Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 3
    • herbily
    • By herbily 15th Jul 17, 4:06 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 1,726 Thanks
    herbily
    There's a well-known Danish recipe for a redcurrant pudding (well-known for having an unpronounceable name, roedgroed), which involves boiling up your redcurrants with plenty of sugar and a little water, then putting the whole lot through a sieve and returning to the pan with a couple of tablespoons of potato flour. The potato flour thickens the syrup but keeps it clear, unlike cornflour which makes things cloudy. You end up with a thick red gloop that you serve with whipped cream. The sugar takes out the tartness, and the sieve takes out the pips and bits of stalk.

It used to be hard to get potato flour, but in these days of gluten allergies, it's often in the gluten-free section of large supermarkets.
    One day at a time...
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 15th Jul 17, 4:43 PM
    • 7,795 Posts
    • 26,135 Thanks
    Primrose
    Last year we were going away for the weekend on a Friday afternoon and I noticed 2 redcurrant bushes and 1 black currant bush absolutely dripping with fruit. Thought to myself I'll need to pick them Sunday afternoon when we return. When we got back there wasn,t a single berry left on any bush! I was flabbergasted. . We too feed the little perishers all year round. That's gratitude for you! This year I netted the redcurrants but didn,t have enough netting to cover the blackcurrant bush and they stripped that before I could go out and buy more netting!

The perishers get a early start about 5 a.m i think to beat us to it ,
    • Skintmama
    • By Skintmama 15th Jul 17, 6:12 PM
    • 458 Posts
    • 1,555 Thanks
    Skintmama
    I have been picking blackcurrants this afternoon, whilst listening to the blackbirds finishing off the last of the red and white currants nearby. I am hoping they will be distracted long enough for me to get a decent harvest! How I would love a fruit cage. The birds have already stripped the cherry tree, which had quite a good crop this year. No doubt they will be tucking into the red parts of the apples soon too
    GC March £100/£100 GC April £140.47/£150
    GC May £150.16/£150 GC June £187.40/£200
    GC July £190/£200 GC August £200
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 15th Jul 17, 8:54 PM
    • 23,937 Posts
    • 50,236 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Funny how the birds know when the fruit is at its best
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 16th Jul 17, 11:26 PM
    • 2,443 Posts
    • 7,011 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Funny how the birds know when the fruit is at its best
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Yes, last weekend I watched mr and Mrs blackbird sit on my blueberry bush and have a feast. Luckily there was more than enough onthe bush for the three of us.

Only a handful of red currants for me this year. Have made a small batch of blackcurrant jam. Have a few more left to make a couple of mini fruit pies (singles).
    £2 Savers Club 2017 -no 1 £294£360
    Save £12k in 2017 - no 68 ( 4402.13/6000)
    Virtual sealed pot 2017 - no 20 £33.24/£100
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,281Posts Today

7,970Users online

Martin's Twitter