Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Insurance & Life Assurance > Travel insurance for children only (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Travel insurance for children only
Closed Thread
Views: 33,201
# 1
dly397
Old 20-06-2005, 1:49 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Smile Travel insurance for children only

I am trying to insure my 9 year old daughter for our trip to France in August. I already have 'free' travel insurance with my bank account via LloydsTSB, but whilst it covers my wife and step-daughter, it doesn't cover my daughter, who lives with her mother.

I have been trying to find an insurer who will insure children only, but all the ones I have found require me to be insured on the same policy, which I don't want to do as I already have what I need via my bank account.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Dave
The Following User Says Thank You to dly397 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
gooismeid
Old 20-06-2005, 1:56 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Have you tried asking the Lloyds/TSB insurer how much it might be to extend your policy to cover your daughter? We're in a similar position in that I have travel insurance free with my A&L account - extending it to cover kids is £48 per year on this one.
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.
# 3
Unbelievable
Old 20-06-2005, 3:36 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

We did this through HSBC insurance (a few years ago though) when Lloyds didn't automatically offer family cover - worth a try.
# 4
looobylou
Old 22-06-2005, 12:27 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Child's Travel Insurance

Does anyone know if it is necessary to get a child insured for a holiday if the parents have policies that don't cover the children? If so any recommendations?
# 5
Savvy_Sue
Old 22-06-2005, 8:49 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by looobylou
Does anyone know if it is necessary to get a child insured for a holiday if the parents have policies that don't cover the children? If so any recommendations?
If the holiday is anywhere abroad, I'd say it was essential to have cover for everyone, you never know when a child will be taken ill!

And my first port of call would be to ask the company covering the adults if they would extend the policy for the child(ren), if not for the whole year then at least for the duration of the holiday.
I'm a Board Guide on the Cutting Tax; Charities; Small Biz & Charity Organisers; and Silver Savers boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. However, do remember, Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts.

Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com

New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?

Real Life is taking a lot more time than usual
# 6
Mister_G
Old 28-08-2007, 1:44 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thumbs up Child Only Travel Insurance

Endsleigh Insurance have no problem quoting for child only travel insurance and will cost around £10 for a 2 week trip. I have just paid £6.35 for my 12 yr old daughter's trip to Egypt next year.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mister_G For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
MarkyMarkD
Old 27-09-2007, 8:04 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Thanks for the Endsleigh tip.

An even more complicated situation arises where your child is under 2. Hardly anyone seems to want to insure children under 2 on their own.

And I can get my daughter insured on our free A&L policy until the renewal date after her 2nd birthday - which is unfortunately 6 days after her 2nd birthday, and while we are on holiday!

Due to my appalling timing, I'm going to have to buy a policy from Endsleigh for me and her - although I'm covered elsewhere - for this holiday. This will cost £15.59 for 2 weeks whereas it would only be £7.80 for her on her own if she was over 2 when the holiday begins. D'oh!

If anyone has any better workarounds, I am all ears!
# 8
silvercar
Old 27-09-2007, 8:15 PM

try norwich union direct, they were happy to quote me (or "quote me happy" as they say) for my son last year. I think american express online also will
# 9
MarkyMarkD
Old 27-09-2007, 10:04 PM

NU direct won't accept a proposer under 16 online; Amex won't do anything online with kids on it.
# 10
CharleneUK
Old 27-01-2008, 10:57 PM

Send a message via MSN to CharleneUK

I've just had a quote from Endsleigh for my three kids, as hubby and I already have a free one with A&L, like some posters here

Cheers.
"I did then, what I knew then. And when I knew better, I did better"

Timberlake Hussy Clique Member No 2
# 11
MarkyMarkD
Old 31-01-2008, 9:52 PM

The November holiday got cancelled so we cancelled the Endsleigh policy for me and my daughter, and then took out a new one for her alone in January. All worked out OK in the end.
# 12
ConsumerWarrior
Old 01-05-2008, 2:04 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_G View Post
Endsleigh Insurance have no problem quoting for child only travel insurance and will cost around £10 for a 2 week trip. I have just paid £6.35 for my 12 yr old daughter's trip to Egypt next year.

BAD NEWS!!!!!!

Endsleigh will no longer insure anyone under 16 travelling without an insured adult. Ive just asked them and the reason is in the last 2 weeks they have new underwriters.....DISMAY !!

I want my daughter to travel to Florida in July with a friend family, they already have an annual cover with someone so I now plan to insure one of them on a new policy in order to get my daughter covered.

WHY dont travel insurers want to cover under 16's?

There must be a market for this, maybe Martin Lewis should start his own under 16's travel insurance company?????
# 13
MarkyMarkD
Old 02-05-2008, 12:26 AM

Just checked - luckily the policy I bought in December was an annual one so little one is covered until the end of 2008.

I believe Post Office Insurance will cover children on their own policy. Check it out!
# 14
silvercar
Old 02-05-2008, 9:47 AM

Sometimes these "free offers" with paying current accounts don't work out so free.

We turned down the offer to upgrade our bank account at £15 a month, which would have supposedly given us loads of "free" extras like travel insurance.

£15 a month = £180 for the year.

For £120 I got american express annual travel insurance for the whole family. It covers the children when they are on holiday independantly as well as with us. Both are away with others this year and one also has a holday planned with mates, add to that our own holidays and in the long run it is a much better deal.
# 15
MarkyMarkD
Old 02-05-2008, 11:03 PM

The A&L "free offer" is actually free, so silvercar's comments don't necessarily apply to it. But it's definitely good to calculate the true cost and true value of bundled account offers.
# 16
jonesMUFCforever
Old 02-05-2008, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercar View Post
Sometimes these "free offers" with paying current accounts don't work out so free.

We turned down the offer to upgrade our bank account at £15 a month, which would have supposedly given us loads of "free" extras like travel insurance.

£15 a month = £180 for the year.

For £120 I got american express annual travel insurance for the whole family. It covers the children when they are on holiday independantly as well as with us. Both are away with others this year and one also has a holday planned with mates, add to that our own holidays and in the long run it is a much better deal.
But you get other things for you £15 as well? Do you get mobile phone insurance? Do you get motor breakdown insurance etc?
What goes around - comes around
give lots and you will always receive lots
# 17
ConsumerWarrior
Old 03-06-2008, 7:13 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Finally got daughter covered for America trip on her own by the GMB union, had forgotten they offer that service and they charged £18 for single trip.no problem.
# 18
Demama
Old 03-06-2008, 9:23 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thumbs up Child's Insurance

My hubby and I too have cover from LLoyds TSB, but managed to get my son insurance for his travel with us at the end of June.

two weeks (15 days cover) to Egypt is only £7.18 and that covers delays, lost baggage etc.

The comany is https://insuremore.co.uk

Hope this helps.

23 sleeps till Sharm El Sheik.....yipee
# 19
PhilCCFC
Old 03-07-2008, 3:20 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMarkD View Post
I believe Post Office Insurance will cover children on their own policy. Check it out!
They do and I have just bought my kids policies via Quidco!

£22.50 each policy but you should get £9.96 back on each policy.
They say that football is a religion, if this is true I worship at the Exacta Stadium, Chester
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PhilCCFC For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
Voyager2002
Old 30-07-2008, 11:48 AM

Another company that seems to do this kind of business is www.gotravelinsurance.co.uk

I am halfway through quoting, and it looks as if three weeks cover for my DS (15) in Europe will cost all of eight pounds. Of course, I don't know how good they would be if I needed to make a claim.
Closed Thread