Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Shop but don't drop > Aldi Family Tent - 9th June - Any Good? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Aldi Family Tent - 9th June - Any Good?
Closed Thread
Views: 21,142
# 1
WOW Factor 0
dfarry
Old 05-06-2005, 5:46 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Aldi Family Tent - 9th June - Any Good?

Mum, dad and all the kids - everyone will have plenty of their 'own space' in this roomy 2-cabin tent. Sleeping up to six people in comfort, the light and spacious design features skylight windows, ventilation windows, an entrance awning for extra storage and a removable inner tent partition.

• Outer: strong, PU-coated polyester
  • Size (outer): max 500 (L) x 420 (W) x 225 (H) cm Total size: 21m2
  • Size (single cabin): 235 (L) x 200 (W) x 215 (H) cm
  • Fibreglass poles
  • Professional tent anchoring
  • Suspension hook (for hanging lantern, etc.)
  • Zip opening for power cable
  • Pegs
  • Reflective guylines
  • Repair kit
  • Colours: green/grey, or blue
For a few weeks I have seen various tents available at places like Aldi and Lidl.... some have seemed too big....some too small...others look like they will fall to bits or leak in the lightest of rain.

This latest one looks to fit the bill for me but I'd appreciate any feedback on it....if any?

I have a young family and we fancy trying a bit of camping... it will be a new experience for them... I've been camping when I was younger many times though.

Does anyone have any extra information about this tent and how rain/storm resistant it might...plus how it would cope with strong winds..

Also professional tent anchoring.....what exactly does that mean?

I want a tent with good space and also headroom... the price is about what I was thinking of paying however should I maybe look elsewhere?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Last edited by dfarry; 05-06-2005 at 8:00 PM.
# 2
BenL
Old 05-06-2005, 6:03 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I bought the 80 Aldi tent last year.

The advert is misleading because that is not the same model as mine.

I think its the same make and the quality is very good on my model.

Loads of room, extra poles and pegs included.

Aldi have a good guarantee and the tents don't usually sell out on the 1st day so you can take it home and check it over.

Just don't take it on holiday to try it out and then try to return it.

Ben
# 3
dfarry
Old 05-06-2005, 8:02 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanks Ben... so was it actually this one you thought you were buying or a different model altogther....or you wanted a different model and got this one instead....

It doesn't look that big in the ad... I have the leaflet too but judging by the dimensions it is pretty sizeable...the porch are alone is about 2.5 metre or so... and the height internally is what I want being a 6 footer.
# 4
BenL
Old 05-06-2005, 8:53 PM

It was just a different model last year.

I guess tents in the range may change every year.

Ben
# 5
Miser_maz
Old 05-06-2005, 11:50 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Although this tent is too big for my needs, I'm looking for one for 4 people.
What worries me is that as I've got absolutely no experience on putting up a tent, most look quite complicated to setup.
Can anyone advise me of an easy, beginners tent, for as mentioned 4 people. Its for summer use only.
I've seen a few in the Argos book.
# 6
auntywalker2
Old 06-06-2005, 12:26 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I would have thought that sleeps "up to 6" means squash 6 in or fit 4 people in compfort! Just my humble opinion...
# 7
dfarry
Old 06-06-2005, 1:35 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntywalker2
I would have thought that sleeps "up to 6" means squash 6 in or fit 4 people in compfort! Just my humble opinion...
Yes I agree aunty.... plus me being the only guy in a family of three females I barely have much room for my stuff anyway!!
# 8
Jay-Jay
Old 06-06-2005, 1:50 PM

This tent looks around the same size and shape as our 'family tent'. We've used ours for 2 adults and one small child and I reckon I could now fit both my children in it (5 & 1) if we all squished up a bit.

The problem is, if you squash too much stuff (airbeds and big sleeping bags) in then you run the risk of the fly sheet touching the outer and everyone getting wet. Saying that, it's ok if you organise your layout well.

If you were buying a tent for regular camping holidays for weeks at a time I would say don't bother, get a bigger, better tent with more room (seperate bedrooms) but for a couple of nights with small children, in summer, then it's probably going to be fine.

There are enough guy ropes to stop it being blown away but there are no specifications for the water resistancy of the outer so expect it to be 'reasonably waterproof' unless the inner touches the outer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miser-man
Although this tent is too big for my needs, I'm looking for one for 4 people.
What worries me is that as I've got absolutely no experience on putting up a tent, most look quite complicated to setup.
Can anyone advise me of an easy, beginners tent, for as mentioned 4 people. Its for summer use only.
I've seen a few in the Argos book.
I think that this is a 'small' 4 man tent, like I said, probably fine for 2 adults and 2 children for a couple of nights.

These kind of tents only have either two or 4 poles, they're really easy to put up. You just thread the poles through the sleeves and it's up.....then you peg it out and pull your guy-ropes tight. Easy!

One think I would suggest is that you buy an extra groundsheet for your porch/awning area, if it doesn't come with one, as they get really muddy. The pound shops usually sell these for covering garden furniture/ cars etc
Just run, run and keep on running!

Last edited by Jay-Jay; 06-06-2005 at 1:54 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay-Jay For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
dfarry
Old 09-06-2005, 8:41 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanks for your comments too Jay-Jay...sorry only just got around to replying..

Well I got the tent tonight and I am very very impressed...

I haven't put it up yet but just judging by the carry/storage bag, the really comprehensive instructions and equipment details....even the Vinyl waterproof table size quick start sheet makes me think this was an absolute bargain!!

The dimensions are pretty much as already described and it consists of the tent split in half, with one half separated into two 200cm x 235cm sleeping area's, the internal height is 215cm

In addition (taken from the owners manual) it has:-

Outer Tent

100% polyester 190T PU coating on inside and hydrophobic coating on the outside.
2,000mm water column and sealed seams

Inner Tent
100% polyester, 185T breathable
Inner and outer tent connected by 36 segments (ring and toggle)

Ground sheet
100% PE = textile tarpaulin 130gr/m2

Line of Poles
Stable fibreglass, corded elastic, diameter 11mm

Packing Bag
Polyester Oxford 500 Denier with PU coating inside and hydrophobic coating on the outside

Mosquito Net
100% Polyester on both inner tent entrances and on ventilating opening.

Venting
Multiple venting points on outer tent, inner tent vent can be opened or closed.

Zip Flaps
Large zip flaps for ease of opening

Net Bags
Outside of inner tent each side, three compartment net bags

Cabin partition
Can be removed and attached against the side wall to make one larger compartment

Windows
Two windows, upper window closed from inside, lower window from outside with polyester cover.

Ground Strap Fastenings
Strap fastening at entrances to prevent tripping

Awning
Packed into a zip bag over the entrance, awning guyropes and poles supplied

Repair Kit
Consisting of 4 x pegs, 2 x fibreglass segments, 1pc cord for poles, 4pcs elastic bands, 2pcs guy lines and 4pcs tent material.

I haven't brought what I consider to be a decent tent for years, but for 70 I am so impressed... even just the instruction manaul is a 11 page A4 gloss black and white affair that has been well compiled with useful information and pictures/diagrams.

I can't wait to erect it at the weekend... might even sleep in it with the kids who will no doubt be very excited... I just hope my first impressions are not unfounded!
# 10
Paracaine
Old 09-06-2005, 9:11 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Send a message via MSN to Paracaine

Bah, what's this lark about seperate bedrooms? Camping isn't about seperate bloody bedrooms! There has been three of us and our stuff in a small triangle 4 man tent many times, that's what camping is all about all being together and having a laugh. Seperate bloddy bedrooms in a tent...what's the world coming to? :rolleyes:
# 11
dfarry
Old 09-06-2005, 9:43 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Yeah not exactly bedrooms are they... my description I think...not theirs

Probably sleeping "areas" would be better

I know what you mean about all these luxuries.... my introduction to camping was back in 1981 MID OCTOBER!!!! <brrrrrrrrr>....on scout camp... in old canvas tents, with separate ground sheets, everything got soaking wet and caked in mud.... it wasn't nice but it was great fun!!
# 12
Jay-Jay
Old 09-06-2005, 9:58 PM

If it's anything like mine then 'seperate bedrooms' means "we have provided you with a bit of material that has 5 toggles sewn onto it, hang this up inside your tent to create a 'wall' and prepare for your children to constantly wedge their faces through the gaps so see what you're doing"

Your tent sounds great for 70, hope you have tons of fun in it....don't forget the vodka!

# 13
dfarry
Old 09-06-2005, 10:03 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-Jay
If it's anything like mine then 'seperate bedrooms' means "we have provided you with a bit of material that has 5 toggles sewn onto it, hang this up inside your tent to create a 'wall' and prepare for your children to constantly wedge their faces through the gaps so see what you're doing"

Your tent sounds great for 70, hope you have tons of fun in it....don't forget the vodka!
Vodka for the kids = No more wedged peeking faces!! = mucho sleeping bag action
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dfarry For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
xxbutterflygirlxx
Old 10-06-2005, 9:15 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Paracaine you've obviously not been camping with my 16yo daughter - you'd be BEGGING for separate bedrooms!
# 15
AlisonW
Old 10-06-2005, 1:02 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Just as an aside, I recently bought a '2 person' tent for my 2 year old to play in 8.99 (proper one not a play tent) from Tradex, serious camper, other half reckons it is fine for proper camping as long as you don't lay against the sides as it has no fly sheet.
You'd have to be very close intimate 2 persons though. As a friend retorted when I told her about it.. 'not for married couples then' .
Teenage son taking it on Duke of Edinbro' expedition next week. (doesn't know he's the guinea pig)
# 16
richto
Old 10-06-2005, 5:13 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paracaine
Bah, what's this lark about seperate bedrooms? Camping isn't about seperate bloody bedrooms! There has been three of us and our stuff in a small triangle 4 man tent many times, that's what camping is all about all being together and having a laugh. Seperate bloddy bedrooms in a tent...what's the world coming to? :rolleyes:
Being in a caravan or a hotel and having a laugh sounds far more attractive imo.
# 17
Paracaine
Old 10-06-2005, 6:23 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Send a message via MSN to Paracaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbutterflygirlxx
Paracaine you've obviously not been camping with my 16yo daughter - you'd be BEGGING for separate bedrooms!
I think you should hope that I haven't been camping with your 16yo daughter

(I am only 18 )

Quote:
Originally Posted by richto
Being in a caravan or a hotel and having a laugh sounds far more attractive imo.
Two different things, camping and hotels - I usually do both!
# 18
xxbutterflygirlxx
Old 12-06-2005, 4:46 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Oh ok you probably wouldn't be begging for separate bedrooms then!
The Following User Says Thank You to xxbutterflygirlxx For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
mhoc
Old 12-06-2005, 7:37 PM

Default re

You do know that buying the tent is just the start. Then you have to buy sleeping bags, another huge decision about size, quality and make. Also roll mats. And a stove of some description at least to make tea on plus a kettle, gas and a cooking set. Rucksacs as well or at least a basic day sack. Everyone needs waterproofs as well.... etc etc LOL

Also somewhere to store all of your gear in between camping trips ...

Mary
# 20
Jay-Jay
Old 12-06-2005, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhoc
You do know that buying the tent is just the start. Then you have to buy sleeping bags, another huge decision about size, quality and make. Also roll mats. And a stove of some description at least to make tea on plus a kettle, gas and a cooking set. Rucksacs as well or at least a basic day sack. Everyone needs waterproofs as well.... etc etc LOL

Also somewhere to store all of your gear in between camping trips ...

Mary

Absolutely

The good news for newbie campers though is that the supermarkets have caught on now and sell some amazingly cheap stuff. Fold away chairs for 4, roll mats for 3 even gas for your camping stove. (especially look out for the Lidl special offers)

For the average family who aren't planning a month long expedition to the Alps, it doesn't matter if they try it once, decide they hate it and never use the stuff again. Ok it's not the best quality in the world but hey, for 3 who cares

Closed Thread