Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • stphnstevey
    • By stphnstevey 20th Dec 07, 9:38 PM
    • 2,720Posts
    • 446Thanks
    stphnstevey
    Shower dripping
    • 20th Dec 07, 9:38 PM
    Shower dripping 20th Dec 07 at 9:38 PM
    I have what I think is a 'Sirrus TS1850 Stratus Shower', but I didn't install it so I have only been able to gather this from looking at pictures on the net.

The shower will turn off, but needs to tightened as tight as possible or continually drips.

I am doing a plumbing course, but I am only in my first few months. I can't see any obvious isolating valves to isolate the supply and it disappears immediately into the wall, with no obvious way of accessing the pipes.

The Combi-boiler feeds it with hot water.

Asking the tutor at college only gets - all showers are different, it depends on your shower and you need to read the instructions, which I don't have.

Is it just a washer or are these cartridges? Could it be limescale due to hard water? Shall I just dismantle it as far as I can and clean the parts?

Any help welcome as dripping is getting annoying!
Page 1
  • Yorkie59
    • 29th Dec 07, 3:34 PM
    • 29th Dec 07, 3:34 PM
    Not my SQEP but in my experience with a cold feed (not from combi-boiler) shower, the internal plastic reservoir sprang a leak below the heating element. Not a good idea & the leak wasn't really the turning off. In your case it may be a washer but until you finish your course (or ask the tutor for help) you may want to minimise use.
    Good Luck.
    Yorkie

SQEP - Suitably Qualified & Experienced Personnel
    • stphnstevey
    • By stphnstevey 29th Dec 07, 4:37 PM
    • 2,720 Posts
    • 446 Thanks
    stphnstevey
    • 29th Dec 07, 4:37 PM
    • 29th Dec 07, 4:37 PM
    Thanks for your help

Thought I might have got a few more replies
    • needaspirin
    • By needaspirin 29th Dec 07, 4:55 PM
    • 1,125 Posts
    • 1,650 Thanks
    needaspirin
    • 29th Dec 07, 4:55 PM
    • 29th Dec 07, 4:55 PM
    This site has spares for the TS1850 and some pdf files with diagrams and instructions etc.
    http://www.shower-spare-parts.com/products.php?RangeID=29&ProductTypeID=14
    You may have to isolate both CW & HW systems before dismantling the mixer.
    • stphnstevey
    • By stphnstevey 29th Dec 07, 5:20 PM
    • 2,720 Posts
    • 446 Thanks
    stphnstevey
    • 29th Dec 07, 5:20 PM
    • 29th Dec 07, 5:20 PM
    Thanks - this is what I brought up fro Google - they have some good diagrams though.

Not sure how to isolate the HW from a combi bioler though? The central heating is under pressure, so I don't want to knacker that. Tere are no obvious isolation valves.
    • jennifernil
    • By jennifernil 1st Jan 08, 2:22 AM
    • 4,887 Posts
    • 2,014 Thanks
    jennifernil
    • 1st Jan 08, 2:22 AM
    • 1st Jan 08, 2:22 AM
    Turn off the boiler first. Then turn off the cold main into the house at the main stopcock and drain the shower and taps until no more water comes out. Then you can dismantle it.
    Last edited by jennifernil; 01-01-2008 at 2:27 AM.
    • stphnstevey
    • By stphnstevey 1st Jan 08, 4:08 PM
    • 2,720 Posts
    • 446 Thanks
    stphnstevey
    • 1st Jan 08, 4:08 PM
    • 1st Jan 08, 4:08 PM
    Thanks

This seems like a silly question even as I write, but I just want to be sure!
    I presume the CH is a seperate circuit from the tap HW - therefore the pressure in the CH system won't be effected?
    • jennifernil
    • By jennifernil 3rd Jan 08, 9:23 PM
    • 4,887 Posts
    • 2,014 Thanks
    jennifernil
    • 3rd Jan 08, 9:23 PM
    • 3rd Jan 08, 9:23 PM
    The water in your CH does not mix with the water coming from the taps.
  • ormus
    • 3rd Jan 08, 9:34 PM
    • 3rd Jan 08, 9:34 PM
    thats what the heat exchanger is for. to heat the DHWS.
    the two never mix.
    switch off the boiler and turn off the CWS (main) stopc0ck.

then you can service the shower mixer valve. a seal kit will prob cure it.
    Get some gorm.
    • stphnstevey
    • By stphnstevey 7th Feb 08, 8:47 PM
    • 2,720 Posts
    • 446 Thanks
    stphnstevey
    Turn off the boiler first. Then turn off the cold main into the house at the main stopcock and drain the shower and taps until no more water comes out. Then you can dismantle it.
    Originally posted by jennifernil
    How can I isolate the HW?
    • jennifernil
    • By jennifernil 7th Feb 08, 9:04 PM
    • 4,887 Posts
    • 2,014 Thanks
    jennifernil
    You don't need to, the hot water coming from the shower starts life as the mains cold water. The combi heats it, then it becomes hot water.
    So by turning off the main stopcock you are cutting everything off.

You are sure you have a combi boiler? It is very different with a conventional boiler.
    • stphnstevey
    • By stphnstevey 8th Feb 08, 6:16 PM
    • 2,720 Posts
    • 446 Thanks
    stphnstevey
    Sorry to make life complicated, but I will be working on our house but also fixing a hot tap at my mums as well.

I can see your point that with the combi it's easy to turn off the HW

At my mums she has a back boiler, HW cylinder and cistern in the loft. I am told there are several ways to turn off the HW

1) Turn off the stop !!!! and wait to drain the HW cylinder and cistern - but this wastes quite a bit of water

2) Turn off a valve to the feed for the CW storage tank or tie it up with a bit of wood

3) Turn off the valve that might be on the outlet for the HW cylinder - this seems prefferable, but am I looking for the pipe that comes out the top or the bottom? ie where is the HW drawn out from?
    Last edited by stphnstevey; 08-02-2008 at 6:43 PM.
    • jennifernil
    • By jennifernil 8th Feb 08, 9:38 PM
    • 4,887 Posts
    • 2,014 Thanks
    jennifernil
    On ours it is the top.

A good idea, when you locate the various stopcocks, is to tie a label on each one saying what they are for. Makes it easier next time, or for someone else.
    Last edited by jennifernil; 08-02-2008 at 9:40 PM.
    • spirit
    • By spirit 11th Feb 08, 8:27 AM
    • 2,428 Posts
    • 5,098 Thanks
    spirit
    My shower - Mira Exel, has started dripping and you have to just keep turning the darned thing on and off until it finally stops. my neighbour who is a plumber says I either need a cartridge pack or to replace the whole shubang because he says that often just changing the cartridge doesn't work. I'm going to try the cartridge first though!
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,775Posts Today

5,743Users online

Martin's Twitter