Papier Mache & other free hobbies for all ages

SealedPots.jpg
Welcome to the papier mache & other free hobbies fan club :beer:

Hobbies for kids and adults can cost a fortune. Save your cash, get a free hobby that the whole family can enjoy.

As a DFW I have also been a great fan of recycling and that doesn't always mean separating green, clear and brown glass or putting your old papers in the appropriate bins.

As you'll see from the above, several of us on here have already started by making sealed pots and banks for 2008.

EASY PAPER MACHE ANIMAL BANK RECIPE - NOT TOXIC

1 inflated balloon
egg carton or similar for snouts/noses/feet
scrap paper for ears, tails etc
paint for decorating - emulsion, poster paints etc
(or use coloured paper on final layer of paper mache.)
1 cup flour
3 cups water
shredded newspapers/magazines/old bank statements or bills (once you pay them)

mix 1 cup water with one cup plain flour into a thick paste
boil other 2 cups of water then stir in the above
simmer for a few minutes, keep stirring (like making sauce)
cool the paste before dipping the paper and sticking it to the balloon
allow your creation to dry before painting it
pierce top to burst the balloon and cut the slot for feeding in the money

EASY SALT DOUGH RECIPE - NON TOXIC

2 cups plain flour
1 cup salt
1 cup water

Mix the above into dough, knead on a lightly floured surface for about 10 minutes before using, then create your masterpieces.
Drying before painting and varnishing can take a couple of days, or you can dry them out in the oven at a low temperature just like baking biscuits.

Feel free to join in with your papier mache suggestions and other free or recycling crafts and hobbies. :j
I reserve the right not to spend.
The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024

Spends to date: £632.45

Comments

• This sounds really bad.

After every christmas I steal other family members cards so I can take the pretty stickers etc for my homemade cards for the next year. I also steal the ribbons etc off christmas crackers!!!
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,935
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I get the old cards and ribbons to make into gift tags for the following year and old wrapping paper is great for paper mache if you remember to wear rubber gloves so you don't turn your hands red, green, gold, black :)

Old tissue paper - crush it into little balls and stick it all over your paper mache snowman. How do you think we get that nice bobbly snowball effect? :rotfl:

Thanks for posting here. Maybe it will prove to be a handy thread as finding hobbies and activities to amuse children during school holidays always costs a fortune, even without counting in the cost of an actual 'go away for a fortnight' holiday :)

• Surfbabe
    Surfbabe Posts: 2,281
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    nykmedia wrote: »
    I get the old cards and ribbons to make into gift tags for the following year and old wrapping paper is great for paper mache if you remember to wear rubber gloves so you don't turn your hands red, green, gold, black :)Toothpaste does the trick of getting stains off hands - I should know having made mine blakc the afternoon I was working a bar at a big wedding in the evening!!!!

Old tissue paper - crush it into little balls and stick it all over your paper mache snowman. How do you think we get that nice bobbly snowball effect? :rotfl:

Thanks for posting here. Maybe it will prove to be a handy thread as finding hobbies and activities to amuse children during school holidays always costs a fortune, even without counting in the cost of an actual 'go away for a fortnight' holiday :)

Thanks NYKMedia - I have turned Pete the Penguin round by the way but I can;t work out how to upload it again.!!! 2128845674http://www.flickr.com/photos/16354411@N03/2128845674/
    :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • Frugaldom
    Forumite
    I think it's part of Pete's character to be a little bit mischievous. That's why I left him that way LOL Penny the Penguin is being painted this weekend, Little Pig (not yet photographed) has been claimed by grand daughter for Christmas and Cash Cow, as per other thread, is for Ca's Christmas :)

LOL You just picked up the wrong link... here's Pete for you... no it's not, I lost him!!! ROFL Trying again.... 2128845674_06c0ab7c02_s.jpg YES! Here he is! :T :beer:

• Surfbabe
    Surfbabe Posts: 2,281
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thats fine I'm quite happy for him to be the facing the other way !!!!!!
  • sweet baskets ~

bored of giving just a box of sweets? make a paper mache basket. Use a ballon but only half cover it. When dry trim it into a basket shape. Add a handle (either ribbon or platted paper) line with tissue paper and then fill with sweets. Because these are being placed in loose you could get cheap one for lidl/aldi too :). Each basket can be painted/custom made for the recipient. You can use this for so many things though ~ trick or treat baskets/gift baskets/pot puri baskets... the lists endless :D
  • spud30
    spud30 Posts: 16,872 Forumite
    I made a paper mache money box this week with the kids at school.

I'm not that pleased with it, but I will paint it andd see how it looks. I might make another while we're off school :D
    Is it better to aim for the stars and hit a tree or aim for a tree and land in its branches :think:
    Loves being a Wonderbra friend :kisses3:
  • Frugaldom
    Forumite
    sweet baskets ~

bored of giving just a box of sweets? make a paper mache basket. Use a ballon but only half cover it. When dry trim it into a basket shape. Add a handle (either ribbon or platted paper) line with tissue paper and then fill with sweets. Because these are being placed in loose you could get cheap one for lidl/aldi too :). Each basket can be painted/custom made for the recipient. You can use this for so many things though ~ trick or treat baskets/gift baskets/pot puri baskets... the lists endless :D

I never thought of half baskets but I did do easter egg shapes by cutting the completed paper mache balloon in half and my sister makes brilliant pinatas

• postingalwaysposting thanks for your great idea, I'm definately going to give this a go next year & may even do one for all the members of my family for christmas 2008 :)
    I love knitting & while I was paying off my debts I got through my very large wool stash :o & now i have no wool left (but plenty of scarves, gloves, hats & socks :D) I'm trying not to buy any more wool or craft things till I've reached my savings goal. Anyway lol something that I've read about before is knitting things using cut up plastic bags so I'm going to try & find the site again as this would stop my knitting cravings! (or if anyone knows a good link that would be great)
    Other free hobbies I can think of using recycled items are making rag rugs, cardmaking & origami, will try & think of some more, would like to try cardmaking too.
    Nyk, do you know how your sister makes pinatas please, it sounds interesting, thanks for starting this thread :)
  • sweetpea03 wrote: »
    Anyway lol something that I've read about before is knitting things using cut up plastic bags so I'm going to try & find the site again as this would stop my knitting cravings! (or if anyone knows a good link that would be great)

your wish is my comand ~ linky daily mail ~ linky a blog
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport