Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    mumof3girls
    0 WOW
    free fresh yeast (merged)
    • 22nd Jun 05, 9:05 AM
    0 WOW
    free fresh yeast (merged) 22nd Jun 05 at 9:05 AM
    MoneySavingExpert update note June 2009:

While this discussion thread began in 2005, and various people have reported Asda no longer providing free yeast, others have said their local supermarket does still give it away, so if you're in there anyway there's no harm in asking.

Back to the original post...

-----------------------

while serving a customer at the weekend (asda) they had some yeast in a bread bag. i asked about it and they said it was free due to old old bread making rule/code. i did check just in case and yes it was free.
    the customer said that sainsburys charge for but shouldn`t really and they also said that it is free at tesco.
    so get bread making by hand!!!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-06-2009 at 11:00 AM.
    Smile and be happy, things can usually get worse!
Page 11
    • Phythisisa
    • By Phythisisa 9th Jun 17, 11:58 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Phythisisa
    Yeast for Free
    There is an ancient by-law that says that fresh yeast should always be shared or given rather than sold. I am not sure whether that still applies. I am 65 and have always been able to obtain fresh yeast from any bakery. When I lived in London I used to get it from a local Polish Baker. Here in Liverpool I have had free yeast from both Tesco and Sainsbury in the past. You need so little, it seems ridiculous to buy a big block. Recently I usually go to Tesco. Of course you need a bakery where they are baking on the premises, not a retail outlet.
    • LemonMelon
    • By LemonMelon 15th Jun 17, 4:02 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    LemonMelon
    Inspired by this thread, I tried this today at my local Tescos and yes, they do still give free fresh yeast! I have only ever baked bread with dried yeast, so I'm excited to give this a go.
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 15th Jun 17, 4:28 PM
    • 12,160 Posts
    • 39,174 Thanks
    sarah1972
    Inspired by this thread, I tried this today at my local Tescos and yes, they do still give free fresh yeast! I have only ever baked bread with dried yeast, so I'm excited to give this a go.
    Originally posted by LemonMelon
    I was told in my local Sainsbury's that its against health & safety laws to give it out now as people would be able to sue if there was something wrong with it.

I asked if all supermarkets were the same and he said yes, its not allowed anymore.

Seems its been like that since 2007 http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=618967
    Last edited by sarah1972; 15-06-2017 at 4:30 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5
    I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,147Posts Today

7,362Users online

Martin's Twitter