Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • newlywed
    • By newlywed 6th Dec 07, 8:52 AM
    • 7,474Posts
    • 24,341Thanks
    newlywed
    0 WOW
    Travel to Ireland with no passport???
    • 6th Dec 07, 8:52 AM
    0 WOW
    Travel to Ireland with no passport??? 6th Dec 07 at 8:52 AM
    Is there any way to travel to Ireland from UK without a passport?

My passport was in my maiden name but has expired. I can't get a new passport in my married name using the one day service as from the website it looks like they don't do that for name change services.

The one week service will take too long.

There's a family funeral likely to be next week and I just can't see how I can get there
    Grocery Challenge August = £300 hopefully!
    DMP support thread (member #32)

Page 1
    • Fran
    • By Fran 6th Dec 07, 9:05 AM
    • 11,008 Posts
    • 6,462 Thanks
    Fran
    • 6th Dec 07, 9:05 AM
    • 6th Dec 07, 9:05 AM
    Don't worry, you don't need one!

Adviceguide

"You need a valid passport to travel between the UK and all other countries (except the Isle of Man, the Channel Islands and the Republic of Ireland)."
    Torgwen.......... ...........

I'm a volunteer Board Guide on Techie, Benefits & Employment, Energy, Small biz & Charities and Redundancy boards to help them run smoothly & I can move posts & threads but don't read them all. Dealing with illegal or inappropriate posts is not part of my role. Please report them to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are mine not official MoneySavingExpert ones.
    • newlywed
    • By newlywed 6th Dec 07, 9:09 AM
    • 7,474 Posts
    • 24,341 Thanks
    newlywed
    • 6th Dec 07, 9:09 AM
    • 6th Dec 07, 9:09 AM
    But the airline and ferry won't allow you to get on without a passport? :confused:

Since 9/11 the airlines won't let you check in without one (previous to that I did fly to Ireland without one).

• newlywed
    • By newlywed 6th Dec 07, 9:14 AM
    • 7,474 Posts
    • 24,341 Thanks
    newlywed
    • 6th Dec 07, 9:14 AM
    • 6th Dec 07, 9:14 AM
    Just found this
    Note: Whilst UK citizens do not require a passport or visa to enter Ireland, most carriers by air or sea now require some form of identification with photograph, usually a passport or driving licence with photo. Visitors should check what form of ID is required with the individual airline, ferry company or travel agent before travelling.
    Looks like it's up to the airline/ferry :confused:

• Fran
    • By Fran 6th Dec 07, 9:20 AM
    • 11,008 Posts
    • 6,462 Thanks
    Fran
    • 6th Dec 07, 9:20 AM
    • 6th Dec 07, 9:20 AM
    Foreign Office

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS

Ireland, along with the UK, is a member of the Common Travel Area. This means that UK passport holders do not require their passport to visit Ireland for immigration purposes. However, we recommend you carry an acceptable form of photo-identification for travel between the UK and Ireland (and between UK airports).
    You shouldn't have a problem, just check first as you have said.
    Torgwen.......... ...........

I'm a volunteer Board Guide on Techie, Benefits & Employment, Energy, Small biz & Charities and Redundancy boards to help them run smoothly & I can move posts & threads but don't read them all. Dealing with illegal or inappropriate posts is not part of my role. Please report them to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are mine not official MoneySavingExpert ones.
    • gravitytolls
    • By gravitytolls 6th Dec 07, 9:34 AM
    • 12,990 Posts
    • 23,189 Thanks
    gravitytolls
    • 6th Dec 07, 9:34 AM
    • 6th Dec 07, 9:34 AM
    We travelled by ferry without passports withno problems. Take your driving licence with you, that should suffice in the unlikely event anybody asks for ID.

You will need to show passports at airlines, at this end at any rate.
    I ave a dodgy H, so sometimes I will sound dead common, on occasion dead stupid and rarely, pig ignorant. Sometimes I may be these things, but I will always blame it on my dodgy H.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a grumble weed today, no offence intended ... well it might be, but I'll be sorry.
    • newlywed
    • By newlywed 6th Dec 07, 9:51 AM
    • 7,474 Posts
    • 24,341 Thanks
    newlywed
    • 6th Dec 07, 9:51 AM
    • 6th Dec 07, 9:51 AM
    Thanks for the info. I thought as much. Debate now is whether to do 350 mile drive and ferry crossing - funeral - ferry, then 350 miles

• Strapped
    • 6th Dec 07, 9:53 AM
    • 6th Dec 07, 9:53 AM
    Technically, you don't need one. My mother in law travelled to and from Ireland all the time without a passport, but I have also heard of some airlines refusing to accept anything BUT a passport. To be safe, why don't you just get a new passport in your maiden name using the one day service. You can always send off to have it changed over later (not very moneysaving but will get you to the funeral).
    • newlywed
    • By newlywed 6th Dec 07, 9:57 AM
    • 7,474 Posts
    • 24,341 Thanks
    newlywed
    • 6th Dec 07, 9:57 AM
    • 6th Dec 07, 9:57 AM
    I did think of that but don't honestly have the £115 plus train fare plus day off work to do it. I'd need travel costs for the funeral too - travel to airport, tickets, hotel etc.

Would then need another £72 to change it later to my married name

• dragoninn
    U do not need a passport,
    but u do need some form of id i.e driving licence, check with the airline
    • newlywed
    • By newlywed 6th Dec 07, 10:34 AM
    • 7,474 Posts
    • 24,341 Thanks
    newlywed
    U do not need a passport,
    but u do need some form of id i.e driving licence, check with the airline
    Originally posted by dragoninn
    BA website says due to security controls and regulations you need a valid passport unless it is "domestic" flight. Another website refers to Ryanair and says they stipulate passport also

• newlywed
    • By newlywed 6th Dec 07, 10:45 AM
    • 7,474 Posts
    • 24,341 Thanks
    newlywed
    Just checked Aer Lingus:
    Help Inquiry

Help Inquiry/ Travel Documentation and Boarding Policies/ Photo ID/
    Photo ID

Travel between Ireland and the United Kingdom and Domestic UK travel

While passports are not required for travel within Ireland, within the UK, and between Ireland and the UK, you are required to carry a valid photo ID. ....

Aer Lingus may ask you to present valid Photo ID at check in or at the boarding gate for all flights. Failure to do so may result in refusal to travel.
    So looks like Aer Lingus may be an answer as I have a current photo driving licence

• milla
    • By milla 6th Dec 07, 10:54 AM
    • 282 Posts
    • 176 Thanks
    milla
    Ryanair website : -

For British and Irish citizens who are travelling on flights to/from the United Kingdom to/from the Republic of Ireland (Common Travel Area), a valid driving licence with photo is acceptable photo ID. Passengers who are citizens of other countries travelling on these routes must present a valid passport (with visa if applicable) or a National Identity Card issued by the government of a European Economic Area (EEA) country.

:0 )
    Without the rain you wouldn't have the rainbows !

I came into this world with nothing and I've still got most of it left!
  • BernadetteN
    If you travel by ferry, ID requirements are far more "relaxed" in that you need to prove your identity and nationality if requested. Sometimes, even without a driving licence or passport, you would be able to convince someone as to your identity. However, if you travel by air, you will virtually never be able to travel without a valid driving licence or passport between UK and Republic of Ireland.

So long as you present your valid driving licence and your expired passport too (in the same name), I cannot see you being refused a seat on a plane or carriage on a ferry. You can even take your full birth certificate, bank statements to tie your name with your place of residence... you really should be fine.
    • newlywed
    • By newlywed 6th Dec 07, 11:10 AM
    • 7,474 Posts
    • 24,341 Thanks
    newlywed
    So long as you present your valid driving licence and your expired passport too (in the same name), I cannot see you being refused a seat on a plane or carriage on a ferry. You can even take your full birth certificate, bank statements to tie your name with your place of residence... you really should be fine.
    Originally posted by BernadetteN
    Thanks expired passport is not in the same name as everything else. Thats why I can't use the one day passport service. Everything else I have is in my married name (didn't see much point renewing my passport until I could afford a holiday :rolleyes

Extra ID on top of my driving licence is probably a good idea though, thanks.

• ~Chameleon~
    I've flown to Ireland several times with Ryanair only using my photo driving licence as ID and never had a problem. The last time was just a few months ago so unless they've changed T&C since then you should be ok.
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
    • newlywed
    • By newlywed 7th Dec 07, 2:10 PM
    • 7,474 Posts
    • 24,341 Thanks
    newlywed
    Thanks Chameleon. Good to hear confirmation from someone who has actually flown this way recently. Cheers.

• piquet D
    I've flown to Ireland several times with Ryanair only using my photo driving licence as ID and never had a problem. The last time was just a few months ago so unless they've changed T&C since then you should be ok.
    Originally posted by ~Chameleon~
    agree with this as have done the same several times. i used to work as a travel agent and the official advice we were given was that a pax must turn up with 'definitive' photo ID -for example a passport/drivers licence/armed forces ID. so as long as you don't turn up flashing a student union card you've nothing to worry about...
    almost glimpsing the light at the end of the debt tunnel...
    • Saint_Chris
    • By Saint_Chris 7th Dec 07, 3:18 PM
    • 3,787 Posts
    • 3,724 Thanks
    Saint_Chris
    i couldn't get to dublin last week from liverpool, flying with ryanair, i tried to use my photo driving licence but couldn't get on.

luckly i had my passport,
  • catlover1
    Hi,

You can use a driving lience with photo but I wouldd advise using the smaller airports not heathrow as they will be more strict there .... although I don't recomend this my grandmother was allowed to fly from Shannon (I think it was air lingus but am not 100% sure) to UK last Xmas using her library card !!! She couldn't find her passpost in her luggage and they let her on the plane !!!!

xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

133Posts Today

1,139Users online

Martin's Twitter