Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > I wanna buy-it or do-it > Can anyone tell me how to open Ford Focus bonnet?... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Can anyone tell me how to open Ford Focus bonnet? *emergency*
Closed Thread
Views: 93,349
# 1
WOW Factor 0
Ember999
Old 23-12-2007, 4:07 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Exclamation Can anyone tell me how to open Ford Focus bonnet? *emergency*

Hi

I need help and have no other avenue to ask anyone who may be able to help. I have recently bought a Ford Focus and have no users manual. I need to open the bonnet to fill up water and cannot find any way to open the bonnet! No bonnet release catch in the cabin at all...how do I open the bonnet? I hope someone can help....
~What you send out comes back to thee thricefold!~
~
# 2
southernscouser
Old 23-12-2007, 4:10 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

On the front grill there is a Ford badge. This should rotate when twisted.

Put the key in, turn to the left, then turn to the right and hold it there. Then life the bonnet with your other hand.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to southernscouser For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
southernscouser
Old 23-12-2007, 4:12 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

What exactly are you topping up by the way? The windscreen washer?

If so don't just use plain water as it tends to go stagnant and smells whenever you use the washer!

If it's coolant you are putting in, make sure you put antifreeze in or you could end up with problems if it gets any colder.
The Following User Says Thank You to southernscouser For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Ember999
Old 23-12-2007, 4:46 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernscouser View Post
On the front grill there is a Ford badge. This should rotate when twisted.

Put the key in, turn to the left, then turn to the right and hold it there. Then life the bonnet with your other hand.

Thank You so very much! I was getting in a right state thinking I couldn't top up my windscreen wash...It worked! I would have never guessed to twist the ford badge on the front. We searched in the car for about 30 minutes and both hubby and I were getting stressed! as the windscreen wash was empty! and need to drive tomorrow.

Thank You!
Merry Christmas xx
~
The Following User Says Thank You to Ember999 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Ember999
Old 23-12-2007, 4:47 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernscouser View Post
What exactly are you topping up by the way? The windscreen washer?

If so don't just use plain water as it tends to go stagnant and smells whenever you use the washer!

If it's coolant you are putting in, make sure you put antifreeze in or you could end up with problems if it gets any colder.
Yeah, was needing to top up the screen wash - I did use a screen wash diluted, thanks!

The coolant should be okay, level looks fine from when they serviced it before I bought it.

But thanks for checking I was doing it right anyway.

MSE is great and so are you!

Thanks xx
~
The Following User Says Thank You to Ember999 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
ukjoel
Old 25-12-2007, 7:41 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default focus

The key at the front was put in as a security feature as it meant that without the key nowone could break a window, open your boot and hotwire the car. Technology has now moved on and its been phased out as having a solid metal casing at the front of your car at precisely the same height as a childs head for some strange reason brought their NCAP rating right down.

J
# 7
barron hard up
Old 27-12-2007, 6:34 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukjoel View Post
The key at the front was put in as a security feature as it meant that without the key nowone could break a window, open your boot and hotwire the car. Technology has now moved on and its been phased out as having a solid metal casing at the front of your car at precisely the same height as a childs head for some strange reason brought their NCAP rating right down.

J
You would think by now that parents would know not to let their little kids out where the cars are... nothing changes.
The Following User Says Thank You to barron hard up For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Ember999
Old 27-12-2007, 9:01 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukjoel View Post

J
I checked the NCAP rating before buying having been in a head-on collision with a drunk driver who was driving the WRONG way down a dual carriageway back in August....their NCAP rating is excellent for safety and the issue you point out to me does not matter to me, as safety for passengers in the car matter more than issue's with children who would be outside the car and are the responsibility of their own parents to control and keep away from cars...the security feature sounds good, it shouldn't affect the NCAP rating as kids are nothing to do with safety of a vehicle, apart from the safety of kids who may be inside the vehicle..
~
# 9
geordie joe
Old 27-12-2007, 9:34 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ember999 View Post
the issue you point out to me does not matter to me, as safety for passengers in the car matter more than issue's with children who would be outside the car and are the responsibility of their own parents to control and keep away from cars...
Are you serious? If you hit, and killed a child even if it was the childs fault, but it was this feature that killed the child, would you really think "it is the parents responsibility not mine"

Sounds to me like you wouldn't bat an eyelid if you killed a child as long as you could convince yourself it was the childs parents to blame because they didn't keep them away from your car.
# 10
Lorian
Old 27-12-2007, 9:37 PM

There are NCAP ratings for car safety for occupants and also pedestrians, and safer cars in both catagories should be commended.
# 11
Ember999
Old 27-12-2007, 10:02 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordie joe View Post
Are you serious? If you hit, and killed a child even if it was the childs fault, but it was this feature that killed the child, would you really think "it is the parents responsibility not mine"

Sounds to me like you wouldn't bat an eyelid if you killed a child as long as you could convince yourself it was the childs parents to blame because they didn't keep them away from your car.
Not at all, I would be devastated if any child was injured by any car driver but it is the responsibility of parents to ensure their children don't run out into the road. Car security or safety shouldn't be compromised for the 'risk' of kids running out into traffic, although I am aware that they do sometimes do that. My safety when i was in a crash was more important than a feature outside the car as it would be for you if you were in a crash.
~
# 12
Ember999
Old 27-12-2007, 10:06 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorian View Post
There are NCAP ratings for car safety for occupants and also pedestrians, and safer cars in both catagories should be commended.
I totally agree...I think I only saw the NCAP rating for safety inside the vehicle when I was looking at the rating for my car.
~
# 13
geordie joe
Old 27-12-2007, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Not at all, I would be devastated if any child was injured by any car driver but it is the responsibility of parents to ensure their children don't run out into the road.
And it is the drivers responsibility not to hit them.

Quote:
Car security or safety shouldn't be compromised for the 'risk' of kids running out into traffic,
You put car security above the safety of children.

Quote:
although I am aware that they do sometimes do that. My safety when i was in a crash was more important than a feature outside the car as it would be for you if you were in a crash.
Yes but I would also hate to be injured by a feature on a car that the owner knew would make any accident worse but still kept it.
# 14
Ember999
Old 27-12-2007, 10:32 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordie joe View Post
And it is the drivers responsibility not to hit them.

You put car security above the safety of children.

Yes but I would also hate to be injured by a feature on a car that the owner knew would make any accident worse but still kept it.
Yes, it is the drivers responsibility to not hit a child and I for one have a safe 20 year driving history with no points, no speeding tickets and no hitting children etc...I do know that I often read in the press of children being killed by drivers through the fault of the child running into the road - this is not the drivers fault. Period. I am sure the devastation this causes a poor driver who has had the misfortune to run into a child must be devastating and one would hope you would understand in that situation it is not the drivers fault, but the childs or the parents, this is a fact else the child wouldn't have been in the road in the first place!

Yes, I do put the security of my car as paramount. I drive well and safely to do my best to ensure the safety of children, as I always have done and will continue to do. Safety features on a car do not stop bad drivers who almost kill innocent people like me or innocent children who make mistakes.

If you were injured by a feature on a car, it would be the fault of either the driver or you. The driver if they drove badly or were drunk (was it a Seat Leon's fault a drunken woman drove it head on into me? no! it was the drunk driving it) and would it be a car's features fault if you walked out into the path of an oncoming vehicle either because you didn't look or were drunk? No, it would be your fault. You can only protect the public so far, as they have a duty to protect their own lives just as car manufacturer's have a duty to make vehicles secure from lazy thieves who wish to steal what others have worked hard to pay for and they want for free.
~
# 15
chelseapete
Old 15-02-2009, 9:22 PM
MoneySaving Convert

well thank you , we had the same problem and could not find the answer anywhere and then the search engine sent me here, thank you again for the answer. CP
# 16
Alan7785
Old 22-05-2009, 4:51 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thanks for this very helpful response.

I've just experienced the same problem with a hire car in Mallorca - again with no user manual available.

Incidentally, it took me a while to find the windscreen water bottle, even once I'd managed to open the bonnet.

It anyone else has the same problem, then the windscreen water bottle can be found on the extreme top left of the engine compartment, as you look at it. It has a small blue cover.

Again many thanks for your help,

Alan
Closed Thread