Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Clive Woody
    • By Clive Woody 20th Dec 07, 3:04 PM
    • 4,257Posts
    • 4,884Thanks
    Clive Woody
    Cleaning a conservatory roof
    • 20th Dec 07, 3:04 PM
    Cleaning a conservatory roof 20th Dec 07 at 3:04 PM
    Last weekend was spent with me balanced on step-ladders scrapping the algae and god knows what off our conservatory roof. Does anybody know of an easy solution for doing this or a product that removes the green stuff from a conservatory roof.

Thanks
    Rugby Union - The Greatest Game
Page 1
    • Poppycat
    • By Poppycat 20th Dec 07, 3:11 PM
    • 12,610 Posts
    • 9,498 Thanks
    Poppycat
    • 20th Dec 07, 3:11 PM
    • 20th Dec 07, 3:11 PM
    You can get brushes on rods that are good cleaning conservatories that are angled in a way for the slope on the roof, I think they are pricey though

http://www.hgpromotions.com/?page=products&cid=6
    Last edited by Poppycat; 20-12-2007 at 3:25 PM.

• Mutton Geoff
    • By Mutton Geoff 20th Dec 07, 3:16 PM
    • 765 Posts
    • 597 Thanks
    Mutton Geoff
    • 20th Dec 07, 3:16 PM
    • 20th Dec 07, 3:16 PM
    Discussed in a couple of threads, have a look at this one.
  • cupid_s
    • 20th Dec 07, 3:17 PM
    • 20th Dec 07, 3:17 PM
    my husband did ours the other weekend with a steam cleaner. Did still involve him standing on a ladder precariously but it looks good now and is easier than having to scrape it all off. He just hosed it down afterwards.
  • Inactive
    • 20th Dec 07, 3:32 PM
    • 20th Dec 07, 3:32 PM
    I just use a car brush with a built in extendable handle, it works fine, followed by a gentle hose down.
  • andrewmoorcroft
    • 21st Dec 07, 10:04 AM
    • 21st Dec 07, 10:04 AM
    You can get brushes on rods that are good cleaning conservatories that are angled in a way for the slope on the roof, I think they are pricey though

http://www.hgpromotions.com/?page=products&cid=6
    Originally posted by Poppycat
    Piccy shows a dwarf conservatory where you can see the roof from the ground! Most occasions you will be doing it blind unless you stand on something.
    I used a window cleaning attachment from poundland on a decorators extending pole. The window cleaning attachment had a mop on one side and a wiper blade on the other. The handle was hollow and tapered like a paint roller frame handle so it fitted straight onto a roller extension pole. I used Daz on the mop and it cleaned up the roof quite well but still took a couple of hours. My neighbour simply got the local window cleaner to do hers. It took around 1hr and cost £20.
  • D.Salkeld
    • 2nd Jan 08, 9:45 PM
    • 2nd Jan 08, 9:45 PM
    My neighbour simply got the local window cleaner to do hers. It took around 1hr and cost £20.
    Hi folks,

First let me declare my interest, as it were. I AM a Window Cleaner
    In this case, considering all the other posts do you think this might be the best option?

A bit like my car needed a new alternator.......................
    Took it to my local garage, half hour while I ate my lunch.........Done
    The.........THE BILL..................£179...£ 135 for the Alternator

Now maybe I could have shopped around for an alternator.......but would probably paid similar....................
    Then me fitting it......................Well I'm only a Window Cleaner :confused:
    And the time of work would have cost me more.

So, don't you think £20 to your local window cleaner with the equipment to do a good job is fair and better than falling of the steps.

David
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 2nd Jan 08, 9:51 PM
    • 7,464 Posts
    • 3,597 Thanks
    Stompa
    • 2nd Jan 08, 9:51 PM
    • 2nd Jan 08, 9:51 PM
    Discussed in a couple of threads, have a look at this one.
    Originally posted by Mutton Geoff
    And FWIW, as a result of that thread, I ended up using Jeyes Fluid on mine. Not perfect, but the best cleaner I've found so far - though a bit smelly!
    Stompa
    • missile
    • By missile 3rd Jan 08, 11:10 AM
    • 8,326 Posts
    • 3,954 Thanks
    missile
    • 3rd Jan 08, 11:10 AM
    • 3rd Jan 08, 11:10 AM
    David,

I enjoyed your post. Unfortunately not all window cleaners are as clever, helpful or inexpensive as you.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
  • moonrakerz
    First tip - do it when it has been raining then the gunge and bird s*** will come off easier.
    Have a garden hose to hand as well.
    I use a triple extending mop/squegee from Focus £16.99, works fine.
  • Inactive

So, don't you think £20 to your local window cleaner with the equipment to do a good job is fair and better than falling of the steps.

David
    Originally posted by D.Salkeld
    Unfortunately not all window cleaners are the same David.
  • s brophy
    £20 is cheap, the lowest price an average conservatory should be £35

Trafficc film remover i use with DI water via a WFP system
  • keithwaugh
    If you are confident that the Conservatory roof is strong enough, you could put a ladder across the Conservatory roof beams to spread your weight. Using a second ladder to get up to the roof, you can then crawl along this roof ladder cleaning the polycarbonate roof with a brush on a hose.

I had the confidence to do this after I had my house roof replaced. The Roofer covered my Conservatory roof with several 8ft x 4ft sheets of 8mm Plywood-3 sheets thick, and then walked on the roof to get at the house roof above the Conservatory.
  • daveliz
    I think I may have found a free solution.
    yes in the name of moneysaving I have an all natural free solution.

The inspiration came to me when I was wondering how I was going to clean my roof. Nature showed me the answer.
    I saw a streak of clean roof and below was the secret.
    There was a small blob of moss. So I got to thinking, what would a massive wad of this do? I was amazed and so would you be.
    I found a flat roof with loads of moss and took about 3 handfuls managed to clean my roof balancing on a stool and using a broom to sweep it all over the roof, the algae comes off so easily and all that's needed after is a good hose down and good as new.
  • bigdoozer
    soda, water, sprayer//// leave//// done .
  • ladypinkof66
    David,

I enjoyed your post. Unfortunately not all window cleaners are as clever, helpful or inexpensive as you.
    Originally posted by missile
    my sister was charged £100 cash for her conservatory roof to be cleaned
    2010 - Goals

1. on the long road to hopefully adopting a child - Home Visit 3 Feb 2010

2. Planning to clear my credit card debt.

3. lose weight.

• withabix
    • By withabix 12th Apr 09, 9:15 PM
    • 8,960 Posts
    • 7,908 Thanks
    withabix
    Flash bleach and a pressure washer.

I did erect my conservatory myself however - so I know how well it is sealed!!
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
    • beyond skint
    • By beyond skint 12th Apr 09, 9:40 PM
    • 497 Posts
    • 377 Thanks
    beyond skint
    We're window cleaners, £20 is a good price, it up to you whether you want to do it yourself or pay someone without any hassle.
  • barrow boy
    Yes works well this kit from hgpromotions, good strong unit, helpful advice and quick delivery.My conservatory was a tall awkward shape and because the pole is 5 metres long I could see perfectly what I was cleaning & with the nylon barbs in cotton glove it was extremely good at removing bird mess and algae. Top class product would recomend without hesitation and not that expensive at £59.99 after all 2 goes or less and it's paid for itself.
    • niamhtra66
    • By niamhtra66 9th Aug 10, 7:36 PM
    • 543 Posts
    • 10,564 Thanks
    niamhtra66
    Barrow boy, your bigging up this company a bit and you know an awful lot about them,,, links to it by any chance????
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,718Posts Today

6,509Users online

Martin's Twitter