Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 2
    • CCP
    • By CCP 20th Aug 09, 7:27 PM
    • 4,597 Posts
    • 92,603 Thanks
    CCP
    From having no ideas I've now almost got too many - thanks, everyone!

I've just discovered that Tesco have Ben & Jerry's ice cream on special offer at the mo, so I think I'll cook the redcurrants into sauce and pour over some B&J strawberry cheesecake ice cream.

Then I'll go and order some more currants from the veg box company and see about making a small batch of raspberry and redcurrant jam: I've been planning to try jam-making now I've finally got a flat with a decent size kitchen! Can anyone advise me whether I need a special pan for making jam, or if my normal non-stick one will be OK? (Sorry, that should probably be a new thread, shouldn't it?)
    • jap200
    • By jap200 10th Sep 10, 12:18 PM
    • 2,000 Posts
    • 3,403 Thanks
    jap200
    What to do with red currants?
    My neighbour has just had a freezer disaster and donated a couple of bags of red currants to me. They have defrosted and re-frozen (they are back in my freezer), so I don't think they are suitable to use raw, but should be OK to cook.

Any suggestions apart from redcurrant jelly?

Can I make some sort of jam - maybe together with raspberries or blackcurrants (I have both of those in freezer from my own garden) - or are they too pippy?
    • babyshoes
    • By babyshoes 10th Sep 10, 12:53 PM
    • 1,709 Posts
    • 3,325 Thanks
    babyshoes
    We have a bottle of 'redcurrant shrub' in our cupboard 'maturing' - basically redcurrant juice as if to make jelly, sugar and brandy. It turned into a jelly at first, and is barely liquid now. Smells very strong, but could be really nice in a few months... If you drink, or know someone who would appreciate it for Christmas NEXT year, it may be worth a try!
    Trust me - I'm NOT a doctor!
    • artichoke
    • By artichoke 10th Sep 10, 1:12 PM
    • 1,685 Posts
    • 3,200 Thanks
    artichoke
    i know you don't want redcurrant jelly - but what about redcurrant sauce to pour over ice cream?

same thing but different function
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 10th Sep 10, 1:21 PM
    • 4,931 Posts
    • 47,649 Thanks
    meanmarie
    I made some redcurrant jam this year as couldn't be bothered with the faff of making jelly, reserve that for apple/elderberry. I used around ( I never seem to do things exactly) 3/4 lb sugar to each pound of currants and it turned out really nice...not hugely sweet but that's how I like it, nice on bread or on ice-cream.

HTH

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
    • jap200
    • By jap200 10th Sep 10, 1:27 PM
    • 2,000 Posts
    • 3,403 Thanks
    jap200
    I made some redcurrant jam this year as couldn't be bothered with the faff of making jelly, reserve that for apple/elderberry. I used around ( I never seem to do things exactly) 3/4 lb sugar to each pound of currants and it turned out really nice...not hugely sweet but that's how I like it, nice on bread or on ice-cream.

HTH

Marie
    Originally posted by meanmarie

Sounds good, but is it really pippy?
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 11th Sep 10, 3:26 PM
    • 9,342 Posts
    • 17,803 Thanks
    zippychick
    Hi Jap

I've merged this with our main redcurrants thread so you can see the other ideas

thanks
    Zip
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

• Ladyhawk
    • By Ladyhawk 10th Nov 10, 2:30 PM
    • 2,050 Posts
    • 13,467 Thanks
    Ladyhawk
    rum soaked redcurrants
    Hi Ladies and Gents -

any ideas on what to do with some rum soaked red currants? Shall I just shove them into a madeira cake and hope for the best?

Thanks
    Man plans and God laughs...

Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry. But by demonstrating that all people cry, laugh, eat, worry and die, it introduces the idea that if we try to understand each other, we may even become friends.
    • Seakay
    • By Seakay 10th Nov 10, 2:35 PM
    • 4,152 Posts
    • 9,991 Thanks
    Seakay
    Or how about a boozy fruit crumble with custard?

Could be good as a dessert as they are with some sugar sprinkled on for sweetness and a crunchy texture
    • Farway
    • By Farway 10th Nov 10, 2:39 PM
    • 5,730 Posts
    • 7,734 Thanks
    Farway
    Hi Ladies and Gents -

any ideas on what to do with some rum soaked red currants? Shall I just shove them into a madeira cake and hope for the best?

Thanks
    Originally posted by Ladyhawk
    Where are you? I'll be round for tea
  • Winged one
    Oooh, ideas. I have some frozen redcurratns in freezer, and still half a small bottle of honey rum to use - could this be a useful way to combine both? (I am trying to find useful ways to use both, and perhaps combine into something I could give as a Christmas gift).
    GC 2010 €6,000/ €5,897

GC 2011:Overall Target: €6,000/
    €5,442 by October

Back on the wagon again in 2014
    Apr €587.82/€550 May €453.31 /€550
  • valk_scot
    Boozy Summer Pudding?
    Val.
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 14th Nov 10, 4:51 AM
    • 9,342 Posts
    • 17,803 Thanks
    zippychick
    I've merged this with our existing redcurrants thread
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

• Primrose
    • By Primrose 14th Jul 17, 7:52 PM
    • 7,871 Posts
    • 26,738 Thanks
    Primrose
    I was given this recipe for No Cook Freezer Jam years ago and have to report it works well

3 lb 5 oz /1.5 kilos soft fruit
    3 lb 13 oz/1.75 kg caster sugar
    4 tablespoons lemon juice

Half pint/250 ml bottle of Certo or other liquid pectin

Layer the fruit layered with sugar in a non metallic bowl. Crush a little to release the juice and pour over the lemon juice.
    Cover with cling film and leave for 3 - 6 hours until sugar has dissolved . Stir ever 30 mins.
    Add the pectin. stir for 3 or 4 mins until well blended.
    Pour mixture into several freezer proof containers.
    Leave for 24 hours for mixture to thicken then freeze.
    Can be kept in freezer for 6 - 8 months.

To use jam, let in thaw in fridge. It's best eaten within a week.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 15th Jul 17, 10:09 AM
    • 24,200 Posts
    • 50,865 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Is it just me that finds redcurrants astonishingly tart? I can't eat them on their own.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • grunnie
    • By grunnie 15th Jul 17, 10:33 AM
    • 1,593 Posts
    • 9,014 Thanks
    grunnie
    I grow black currants and red and also white currants. My sister in law pinches the blackcurrants to make kirsch and I freeze the red and white ones. I add red or even white to strawberry jam to make it set. I add them to museli and I also decorate pavlovas and cheesecakes with them. I made an etonmess last year with rasp and strawberries and decorated it with stripes of red and white currants.
    I am in the north of Scotland so fruit etc up here is about 4 to 6 weeks after you lucky peoples down in the warm south.
    Have made red currant jelly in the passed but it is a lot of faff with a jelly bag etc. Much prefer bramble jelly tho.
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 15th Jul 17, 11:35 AM
    • 7,871 Posts
    • 26,738 Thanks
    Primrose
    Must give up multitasking. Left a big pan full of redcurrants simmering on hob to cook down for syrup while I hung out the washing. Returned to kitchen to find pan had boiled over and hob looked like an abbatoir.

Red and black soft fruit can be a nightmare for staining clothes and worktops, especially when you have to faff around straining pulps through a jelly bag!
    Last edited by Primrose; 15-07-2017 at 1:49 PM.
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 15th Jul 17, 1:52 PM
    • 7,871 Posts
    • 26,738 Thanks
    Primrose
    Is it just me that finds redcurrants astonishingly tart? I can't eat them on their own.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse

I've found the secret to this is to net your bushes to keep the birds off them and not be tempted to pick them as soon as they turn bright red. Leave them until they're a really dark red colour - this greatly increases their sweetness.
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 15th Jul 17, 1:54 PM
    • 7,871 Posts
    • 26,738 Thanks
    Primrose
    Hi Ladies and Gents -

Thanks
    Originally posted by Ladyhawk

Notice this was a very old thread but for next time, cooking will of course make all the alcohol disappear! Putting them in a trifle will hang onto the rum flavour !
    • SamsReturn
    • By SamsReturn 15th Jul 17, 3:56 PM
    • 1,685 Posts
    • 2,970 Thanks
    SamsReturn
    I noticed last weekend that i had loads of redcurrants. I went out two mornings and got a handful to have on my cereal. The third day, there were none. They'd all gone. Bl00dy birds. I put food out for them every day. I've planted bushes with berries for the birds. Why can't they eat their own.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

220Posts Today

1,601Users online

Martin's Twitter