Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • nearlyrich
    • By nearlyrich 1st Dec 07, 5:23 PM
    • 13,175 Posts
    • 16,087 Thanks
    nearlyrich
    • 1st Dec 07, 5:23 PM
    • 1st Dec 07, 5:23 PM
    Have you a local butcher? Supermarkets will be buying from the big Bernard Matthews type producers who will be puttiing up their prices because of the bird flu incidents recently.

We have just been to Bury market where turkey crowns were under a tenner for a family of 6-8 size....I have ordered one from my usual butcher for collection on Christmas Eve.
    NEW to the Forum? I'm the Board Guide on
    Debt-Free Wannabe

I can move and change posts but I don't have time to read everything. If you spot a reportable post please use the button below.

Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange
  • linzibean
    • 1st Dec 07, 5:33 PM
    • 1st Dec 07, 5:33 PM
    We have two excellent local butchers, both sadly out of our price range this Christmas. I'll be buying our goosefat, sausagemeat and bacon from there though
    • plumduff55
    • By plumduff55 1st Dec 07, 6:46 PM
    • 204 Posts
    • 1,836 Thanks
    plumduff55
    • 1st Dec 07, 6:46 PM
    • 1st Dec 07, 6:46 PM
    Hi, I bought a Turkey Crown from Aldi during the week, it weighs 2.8kg and cost £6.99. I shopped around and this was the cheapest I saw for that size. I didn't try Lidl, but they usually have good buys as well.
  • xabbyxlouise
    • 1st Dec 07, 8:05 PM
    • 1st Dec 07, 8:05 PM
    i also got mine from aldi, did the same last year and it was very nice!
  • dorry
    • 1st Dec 07, 8:09 PM
    • 1st Dec 07, 8:09 PM
    I was wondering where to get my turkey crown from also, are they quite big in aldi???
    'If you judge people, you have no time to love them'
    Mother Teresa
  • R4pture
    • 1st Dec 07, 8:41 PM
    • 1st Dec 07, 8:41 PM
    im sure they are still about £8 or £9 in TESCOs
    Current Debt : FEB 2010 - £10,000, OCT 2010 - £5,000

Competitions Won : -> HAHA Don't be silly Been Comping for 2 years! Still no wins!
    • plumduff55
    • By plumduff55 1st Dec 07, 9:25 PM
    • 204 Posts
    • 1,836 Thanks
    plumduff55
    • 1st Dec 07, 9:25 PM
    • 1st Dec 07, 9:25 PM
    H, I checked the websites before buying - Tesco's were £10 and Sainsbury's were £12 for similar size to the one I bought in Aldi for £7
  • xabbyxlouise
    • 1st Dec 07, 9:46 PM
    • 1st Dec 07, 9:46 PM
    they are a decent size in aldi, we manage to get four adult size xmas dinners out of it plus boxing daydinner, then there is always plenty left for sandwhichs or curry
    • Nenen
    • By Nenen 1st Dec 07, 9:47 PM
    • 2,345 Posts
    • 7,525 Thanks
    Nenen
    Sorry to be thick... probably a stupid question... but what makes you prefer to buy a turkey crown to a whole turkey? Doesn't it work out cheaper to buy a whole trukey and just discard the legs if you really don't like the meat on legs?
    “A journey is best measured in friends, not in miles.”
    (Tim Cahill)

• cookie monster
    We always have turkey crown as well as it lasts for christmas and boxing day, any longer than that and it goes to waste.
  • Stephen Leak
    Sorry to be thick... probably a stupid question... but what makes you prefer to buy a turkey crown to a whole turkey? Doesn't it work out cheaper to buy a whole trukey and just discard the legs if you really don't like the meat on legs?
    Originally posted by Nenen
    Small oven? Small family? However, I do think that they are generally overpriced for what they actually are. Anyway, what do I know? It will probably be a Bernard Matthews Turkey Roast with a sprig of holly in the top for me ...
  • noonesperfect
    Originally posted by Nenen

Turkey crowns take far less time to cook and if you don't like the legs as well it seems a very MS thing to buy!

I paid a tenner the other week from Tesco for a frozen one, fresh are alot more expensive.
  • linzibean
    There's only the two of us, and I want it as something a bit "special" for Christmas day. We also do have a very small oven, we had to look a while to find a roasting tin small enough!! OH isn't adventurous enough to try duck or pheasant (which I thought would be a nice alternative) so a crown it has to be :rolleyes:
    • Elliesmum
    • By Elliesmum 2nd Dec 07, 1:00 AM
    • 1,422 Posts
    • 1,700 Thanks
    Elliesmum
    We always buy a crown - me, hubby, MIL and little one. Can't be bothered dealing with the whole turkey thing. Generally a lot less waste on a Crown.

EM xx
    You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
    Plato

NSD challenge for July - 1/10 2nd target 0/13 VSP £235.00
  • Lovaabargain
    I bought a frozen turkey crown from Tesco last week. It cost £10.00 & serves 8-10 people, it comes ready stuffed & with the bacon on top.
    • nearlyrich
    • By nearlyrich 2nd Dec 07, 11:55 AM
    • 13,175 Posts
    • 16,087 Thanks
    nearlyrich
    We buy a crown because it's easier than handling a turkey big enought to feed 16 people LOL
    NEW to the Forum? I'm the Board Guide on
    Debt-Free Wannabe

I can move and change posts but I don't have time to read everything. If you spot a reportable post please use the button below.

Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange
    • shazrobo
    • By shazrobo 2nd Dec 07, 12:15 PM
    • 3,284 Posts
    • 15,146 Thanks
    shazrobo
    justbeen to aldi, after reading this thread and bought a crown for 6.99, lot cheaper than any i've seen any where else
    • CT19720
    • By CT19720 4th Dec 08, 11:30 PM
    • 1,469 Posts
    • 15,292 Thanks
    CT19720
    Saw some in iceland last wee - 3 sizes I think ranging in price from 8.99 - 12.99.
  • Kez100
    I buy all my meat from there, as i heard about their campaign a couple of years ago in the newspaper, you should look at the website to find out about them.
    Originally posted by benscorsa
    You've googled the wrong site mate. Your crowns are over 4x the price per kg of Aldi.

You want to join MoreMoneyThanSenseExpert
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

371Posts Today

1,206Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @CouncilReporter: How London's skyline will evolve if the 250 high rise towers planned or underway in the capital go ahead as planned ht?

• Age UK boss is right to say on BBC news "you cant compare 2yr fix to a 1yr fix" yet for a decent time it was expensive compared to 2yr fixes

• RT @MoneyTelegraph: Use the same password for everything? You're fuelling a surge in current account fraud https://t.co/hLRY5gkZoE

• Follow Martin