallery system, possibly not as slick as some out there (take a look at the one used by my wedding photographer.. i know he uses a free system http://www.arifgardner.co.uk/gallerywedding.php)

Your biggest problem seems to be typographic.. the use of fonts isn't amazing, especially the one at the top of the page - that needs to be remade. Why can I see jagged lines around it, did the author not anti-alias it against a white background?

I can spot 3, maybe 4 different fonts on your front page.. that needs to be reduced to 2 max

Last edited by ringo_24601; 05-01-2008 at 3:55 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ringo_24601 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Daffodil78
Old 05-01-2008, 3:56 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks for that. I had kept the jpg quality at 12, I hadn't realised it needed to be lower.
Should i do this with all my images or just some?
If you don't mind could you tell me which ones looked out of focus. I obviously want my site to look as good as possible, so constructive criticism like this is always welcome.
# 11
Daffodil78
Old 05-01-2008, 4:01 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I will take a closer look at the fonts too.
# 12
Jem8472
Old 05-01-2008, 4:02 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Send a message via MSN to Jem8472 Send a message via Yahoo to Jem8472

I dont htink there is much wrong with the website. I like the fact it is not stuffed full with flash animation like a lot are now. I find a lot of wesite use far too many different things like java, flash etc and the website ends up being too busy and over crowded.

One thing that I like to find out on a website is the cost of the service I am looking at. I know with photographs the cost can depend what the customer wants but haivng some basic prices on there would help.
Jeremy

Married 9th May 2009
The Following User Says Thank You to Jem8472 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
ringo_24601
Old 07-01-2008, 7:42 PM

How about this for an example of jpg compression making it look out of focus?
*link removed*

It just has no distinct sharp edges.. i can't tell where it was meant to be focused on - any way you could have larger versions pop up when you click them?

Just remember - lots of people have broadband now. You've compressed that image down to 45kb .. that's tiny! Double the filesize and barely no one will notice the difference in time it takes to appear, yet the quality will be a lot higher. I will generally never use less than 80% compression on a web image. After all, image is everything - especially on a photography site

Last edited by jessicamb; 07-01-2008 at 8:46 PM.
# 14
Daffodil78
Old 07-01-2008, 8:01 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi, thanks for that. I totally get what you mean. The more recent images are'nt as bad, but i need to go through and check all my old ones now to make sure they are all up to scrach!

Oh well, it will be worth it in the end.

Cheers
# 15
barrymung
Old 07-01-2008, 8:03 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I don't think there's an awful lot wrong with the site at all. Perhaps it could do with some adjusting here and there but nothing drastic.

I seems that your business will have local appeal; I assume you won't travel to the other end of the Country to take pictures?

You should therefore advertise locally. Perhaps approach a couple of local schools or brownie groups to see if they'd like to arrange sittings in return for a cut of the profits.

Once you have proven the idea works and is scalable, I see no reason why you couldn't franchise it across the Country, giving each frachisee an exclusive area to operate in.

Edit: Take out a stall at your local school fete to display your portfolio and take bookings. Offer to give 10% of the proceeds to the school or whatever. Display this fact on a big sign-it will go down well with parents..

Arrange sittings in yout local supermarket..etc..etc..the list is endless!

Last edited by barrymung; 07-01-2008 at 8:07 PM.
# 16
jessicamb
Old 07-01-2008, 8:49 PM

ADVERTISING

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: Sorry, this site is free of advertising and we ask people not to advertise their own services/websites/ebay sales (please see this rule). I have asked Board Guides to move any they see. If you have any questions about this policy please email abuse@moneysavingexpert.com.
The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese
# 17
ringo_24601
Old 08-01-2008, 10:43 AM

No offence, but the link I posted was not to my own website, it was the OPs. Since it is not my own site and I have no links to the OP, how is this advertising? You have not censored the other link i pasted to my wedding photographer.

May I suggest more tact from the board guides
# 18
Sallys Savings
Old 08-01-2008, 11:24 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

How about contacting stage/dance groups too?
# 19
paulag555
Old 09-01-2008, 5:09 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil78 View Post
Hello,

Me and my family need 2000 to enable us to move to a bigger house. (We want to girls to have a bedroom each now they are getting older and we also need to a new office!)

I've been reading through some of the ideas on how to generate extra income and I've lots of ideas now.

Just wondered if anyone else could add to the list of suggestions?

My partner and I are both self-employed so we are quite flexible in what we do.

I am a photographer and I am looking at providing new services within my business. One idea is fantasy fairy pictures. I can edit photographs to turn little girls into fairies and other fantasy creatures.

I also thought about making fairy items and ornaments. I have my own websites already that I can sell through so i don't have to outlay much for this.

All thoughts welcome.

Turning little girls into fairies on pictures is a fantastic idea! They would make absolutely lovely gifts!

Paula

# 20
paulag555
Old 09-01-2008, 5:15 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem8472 View Post
I dont htink there is much wrong with the website. I like the fact it is not stuffed full with flash animation like a lot are now. I find a lot of wesite use far too many different things like java, flash etc and the website ends up being too busy and over crowded.

One thing that I like to find out on a website is the cost of the service I am looking at. I know with photographs the cost can depend what the customer wants but haivng some basic prices on there would help.

I agree, I always look for prices with things like this. Just out of interest, how much do you charge for the fairy garden type pictures? Do you come and photograph children or do people send you an existing picture and you create it from that?

Paula

Closed Thread