Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving > How do you remove mould from bathroom sealant (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
How do you remove mould from bathroom sealant
Closed Thread
Views: 135,523
# 1
DSR
Old 20-06-2005, 9:50 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Question How do you remove mould from bathroom sealant

Can anyone advise on the best way to remove mould from bathroom sealant or is it better to remove it and re-apply a new seal?

I have tried neat bleach & mildew removal spray which only slightly reduce the mould.
# 2
robowen
Old 20-06-2005, 10:37 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

It sounds like the silicone was poor quality or not meant for bathrooms.

I would remove it and buy best quality bathroom sealant. Don't buy any of this 99p rubbish thats around these days.

rob
If only everything in life was as reliable...AS ME !!
robowen 5/6/2005

''Never take an idiot anywhere with you. You'll always find one when you get there.''
The Following User Says Thank You to robowen For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
shrek101
Old 20-06-2005, 11:31 PM

I agree most of the cheap silicon isnt all that good, but good quality only about 2 to 3 more tends to dry really quickly and has better mold resistance in it.
The Following User Says Thank You to shrek101 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
dee2005
Old 20-06-2005, 11:33 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Before you replace it, try rubbing it with lemon juice added to water. That might work.
The Following User Says Thank You to dee2005 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
N9eav
Old 21-06-2005, 6:48 AM

Re-seal with a mould resistant silicone. Most bleaches and cleaners turn the mould orange.
NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
The Following User Says Thank You to N9eav For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
John_M_Business
Old 21-06-2005, 12:48 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Yes. It'd be easier to re-seal (just strip it away, clean the area and then pop some new sealant down - it's actually a pretty quick job).

Also if the sealant is round the bath or shower tray then a good piece of advice I was given is that if it's a bath - half-fill it with water so that the sealant will 'set' with weight in the bath (and therefore will not pull away when you climb in), for a shower tray, just put something of weight in it too.

Cheers
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to John_M_Business For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Bendybops19
Old 21-06-2005, 12:57 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_M_Business
Yes. It'd be easier to re-seal (just strip it away, clean the area and then pop some new sealant down - it's actually a pretty quick job).

Also if the sealant is round the bath or shower tray then a good piece of advice I was given is that if it's a bath - half-fill it with water so that the sealant will 'set' with weight in the bath (and therefore will not pull away when you climb in), for a shower tray, just put something of weight in it too.

Cheers

That is a really good idea!

I gave up jogging for my health when my thighs kept rubbing together and setting fire to my knickers

Last edited by Bendybops19; 21-06-2005 at 1:00 PM.
# 8
robowen
Old 21-06-2005, 1:07 PM

yes it is a good idea !

however.....it is standard practice when fitting a bath.

rob
robowen 5/6/2005

''Never take an idiot anywhere with you. You'll always find one when you get there.''
# 9
John_M_Business
Old 21-06-2005, 5:09 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by robowen
yes it is a good idea !

however.....it is standard practice when fitting a bath.

rob
... For builders / decoraters - yes! For the general public... er... well... I didn't know it the first and second times I sealed the bath!
The Following User Says Thank You to John_M_Business For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Vic_980
Old 21-06-2005, 5:15 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Use this:

http://www.hi-glitz.com/hd-ms.html

HG Mould spray. We use it on our shower seals once a month and it's like magic and doesn't stain anything. Most DIY stores stock it for about 5.

As suggested, it is better not to use cheaper sealant. But even the most expensive silicone sealant will eventually get mould on.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vic_980 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
DSR
Old 21-06-2005, 6:54 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks to you all for all your excellent advise.
I will try using lemon as suggested by Dee2005 and if that does not do the trick I will reseal using a top end silicone seal.

DSR
# 12
flea72
Old 21-06-2005, 8:17 PM

roll up a piece of kitchen roll, and lay along the sealant, then pour bleach on top, and leave for 10mins - then just lift the kitchen roll off, bin it, and then give the sealant a quick swish with some water - brings it up like new, every time
# 13
Str4berr3
Old 21-06-2005, 8:21 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

why does my sealant always come off when it gets wet after a couple of times? :confused:
# 14
jockettuk
Old 21-06-2005, 8:31 PM

what the best way to strip the sealant using a knife etc might damage the bath!
Those we love don't go away,They walk beside us every day,Unseen, unheard, but always near,
Still loved, still missed and very dear
Our thoughts are ever with you,Though you have passed away.And those who loved you dearly,
Are thinking of you today.
# 15
robowen
Old 21-06-2005, 11:51 PM

If your silicone comes off when wet, it's probably not been put onto a clean surface to start with and has cured without fully adhering to the surface, or it was poor quality silicone.
You need to remove it completely, clean the area to be redone. Let the area dry out. Fill the bath half full. Then reapply the new silicone.

As for removing it, this is difficult to describe and everyone does it differently.
I use a new stanley blade to cut along the tile edge. I then cut out as much as possible with the blade. Then I have a sharp narrow wood chisel that I hold upto the silicone edge on the bath and carefully run it along the bath under the silicone, this lifts it up. You can scrape as much as you like providing the new silicone bead will cover it up.

I'm not sure why silicone needs to be cleaned. Mines good stuff and has been on for about 5 years. Its not discoloured in any way.

I think if you remove as much water from the area after your shower/bath it helps.

I always use the drying towel to give the shower cubicle a quick rub down to remove water after my shower. It takes me 15 secs to do and my cubicle looks the same as when I made it 5 years ago. Plus I've never had to bleach my silicone.

rob
robowen 5/6/2005

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robowen For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Str4berr3
Old 22-06-2005, 12:11 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I always do dry the bathroom sides everytime it gets wet, but eventually the sealant comes off when i wipe it dry. I have'nt replaced the sealant from the ones the previous owner put on, but i did try to do it once only to find out that i bought the wrong thing - it looked like cement and crumbled away when it got wet!!!
# 17
jockettuk
Old 22-06-2005, 4:47 PM

i want to remove it as eventually i will sell my house and it will look tidier without the mould on lol
Those we love don't go away,They walk beside us every day,Unseen, unheard, but always near,
Still loved, still missed and very dear
Our thoughts are ever with you,Though you have passed away.And those who loved you dearly,
Are thinking of you today.
# 18
zain
Old 27-06-2008, 9:26 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Does anyone know if silicone remover works. I want to try to get rid of the old sealant and i am struggling with a knife etc?
# 19
TimBuckTeeth
Old 27-06-2008, 7:26 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by zain View Post
Does anyone know if silicone remover works. I want to try to get rid of the old sealant and i am struggling with a knife etc?
Silicone remover is OK to tidy up after removing most of the sealant with a knife. I don't think it would work too well if applied direct to full thickness sealant, it does say on the instructions on the one I have to remove as much sealant as possible first.

Last time I used a wide snap-off blade knife (allows a longer blade and better angle than a stanley knife) and a window scraper.

I used a bleach spray afterwards to clean any mould from the gap, then wipe down with meths to remove any residue and help dry the gap.

The shape of the new sealant should not be recessed or concave so that water will sit on it as that can lead to mould.

Last edited by TimBuckTeeth; 27-06-2008 at 7:30 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TimBuckTeeth For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
zain
Old 27-06-2008, 10:35 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks - managed to get most of it removed without the need for a silicone remover. Anyway, I just wondered whether it is ok to give it a second coat of sealant the next day to make absolute sure or is that not usually necessary if it is done right the first time?
Is there any harm in doing it?
Closed Thread